Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%
2011 13.5%
3.73/5  rDev -12%

12 oz bottle, 2007 version received in a trade from gkatsoris several months ago.
Pours a deep brown with reddish hues, almost opaque but a hint of light squeaks through the tulip glass just under the foam head. Off white foam with slowly dissipating lacing leaves the glass sticky after each sip.
Smells bready and nutty with hints of chocolate and carmel. No discernable hops or presence of alcohol in the nose.
Thick and creamy with a definite alcohol taste with a sweet and sticky finish.
Mouthfeel is very rich and creamy that finishes smooth and warms the mouth and throat.
Very easy drinking and an enjoyable experience. (628 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Had on-tap at the brewery.

Pours a very dark brown, almost black. There is an impressive tan head that doesn't last real long. I'm sure this is due to the high ABV. The lacing on the goblet is immense.

Smells very sweet; There are hints of caramel, toffee, and smokey notes. My mouth started watering at first sniff.

Tastes very very sweet. Roasted flavors are everywhere. There is a bittersweet finish. This beer is very creamy and heavy, almost a barley stew.

This is a great beer. It is the kind of beer that warms the heart and soul. I love it! (564 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours into a nice tulip glass at the brewery, chestnut colored and thick- looking. The smell is complex with a musky caramel and roast malt smell. Taste is heavenly- evolves over a few minutes from a smooth, somewhat sweet caramel and roast malt to a musky and oh- so slightly vaguely herbal flavor with malt predominance. Really beautiful in the mouth with just the right amount of heat. It was easy to slow down and enjoy this beer over an extended period of time, given the number of flavors going on here, and even easier to order another. Not necessarily easy to get off the stool and walk home without stumbling, though at 9.5%. So worth it, though. (655 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

2010 Bottle.

A: Pours a light ruby red color, with a 1 finger tan foam that dissipates quickly. Looks fairly syrupy.

S: Whoa, really complex. Smells very sweet, cotton candy, caramel, some prunes and other dark fruits. The booze is discernible.

T: Layers of caramel, toffee, raisins, a little nutty, and almost a brandy-like sweetness to it. Very sweet, but not in a bad way.

M/D: Medium carbonation, very thick, almost like syrup. Awesome texture, the booze is totally there, but it was pretty smooth and drinkable. I want to try again. (541 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -8.3%

Big thanks to Andrew for the trade. We opened a 2012 vintage.

Pours cloudy, murky brown. Smells of whiskey, carmel. Smells sweet - very sweet, some molasses.

First impression: sweet! Lingering finish has an herbal quality. Medicinal? Very hot. Probably needs to warm up before we can say more definitively what the taste will be.

Later sips: the herbal component stays in the back. The sweetness stays forward. Probably less balanced and interesting than my favorite Old Stock, but pretty good. Up my alley.

Nice thick mouthfeel coats the tongue. (550 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Brewed on 02/16/05

Pours a dark brown, almost black color, with a decent, yet quickly receeding head. First whiff was delicious - sweet, berry-like and rich. The taste? My first remark was 'delicious'. Full and rich with licorice, berries, dates and caramel. Mouthfeel is delectable, rich and smooth. There's a faint alcohol warming on the finish. This is a fantastic beer to savor. (385 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Pours a dark chestnut in color. The beer is darker in color when I look through the side of my glass as not much is visible through it. When I look down on my beer from above it is much lighter in color and I can see the bottom of my glass. Not a lot of head on the pour. There is only a thin layer of bubbles collecting around the edges of my glass as the carbonation rises to the top.

S: The scent is sweet and syrupy like a fine rum. There is lots of toffee, caramel present with a slight hint of alcohol on the end.

T: The flavor is that of sugary sweet malt, with a heavy toffee presence. I can't put my finger on it but it tastes like some sort of sweet baked good.

M: A very smooth mouth on the beer, I almost want to describe it as "fluffy". Silky smooth with hardly any carbonation present. I am surprised that at 13.5% ABV there isn't more alcohol presence in the flavor or in the mouthfeel. I don't detect any alcohol bite on my tongue, but can feel my head getting warmer while I drink.

D: An enjoyable sipper that has all the characteristics of an easy drinking beer. I had no problem getting through the first six ounces of beer but have significantly slowed down since then. I will not have anything else besides water after I am done. (1,257 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

man, i just wanna stick my nose down in the bottle. smells like caramelized sugar, maple, some fig maybe. Taken altogether, this calls to mind a fresh baked rum raisin cake. Taste is sweet - all sweetness from fruits in the redish-to-brown spectrum, raisin, cherry, prune. etc. Caramel creeps along (not too much, as that's not a favorite flavor) and gives way to a slight hop bite that warms up the last few notes, leaving off with maple syrup more or less. The mouthfeel is silky smooth, not too much carbonation. An excellent sipper that isn't forcing you to sip with big alcohol, big malt, big hops - just asking you to savor. Definitely way up there in the style for me, even beats out Third Coast IMO.

Another big thank you to Hoppymeal for another great beer from Kuhnhenn. (781 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet. 4D poured a thick muddy brown with barely a cream colored halo for a head. The nose is malty and rich with strong notes of fig. Very pleasant. The taste is a rich malty sweetness with toffee and fig. The mouth is thick and viscous with minimal carbonation. Overall, this is a very decadent old ale that is far from sessionable but is very tasty and one I am glad to have tried. Enjoy! (426 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

12 oz bottle poured into large snifter

A: Almost black pour that when held up to light shows ruby hues. Very minimal head that shows light lacing

S: Lots of burnt sugar and brown sugar with dark fruits (some cherries also) and booze. I can tell this is going to be 'big'!!

T: I'm hit with a very dominant sweetness! The taste mimics the aroma with the dark fruits moving to the forefront and the booze is tingling my tongue---pretty hot.

M: I must say the mouthfeel is very nice. Nicely thick and syrupy!

D: 11.8%ABV and the sweetness would limit me to only one per sitting.

I'm probably not the best judge of this beer for two reasons: I don't have alot of experience with 'Old Ales' and I've never been a big fan of 'sweet' beers. Even the 'almighty' DL is too sweet for my tastes. But with that said, it is clear that this beer is something special. There's is alot going on with all the different dark fruit aromas and tastes that are going on. I got this as an extra in a trade and it seems that it's a pretty sought after beer. I'm glad I got to try it and if the situation arises again, I'll go at it one more time! (1,129 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks to Overlord for letting me share a bottle of this with him.

Pours a dark reddish brown. Smell is of molasses and malty syrup, with dried dark fruits (i.e. prunes, figs and raisons) dominating. Taste is similar to the smell, with some alcohol spiciness that keeps the beer from getting cloying. I could not see myself driking too much of this at one time, but that is ok as it should be sipped.

This was a long sought after beer for me, and it did not disappoint. (471 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A rusty burgundy, pours flat w/ a little soapy head and very little lacing.

N - Huge boozy notes up front flirting with suggestions of bourbon-whisky, vanilla bean, pineapple, sugar cane and toffee-ish. Reminds me of a creme brulee or tiramisu. Lots of breadiness and golden raisin maltiness.

T/M - Raisin bread, fruit cake, figs, more of that wonderful toffee-ish, candy-like bite, very boozy and warming in the finish. Leaves a sugary and resiny aftertaste that lingers. A little port-ish and I get some whiffs of nutty cheese, or maybe I'm just thinking this would be great paired with cheese. A velvety and gritty texture.

D - A total sipper, but very good. Would be tough to drink more than 1 bottle of this in a sitting. (734 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

2010 vintage, poured into my deschutes snifter.

Pours a ruby/copper burnt brick red with no head (although maybe that's just me not cleaning my glass right after its last use). Aroma of raisins, turkish figs, molasses, and biscuit.

The first sip was quite surprising - the fruit is pretty hidden in favor of a biscuit/pine/agave/alcohol taste, in that order. Most of the taste resides on the back of the tongue and throat; a bit, but very little up front where it seems like some of the malt and molasses could be lingering. As it warmed up some of the complexity in the aroma came forward.

Mouthfeel is nice and syrupy at the start and drys out a bit toward the end; just about right for a sipper.

Overall it's an enjoyable old ale and a complex sipper, although I wonder if 2 years was a bit more age than necessary. (823 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Found at country acres in a 4 pack 12oz bottles.

Pours deep amber brown with half finger head that disappears fast, but slight carbonation retained. Poured into a snifter. I can detect caramel, cherry, alcohol, and oak when sniffed, there is a slight vanilla smell also.

This came highly recommended, cheers Kuntz! Well worth $17 for a four pack. It has a nice balanced mouthfeel high maltiness caramel beginning that has a slight alcoholiness to it and deep vanilla and toasty oak flavors. I taste an almost bourbon undertone as well. It finishes smooth with a vanilla and caramel sweet maltiness. The alcohol is very well hidden and this a nicely balanced for 13.5% abv. I'm sure this would cellar well and I'd be interested to taste one a couple years old. Very well done, I usually prefer more hops, but this is delicious (827 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks to triptens for this. split with beavers.

body is a yeast-clouded maroon-tinted brown with an everlasting eighth to quarter-inch creamy, frothy head. simply beautiful.

smell is of fermented prune juice, hints of black pepper, bready sweetness, lightly cinnamony (mike said spiced apples, yes yes)

that brown-sugary bready sweetness from the nose is precisely mirrored in the taste. macerated prunes. black pepper just noticeable after it warms a bit. hint of tobacco. very reminiscent of jw lees. a slight bitterness and a roastiness round it out wonderfully.

ultra smooth, mouth is full of creamy goodness.

incredible. the heat becomes apparent on warming, but definitely within reason. alcohol stays masked behind everything. exquisite. (752 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -64.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I am not sure if my bottle was infected but oh my god this was awful. Didn't live upto the hype at all. I like some of kuhnhenns other brews but this is not one for sure. (171 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Deep brown in color with a very thin head. The nose is quite expressive with scents of toffee, caramel, dark fruits, roasted malt and chocolate. The palate is not quite as dense as I would expect based on the nose. It is well-balanced and comes off feeling light even though it is a heavy beer. While this should age well, I'm not sure how it will change as the flavors already those that I associate with aged beer. (416 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

2008 vintage

Pouring this into my generic snifter it produced a ton of head. Half the glass filled with an off white, tight bubbled foam. Once the head subsided aromas of raisin, pear and yeast rose to meet me. For a high alcohol beer (over %11) only a slight amount of alcohol can be detected. They also covered the alcohol well in the taste. Flavors of port, more raisin notes, fresh apples and there was a very slight bit of smoke. On the tongue it has a spicy sharp bite on the taste buds and pleasant lingering after taste. This beer is a real treat and presents complex flavors in every sip. (598 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

2008 vin

Clings to the glass and everything. My palate, nose and eyes can't leave the beer alone. Woah. Burnt orange color matches the burnt sweet orange flavor. Sticky burnt sugar sweetness and citrus hop bitterness blend and become confection greatness. An indulgence. A slight amount of oxidation present on the finish. Great in all ways, proficient. saying this to my now emty glass. (388 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

Color- Deep, ruddy mahogany. No head to speak of.

Nose- Brown sugar, alcohol, sweet vermouth

Palate- Smooth, rich and malty. There are overtones of vermouth and toffee, and the mouthfeel is creamy. The finish is long and smooth, and I detect a mild, walnutty bitter tang in there. Quite easy to drink for a beer of this type. (331 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Kuhnhenn strikes again! It is nice to see the emergence of yet another fine Michigan brewery. Yet most importantly, this beer serves as an important challenger to a beer that has been held close to the hearts of Michiganders for many years.

The Fourth Dementia Olde Ale is truly the only worthy competition to Bell's Third Coast Old Ale I have tasted. Upon glancing at this ale, the drinker is met with its garnet hue. A deep whiff reveals its wonderful caramel nose. Not to be dissapointed, the flavors that emerge are right on par with what you would expect (hope for). Caramel, Graham cracker, fresh baked bread . . a bisquit/crystal nose that proves Kuhnhenn is a house run by those that love beer and respect the grains that contribute to these elixirs.

This beer is balanced delicately with a very clean neutral hop variety to lengthen its finish without overstating its malty qualities. Do not be confused . . . this beer is a malt afficionadoes beer. Pure, full and lingering. Yes hopheads (and I am one), malts have a wonderful vinous viscosity that we can re-experience in this beer.

Cheers! (1,114 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%

First (and hopefully not last) visit to kuhnhenn. Served in a 12 oz tulip glass. THICK, dark brown, bordering on black with a rich, tan head that settled to a film and clung to the sides of the glass. Very intense aroma. dark chocolates, peat, soy sauce, nuts, also very estery, and a prevailent earthy smell. Offered a taste to my sister, says it tastes like dirt. Taste was of (once again) rich bitter chocolate, mixed dark fruits, nuts, and peat. Also a whiskey or bourbon-like quality. Had to sip this one. Mouthfeel was full bodied and slick. alcohol made its presence known quite well. This is what i have been missing all these years. A definite eye opener. Such a flavorful brew, very fine work from those at Kuhnhnenn. Far and away the most interesting and intensely flavored brew i have had to date. Delightful. (821 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Got this one on a trade. Thanks StayWhatYouAre2. 12oz bottle, split with a friend, poured into two tulips.

A- This one pours perfectly. Beautiful copper to amber color with a nice foamy white head witch resides to a full circle ring off lacing that ad hears to the glass the entire way down.

S- Caramel, molasses and sweet malts dominate the front of the nose. I do get some mild banana and alcohol but is so nice to smell. All the components come together to form a nicely balanced aroma that is just wonderful. It reminds more of a nice barleywine aroma rather then an old ale.

T- Again just perfect. Lots of sweet flavors such as caramel, molasses, sweet malts and bananas. The alcohol on this is so nicely hidden. I again feel it reminds me more of a barleywine then an old ale.

M- Very smooth and silky. The flavor lingers and is very extensive. This truly is the best Old Ale I have ever had. It goes down so smooth that regardless of the high ABV I could sit and drink a few of these.

O- The best Old Ale I have ever had. It does remind me of a Barleywine and maybe that has a lot to do with it but still amazing. I like the faint banana flavor here unlike some Old Ales that remind me of a banana split. I would love to try the barrel aged version. (1,261 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Rapscallion snifter.

Appearance: Pours dark brown, almost black, with nice chestnut highlights. Minimal caramel/off white head. Lots of sticky lacing down the glass.

Smell: Sweet dried fruits, figs, toffee. A bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thick, bordering on being too slick until it's cut by a slightly dry finish.

Taste: Sweet up front; dry in the end. Roasty bitterness. Dried fruit. Alcohol spice. A bit of breadiness. Rum soaked fruit cake comes to mind.

Drinkability: This is a winding down for the night sipper. Very good but indulgence should be limited. You might want to split even a 12oz. bottle with a friend.

Overall: Fourth Dementia is a complex brew that drinks more like a sherry or a liqueur. It is potent and forces you to respect that while remaining enjoyable. I can imagine sipping this on a cold New England evening in front of a fire. [Now if only I had a fireplace.] This might sound like heresy, but Fourth Dementia made me think of my experience --limited though it may be-- with Sam Adam's Utopias. Not the mouthfeel perse, but the flavor profiles are very similar. I wouldn't necessarily say that the Kuhnhenn is as good, however, I would say that if you want a hint of what can be found in a bottle of Utopias try Fourth Dimension at a fraction of the cost to see if it's up your alley. (1,352 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

2008 vintage, 11.8%. ABV is quite different from other years apparently.

$23.99/6 12 oz. which is a bargain (1/2 off) compared to buying 6 drinks at brewery.

Pours dark toffee colored, semi-cloudy with nice thick head that dissipates slowly.

Smells like a malt soda.

Tastes very sweet, but is complex and comes in layers. The flavors change quite a bit from sip to swallow, and also sip to sip. Caramel, raisins, redpop, and has a little vinous quality. Enough bitterness to put up with all the malt - sweetness doesn't linger which helps to keep from getting sick from the high amount of sugar.

Thick on the tongue, creamy. Carbonation is subtle, however it is in good amount for beer.

Drinkability is good based on the need to only have one or two of these at a time.

Really like this beer, good to buy a six-pack and use one as a weekly reward for putting up with all the sh*t at work. Might be better to let this one age for a couple years. (951 characters)

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company