2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%

(Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 809 | Reviews: 436 | Show All Ratings:
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev -7%

2004 bottle. Barleywine aroma. Yeast, lace. Good carbonation. Sweetness and accompanying spicey yeast, pineapple. The alcohol is ever present and a medium-full mouthfeel. Would love to try again in a year and again in five. Thanks Tim(IPFreely)for sharing. Second bottle 5 months later, harshness on mouth after the first few sips.
Six years later and somewhat sour. Great labels though.
Nine years later and very smooth spices, cola, caramel.

07-05-2005 02:37:54 | More by Sammy
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

Black cherry cordial beneath a three finger crown of attractive golden caramel foam. As the proportions of beer and head begin to reverse, I'm amazed at the fiery brilliance of the liquid. An ABV of 11% is probably a bit high to expect much lace, and, in fact, the glass is almost untouched. Still though, this is a very nice looking old ale.

The nose--by my nose at least--is indistinguishable from a barleywine. In addition to aromas of concentrated cherries and raspberries, there's a good bit of sweet caramel and fruit juice infused tobacco. Alcohol is present, as it will most likely be for at least several more years. I need more complexity and sheer force of personality to break out the big numbers though.

On the palate, I'm again reminded of a barleywine. The flavor profile follows the nose directly and, like the nose, could be deeper and more multi-faceted. I started the bottle out at barely cool so I don't think that temperature is an issue. Let's see what happens as the ounces disappear.

My taste buds are quite happy during the initial submersion. For such a big beer though, the flavor fades a bit too quickly, never quite reaching critical mass. I need more time to explore all of the beer's dimensions, but I can't quite get to the third one, the one that bestows volume and depth. I'm probably being a little hard on Fourth Dementia, but my expectations were sky high and they weren't met. That always makes me a little grumpy.

Caramel-drizzled, brandy-soaked cherries account for most of the flavor profile. I had a feeling that the hops that were present when this bottle was young (bottled on 8-1-04) have long since faded and that's exactly the case. There isn't a great of sweetness to counter though, so a huge hop load isn't needed at this point. The finish is on the short side for the style. The high ABV and the lack of malty assertiveness see to it that it's drying as well.

The body fills out a little from start to finish and manages to reach softly creamy by the final few ounces. It's nowhere near too carbonated, but a few fewer bubbles would have made the mouthfeel more silky and more enjoyable than it already is. This is a pretty good sipper though, I'm glad that I chose a snifter.

This bottle of Fourth Dementia has been biding its time in my cellar for over a year now. Given the 'best before 2010' on the label, I was in no hurry to sample the goods. After drinking it, I don't believe that it's going to improve from here on out. In the final reckoning, it's a good old ale, but 'great' never even crossed my mind.

08-23-2006 22:56:56 | More by BuckeyeNation
mikesgroove

South Carolina

I want to start out by saying; without trouble, this is the best old ale I have ever had in my life. It literally brought a completely new meaning to me about what this style could do. Simply outstanding in every possible way. Now that I have gotten that out of the way let me go a little bit more in depth.

Received a few bottles of this in a trade about a month ago; however, I was unable to get to one until now. I decided last night to pull one from the cellar and give it a whirl, as I had been dying to try this gem. Pulled it out and let it warm up to about 55 degrees before pouring it into a Selin's Grove snifter, which I had also recently received. Upon the first pour, I immediately noticed how dark this was. I t was completely opaque except for just the smallest amount of reddish brown that peaked through on the sides when you held it up directly to the light, but still this was enormously big looking. Deep mahogany tones at first gave the impression of an Abyss, with nothing coming up from it, but a few seconds passed and a beautiful looking tannish colored head rose up from it. At least two fingers high, it surprised me as I thought this might have been lifeless. The head went nowhere, I mean nowhere as it hung around for a good five to ten minutes, when it did settle, it was only down to about three quarters of an inch and that hung around throughout the entire session. Rich tan lace coated the entire glass and really just pushed things over the edge for me on this one. Absolutely perfect look.

So I went in for a whiff, I had to see how this was going to be coming at me, and again I was floored. Such a rich deep caramel smell coming off of this, literally took me by surprise. Nice aroma of oak and alcohol mixing and swirling around with it now, really starting to pick up steam the warmer it got. So complex, with rich earthy tones running rampant through it. The flavors, if at all possible turned out to be better then this. It was insane what I was sipping on here by this point. Almost at a loss for words, this was the old ale I had always searched for. I was thrilled to be having this. Deep malt bomb of the highest degree now taking shape all around me, utterly fantastic in every way. Warm oak infused notes of brandy like alcohol running over the tongue, so sweet and sugary. As you roll it around you start to notice there is a little bit of a bitter bite to this one. Way down deep under all of the malt, there was a subtle bitter hoppiness, very grainy and earthy, but it was there, and really pushed through on the finish. Long drawn out finish it was, really letting you savor every last bit of the enormous and utterly amazing flavor that this one provided. I am floored. The alcohol was so well blended, it was a deadly combination. Soo mellow and smooth, understated, it lured you in and would not let you go. The body was as rich and smooth as the flavor. Huge creamy body on this, and I found the carbonation to be spot on as well. It was just soo complex, with every sip letting you discover more and more flavors. Deep dark fruit now coming through for me, really started to actually dominate the scene all together. Huge raisin and plum notes giving it that sweet but yet tart dark fruit flavor we all come to love. A spicy touch in the back perhaps, but here comes that little bit of bitterness to wrap it all up. Wow, this was amazing.

Overall, I do not know what else I can really say about this one. It was, to be it in context, not only the single best Old Ale I have ever had. This may honestly be my favorite beer I have ever had, it was just that good. It is everything you want in a late night sipper, to me it was just perfect, I could not think of another thing that could be done. You must get this and send it to me, I have to have this one again. Fantastic in every way.

03-18-2008 02:51:21 | More by mikesgroove
womencantsail

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

A huge thanks to Derek for sending me this beer some time ago. Finally got around to opening it last night. Shared with some deserving souls.

A: The pour is amber/leaning toward mahogany color with a minimal off-white head.

S: Lots of sweet caramel, toffee, brown sugar, dark fruits, honey, alcohol, and maple syrup. I'm sure that I missed something, but there are just so many aromas going on.

T: A similarly decadent array of flavors comes through as soon as this one hits your tongue. A mix of dark fruits, maple syrup, honey, toffee, caramel, and brown sugar. A touch of alcohol, but it's almost reminiscent of bourbon.

M: The body is full with a low carbonation and really smooth on the tongue.

D: I'm a big fan of Kuhnhenn and this beer is one of the reasons. An amazing beer and maybe the best Old Ale around.

08-12-2010 22:43:06 | More by womencantsail
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle courtesy of Kryptic: Poured a cloudy burgundy color ale with a small head with minimal retention and some lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with some dry fruit characteristics. Taste is also dominated by sweet malt notes with some dry fruits (plums, figs). Full body with limited filtration and some low carbonation. No alcohol was discernable which is quiet a feta considering the ABV in this beer. Not as complex as I was expecting but very good nonetheless; a great late night sipper for sure.

05-06-2008 20:18:29 | More by Phyl21ca
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Fourth Dementia has all the qualities of world class English Barleywines but with a lighter and evaporative body that makes it seductivley drinkable.

The beer pours a rich mohogany hue, moderate haze and a creamy barley stained head. Good lacing and light legging make this one masculine and handsome beer.

Rich aromas of deep molassas, sorghum, toffee, and stone fruits make a dramatic and pronounced impact from the nose. Rum and fruitcake notes give as much complexity as you can expect any one beer to hold.

Succulent flavors of molassas, charred toffee, peanut brittle and brandy show up front. Plumbs, figs, dates, raisons, bruised cherries, and prunes show a well-aged estery mix throughout. Sweeter rums, fruitcake breadiness and light chocolates also add to the complex matrix of the beer. Moderate aged notes of sherry and soy make their way into the savory mix and with pin-point precision in the beer's balance. Absolute complexity and variation with supurb balance and error-free in this 2-year vintage.

I expect a thick and syrupy texture that would be similar to the J.W. Lees and Thomas Hardey's but the beer's light dryness and ample carbonation lifts the beer off of the tongue and away from the palate- allowing for a cotton candy evaporation that is both satisfying and seductive, leaving me wanting the next sip far too soon for a nearly 12% beer.

Fourth Dementia tastes as rich and deep as any big beer but with the drinkability of a 6% beer. This equals danger with me.

Thank you waltonc, you sir are a class act!

02-27-2010 04:09:32 | More by BEERchitect
Thorpe429

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Picked up at Kuhnhenn a few days after Christmas 2009.

A: Pours a fairly-dark brown with a few mahogany highlights. Pours with a nice tan head and a bit of lacing.

S: Very, very nice and quite complex. Lots of dark malt and accompanying sweetness alongside some dark fruits, cherry, brown sugar, honey, and hints of alcohol.

T: Similar to the smell, with a whole bunch of things going on. A bit of alcohol, which will likely subside with some time, exists alongside loads of sweet malt, brown sugar, caramel, dark fruits, cherry, and raisins.

M: Medium body with a bit too much alcohol at this point, although I'm sure this will meld together very well in time.

D: Incredibly complex and smooth for the alcohol volume it has, this is definitely one to hold onto for a while.

03-08-2010 05:02:12 | More by Thorpe429
metter98

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is dark red and poured with virtually no head.
S: Hints of cherries are present in the aroma.
T: The beer tastes strong with notes of cherry flavors and malty sweetness along with hints of alcohol.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a light amount of carbonation.
O: This beer goes down very easily considering its strength.

12-17-2011 04:34:20 | More by metter98
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, reddish-brown body with a small ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Lucious malt aroma with notes of caramel, dark fruits, and vanilla sugar cookies. Not too shabby!

Taste: Strong maltiness back by a rich, full flavor of toasted caramel and gooey dark brown sugar. Very light touch of roast. Some vanilla. Layers of stewed fruits. Mild, earthy hop bitterness. Soothingly sweet, warming finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. A bit chewy.

Drinkability: Well! That was quite a lovely old ale. I definitely recommend acquiring a bottle (or three).

03-25-2008 02:52:51 | More by ChainGangGuy
oberon

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottled on 2-16-05,best before 2011.Poured a deep chesnut brown with well formed light brown one finger head that leaves a trace amount of lace as it settled quickly.Oh the aromas so rich and decadent,nutty and portish with anise notes and caramel and alcohol dipped dark fruit.Chewey mouthfeel very pleasurable,where to begin flavor wise,those tawny port notes and quite raisiny upfront slowly merging into a nutty,woody finish I also noticed a touch of herbal hop toward the end as well wich was suprising and nice.Hmm this is a gem here would age incredibly just awesome.

05-07-2006 21:47:41 | More by oberon
TMoney2591

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Served in a Chambord shaped pint glass.

Big thanks to therealnomayo for this bottle, BIFed so long ago...

2010 vintage. I was hoping to have this side-by-side with the barrel-aged version, but the pleasant memories of that surprise bottle will suffice while I take this bottle down. It pours a clear sunset russet topped by a half-finger of dirty cream foam. The nose comprises buttery toffee, light booze, white bread, maple syrup, and a few drops of chocolate syrup. The taste holds notes of boozy caramel, dark fruit (mostly fig-like, I'd say), pine sap, sourdough, very light chocolate powder, and honey. It's a strange grocery list, but it all comes together pleasantly on the tongue. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a thick, almost chewy feel. Overall, a very nice brew, but one that seems a bit hot at the moment, making for a tasty but slightly painful drinking experience. That said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat...

08-23-2011 03:57:52 | More by TMoney2591
feloniousmonk

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Lovely mahogany/crimson color, nice 1/4" creamy cocoa head.
Aroma is vibrant, brimming with fruit, big in the alcohol department, rich and full of burnished fruit, cherries, berries, and grapes...sweetness, interrupted by booze, a satisfying aroma, fit for the best of any barleywine.
In the taste, delicious....smooth, and bursting with overwhelming fruity flavor...not too strong, either, just enough...massive malt, cherries and berries...
I'd anticipated this brew for some time, wondered about it, dreamed of it...love me barleywines, ...would Kuhnhenn's meet my expectations? So far...
...so good..
smooth, and delicious, ...whatever the alcy-hol is, I'm not tasting it...that's a plus...hooo. lordy, this is niceness personified. Oh, so perfect.
Fourth Dementia, you are my new hero.
I will chase you with a favorite barleywine, to compare, but am sure that you are his/her equal...if they are lucky ...
Enough of that, kudos, to the mastery over there in Warren, MI!

05-12-2005 06:37:14 | More by feloniousmonk
MasterSki

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at Winter Solstice - must have got a an unusual bottle, as it dates from 2006 and claimed to be "Brewery Aged". Shared with Dave for NBS, and served in a Willimantic pint glass.

A - One finger of dark tan foam that dissipates fairly quickly with some spotty lacing. Transparent cherry-red brown color with a few bubbles lazily rising to the top. Pretty attractive for a small pour of a high-gravity aged old ale.

S - Rum-cake, booze, dark fruits, raisin, chocolate truffle, and some vinous notes. It actually seems a little boozier than the listed 9.5% - doesn't seem significantly lighter than 5th Dementia in any case. There's also something the smells a little woody - but I'm pretty sure this isn't barrel-aged.

T - Again - lots of the same flavors - raisin, caramel, chocolate truffle, booze - There's also an oak/smoke aftertaste that lends a slightly sour or bittering quality to the finish. I'm surprised that two years of brewery aging hasn't mellowed this out a little more. (I'm also relieved it isn't infected, like many older Kuhnhenn bottles.)

M - Lots of residual stickiness, smooth, creamy, full-bodied, with some nice warming alcohol heat.

D - I split a 12oz bottle with two other people - probably ended up with 5oz at most - and yet it seemed like the perfect serving size. It's just so rich and boozy. Definitely a slow sipper, and perfect as a dessert beer or a night cap.

05-25-2009 03:47:20 | More by MasterSki
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

2009 release, acquired from raznug courtesy of the Under 100-3 BIF, so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color, with a thin light brown head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains brown sugar, bourbon, caramelized malts and some hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of bourbon, caramel and brown sugar. Then a significant alcohol sting comes in followed by a hearty malt character. The hops presence is mild but brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, ABV listed on the bottle is 12.50% so a very strong kick, very good representation of style, this is a solid stronger beer but there are others in the style that I would choose first.

01-01-2012 21:44:22 | More by TheManiacalOne
emerge077

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Craig & or Wes for this fine Michigan beer.

Poured into an Oerbier tulip, 4th D glows a ruby-copper color with a sticky layer of foam across the top. Some dried papaya/pineapple throwing off fruity esters in the aroma. Something rich and earthy underneath, a sticky sweet caramel toffee that carries over to the taste. Very rich and boozy, yet this is my favorite vintage so far in terms of balance. A warm blanket of dried fruits and rich maltiness. The alcohol is pretty well integrated, by now you know this is a slow sipper. More than one, and you'll be on the floor... also cigar-worthy if thats your thing.

11-15-2009 05:19:21 | More by emerge077
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Got this from Biergartenok, cheers Freddie!

2010 version pours a brownish-mahogany with a pinky of brown.cocoa head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Sherry, dark fruit & a touch of Bourbon

T: Figs, black currant, dryness, a touch of charred grain up front. Boozey figs as this warms, a touch of cherry & raisin as well, plus plenty of oaky dryness & kist a touch of woody & herbal hops & some toffee notes. Finishes dry, woody, herbal witm much figgyness, a touch of prunes that doesn't help the flavor, some cherry=flovred pipe tobacco & marmalaide

MF: Chewy with minimal carbonation, skews fruitty/malty, warming

This baby screams English flavor, hops are very subtle. This is a nice fire-side ssipper, would love to try a fresh bottle for comparrison, but this is tasty enough as it is

03-02-2012 03:45:01 | More by russpowell
drabmuh

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Bottle shared by Matt recently after I told him this beer was on my "long list." THANKS MATT!

Served in a snifter. Beer is dark brown and forms a thin off white head that still leaves some lacing on the glass but overall carbonation levels appear low. Looks OK

Aroma is dark fruits like raisins, sweetness with a back drop of apricots and pears. Interesting. May be slightly oxidized.

Beer is sweet with an apple middle and dry finish. The forward beer is thin but the body fills out in the midpalate somehow to finish with a medium to full body. Interesting. I think this beer would benefit from some age on it. Dirnkability was pretty good, mouthfeel was confusing.

07-02-2010 03:21:30 | More by drabmuh
Mora2000

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an amber-red color with a tan head. The aroma is brown sugar with some alcohol, molasses, maple and oak. The flavor is just as complex with cherries, brown sugar, alcohol, toffee and caramel. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very complex beer that I really enjoyed.

07-10-2010 05:30:40 | More by Mora2000
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottled August 2004; Sampled February 2008
A vigorous pour produces a half-finger thick, frothy, large bubbled head that is a dark tan, lightly amber tinged color. The beer is a burnt amber color and shows brilliantly clear, though chunky, deep ruby hue when held up to the light. Rich concentrated aromatics of oxidized malt extract, sherry, buttery toffee, caramelized berry notes, chewy grain and toasted brown sugar encrusted whole grain bread. A touch of warming alcohol combines with the fruit notes to provide some soft notes reminiscent of a refined brandy. As the beer aerates a bit it becomes quite a bit more fruit focused, the berry notes become much more noticeable as the aged malt notes reminiscent of Sherry meld into the fruit character.

Sweet up front, but this seems to dry out fairly quickly. The beer is quite light bodied for its strength, but still has a fullness to it; along with the ample alcohol, the body easily makes this a sipping brew. Chewy, caramelized malt notes combine with aged Sherry flavors, fruity raisin notes and browned, whole grain bread-like notes. The hop merely play a supporting role here, but do provide some flavor to this brew; soft herbal notes are found up front and pick up some steam with a herbal, slightly astringent, bitter note by the time we get to the long, lingering finish. Actually because this beer is not overly sweet, the hop character that is here provides a nicely balanced note between hop and malt. The alcohol, while not aggressive, is most certainly here and provides a warming character that sort of radiates down my throat. The finish has a bit of dark grain character to it as well; at times hints of chocolate and perhaps a hint of roast grain becomes noticeable.

Tasty, contemplative and interesting, I have a feeling this is close to peaking. When younger I think it would have been too sweet for my tastes, but the oxidation has started to temper this brew & the still noticeable hop character adds a nice balance to the rich, layered malt character. Not bad, but something seems to keep this from being great; perhaps it is a lack of a certain rich, complexity.

02-10-2008 03:20:49 | More by Gueuzedude
barleywinefiend

Washington

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a caramel color with a nice tan cap and some bubbles

S: Holy caramel, bourbon, figs, raisins and booze

T:Immediate caramel sweetness with some bourbon heat and a massive amount of residual sugar. Figs, riasins and tobacco are very prevelant in this beer, all the way through. Caramel, toffee and big sugar seem to be the key notes

M: Warm, sweet and boozey on the end. Medium to big body, well carbonated

O: Very nice but as sweet as this beer is a sure headache and sugar rush would follow on a single beer. Wow.

01-08-2012 15:20:29 | More by barleywinefiend
tempest

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Had a small glass at the Stag's Head. I had a couple other nice beers at the Stag, but man this one stood out. It wasn't overly thick and there's was no knock of alcohol. The flavor was a rich mix of dates, raisins, caramel, and cocoa. There were mild hints of toffee, cola, and grapefruit hops to round this out, making for a fantastic dessert beer.

09-05-2011 00:30:05 | More by tempest
mdfb79

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. 2009 vintage. Received as an extra from wunderbeer in a trade, big thanks Ron, I've really been wanting to try this one!

a - Pours a dark mahogany brown color with one finger of fluffy very light tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Little bit of lacing left on the glass and head lasts for two to three minutes.

s - Smells of caramel malts, chocolate, dark fruits, especially raisins, toffee, light vanilla, light molasses, and light alcohol. As it warms up also a little cherries comes out. Wow, one of the best smelling Old Ales I've ever smelled. As it warms up so many different smells come out, yet it stays balanced.

t - Tastes of raisins, dates, dark fruits, molasses, sugar, caramel malts, sweet fruity malts, licorice, light toffee, and alcohol. Still good, but a clear step down from the nose.

m - Medium to full rich body and low
carbonation. The body is very smooth and creamy, and the alcohol is very well hidden.

d - A really great Old Ale; one of the better ones I've had. I thought this beer smelled amazing and was very complex and balanced. While the taste was a step down and a tiny disappointment after the smell, it was still very good. I thought it also had an amazing mouthfeel and while definitely a sipper, the ABV is well hidden. Would love to get more of this one.

12-17-2010 01:31:53 | More by mdfb79
rhoadsrage

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2007
(Served in a snifter)
Thanks to sarcastro for the trade
A- This beer pours a dark brown dense body with a faint amber hue to it. On top is a sticky light tan head that fades in the middle but last around the edges.

S- The smell of caramel malt has notes of darker roasted malt and cinnamon tree bark with a pine needle hop finish.

T- The rich caramel malt flavor is very full with a slight sweetness and a graham note that is almost inky in flavor. There is a faint cinnamon quality to the malt. This big malt flavor blends with the woody bitter notes of piney hops that has a faint mint quality to it. The caramel sweetness lingers just a bit blending with the alcohol nicely.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a very soft alcohol heat making my tongue beg for more. As the beer warms the alcohol increases pulling out the hop flavors and malt flavors at the finish.

D- This beer has a great bold flavor of malt with some interesting malt flavors to it and a nice hop support. The depth seems to unveil itself as the beer warms and this is a great example of this style. I would be interested to see what this beer taste like as it ages becuase the hops add so much to it fresh.

05-30-2008 19:53:46 | More by rhoadsrage
Wasatch

Utah

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks stouty1 for the brew.

Brewed On: 02-16-05
Best Before: 2011

My first Kuhnhenn.

Poured into a chalice a slightly cloudy dark amber color, some carbonation, no head or lacing. The nose is of sweet/spicy malts, some hops, slight vanilla, and caramel. The taste is big of sweet malts, hops, and caramel. There's a nice oily/sweetness going on with first sip, then there's a slight dry/bitterness in the finish. Nice warming factor the whole way down. Medium body, nice rounded brew. Very drinkable, but watch out, LOL This is a very tasty Old Ale, hopefully I will get a chance to try out other Kuhnhenn brew's soon.

03-14-2007 23:19:57 | More by Wasatch
corby112

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

2010 vintage courtesy of mikey711. Thanks again man!

Pours a dark chestnut brown color with ruby/mahogany edges and a half finger light beige head that immediately fades into a thin ring. Minimal spots of lacing left behind.

Sweet malt aroma with faint earthy hops and boozy heat. Lots of earthy oak/wood character balanced out by hints of caramel, rye and toffee. I'm also picking up some dark fruit, mostly raisin and plum and fig along with other dark berries. The nose is pretty complex with a good balance of barrel character, leathery malt and sweet notes.

Medium body and slightly syrupy with some soft carbonation and subtle spice up front. There's a slightly earthy, leathery character but this beer is bursting with sweet malt flavor. Hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, hazelnut and rye which are countered at the end of the swallow by a boozy hot finish with a decent hop bite. There's a decent barrel presence with a good amount of oaky/wood flavor along with some more sweet booze. This beer is pretty complex but is very hot at this stage and the ABV is not very well masked. It's 13.5% and you can feel it in the finish. Definitely a sipper that should improve with time but right now it's still a bit rough.

04-30-2011 07:31:39 | More by corby112