Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%
2011 13.5%
4.14/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Nice dark brown slightly cloudy beer with minimal head.

S: The aromas of toffee, caramel, almond and mocha.

T: The taste of mocha and brown sugar, very sweet.

M: Good carbonation and quite syrupy.

O: Long finish.

This beer was brewed in 2011. (250 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

Dark, murky, and a little orange. Small head and spotty lace.

Smells incredible, like if Hibernation and JW Lees had an 11% baby. Toasted nuts, dark fruit/raisin, caramel maltiness, raw dirt, and strong cooking wine.

Tastes just as good. Sherry or Port (I get them confused a lot), fig, raisin, and another fruit I can't place. There is also a cranberry tartness that works well.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thick and creamy with soft little bubbles.

Very drinkable for an Old Ale. (479 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

2010 bottling, poured into a Duvel tulip. I'm really glad Kuhnhenn is starting to distribute a bit more; I got this bottle off the shelf :)

A - A reddish brown that turns to a beautiful, deep ruby when held up to light. The head billows up to fill the tulip, but then subsides relatively quickly.

S - mmm... sweet malts, lots of toffee. Not any bitterness or even a hint of hops. The complex malt profile is what makes me love old ales, and the smell showcases it nicely.

T - Quite sweet, but not cloyingly so. Not much hop presence than in the smell, but I don't mind at all. I don't know what they did to get these malt flavors together, but it's awesome. There's just a hint of alcohol heat which lingers in the back of my throat, reminding me to pause before the next sip.

M - It coats my tongue like a soft blanket: comforting and friendly. I almost don't want to swallow...

O - As my roommate said about this beer, "The only thing that could make this better is if they aged it in bourbon barrels. Oh wait, they did!" This is a stellar beer. The only old ale I've had which even compares is its bourbon-barrel brother. (1,129 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks to scottfrie for sharing this one!

A - Clear mahogany amber with a pretty orange hue and wispy tan head.

S - Strong but pleasant wine and bourbon aroma. Fruity esters present as well.

T - Complex taste of dark fruits (plums, figs) and a dark caramel malt. A little bit of bourbon in there as well. Quite sweet.

M - Medium to full bodied, relatively thick with low carbonation.

O - Well balanced complex beer that I would love to have every dinner. (459 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle. This brew poured from the bottle like thick syrup - a deep, dark, murky brown-red-purple with a slight tan head which eventually reduced to a few constantly swirling bubbles. I smelled this beast of a brew the second the cap came off. As intense an aroma as I've ever come across & a delightful one at that. Massive dark fruit notes are everywhere as powerful caramel & burnt burgundy cherries collide with dulled spicy hops & oaken woodiness to overpower the senses. From the moment it hit my lips I was in heaven. This extremely sweet, but perfect balanced brew overloaded my palate with pounds of dark chocolate & rich caramel. More delicious flavors of chocolate covered burgundy cherries, vanilla, and molasses compliment the mild spicy hops & notes of oak. Warming alcohol makes its presence felt from the start & only adds to the intense appeal of this brew. Minimally carbonated, but extraordinarily full bodied, this bad boy fills & coats the mouth like maple syrup. Finishes with some tartness, burnt molasses, & toffee. Aftertaste lasted for hours, though I wish it was days. Liquid heaven. (1,130 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz bottle poured into snifter on 4/11. The body is a dark brown with almost ruby highlights. Topped with a dirty white/tan head. Good retention and slight lacing. The nose on this monster is amazing! Caramel, dark fruit, vanilla, and a touch of honey sweetness. Once it hits my lips I'm in love... the alcohol is well hidden and the caramel, dark fruit, and vanilla notes shine. I detect some slight earthiness that plays with the sweetness perfectly. Medium body and low carbonation. Overall this beer is great! My favorite old ale to date- I will find more to age. (568 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

07 Winter Solstice Batch 13.5%

Poured into my giant snifter. Dark Brown with a tan head that fades leaving behind some lacing.

Smell: Carmel, Rasins, Plums, Alcohol, and Toffee.

Taste: Earthy Hops, Brown Sugar, Dark Fruits, Followed by Bitterness and a Warming Alcohol finish. Syrupy and Heavy. (299 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to scottfrie for this one.

A: The dark brown of a fine wood (mahogany) with absolutely no head and some definite booze stickiness. Nothing really stands out, but it does look good.

S: Sweet toffee and caramel. Almost overwhelmingly so. The usual hints of vanilla and dark fruit, but all I can think of is sugar. A little one note for me, but still good.

T: Yup, definitely sweet. Able to pin down the dark fruit that comes through in the finish, it's raisin. There's a lot of sugar, chocolate and something else slightly not as tasty. The bottle says marshmallows, which I'm not quite getting.

M: Hmm. Nice and syrupy. The mouthfeel is great with a nice medium body and a smooth finish. The booze is so nonexistent that I forgot to even mention it in the taste. Skillfully done.

O: Overall a pretty good beer. This isn't always my favorite style but Kuhnhenn did a good job. (886 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

2010 4D Olde Ale into Duvel tulip.

Appearance - 3

Red amber with very small creamy golden head, just forming a thin rim around the circumference.

Smell – 3.5

Very malty. Molasses, brown sugar, sticky sweet malt with notes candy sugar. Spicy aroma with booze notes.

Taste - 4

Starts with a caramel, toffee body with a presence of alcohol. Near the end, a spike of brown sugar and spice, with just a mild bitterness at the end. Get a fair amount of warmth from the alcohol, but not overly powerful. Flavours improves as beer warms and opns – flavours soften up and become much improved.

Mouthfeel – 3.5

Moderate thickness, a littly sticky, not really creamy. Wondering if the little carbonation is typical. A bit of astringency from the hops.

Overall - 4

A sipper, for sure! A nice beer that shows significant improvement as it warms up. Not a style that I've had before, but in many ways it reminds me of a barley wine. At first, put off but as I tasted it more, began to enjoy it. Would have again, especially during winter. Recommend. (1,055 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Purchased a growler for $15 at the Kuhnhenn brewery.
The Fourth Dimentia release party was on Jan 21 2006.
The beer menu states that Fourth Dimentia has an abv of 13.5%
Poured from a growler into a New Belgium tulip glass.

I sampled this at the brewery and just had to take this home. Its too bad they are not bottling this brew. Pours a very dark amber color. Just a faint amount of light can pass through. Bright ruby highlights along the outside of my glass. Absolutely no lacing, but has an oily, syrupy consistency about it. Heavy aroma of molasses, malt, candy, and dark fruits. Nice taste, very sweet, a combination of molasses, candy and maybe apple cider. It leaves with a slight alcohol burn. Slick, smooth mouthfeel and finishes slighly dry. Drinkability is tough due to the high alcohol content. Don't get me wrong, this brew has an awesome taste. But, after one glass I already have a buzz going, and I have a growler of this stuff. Looks like this will be an early night. A must try if you can get to Michigan!!! (1,032 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12%

12 oz bottle, 2007 version received in a trade from gkatsoris several months ago.
Pours a deep brown with reddish hues, almost opaque but a hint of light squeaks through the tulip glass just under the foam head. Off white foam with slowly dissipating lacing leaves the glass sticky after each sip.
Smells bready and nutty with hints of chocolate and carmel. No discernable hops or presence of alcohol in the nose.
Thick and creamy with a definite alcohol taste with a sweet and sticky finish.
Mouthfeel is very rich and creamy that finishes smooth and warms the mouth and throat.
Very easy drinking and an enjoyable experience. (628 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Had on-tap at the brewery.

Pours a very dark brown, almost black. There is an impressive tan head that doesn't last real long. I'm sure this is due to the high ABV. The lacing on the goblet is immense.

Smells very sweet; There are hints of caramel, toffee, and smokey notes. My mouth started watering at first sniff.

Tastes very very sweet. Roasted flavors are everywhere. There is a bittersweet finish. This beer is very creamy and heavy, almost a barley stew.

This is a great beer. It is the kind of beer that warms the heart and soul. I love it! (564 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours into a nice tulip glass at the brewery, chestnut colored and thick- looking. The smell is complex with a musky caramel and roast malt smell. Taste is heavenly- evolves over a few minutes from a smooth, somewhat sweet caramel and roast malt to a musky and oh- so slightly vaguely herbal flavor with malt predominance. Really beautiful in the mouth with just the right amount of heat. It was easy to slow down and enjoy this beer over an extended period of time, given the number of flavors going on here, and even easier to order another. Not necessarily easy to get off the stool and walk home without stumbling, though at 9.5%. So worth it, though. (655 characters)

2010 Bottle.

A: Pours a light ruby red color, with a 1 finger tan foam that dissipates quickly. Looks fairly syrupy.

S: Whoa, really complex. Smells very sweet, cotton candy, caramel, some prunes and other dark fruits. The booze is discernible.

T: Layers of caramel, toffee, raisins, a little nutty, and almost a brandy-like sweetness to it. Very sweet, but not in a bad way.

M/D: Medium carbonation, very thick, almost like syrup. Awesome texture, the booze is totally there, but it was pretty smooth and drinkable. I want to try again. (541 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -8.3%

Big thanks to Andrew for the trade. We opened a 2012 vintage.

Pours cloudy, murky brown. Smells of whiskey, carmel. Smells sweet - very sweet, some molasses.

First impression: sweet! Lingering finish has an herbal quality. Medicinal? Very hot. Probably needs to warm up before we can say more definitively what the taste will be.

Later sips: the herbal component stays in the back. The sweetness stays forward. Probably less balanced and interesting than my favorite Old Stock, but pretty good. Up my alley.

Nice thick mouthfeel coats the tongue. (550 characters)

Brewed on 02/16/05

Pours a dark brown, almost black color, with a decent, yet quickly receeding head. First whiff was delicious - sweet, berry-like and rich. The taste? My first remark was 'delicious'. Full and rich with licorice, berries, dates and caramel. Mouthfeel is delectable, rich and smooth. There's a faint alcohol warming on the finish. This is a fantastic beer to savor. (385 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Pours a dark chestnut in color. The beer is darker in color when I look through the side of my glass as not much is visible through it. When I look down on my beer from above it is much lighter in color and I can see the bottom of my glass. Not a lot of head on the pour. There is only a thin layer of bubbles collecting around the edges of my glass as the carbonation rises to the top.

S: The scent is sweet and syrupy like a fine rum. There is lots of toffee, caramel present with a slight hint of alcohol on the end.

T: The flavor is that of sugary sweet malt, with a heavy toffee presence. I can't put my finger on it but it tastes like some sort of sweet baked good.

M: A very smooth mouth on the beer, I almost want to describe it as "fluffy". Silky smooth with hardly any carbonation present. I am surprised that at 13.5% ABV there isn't more alcohol presence in the flavor or in the mouthfeel. I don't detect any alcohol bite on my tongue, but can feel my head getting warmer while I drink.

D: An enjoyable sipper that has all the characteristics of an easy drinking beer. I had no problem getting through the first six ounces of beer but have significantly slowed down since then. I will not have anything else besides water after I am done. (1,257 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

man, i just wanna stick my nose down in the bottle. smells like caramelized sugar, maple, some fig maybe. Taken altogether, this calls to mind a fresh baked rum raisin cake. Taste is sweet - all sweetness from fruits in the redish-to-brown spectrum, raisin, cherry, prune. etc. Caramel creeps along (not too much, as that's not a favorite flavor) and gives way to a slight hop bite that warms up the last few notes, leaving off with maple syrup more or less. The mouthfeel is silky smooth, not too much carbonation. An excellent sipper that isn't forcing you to sip with big alcohol, big malt, big hops - just asking you to savor. Definitely way up there in the style for me, even beats out Third Coast IMO.

Another big thank you to Hoppymeal for another great beer from Kuhnhenn. (781 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet. 4D poured a thick muddy brown with barely a cream colored halo for a head. The nose is malty and rich with strong notes of fig. Very pleasant. The taste is a rich malty sweetness with toffee and fig. The mouth is thick and viscous with minimal carbonation. Overall, this is a very decadent old ale that is far from sessionable but is very tasty and one I am glad to have tried. Enjoy! (426 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

12 oz bottle poured into large snifter

A: Almost black pour that when held up to light shows ruby hues. Very minimal head that shows light lacing

S: Lots of burnt sugar and brown sugar with dark fruits (some cherries also) and booze. I can tell this is going to be 'big'!!

T: I'm hit with a very dominant sweetness! The taste mimics the aroma with the dark fruits moving to the forefront and the booze is tingling my tongue---pretty hot.

M: I must say the mouthfeel is very nice. Nicely thick and syrupy!

D: 11.8%ABV and the sweetness would limit me to only one per sitting.

I'm probably not the best judge of this beer for two reasons: I don't have alot of experience with 'Old Ales' and I've never been a big fan of 'sweet' beers. Even the 'almighty' DL is too sweet for my tastes. But with that said, it is clear that this beer is something special. There's is alot going on with all the different dark fruit aromas and tastes that are going on. I got this as an extra in a trade and it seems that it's a pretty sought after beer. I'm glad I got to try it and if the situation arises again, I'll go at it one more time! (1,129 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks to Overlord for letting me share a bottle of this with him.

Pours a dark reddish brown. Smell is of molasses and malty syrup, with dried dark fruits (i.e. prunes, figs and raisons) dominating. Taste is similar to the smell, with some alcohol spiciness that keeps the beer from getting cloying. I could not see myself driking too much of this at one time, but that is ok as it should be sipped.

This was a long sought after beer for me, and it did not disappoint. (471 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A rusty burgundy, pours flat w/ a little soapy head and very little lacing.

N - Huge boozy notes up front flirting with suggestions of bourbon-whisky, vanilla bean, pineapple, sugar cane and toffee-ish. Reminds me of a creme brulee or tiramisu. Lots of breadiness and golden raisin maltiness.

T/M - Raisin bread, fruit cake, figs, more of that wonderful toffee-ish, candy-like bite, very boozy and warming in the finish. Leaves a sugary and resiny aftertaste that lingers. A little port-ish and I get some whiffs of nutty cheese, or maybe I'm just thinking this would be great paired with cheese. A velvety and gritty texture.

D - A total sipper, but very good. Would be tough to drink more than 1 bottle of this in a sitting. (734 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

2010 vintage, poured into my deschutes snifter.

Pours a ruby/copper burnt brick red with no head (although maybe that's just me not cleaning my glass right after its last use). Aroma of raisins, turkish figs, molasses, and biscuit.

The first sip was quite surprising - the fruit is pretty hidden in favor of a biscuit/pine/agave/alcohol taste, in that order. Most of the taste resides on the back of the tongue and throat; a bit, but very little up front where it seems like some of the malt and molasses could be lingering. As it warmed up some of the complexity in the aroma came forward.

Mouthfeel is nice and syrupy at the start and drys out a bit toward the end; just about right for a sipper.

Overall it's an enjoyable old ale and a complex sipper, although I wonder if 2 years was a bit more age than necessary. (823 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Found at country acres in a 4 pack 12oz bottles.

Pours deep amber brown with half finger head that disappears fast, but slight carbonation retained. Poured into a snifter. I can detect caramel, cherry, alcohol, and oak when sniffed, there is a slight vanilla smell also.

This came highly recommended, cheers Kuntz! Well worth $17 for a four pack. It has a nice balanced mouthfeel high maltiness caramel beginning that has a slight alcoholiness to it and deep vanilla and toasty oak flavors. I taste an almost bourbon undertone as well. It finishes smooth with a vanilla and caramel sweet maltiness. The alcohol is very well hidden and this a nicely balanced for 13.5% abv. I'm sure this would cellar well and I'd be interested to taste one a couple years old. Very well done, I usually prefer more hops, but this is delicious (827 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks to triptens for this. split with beavers.

body is a yeast-clouded maroon-tinted brown with an everlasting eighth to quarter-inch creamy, frothy head. simply beautiful.

smell is of fermented prune juice, hints of black pepper, bready sweetness, lightly cinnamony (mike said spiced apples, yes yes)

that brown-sugary bready sweetness from the nose is precisely mirrored in the taste. macerated prunes. black pepper just noticeable after it warms a bit. hint of tobacco. very reminiscent of jw lees. a slight bitterness and a roastiness round it out wonderfully.

ultra smooth, mouth is full of creamy goodness.

incredible. the heat becomes apparent on warming, but definitely within reason. alcohol stays masked behind everything. exquisite. (752 characters)

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company