Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%

(Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003)
4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle that I received from kryptic (gigantic thanks!) into a snifter. Not sure of the year but it looks quite old with a black and white label.

Appearance is a dark shade of mahogany with a cream colored head that is about one inch thick and with very tight bubbles. Some spotty lacing is left behind.

The aroma is bursting with malty goodness. Full on caramel assauly, very raisiny with lots of candied fruit aromas, and a bit of alcohol in the nose.

The taste is so much better than the nose it blew my mind. It begins with the caramel sweetness that was expected then the dark candied fruit flavors come in for a perfect blend. In the finish there is some chocolate flavors that come out as well making this one even more complex and delicious. There's even a bit of citrus hops coming through in the finish though they have obviously headed south. Easily the best Old Ale I've tried.

Mouthfeel is full and chewy with a mild carbonation that makes it so creamy and soft on the palate it's unbelievable.

Having not liked many Old Ales that much that I've tried, this one really blew me away. I wish I had more of this wonderful beer.

roadhouse, Dec 31, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

You get a good two fingers at first of light tan, creamy foam, mostly microfoam with a pile here or there of larger bubbles, above average retention with a brush of lacing here or there. Unusual clarity for the category with a deep cherry red veneer, only a very slight fade to more base orange around the rims, highly attractive. The nose unfolds at a langorous pace, layers of candied nuts, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, baker's chocolate as well as prune, black raisin, cherry, apricot fruit, elusive smokiness and mossy notes, displays a great deal of power without clumsiness. Full-bodied and then some, covers every mouth pore like rubber glue. Given its texture and overall sweetness, does stay notably fresh and in movement. Avalanche of caramel, toffee, crème brûlée, butterscotch, chocolate, brown sugar, you name it. Maraschino cherry, poached apricot, golden raisin, prune, fig fruit. Candied tangerine citrus adds more sweet and sour. Carbonation behaves like a lava lamp. An edge of peat moss, charcoal, tar pulls it back from the precipice of oversweetness. Even as it warms keeps its balance, although you do suspect you could light the surface with a match. No port handy, drink this beer.

farrago, May 21, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. 2009 vintage. Received as an extra from wunderbeer in a trade, big thanks Ron, I've really been wanting to try this one!

a - Pours a dark mahogany brown color with one finger of fluffy very light tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Little bit of lacing left on the glass and head lasts for two to three minutes.

s - Smells of caramel malts, chocolate, dark fruits, especially raisins, toffee, light vanilla, light molasses, and light alcohol. As it warms up also a little cherries comes out. Wow, one of the best smelling Old Ales I've ever smelled. As it warms up so many different smells come out, yet it stays balanced.

t - Tastes of raisins, dates, dark fruits, molasses, sugar, caramel malts, sweet fruity malts, licorice, light toffee, and alcohol. Still good, but a clear step down from the nose.

m - Medium to full rich body and low
carbonation. The body is very smooth and creamy, and the alcohol is very well hidden.

d - A really great Old Ale; one of the better ones I've had. I thought this beer smelled amazing and was very complex and balanced. While the taste was a step down and a tiny disappointment after the smell, it was still very good. I thought it also had an amazing mouthfeel and while definitely a sipper, the ABV is well hidden. Would love to get more of this one.

mdfb79, Dec 17, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

Found at country acres in a 4 pack 12oz bottles.

Pours deep amber brown with half finger head that disappears fast, but slight carbonation retained. Poured into a snifter. I can detect caramel, cherry, alcohol, and oak when sniffed, there is a slight vanilla smell also.

This came highly recommended, cheers Kuntz! Well worth $17 for a four pack. It has a nice balanced mouthfeel high maltiness caramel beginning that has a slight alcoholiness to it and deep vanilla and toasty oak flavors. I taste an almost bourbon undertone as well. It finishes smooth with a vanilla and caramel sweet maltiness. The alcohol is very well hidden and this a nicely balanced for 13.5% abv. I'm sure this would cellar well and I'd be interested to taste one a couple years old. Very well done, I usually prefer more hops, but this is delicious

ryantho00, Mar 13, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a growler (filled 3 days ago at Kuhnhenn's) into a pint glass. Special thanks to my dad for bringing this back from Michigan.

Appearance: Pours a dark cherry color, which appears nearly black when not held up to the light. A 3 cm off-white head forms upon pouring, but quickly dissipates to a lazy ring around the edge of the glass. Not much lace to speak of - do you expect much out of a high ABV old ale?

Smell: Quite a sweet aroma. Boozy cherry, soft caramel, and a variety of other dark fruits all make their mark.

Taste: The taste is strong and sweet, and surprisingly I did not find it cloying. It warms the stomach like brandy as strong cherry and caramel flavors give the malt some pop. Figs and dates come through right after, and a light earthy hop presence helps to finish out the taste.

Mouthfeel: The start is sweet and syrupy, but luckily it does not stay that way. Only light / medium carbonation, but with a soft creaminess it resembles a beer with less than the full body it has.

Drinkability: A great sipper. Great strong malt presence without being overly sweet. A variety of tastes, but it stays consistent most of the way through. A clean finish helps keep the taste refreshing.

KickInTheChalice, May 13, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottled on 2-16-05,best before 2011.Poured a deep chesnut brown with well formed light brown one finger head that leaves a trace amount of lace as it settled quickly.Oh the aromas so rich and decadent,nutty and portish with anise notes and caramel and alcohol dipped dark fruit.Chewey mouthfeel very pleasurable,where to begin flavor wise,those tawny port notes and quite raisiny upfront slowly merging into a nutty,woody finish I also noticed a touch of herbal hop toward the end as well wich was suprising and nice.Hmm this is a gem here would age incredibly just awesome.

oberon, May 07, 2006

Brewery Aged Version

A: Dark brown with only a mild amount of head that leaves no lace and does not retain at all. Slightly cloudy with minor bits of sediment as well.

S: Very pleasant caramel and toffee note to start. Also a nice hint of toasted almond and a slightly breadiness. Also plenty of fruit notes and a bit of a port quality

T: Starts off with the toasted almond flavor followed by caramel and brown sugar. Definitely sweet, but there is enough going on else where in terms of biscuit notes and toasted flavor where it is not cloying at all.

M: Incredibly smooth with no heat detectable for such a big beer, there is a hint of chalkiness, but for the most part smooth and on for the style

D: For such a big beer it is very easy to drink and highly enjoyable. I think it may be tough to drink to much of this due to the abv but one worth seeking out

mikey711, Mar 09, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

big ups to andrenaline for including this in our last trade
A - swampy brown, thin layer of consistent head, left nicely consistent lacing
S - raisins, molasses, light hints of pears and herbs, not even a tickle of the high octane
T - juicy rasins and plumbs, molasses and butter, sticky sweet to the last drop with just a faint hint of alcohol in the late finish
M - thick and sticky sweet, you would never guess its a 13.5% behemoth, just a little warmth in the chest
O - this is just unbelievable, sweet and delicious and drinkable to the point of being very dangerous, i would love to get my hands on another

joemcgrath27, Aug 14, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Rapscallion snifter.

Appearance: Pours dark brown, almost black, with nice chestnut highlights. Minimal caramel/off white head. Lots of sticky lacing down the glass.

Smell: Sweet dried fruits, figs, toffee. A bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thick, bordering on being too slick until it's cut by a slightly dry finish.

Taste: Sweet up front; dry in the end. Roasty bitterness. Dried fruit. Alcohol spice. A bit of breadiness. Rum soaked fruit cake comes to mind.

Drinkability: This is a winding down for the night sipper. Very good but indulgence should be limited. You might want to split even a 12oz. bottle with a friend.

Overall: Fourth Dementia is a complex brew that drinks more like a sherry or a liqueur. It is potent and forces you to respect that while remaining enjoyable. I can imagine sipping this on a cold New England evening in front of a fire. [Now if only I had a fireplace.] This might sound like heresy, but Fourth Dementia made me think of my experience --limited though it may be-- with Sam Adam's Utopias. Not the mouthfeel perse, but the flavor profiles are very similar. I wouldn't necessarily say that the Kuhnhenn is as good, however, I would say that if you want a hint of what can be found in a bottle of Utopias try Fourth Dimension at a fraction of the cost to see if it's up your alley.

3leggeddub, Apr 29, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Huge thanks to RocPorterFanatic for this brew.

A: Very dark brown in color, slightly hazy, and a quaint tan head on the top.

S: Intense malt, and a good amount of sweetness. Molasses, caramel, brown sugar and perhaps a hint of dark chocolate or licorice.

T: Sweet, with brown sugar, caramel, and dark fruits. There is a hint of bread, as well as an almost orange zest like flavor in the finish, you can't taste the alcohol as much as you can feel it. Very nice.

M: Medium heavy, carbonation is low, and there is a stickiness to it, that I think works in the finish. If anything it feels slightly lighter than I would have thought.

O: Overall a hell of a malt bomb to round out your day with. Delicious, smooth, and dangerous.

Beejay, Jul 07, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer poured a clear brown color with a thin tan head that stuck around for the entire tasting. The aroma was big of malt and caramel - very inviting. The taste was also MALT! It was complex with notes of deep plumb, caramel and brown sugar. The mouthfeel was full and lush. This is a heavy brew. A delicious sipper that I'd love to try again.

barefootbrewer, Dec 30, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

I got a bottle of Kuhnhenn's Fourth Dementia 4D as an awesome birthday present from my friend Ben. I'm a big Kuhnhenn fan but since they are still a pretty small operation I only see their beers at Beer Festivals or at some of the better bars and I don't get a chance to try their beers as much as I would like to, but I've been wanting to try 4D ever since I first found out about Kuhnhenn, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage, 13.5%. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A= The label looks pretty nice, it's just got a fancy and classy look to it with some shiny gold 4D on the label, it's the best Kuhnhenn label I've seen since most of them look like they printed on a standard computers printer. It poured a pretty cloudy and murky brown color that didn't let much light through and it looked even murkier when held to the light with a half of fingers worth of tan/off white head that quickly faded away to nothing and it left a really small amount of spotty lacing behind. This isn't the greatest looking beer, just by looking at it in the glass it isn't that attractive, but it's not so bad looking I wouldn't give it a try, I don't think any beer can look that bad.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a slight molasses aroma to it followed by loads of malts being the first to show up and they impart some great caramel and toffee aromas with a pretty good amount of dark fruits showing up next with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a sweet and noticeable boozy aroma followed by a little bit of roasted malts on the finish that give this beer a rich, lightly roasted and light chocolate like aroma and there's also a light leather like aroma. This beer has a very nice aroma, I think it's fairly complex and I thought the different aspects worked well with each other.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness which seems to be on the lower side, it's not cloying and imparts a slight molasses like flavor followed by some great caramel and toffee flavors with an equal amount of dark fruits that show up also with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a slight leather flavor with a pretty light alcohol flavor that is very well hidden and it's not nearly as boozy as I thought it would be. Towards the end comes a light tobacco like flavor with some roasted malts showing up at the end with a light chocolate flavor and a lower amount of bitterness with a caramel, toffee, dark fruit, and light roasted malt aftertaste. This was a very good tasting beer that was pretty complex with some expertly hidden alcohol.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, pretty rich, a little creamy, full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation that worked nicely with this beer. This beer had a very good mouthfeel that was pretty much perfect for this beer.

Overall I thought this was very good beer and very good example of an Old Ale, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale was my favorite Old Ale, but I have to say after trying this I think 4D blows it out of the water, not that Third Coast Old Ale isn't great, 4D is just pretty much better in every aspect besides price and it's just a more intense and complex version of Old Ale that is just as smooth, maybe even smoother than Third Coast Old Ale which blows my mind. This beer had great drinkability, the 13.5 wasn't nearly as noticeable as I thought it would be, it was fairly smooth, complex, rich, a little sticky, pretty filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I think one bottle would be the perfect amount for me and if I had the chance I would could probably drink two, but I'm sure i would be feeling it in the morning. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the alcohol was hidden, it seriously blew my mind that a 13.5% Old Ale could be this smooth, I'm very impressed by that and I thought the taste was awesome. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it just isn't a good looking, which overall isn't that big of a deal and I learned a while ago to never judge a beer on it's looks. I would for sure buy this beer if I ever saw it for sale, it's pretty pricey but I think it's worth it and it makes for a nice beer for a special occasions. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who likes Old Ales or big beers in general, I don't think this will disappoint. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I expected good things from this beer but all together it exceeded my expectations and I think it's an overall great beer and I would love to try the barrel aged version of this one day and I'm pretty sure this would be a great beer to cellar and I think it could get even better with time. Great work guys, I think the Kuhnhenns are simply the best at what they do and this is a world class beer, keep up the great work guys.

StoutHunter, Jan 12, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Picked this up in a trade thanks to MasterSki.

A: pours dark brown without any head. I was worried this would be flat and syrupy.

M: thankfully that was not the case. Fairly thick, sticky body with low, but present carbonation. I could have used a little more, but this was still very enjoyable.

S/T: this is where Fourth Dementia shines. One of the best smelling beers I've had. Sweet dark fruits and rich maltiness. Not much hops. Taste is more of the same, and I was also getting a little evergreen. Not piney hops-style evergreen, but a pleasant hint of spruce or something. Whatever it was, this is great. Wish it was more accessible.

waltonc, Jan 10, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

12oz bottle into AVBC snifter. A huge thanks to ipa247 for giving me this bottle. Really generous of you.

A: Pours an extremely dark mahogany red with a thin but dense cream colored head that faded to a thin collar. Not much lace.
S: Rich notes of vanilla, raisins, and caramel. Very sweet and a tad musty smelling with a hint of alcohol vapor, maybe sherry. Hints of fruits also.
T: Hits the palate sweet, fruity and alcoholic (port and sherry). Finish switches to coffee and milk chocolate but some candied fruit notes carry through. Aftertaste is full of sugar, tobacco and grapes.
M: Smooth medium-full body with soft carbonation and a slick mouthfeel. 12.5% alcohol you say? Where? There is a touch of warmth but this drinks great.
D: Hell yeah this is what an Old Ale tastes like! Sweet in all the right places but so very subtle and smooth. I could drink this for days. Alcohol is hidden exceptionally well. Again, I can't thank you enough Jeff for handing this one over to me!

scottfrie, Jan 13, 2011

5/18/2010

2008 vintage in a snifter. Bottle received in a trade with FlanderNed, thanks Steve! The beer pours turbid deep crimson brown with a voluminous light tan head, excellent retention, and scattered lacing.

The aroma is rich and malty, with notes of dried dates and figs, sherry oxidation, treacle, mellow alcohol, caramel, and toffee. Amazing aroma.

The flavor is luscious toffee. It's incredibly rich and expressive, with notes of dried dates, dried figs, treacle, toffee, caramel, light sherry oxidation, and alcohol. The finish is decadent and boozy.

The beer is full bodied with a thick and chewy mouthfeel. This is a rich, complex, and potent malt sipper. Highly recommended, though I'd suggest you share the bottle.

HopHead84, May 19, 2010

bottled: 8-01-04

Pours a great, deep brown. Slight head... swirls and goes, but decent. A beer with legs and no lacing.

Aroma is great. Maple, alcohol, roasted malts, sugary, caramel, caramel and caramel. Dried fruit.

Taste is very, very good. Biscuity and caramel-like. Slight alcohol burn. Fruity.

Mouthfeel is somewhat oily and full. Sweet and delicous.

Fugazme, Nov 25, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Many thanks to Joey R for this one. I had had it on draft now I get to sample it in the bottle.

A: Nice bright brownish black hue with a little head. Spotty lace was noted.

S: The aroma is of wonderful deep dark fruits like plums and raisins. There is a bready malty backbone that makes its self known. Tinges of booze soaked dark cherries and a dash of chocolate.

T: Very nice. Who knew you could pack something so boozy, hoppy, roasty, dark fruity, and damn good in a bottle.

M: Very thick with ample carbonation and a blast of booze.

D: Sip slowly my friend, cause this one will dump a whole can of whoop ass on you if not.

tpd975, Jun 06, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to Romulux for this treat!

Poured into a tulip glass. Dark brown body with a ruby red hue. Decent off-white head that slowly fades to a creamy thin film. Nice lacing left on the glass. Looks great for an old ale.

Caramel dipped fruits with a splash of alcohol make up most of the aroma. Honey, cherries, strawberries and a little bit of port character round things out. Somewhat malty with a hint of anise as well.

Lots of caramel again with sweet candied figs on the tongue. Floral honey notes, blackberries and a touch of cherry on the finish. Toffee, bittersweet chocolate and a bit of alcohol heat, but not too much. Tasty stuff.

Mouthfeel is smooth with light, tingly carbonation. A touch of creaminess and warming alcohol. Could maybe be beefed up a bit, but still pretty good.

Drinkability is good. A big beer and definitely a sipper. I'm really liking the fruity caramel flavors. The nose is also quite pleasant and adds to the overall enjoyment. Pretty sure I could finish a bottle of this by myself. I'm also glad I have another bottle aging in the cellar. This beer should come along nicely with a few years on it. Very well done old ale. Nice work Kuhnhenn.

sisuspeed, Jul 26, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to mcallister for the generosity. Served at about 60 degrees.
Pours a dark copper/bronze with just a wisp of light foam around the edge of the snifter.
Smell is of massive dark fruit with a candy sweetness.
Taste is a dark caramel malt bomb. Sweet and bready as well with lots of plum and raisin. Some mild carbonation and a slight spice note in the middle. Very dark caramel in the finish.
One of the best old ales I've ever had.

kirok1999, Mar 16, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Kuhnhenn has been hit or miss with me. This one is a direct hit.

The appearance is a nice light brown, with a great clarity. No head and some bubbles are only present for a bit. Real nice legs, actually looks like a fine bourbon in the glass.

The smell is great, cherries and malt sugar, caramel, brown sugar. A great array of sweet fruit sugars.

The taste goes right along with the smells, fruit and brown sugar. There are lots of sweet sugars in this one. There is a bit of heat in the back end that pushes the sweet flavors through.

The mouthfeel is oily and fairly thick, some ABV heat. A very nice after dinner dessert beer that I enjoyed a lot.
J

Jmoore50, Mar 28, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to tangfoot for sending me this beer in the Top 100 BIF. I was told that this was purchased in the Winter Solstice party on 12/21/07.

Pours a lovely dark brown with a few red spots when held to the light, and a half inch or so of tan foam topped it.

This beer has an intense bread aroma with a mixture of apples, plums, raisins, and cherries. A good presence of yeast and spices makes the aroma even more complex. The malt really steals the show in this beer, raisin and cinnamon bread, toast, and multi-grain bread. The fruitiness would be my second favorite aspect of the nose. The fruits range from dark ones like raisins, plums, figs and prunes to cherries and apples. There's also some caramel in there.

The taste is just as good and as complex as the aroma. First I taste some wheat bread and toast and then a rush of dark fruits in the middle and then a complete turnaround back to toast. The finish has the yeast and spices with just a touch of heat from the alcohol but it does not get in the way of the beer, it actually seems to enhance the flavors. The next couple of sips reveal some apple skins, pears and fleshy prunes. Caramel and butterscotch flavors are also there. The finish is also a bit dry and just enough bitterness to balance out the massive amount of malt sweetness.

The mouth-feel is a touch syrupy at the beginning but once you swallow the carbonation hits the palate and goes down really smooth. The beer residue on the lips leaves them a little sticky.

Old Ales are not a style I particularly seek out or crave but this is one tasty beer and I wouldn't mind drinking this again (I'm glad I at least have one more bottle!).

seaoflament, May 06, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Pretty fresh batch, so whatever that is.

Looks deadly, in a way that is deep, and dark brown. lacing, but not much head due to the high alcohol. I like the look of the 13.5 on the bottle.
It smells like sweet alcohol, i like it, molasses and brown sugar rolled over currants.
Every time i have drank a Kuhnhenn beer i have absolutely loved the alcohol flavors in it, they are always very present and warming, and never too hot or fusel. Alcohol soaked cherries and black currants, figs and pomegranate juice, brown sugar and vibrant maple syrup. Powdered donut flavors and sweetness that makes you want to lick your lips. Yum.
The body is medium with a decent amount of carbonation.

As with all the Kuhnhenn beers i have had, i really like this one.

ChadQuest, Jul 01, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Pours deep red brown, with little to no head, small ring of off white foam around the edge of the glass.

S - Lots of roasty sweetness, molasses, spice and dark fruit.

T - Wow. Sweet, malty, and lots of dark fruit on the tail end.

M - Full, thick and cloying, just like an old ale should be.

D - A great beer, but most assuredly a sipper.

enfield249, Jan 23, 2010
4.36/5  rDev +1.6%

2011, poured into a KtG tulip

A- viscous ruby/mahogany/dark brown pour with a hint of a head that dissipates quickly into a ring around the class. inviting

S- toffee, fig, dark fruit, maybe some graham cracker? I dunno, there's a lot going on, smells sweet and decadent

T- Somehow even richer on the palette. toffee, burnt marshmallow, brown sugar, decadent.

M- thick, almost cloyingly syrupy, could use some more carb to be just a touch less sticky, great nonetheless and goes with the decadent vibe of the brew

O- if this wasn't so sticky, I'd say I could drink this anytime, but I'm wishing I had saved it for a cold winter rather than a cooler summer eve. Decadent brew that is worth seeking out

GonzoHomebrewer, Jul 30, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle shared by Peter of Flying Monkeys, 355ml bottle into some tulips. 2010 winter solstice release, thanks a ton Peter!

Pours a dark brown, with a tan head - transient, and falls to a ring. Big legs on this one. Nose has dried dark fruits, sweet caramel notes, and a hint of metal. Taste reflects this without the metal note (which diminished with warmth), more dried dark fruits - berries and currants, booze, caramel and something I kept percieving as oak, although I'm confident this isn't oak aged. Mouthfeel was medium heavy, with a moderate sweetness that's restrained by some drier qualities throughout. Great drinkability, and doesn't even come close to feeling like the alcohol content advertised. Need to get my lips on the bourbon barreled version.

liamt07, Sep 07, 2011