Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%

(Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003)

Nitrogenx, Dec 02, 2011

By far one of the greatest beers ever made. It is too bad this place doesn't get more reviews.

The Fourth is the best they make.

Pours very dark in color with a nice off tan head. Has almost a molasses type color too it. If you have ever had sorgum, you'll know the color.

How do give a beer the rich caramel, molasses, chocolate, leather and velvet taste and flavor? I don't know how the brothers do it.

This is a big beer, where the ABV is covered nicely. I have to limit myself to one per visit. It finishes strong & smooth.

I have 12 bottles, so I will give them a taste once the K-brewery runs out....carry me over until next December...

Pointman, Mar 08, 2008

page101, Nov 15, 2011

pest, Nov 17, 2011

kenm2118, Nov 29, 2011

2009 vintage.

Aroma:Tons of sweet malt in the aroma. Also dark fruits, caramel, and molasses. There is a little alcohol aroma coming thru.

Appearance:Dark reddish brown in color. Light tan colored head that doesn't stick around very long.

Taste:The foretaste has lots of caramel malty deliciousness, with some dark fruits, and a hint of chocolate. In the midtaste thru the aftertaste the flavors turn more molasses and dessert-wine like (sherry or port). The aftertaste finishes sweet.

Mouthfeel:Full body, lots of alcohol warmth, medium carbonation.

Drinkability:This beer is right on in terms of style, and deliciously rendered. There is a ton of complexity in all aspects of this beer.

fear025, Jan 08, 2011

This is what I call an after dinner beer. The taste is divine, taste like the beer version of a fine cognac, this is due to the high alcohol content of the beer. This is one of my favorite beers.

I am somewhat a world traveler and love to sample beer in various countries
so I have sampled a fairly large number of beers. I do admit the stout from Belgium was also divine.

stancpa, Jul 20, 2005

ereye, Mar 14, 2014

ajs4bd, Dec 28, 2012

jzdecourcy, Jun 24, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Many thanks go to Ben for sharing such an awesome and unique brew with me. Pours out a deep dark brown with a nice sized tan head. Strings of lace were left coating the glass and the head was revived easily with a few swirls of the snifter. Upon first smell of this brew I new this would become a favorite of mine. There was just so much going on I knew I would need more than this one to figure it all out. Smokiness was big as was the chocolate and roasted malt. Some dark fruit and earthy/woody notes were in there as well. Damn there was so much going on I sat there for a while with my nose just in the glass trying to take it all in. The taste was just as complex and enjoyable as the aroma. Dark fruits, molasses, chocolate malt and smoke seem to be the most upfront flavors. An assortment of other flavors were present as well spice, caramel, alcohol, woodiness and everything else you could imagine. Wow this is one amazing brew. The full thick body leaves your mouth coated in sticky flavor that seems to stay with you forever. Drinkability is insane, every sip leaves you wanted more to discover new things about the beer. If this was available locally I would clean the shelves of it, I guess that’s were the dementia comes in.

meathookjones, Feb 25, 2005
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle. This brew poured from the bottle like thick syrup - a deep, dark, murky brown-red-purple with a slight tan head which eventually reduced to a few constantly swirling bubbles. I smelled this beast of a brew the second the cap came off. As intense an aroma as I've ever come across & a delightful one at that. Massive dark fruit notes are everywhere as powerful caramel & burnt burgundy cherries collide with dulled spicy hops & oaken woodiness to overpower the senses. From the moment it hit my lips I was in heaven. This extremely sweet, but perfect balanced brew overloaded my palate with pounds of dark chocolate & rich caramel. More delicious flavors of chocolate covered burgundy cherries, vanilla, and molasses compliment the mild spicy hops & notes of oak. Warming alcohol makes its presence felt from the start & only adds to the intense appeal of this brew. Minimally carbonated, but extraordinarily full bodied, this bad boy fills & coats the mouth like maple syrup. Finishes with some tartness, burnt molasses, & toffee. Aftertaste lasted for hours, though I wish it was days. Liquid heaven.

garthwaite, Aug 13, 2004
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Dark color (somewhere between maple syrup and old motor oil), minimal oily yellow head clings to side of glass. Inviting and complex nose offers maltyness, bourbon, sweetness, licorice and ripe fruits (plums and raisins).

Taste is sweet and alcoholic up front, and becomes complex as the tongue dries off, with raisins, malty sweetness, and a scotchlike woodiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is rich, slightly full, but backs off as you swallow. Very low in diacetyl notes and offering a variety of esters in enjoyable restraint.

A surprisingly drinkable old ale. I’d like to have another, can you drive me home?

sparkydoyle, Aug 12, 2004
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

This one pours out and has olde ale written all over it. A dark opaque amber showing scarlet hues when held too light. Pours with a small quickly dissipating brown head that leaves very little lace behind.

Maybe the best smelling beer I've ever laid nose on. Hard too pull my face out of the Great Lakes Christmas ale snifter holding this elixir. First thing you notice is the vast amounts of toffeed caramel very sweet malt that slaps you in the face. This leads into brown sugar, maple, mollasses, dried fig, a bit of woodsy bourbon, dried cherry, alcohol, and a plethora of other pleasing delectable aromas. One hell of a smell!!

This beer is what all others in this style strive to be. Perfectly balanced with an over the top complexity. Upon entrance you get a sour bing cherry that leads into a mass of goings on in the mid palate, caramel, toffee, sweet succulent malt, dried fig as well as dried berries, a maple syrup touch, brown sugar, no signs of alcohol. The perfect beer for a dreary cold day like today. This beer screams age me, at least 5 more years of maturing was in this olde ales future. The finish is medium and has a nice floral bitterness that mingles quite well with the lingering sweet brown sugar malty heavan.

Mouthfeel thick and chewy and succulently sweet. I could drink this beer daily for the rest of my life and be happy. Great job from a great brewery.

mcallister, Nov 06, 2006
4.96/5  rDev +15.9%

tinaka613, Aug 22, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Got this one on a trade. Thanks StayWhatYouAre2. 12oz bottle, split with a friend, poured into two tulips.

A- This one pours perfectly. Beautiful copper to amber color with a nice foamy white head witch resides to a full circle ring off lacing that ad hears to the glass the entire way down.

S- Caramel, molasses and sweet malts dominate the front of the nose. I do get some mild banana and alcohol but is so nice to smell. All the components come together to form a nicely balanced aroma that is just wonderful. It reminds more of a nice barleywine aroma rather then an old ale.

T- Again just perfect. Lots of sweet flavors such as caramel, molasses, sweet malts and bananas. The alcohol on this is so nicely hidden. I again feel it reminds me more of a barleywine then an old ale.

M- Very smooth and silky. The flavor lingers and is very extensive. This truly is the best Old Ale I have ever had. It goes down so smooth that regardless of the high ABV I could sit and drink a few of these.

O- The best Old Ale I have ever had. It does remind me of a Barleywine and maybe that has a lot to do with it but still amazing. I like the faint banana flavor here unlike some Old Ales that remind me of a banana split. I would love to try the barrel aged version.

lanamj, Sep 08, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance - pours a brownish caramel into a tasting glass, two fingers of beer and three fingers of light tan foam. A mosaic of lace as the head slowly recedes. It never does go away, though, it stays at a solid bubbly cap.

Aroma - caramel and fruit. Cola, figs, brown sugar, Joseph's aspirin. Lots of cool aromas here, a fine palatte of smells.

Taste - big sweet, brown sugared malts. Some fruity notes, figgy and sweet, orange notes at times. A delicious wave of coffee on the swallow, where did that come from? Who cares...the aftertaste has notes of licorice and sneaky abv heat.

Mouthfeel - big and creamy, pretty well carbonated.

Drinkability - awesome stuff. Major props to crazynelson for hooking me up with a bottle of this. Man, this is good. A fine pick for review 1200, thanks Nelson.

brewdlyhooked13, May 12, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

From my notes of December 17, 2006.

Poured from 12oz bottle(brewed on 2-16-05 best before 2011!) a super dark brown with a good sized head of foam that slowly shrinks leaving a mostly solid layer that hugs the side of my glass in a most pleasing way.

The smell is....wow! Huge notes of caramel malt, molasses, and fig that just don't quit. The smell alone is woth the price of admission but, I got this one pro gratis compliments of Mentor!!

The taste follows the nose to a T. Awesome caramel and roasted malt that are just tickling my palate to the Nth degree. The molasses and fig that I noted in the nose are there as well as is dark fruit(plum) adding to the complexity of this Old Ale and making it, despite it's high abv, a most drinkable nectar. And yeah, there's a bit of warming as it goes down but the alcohol, for me, is not detectable in the flavour at all. From the first sip right through to the finish, there's no doubt that I'm drinking a world class brew. Yeah, it's *that* damn good!!

Bottom line: Fantastic! If I were given a choice of sipping on this or a Westy 12(different beer styles aside), I'd have a darned hard time making up my mind on which to choose!
Once again, kudos to Mentor for allowing me to try this tasty son of a gun!!

Bitterbill, Oct 06, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +14%

Damn near perfect. Without question the best olde ale that I've ever had. Exremely complex but still balanced. Very syrupy. Can keep it in your mouth forever and the longer you wait the more you find. Alcohol comes through in the finish, accompanied by a last-minute hoppy bitterness. It could be a desert beer - but there are so many layers to the malt that you don't really consider it a sweet beer while you drink it. A thick head was not expected for this style, however it did seem slightly under-carbonated - perhaps a bit more and the palette would be opened up to dig through the layers of flavor. As I continue to drink this brew, more and more I'm impressed by the finish - the alcohol dries things out and the hop-content thrives.

Hollister, Dec 17, 2006