Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%
2011 13.5%
Reviews: 447 | Hads: 1,007

I want to start out by saying; without trouble, this is the best old ale I have ever had in my life. It literally brought a completely new meaning to me about what this style could do. Simply outstanding in every possible way. Now that I have gotten that out of the way let me go a little bit more in depth.

Received a few bottles of this in a trade about a month ago; however, I was unable to get to one until now. I decided last night to pull one from the cellar and give it a whirl, as I had been dying to try this gem. Pulled it out and let it warm up to about 55 degrees before pouring it into a Selin's Grove snifter, which I had also recently received. Upon the first pour, I immediately noticed how dark this was. I t was completely opaque except for just the smallest amount of reddish brown that peaked through on the sides when you held it up directly to the light, but still this was enormously big looking. Deep mahogany tones at first gave the impression of an Abyss, with nothing coming up from it, but a few seconds passed and a beautiful looking tannish colored head rose up from it. At least two fingers high, it surprised me as I thought this might have been lifeless. The head went nowhere, I mean nowhere as it hung around for a good five to ten minutes, when it did settle, it was only down to about three quarters of an inch and that hung around throughout the entire session. Rich tan lace coated the entire glass and really just pushed things over the edge for me on this one. Absolutely perfect look.

So I went in for a whiff, I had to see how this was going to be coming at me, and again I was floored. Such a rich deep caramel smell coming off of this, literally took me by surprise. Nice aroma of oak and alcohol mixing and swirling around with it now, really starting to pick up steam the warmer it got. So complex, with rich earthy tones running rampant through it. The flavors, if at all possible turned out to be better then this. It was insane what I was sipping on here by this point. Almost at a loss for words, this was the old ale I had always searched for. I was thrilled to be having this. Deep malt bomb of the highest degree now taking shape all around me, utterly fantastic in every way. Warm oak infused notes of brandy like alcohol running over the tongue, so sweet and sugary. As you roll it around you start to notice there is a little bit of a bitter bite to this one. Way down deep under all of the malt, there was a subtle bitter hoppiness, very grainy and earthy, but it was there, and really pushed through on the finish. Long drawn out finish it was, really letting you savor every last bit of the enormous and utterly amazing flavor that this one provided. I am floored. The alcohol was so well blended, it was a deadly combination. Soo mellow and smooth, understated, it lured you in and would not let you go. The body was as rich and smooth as the flavor. Huge creamy body on this, and I found the carbonation to be spot on as well. It was just soo complex, with every sip letting you discover more and more flavors. Deep dark fruit now coming through for me, really started to actually dominate the scene all together. Huge raisin and plum notes giving it that sweet but yet tart dark fruit flavor we all come to love. A spicy touch in the back perhaps, but here comes that little bit of bitterness to wrap it all up. Wow, this was amazing.

Overall, I do not know what else I can really say about this one. It was, to be it in context, not only the single best Old Ale I have ever had. This may honestly be my favorite beer I have ever had, it was just that good. It is everything you want in a late night sipper, to me it was just perfect, I could not think of another thing that could be done. You must get this and send it to me, I have to have this one again. Fantastic in every way.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet. The bottle says its from 2010.

Appearance: Pours a dark mahogany color with some light coming through the pour. There is just a small layer of light tan head that goes away very quickly.

Smell: As expected, this is a really sweet one. I'm getting a bunch of dark fruit and some caramel malt. I'm getting some heat in my nose from the alcohol. There is a mild vanilla note that shows up too.

Taste: Not as sweet as the smell indicated, but still very sweet. Tons of dark fruit and brown sugar with some caramel malt. The soft vanilla is there as well. There is a very slight tartness that goes along with the dark fruit. Towards the end of the sip, I'm getting some warming alcohol along with a bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick, syrupy side with tingly carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This is a really nice desert beer. I didn't expect the slightly tart note, but it didn't seem out of place. I enjoyed this one and would love to have more in the future.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

A huge thanks to Derek for sending me this beer some time ago. Finally got around to opening it last night. Shared with some deserving souls.

A: The pour is amber/leaning toward mahogany color with a minimal off-white head.

S: Lots of sweet caramel, toffee, brown sugar, dark fruits, honey, alcohol, and maple syrup. I'm sure that I missed something, but there are just so many aromas going on.

T: A similarly decadent array of flavors comes through as soon as this one hits your tongue. A mix of dark fruits, maple syrup, honey, toffee, caramel, and brown sugar. A touch of alcohol, but it's almost reminiscent of bourbon.

M: The body is full with a low carbonation and really smooth on the tongue.

D: I'm a big fan of Kuhnhenn and this beer is one of the reasons. An amazing beer and maybe the best Old Ale around.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, reddish-brown body with a small ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Lucious malt aroma with notes of caramel, dark fruits, and vanilla sugar cookies. Not too shabby!

Taste: Strong maltiness back by a rich, full flavor of toasted caramel and gooey dark brown sugar. Very light touch of roast. Some vanilla. Layers of stewed fruits. Mild, earthy hop bitterness. Soothingly sweet, warming finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. A bit chewy.

Drinkability: Well! That was quite a lovely old ale. I definitely recommend acquiring a bottle (or three).

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Served in a Chambord shaped pint glass.

Big thanks to therealnomayo for this bottle, BIFed so long ago...

2010 vintage. I was hoping to have this side-by-side with the barrel-aged version, but the pleasant memories of that surprise bottle will suffice while I take this bottle down. It pours a clear sunset russet topped by a half-finger of dirty cream foam. The nose comprises buttery toffee, light booze, white bread, maple syrup, and a few drops of chocolate syrup. The taste holds notes of boozy caramel, dark fruit (mostly fig-like, I'd say), pine sap, sourdough, very light chocolate powder, and honey. It's a strange grocery list, but it all comes together pleasantly on the tongue. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a thick, almost chewy feel. Overall, a very nice brew, but one that seems a bit hot at the moment, making for a tasty but slightly painful drinking experience. That said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat...

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

2009 release, acquired from raznug courtesy of the Under 100-3 BIF, so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color, with a thin light brown head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains brown sugar, bourbon, caramelized malts and some hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of bourbon, caramel and brown sugar. Then a significant alcohol sting comes in followed by a hearty malt character. The hops presence is mild but brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, ABV listed on the bottle is 12.50% so a very strong kick, very good representation of style, this is a solid stronger beer but there are others in the style that I would choose first.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Got this from Biergartenok, cheers Freddie!

2010 version pours a brownish-mahogany with a pinky of brown.cocoa head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Sherry, dark fruit & a touch of Bourbon

T: Figs, black currant, dryness, a touch of charred grain up front. Boozey figs as this warms, a touch of cherry & raisin as well, plus plenty of oaky dryness & kist a touch of woody & herbal hops & some toffee notes. Finishes dry, woody, herbal witm much figgyness, a touch of prunes that doesn't help the flavor, some cherry=flovred pipe tobacco & marmalaide

MF: Chewy with minimal carbonation, skews fruitty/malty, warming

This baby screams English flavor, hops are very subtle. This is a nice fire-side ssipper, would love to try a fresh bottle for comparrison, but this is tasty enough as it is

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

12 ounce bottle into signature tulip glass, 2010 vintage. Pours dense and hazy dark reddish copper color with a small khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Some nice lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of huge raisin, caramel, toffee, prune, toast, tobacco, earth, wood, molasses, bread, cocoa, leather, and light herbal spiciness. Fantastic aromas with awesome balance and complexity. Taste of huge caramel, raisin, prune, molasses, toffee, tobacco, toast, leather, cocoa, earth, wood, and light herbal spiciness. Light herbal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark fruit, toffee, caramel, molasses, tobacco, earth, wood, toast, and light herbal spiciness on the finish for a while. Fantastic flavor balance and complexity; with no cloying flavors at all despite the long finish. light-medium carbonation and full bodied; with an awesome creamy, thick, and slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is extremely well hidden for 13.5% with only a warming present after the finish. Definitely a sipper, but is still very smooth as such. Overall this is an absolutely incredible old ale! The age has done great things to this, and I will definitely hold on to the 2011 bottles I have. Hugely complex and balanced stuff.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. 2009 vintage. Received as an extra from wunderbeer in a trade, big thanks Ron, I've really been wanting to try this one!

a - Pours a dark mahogany brown color with one finger of fluffy very light tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Little bit of lacing left on the glass and head lasts for two to three minutes.

s - Smells of caramel malts, chocolate, dark fruits, especially raisins, toffee, light vanilla, light molasses, and light alcohol. As it warms up also a little cherries comes out. Wow, one of the best smelling Old Ales I've ever smelled. As it warms up so many different smells come out, yet it stays balanced.

t - Tastes of raisins, dates, dark fruits, molasses, sugar, caramel malts, sweet fruity malts, licorice, light toffee, and alcohol. Still good, but a clear step down from the nose.

m - Medium to full rich body and low
carbonation. The body is very smooth and creamy, and the alcohol is very well hidden.

d - A really great Old Ale; one of the better ones I've had. I thought this beer smelled amazing and was very complex and balanced. While the taste was a step down and a tiny disappointment after the smell, it was still very good. I thought it also had an amazing mouthfeel and while definitely a sipper, the ABV is well hidden. Would love to get more of this one.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Lovely mahogany/crimson color, nice 1/4" creamy cocoa head.
Aroma is vibrant, brimming with fruit, big in the alcohol department, rich and full of burnished fruit, cherries, berries, and grapes...sweetness, interrupted by booze, a satisfying aroma, fit for the best of any barleywine.
In the taste, delicious....smooth, and bursting with overwhelming fruity flavor...not too strong, either, just enough...massive malt, cherries and berries...
I'd anticipated this brew for some time, wondered about it, dreamed of it...love me barleywines, ...would Kuhnhenn's meet my expectations? So far...
...so good..
smooth, and delicious, ...whatever the alcy-hol is, I'm not tasting it...that's a plus...hooo. lordy, this is niceness personified. Oh, so perfect.
Fourth Dementia, you are my new hero.
I will chase you with a favorite barleywine, to compare, but am sure that you are his/her equal...if they are lucky ...
Enough of that, kudos, to the mastery over there in Warren, MI!

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at Winter Solstice - must have got a an unusual bottle, as it dates from 2006 and claimed to be "Brewery Aged". Shared with Dave for NBS, and served in a Willimantic pint glass.

A - One finger of dark tan foam that dissipates fairly quickly with some spotty lacing. Transparent cherry-red brown color with a few bubbles lazily rising to the top. Pretty attractive for a small pour of a high-gravity aged old ale.

S - Rum-cake, booze, dark fruits, raisin, chocolate truffle, and some vinous notes. It actually seems a little boozier than the listed 9.5% - doesn't seem significantly lighter than 5th Dementia in any case. There's also something the smells a little woody - but I'm pretty sure this isn't barrel-aged.

T - Again - lots of the same flavors - raisin, caramel, chocolate truffle, booze - There's also an oak/smoke aftertaste that lends a slightly sour or bittering quality to the finish. I'm surprised that two years of brewery aging hasn't mellowed this out a little more. (I'm also relieved it isn't infected, like many older Kuhnhenn bottles.)

M - Lots of residual stickiness, smooth, creamy, full-bodied, with some nice warming alcohol heat.

D - I split a 12oz bottle with two other people - probably ended up with 5oz at most - and yet it seemed like the perfect serving size. It's just so rich and boozy. Definitely a slow sipper, and perfect as a dessert beer or a night cap.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2011 Edition

A: Pours a cloudy and opaque very dark reddish brown in color with some brown and amber highlights along with a light amount of gentle visible carbonation. The beer has an extremely thin sudsy dark beige head that quickly reduces to a very thin ring of bubbles at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of malts with some toffee sweetness and just a touch of cherry dark fruit.

T: Moderate to strong flavors of sweet malts with some notes of toffee and light to moderate amounts of cherry dark fruit. There are very light notes of lingering sweetness and almost no bitterness present. Light notes of alcohol as the beer warms up.

M: Just heavier than medium bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth with just a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish.

O: This beer has just enough sweetness and alcohol presence in this beer to make you want to slowly sip it (preferably on a cold winter evening by a fireplace) to enjoy.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

2008 Vintage

Poured into Duck Rabbit Snifter

Pours 1/2 finger of light tan head. Great retention. Color is a dark brown.

Aroma: A very warming ale. A lot of raisins, plums, and molasses. Some booze shows but it works for this one. Rich and malty. I get some toffee flavors. Nice.

Taste: Rich and malty. Toffee and caramel. Molasses is heavy with raisins and licorice. Not very much booze shows, but it is warming. Caramel and toffee malts. I like it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and warming. Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. It is a little higher than most old ales, but it works. Ends dry.

Overall, a pretty nice old ale. It is a bit malty, but I like the warming flavors. Much better than a lot of the other old ales out there.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottle shared by Matt recently after I told him this beer was on my "long list." THANKS MATT!

Served in a snifter. Beer is dark brown and forms a thin off white head that still leaves some lacing on the glass but overall carbonation levels appear low. Looks OK

Aroma is dark fruits like raisins, sweetness with a back drop of apricots and pears. Interesting. May be slightly oxidized.

Beer is sweet with an apple middle and dry finish. The forward beer is thin but the body fills out in the midpalate somehow to finish with a medium to full body. Interesting. I think this beer would benefit from some age on it. Dirnkability was pretty good, mouthfeel was confusing.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz bottle, vintage 2009 poured into a snifter care of StormKing47. Thanks Josh for sharing this brew.

This brew appears a hazed amber brown color with reddish hues around the edges. The head appears a creamy yellowish stained cap that laces with spots about the glassware.

The aroma of this brew is alcohol laden sweetness with a maltiness that come across like a mixture of vanilla and caramel. Some citrusy hops poke through the background.

The taste is extremely sweet malty caramel and vanilla with a ton of alcohol that is both fusel in taste and very warming. A toasty burnt flavor resides in the mouth lingering with a hoppy bitterness that is a bit herbal. Some of the alcohol comes across as fusel and increases the depth of this brew's flavor to extend beyond just sugary sweetness and into a realm of being more fruity.

This is a medium to full bodied brew with a light level of carbonation. It is fair as far as drinkability goes for a sipper, a little less cloying sweetness would go a long way. The experience drinking this brew is quite interesting. The flavor really developes as more sips are taken. Initially it is overkill with sugary vanilla caramel sweetness that turns to a more toasty grain, bitter and high alcohol presence. Each sip yields quite a different range of character. Well done.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle split two ways thanks to ahalloin.

Mahogany hue with a very substantial head and plenty of lace. Aromas of sweet tobacco, alcohol, rich malts, raisins. This beer has great complexity. My initial thoughts upon my first sip were that this instantly reminds me of a great English barleywine, particularly J.W. Lees. Secondly, this beer tastes much older than it is. I really thought the alcohol, while certainly not hidden, did not overpower the beer or present any undesirable harshness on the palate. There is a long, lingering aftertaste consisting of sweet caramels, toffee. Warming alcohol in the finish. Great beer. Probably best in small quantities.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

2009 vintage poured into my CBS snifter. It poured a murky dark brown color with just some faint traces of a head clinging to the edges of the glass.

The aroma has a lot of dark fruits to it with some prominent notes of raisin and fig coming through as well as a touch of cherry. A little sweeter, caramel malt flavor is there along with some alcohol.

The taste shows more of a sweeter component to the dark fruits with the cherry and caramel assuming the lead role. A little of the raisin and fig like flavor that was prominent in the aroma comes through in the finish. I get a bit of chocolate to it as well. The alcohol is a little better hidden in the taste as well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style with carbonation being moderate. Overall, it's a very good beer with some really nice, bold flavors to it. It's little boozy and sweet at times, which prevents it from being truly great though in my opinion. Overall A very solid beer to sip on this evening though.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

03/12/09- Received via trade with former BA member Jetsbeer.

Presentation- 2005 Vintage, bottled in February. Best by 2011. 12oz bottle poured into my Old Stock Ale glass.

Appearance- Deep cherry, mahagoney, burnt caramel color. Slight bubbly head on a fairly hard pour. Spotty and watery-like lace left behind. Not uncommon per style.

Smell- Very pungent and wonderful nose. Burnt and heavy caramel malt, sugary cherry notes, minor alcohol. Smells a bit like alcoholic brownies.

Taste- Thought this was much higher of an abv. Lots of flavor for it's strength. Strong toasted and roasted caramel malted flavor. Minor chocolate notes added with some raisin, date and cherry flavors. Fairly bready and the sweetness isn't too strong.

Mouthfeel- Very smooth and silky. Not really creamy. Mildly thick. Lower carbonation, but sharp at times. Nice dark fruity aftertaste with a light sugary coating.

Drinkability- Finally got around to drinking this after aquiring this in '05. Great and easy drinking Old Ale. Score for Kuhnhenn. Have my bottle of Raspberry Eisbock from '05 or earlier tomorrow night.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an amber-red color with a tan head. The aroma is brown sugar with some alcohol, molasses, maple and oak. The flavor is just as complex with cherries, brown sugar, alcohol, toffee and caramel. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very complex beer that I really enjoyed.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. THanks for the extra wade5614.

A real nice orange glowing amber out the bottle, hits with a muted brown and faint orange/ruby body. There is nearly no head on this beer, barely even a collar makes it through of faint tan color. I'd score this average but the body color is quite nice I must admit.

Interesting nose. Malty richness with a wooden feel to it. Molasses turned down in a sort of chewy sense. Strangely feels a little spicy and salty. Interesting, this salt and sweet molasess character melds nicely I like it. There's a hint of heat.

Rich tasting with an almost Flanders cherry character. Finishes with a faint black pepper and spice and controlled quick heat, but not boozy. Malty rich with a very light body nearly wet, and splintery character. Hints at Scotch Ale style smoke also.

What an interesting brew. As I sip on this, I am craving BBQ pork. Very enjoyable, even though some factors don't hit the A mark. Would love to try the barrel aged version.

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 2010 vintage.

Appearance - Deep brown with a surprising head. Wispy surface with a thin collar. Leggy on the swirl.

Smell - Mmm. A bit of oxidation, some wet sock aroma, delicious. Deep earthy caramel aroma.

Taste - Nutty malt flavor, earthy hops. Slightly less impressive than the smell. No real sweetness. Bitter finish. No booze.

Mouthfeel - No alcohol or sweetness. It's a sipper, but it's not really difficult to drink. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Nowhere near as good as the barrel aged version, but still an impressive beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Bottled August 2004; Sampled February 2008
A vigorous pour produces a half-finger thick, frothy, large bubbled head that is a dark tan, lightly amber tinged color. The beer is a burnt amber color and shows brilliantly clear, though chunky, deep ruby hue when held up to the light. Rich concentrated aromatics of oxidized malt extract, sherry, buttery toffee, caramelized berry notes, chewy grain and toasted brown sugar encrusted whole grain bread. A touch of warming alcohol combines with the fruit notes to provide some soft notes reminiscent of a refined brandy. As the beer aerates a bit it becomes quite a bit more fruit focused, the berry notes become much more noticeable as the aged malt notes reminiscent of Sherry meld into the fruit character.

Sweet up front, but this seems to dry out fairly quickly. The beer is quite light bodied for its strength, but still has a fullness to it; along with the ample alcohol, the body easily makes this a sipping brew. Chewy, caramelized malt notes combine with aged Sherry flavors, fruity raisin notes and browned, whole grain bread-like notes. The hop merely play a supporting role here, but do provide some flavor to this brew; soft herbal notes are found up front and pick up some steam with a herbal, slightly astringent, bitter note by the time we get to the long, lingering finish. Actually because this beer is not overly sweet, the hop character that is here provides a nicely balanced note between hop and malt. The alcohol, while not aggressive, is most certainly here and provides a warming character that sort of radiates down my throat. The finish has a bit of dark grain character to it as well; at times hints of chocolate and perhaps a hint of roast grain becomes noticeable.

Tasty, contemplative and interesting, I have a feeling this is close to peaking. When younger I think it would have been too sweet for my tastes, but the oxidation has started to temper this brew & the still noticeable hop character adds a nice balance to the rich, layered malt character. Not bad, but something seems to keep this from being great; perhaps it is a lack of a certain rich, complexity.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Had a small glass at the Stag's Head. I had a couple other nice beers at the Stag, but man this one stood out. It wasn't overly thick and there's was no knock of alcohol. The flavor was a rich mix of dates, raisins, caramel, and cocoa. There were mild hints of toffee, cola, and grapefruit hops to round this out, making for a fantastic dessert beer.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle shared by Peter of Flying Monkeys, 355ml bottle into some tulips. 2010 winter solstice release, thanks a ton Peter!

Pours a dark brown, with a tan head - transient, and falls to a ring. Big legs on this one. Nose has dried dark fruits, sweet caramel notes, and a hint of metal. Taste reflects this without the metal note (which diminished with warmth), more dried dark fruits - berries and currants, booze, caramel and something I kept percieving as oak, although I'm confident this isn't oak aged. Mouthfeel was medium heavy, with a moderate sweetness that's restrained by some drier qualities throughout. Great drinkability, and doesn't even come close to feeling like the alcohol content advertised. Need to get my lips on the bourbon barreled version.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks very much to WeisGuy for the chance to try this beer. Pours a dark brown, close to black with a thin head that fades to a very thin ring. Smells of licorice and blackstrap molasses, slightly treacly, and herbal, but not sweet. The taste starts with more of that European style licorice flavor- not sweet, but more earthy and bitter, in fact a deeply herbal bitterness is present in this beer, like Fernet Branca. To me, that is delicious, but be prepared for the amaro like bitterness. More blackstrap on the finish. Complex and delicious. Low carbonation and a tiny bit sticky in the mouthfeel, but still reasonable. Very interesting, I like this a lot, but I wouldn't call this a particularly balanced beer.

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company