Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

2010 13.5%
2011 13.5%
4.23/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is dark red and poured with virtually no head.
S: Hints of cherries are present in the aroma.
T: The beer tastes strong with notes of cherry flavors and malty sweetness along with hints of alcohol.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a light amount of carbonation.
O: This beer goes down very easily considering its strength.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Fourth Dementia has all the qualities of world class English Barleywines but with a lighter and evaporative body that makes it seductivley drinkable.

The beer pours a rich mohogany hue, moderate haze and a creamy barley stained head. Good lacing and light legging make this one masculine and handsome beer.

Rich aromas of deep molassas, sorghum, toffee, and stone fruits make a dramatic and pronounced impact from the nose. Rum and fruitcake notes give as much complexity as you can expect any one beer to hold.

Succulent flavors of molassas, charred toffee, peanut brittle and brandy show up front. Plumbs, figs, dates, raisons, bruised cherries, and prunes show a well-aged estery mix throughout. Sweeter rums, fruitcake breadiness and light chocolates also add to the complex matrix of the beer. Moderate aged notes of sherry and soy make their way into the savory mix and with pin-point precision in the beer's balance. Absolute complexity and variation with supurb balance and error-free in this 2-year vintage.

I expect a thick and syrupy texture that would be similar to the J.W. Lees and Thomas Hardey's but the beer's light dryness and ample carbonation lifts the beer off of the tongue and away from the palate- allowing for a cotton candy evaporation that is both satisfying and seductive, leaving me wanting the next sip far too soon for a nearly 12% beer.

Fourth Dementia tastes as rich and deep as any big beer but with the drinkability of a 6% beer. This equals danger with me.

Thank you waltonc, you sir are a class act!

Bottle courtesy of Kryptic: Poured a cloudy burgundy color ale with a small head with minimal retention and some lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with some dry fruit characteristics. Taste is also dominated by sweet malt notes with some dry fruits (plums, figs). Full body with limited filtration and some low carbonation. No alcohol was discernable which is quiet a feta considering the ABV in this beer. Not as complex as I was expecting but very good nonetheless; a great late night sipper for sure.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Black cherry cordial beneath a three finger crown of attractive golden caramel foam. As the proportions of beer and head begin to reverse, I'm amazed at the fiery brilliance of the liquid. An ABV of 11% is probably a bit high to expect much lace, and, in fact, the glass is almost untouched. Still though, this is a very nice looking old ale.

The nose--by my nose at least--is indistinguishable from a barleywine. In addition to aromas of concentrated cherries and raspberries, there's a good bit of sweet caramel and fruit juice infused tobacco. Alcohol is present, as it will most likely be for at least several more years. I need more complexity and sheer force of personality to break out the big numbers though.

On the palate, I'm again reminded of a barleywine. The flavor profile follows the nose directly and, like the nose, could be deeper and more multi-faceted. I started the bottle out at barely cool so I don't think that temperature is an issue. Let's see what happens as the ounces disappear.

My taste buds are quite happy during the initial submersion. For such a big beer though, the flavor fades a bit too quickly, never quite reaching critical mass. I need more time to explore all of the beer's dimensions, but I can't quite get to the third one, the one that bestows volume and depth. I'm probably being a little hard on Fourth Dementia, but my expectations were sky high and they weren't met. That always makes me a little grumpy.

Caramel-drizzled, brandy-soaked cherries account for most of the flavor profile. I had a feeling that the hops that were present when this bottle was young (bottled on 8-1-04) have long since faded and that's exactly the case. There isn't a great of sweetness to counter though, so a huge hop load isn't needed at this point. The finish is on the short side for the style. The high ABV and the lack of malty assertiveness see to it that it's drying as well.

The body fills out a little from start to finish and manages to reach softly creamy by the final few ounces. It's nowhere near too carbonated, but a few fewer bubbles would have made the mouthfeel more silky and more enjoyable than it already is. This is a pretty good sipper though, I'm glad that I chose a snifter.

This bottle of Fourth Dementia has been biding its time in my cellar for over a year now. Given the 'best before 2010' on the label, I was in no hurry to sample the goods. After drinking it, I don't believe that it's going to improve from here on out. In the final reckoning, it's a good old ale, but 'great' never even crossed my mind.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

I want to start out by saying; without trouble, this is the best old ale I have ever had in my life. It literally brought a completely new meaning to me about what this style could do. Simply outstanding in every possible way. Now that I have gotten that out of the way let me go a little bit more in depth.

Received a few bottles of this in a trade about a month ago; however, I was unable to get to one until now. I decided last night to pull one from the cellar and give it a whirl, as I had been dying to try this gem. Pulled it out and let it warm up to about 55 degrees before pouring it into a Selin's Grove snifter, which I had also recently received. Upon the first pour, I immediately noticed how dark this was. I t was completely opaque except for just the smallest amount of reddish brown that peaked through on the sides when you held it up directly to the light, but still this was enormously big looking. Deep mahogany tones at first gave the impression of an Abyss, with nothing coming up from it, but a few seconds passed and a beautiful looking tannish colored head rose up from it. At least two fingers high, it surprised me as I thought this might have been lifeless. The head went nowhere, I mean nowhere as it hung around for a good five to ten minutes, when it did settle, it was only down to about three quarters of an inch and that hung around throughout the entire session. Rich tan lace coated the entire glass and really just pushed things over the edge for me on this one. Absolutely perfect look.

So I went in for a whiff, I had to see how this was going to be coming at me, and again I was floored. Such a rich deep caramel smell coming off of this, literally took me by surprise. Nice aroma of oak and alcohol mixing and swirling around with it now, really starting to pick up steam the warmer it got. So complex, with rich earthy tones running rampant through it. The flavors, if at all possible turned out to be better then this. It was insane what I was sipping on here by this point. Almost at a loss for words, this was the old ale I had always searched for. I was thrilled to be having this. Deep malt bomb of the highest degree now taking shape all around me, utterly fantastic in every way. Warm oak infused notes of brandy like alcohol running over the tongue, so sweet and sugary. As you roll it around you start to notice there is a little bit of a bitter bite to this one. Way down deep under all of the malt, there was a subtle bitter hoppiness, very grainy and earthy, but it was there, and really pushed through on the finish. Long drawn out finish it was, really letting you savor every last bit of the enormous and utterly amazing flavor that this one provided. I am floored. The alcohol was so well blended, it was a deadly combination. Soo mellow and smooth, understated, it lured you in and would not let you go. The body was as rich and smooth as the flavor. Huge creamy body on this, and I found the carbonation to be spot on as well. It was just soo complex, with every sip letting you discover more and more flavors. Deep dark fruit now coming through for me, really started to actually dominate the scene all together. Huge raisin and plum notes giving it that sweet but yet tart dark fruit flavor we all come to love. A spicy touch in the back perhaps, but here comes that little bit of bitterness to wrap it all up. Wow, this was amazing.

Overall, I do not know what else I can really say about this one. It was, to be it in context, not only the single best Old Ale I have ever had. This may honestly be my favorite beer I have ever had, it was just that good. It is everything you want in a late night sipper, to me it was just perfect, I could not think of another thing that could be done. You must get this and send it to me, I have to have this one again. Fantastic in every way.

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%

A huge thanks to Derek for sending me this beer some time ago. Finally got around to opening it last night. Shared with some deserving souls.

A: The pour is amber/leaning toward mahogany color with a minimal off-white head.

S: Lots of sweet caramel, toffee, brown sugar, dark fruits, honey, alcohol, and maple syrup. I'm sure that I missed something, but there are just so many aromas going on.

T: A similarly decadent array of flavors comes through as soon as this one hits your tongue. A mix of dark fruits, maple syrup, honey, toffee, caramel, and brown sugar. A touch of alcohol, but it's almost reminiscent of bourbon.

M: The body is full with a low carbonation and really smooth on the tongue.

D: I'm a big fan of Kuhnhenn and this beer is one of the reasons. An amazing beer and maybe the best Old Ale around.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Dark but clear brown with reddish highlights. Half an inch of head forms from a gentle pour, which settles into a ring.

Smell: Dried fruit, molasses, old leather - very earthy and bold, the aroma really jumps out of the glass.

Taste & mouthfeel: Rich toffee-like sweetness with underlying notes of prunes and fruitcake. Hops come out mid-finish, earthy and herbal with a lasting bitterness. A mineral quality appears at warmer temperatures, bringing to mind iron. Heavy/syrupy on the palate with low-to-moderate carbonation, definitely a sipper but a highly enjoyable one.

Notes: Thanks to Dyan for sharing this one. This typically isn't my favorite style but this one definitely won me over.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottled on 2-16-05,best before 2011.Poured a deep chesnut brown with well formed light brown one finger head that leaves a trace amount of lace as it settled quickly.Oh the aromas so rich and decadent,nutty and portish with anise notes and caramel and alcohol dipped dark fruit.Chewey mouthfeel very pleasurable,where to begin flavor wise,those tawny port notes and quite raisiny upfront slowly merging into a nutty,woody finish I also noticed a touch of herbal hop toward the end as well wich was suprising and nice.Hmm this is a gem here would age incredibly just awesome.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear, reddish-brown body with a small ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Lucious malt aroma with notes of caramel, dark fruits, and vanilla sugar cookies. Not too shabby!

Taste: Strong maltiness back by a rich, full flavor of toasted caramel and gooey dark brown sugar. Very light touch of roast. Some vanilla. Layers of stewed fruits. Mild, earthy hop bitterness. Soothingly sweet, warming finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. A bit chewy.

Drinkability: Well! That was quite a lovely old ale. I definitely recommend acquiring a bottle (or three).

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Craig & or Wes for this fine Michigan beer.

Poured into an Oerbier tulip, 4th D glows a ruby-copper color with a sticky layer of foam across the top. Some dried papaya/pineapple throwing off fruity esters in the aroma. Something rich and earthy underneath, a sticky sweet caramel toffee that carries over to the taste. Very rich and boozy, yet this is my favorite vintage so far in terms of balance. A warm blanket of dried fruits and rich maltiness. The alcohol is pretty well integrated, by now you know this is a slow sipper. More than one, and you'll be on the floor... also cigar-worthy if thats your thing.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Served in a Chambord shaped pint glass.

Big thanks to therealnomayo for this bottle, BIFed so long ago...

2010 vintage. I was hoping to have this side-by-side with the barrel-aged version, but the pleasant memories of that surprise bottle will suffice while I take this bottle down. It pours a clear sunset russet topped by a half-finger of dirty cream foam. The nose comprises buttery toffee, light booze, white bread, maple syrup, and a few drops of chocolate syrup. The taste holds notes of boozy caramel, dark fruit (mostly fig-like, I'd say), pine sap, sourdough, very light chocolate powder, and honey. It's a strange grocery list, but it all comes together pleasantly on the tongue. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a thick, almost chewy feel. Overall, a very nice brew, but one that seems a bit hot at the moment, making for a tasty but slightly painful drinking experience. That said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat...

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

2009 release, acquired from raznug courtesy of the Under 100-3 BIF, so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color, with a thin light brown head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains brown sugar, bourbon, caramelized malts and some hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of bourbon, caramel and brown sugar. Then a significant alcohol sting comes in followed by a hearty malt character. The hops presence is mild but brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, ABV listed on the bottle is 12.50% so a very strong kick, very good representation of style, this is a solid stronger beer but there are others in the style that I would choose first.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet. The bottle says its from 2010.

Appearance: Pours a dark mahogany color with some light coming through the pour. There is just a small layer of light tan head that goes away very quickly.

Smell: As expected, this is a really sweet one. I'm getting a bunch of dark fruit and some caramel malt. I'm getting some heat in my nose from the alcohol. There is a mild vanilla note that shows up too.

Taste: Not as sweet as the smell indicated, but still very sweet. Tons of dark fruit and brown sugar with some caramel malt. The soft vanilla is there as well. There is a very slight tartness that goes along with the dark fruit. Towards the end of the sip, I'm getting some warming alcohol along with a bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick, syrupy side with tingly carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This is a really nice desert beer. I didn't expect the slightly tart note, but it didn't seem out of place. I enjoyed this one and would love to have more in the future.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Got this from Biergartenok, cheers Freddie!

2010 version pours a brownish-mahogany with a pinky of brown.cocoa head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Sherry, dark fruit & a touch of Bourbon

T: Figs, black currant, dryness, a touch of charred grain up front. Boozey figs as this warms, a touch of cherry & raisin as well, plus plenty of oaky dryness & kist a touch of woody & herbal hops & some toffee notes. Finishes dry, woody, herbal witm much figgyness, a touch of prunes that doesn't help the flavor, some cherry=flovred pipe tobacco & marmalaide

MF: Chewy with minimal carbonation, skews fruitty/malty, warming

This baby screams English flavor, hops are very subtle. This is a nice fire-side ssipper, would love to try a fresh bottle for comparrison, but this is tasty enough as it is

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at Winter Solstice - must have got a an unusual bottle, as it dates from 2006 and claimed to be "Brewery Aged". Shared with Dave for NBS, and served in a Willimantic pint glass.

A - One finger of dark tan foam that dissipates fairly quickly with some spotty lacing. Transparent cherry-red brown color with a few bubbles lazily rising to the top. Pretty attractive for a small pour of a high-gravity aged old ale.

S - Rum-cake, booze, dark fruits, raisin, chocolate truffle, and some vinous notes. It actually seems a little boozier than the listed 9.5% - doesn't seem significantly lighter than 5th Dementia in any case. There's also something the smells a little woody - but I'm pretty sure this isn't barrel-aged.

T - Again - lots of the same flavors - raisin, caramel, chocolate truffle, booze - There's also an oak/smoke aftertaste that lends a slightly sour or bittering quality to the finish. I'm surprised that two years of brewery aging hasn't mellowed this out a little more. (I'm also relieved it isn't infected, like many older Kuhnhenn bottles.)

M - Lots of residual stickiness, smooth, creamy, full-bodied, with some nice warming alcohol heat.

D - I split a 12oz bottle with two other people - probably ended up with 5oz at most - and yet it seemed like the perfect serving size. It's just so rich and boozy. Definitely a slow sipper, and perfect as a dessert beer or a night cap.

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company