Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%
2011 13.5%

(Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003)

Brewery Aged Version

A: Dark brown with only a mild amount of head that leaves no lace and does not retain at all. Slightly cloudy with minor bits of sediment as well.

S: Very pleasant caramel and toffee note to start. Also a nice hint of toasted almond and a slightly breadiness. Also plenty of fruit notes and a bit of a port quality

T: Starts off with the toasted almond flavor followed by caramel and brown sugar. Definitely sweet, but there is enough going on else where in terms of biscuit notes and toasted flavor where it is not cloying at all.

M: Incredibly smooth with no heat detectable for such a big beer, there is a hint of chalkiness, but for the most part smooth and on for the style

D: For such a big beer it is very easy to drink and highly enjoyable. I think it may be tough to drink to much of this due to the abv but one worth seeking out

mikey711, Mar 09, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

big ups to andrenaline for including this in our last trade
A - swampy brown, thin layer of consistent head, left nicely consistent lacing
S - raisins, molasses, light hints of pears and herbs, not even a tickle of the high octane
T - juicy rasins and plumbs, molasses and butter, sticky sweet to the last drop with just a faint hint of alcohol in the late finish
M - thick and sticky sweet, you would never guess its a 13.5% behemoth, just a little warmth in the chest
O - this is just unbelievable, sweet and delicious and drinkable to the point of being very dangerous, i would love to get my hands on another

joemcgrath27, Aug 14, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Rapscallion snifter.

Appearance: Pours dark brown, almost black, with nice chestnut highlights. Minimal caramel/off white head. Lots of sticky lacing down the glass.

Smell: Sweet dried fruits, figs, toffee. A bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thick, bordering on being too slick until it's cut by a slightly dry finish.

Taste: Sweet up front; dry in the end. Roasty bitterness. Dried fruit. Alcohol spice. A bit of breadiness. Rum soaked fruit cake comes to mind.

Drinkability: This is a winding down for the night sipper. Very good but indulgence should be limited. You might want to split even a 12oz. bottle with a friend.

Overall: Fourth Dementia is a complex brew that drinks more like a sherry or a liqueur. It is potent and forces you to respect that while remaining enjoyable. I can imagine sipping this on a cold New England evening in front of a fire. [Now if only I had a fireplace.] This might sound like heresy, but Fourth Dementia made me think of my experience --limited though it may be-- with Sam Adam's Utopias. Not the mouthfeel perse, but the flavor profiles are very similar. I wouldn't necessarily say that the Kuhnhenn is as good, however, I would say that if you want a hint of what can be found in a bottle of Utopias try Fourth Dimension at a fraction of the cost to see if it's up your alley.

3leggeddub, Apr 29, 2008
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to RocPorterFanatic for this brew.

A: Very dark brown in color, slightly hazy, and a quaint tan head on the top.

S: Intense malt, and a good amount of sweetness. Molasses, caramel, brown sugar and perhaps a hint of dark chocolate or licorice.

T: Sweet, with brown sugar, caramel, and dark fruits. There is a hint of bread, as well as an almost orange zest like flavor in the finish, you can't taste the alcohol as much as you can feel it. Very nice.

M: Medium heavy, carbonation is low, and there is a stickiness to it, that I think works in the finish. If anything it feels slightly lighter than I would have thought.

O: Overall a hell of a malt bomb to round out your day with. Delicious, smooth, and dangerous.

Beejay, Jul 07, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer poured a clear brown color with a thin tan head that stuck around for the entire tasting. The aroma was big of malt and caramel - very inviting. The taste was also MALT! It was complex with notes of deep plumb, caramel and brown sugar. The mouthfeel was full and lush. This is a heavy brew. A delicious sipper that I'd love to try again.

barefootbrewer, Dec 30, 2008
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a bottle of Kuhnhenn's Fourth Dementia 4D as an awesome birthday present from my friend Ben. I'm a big Kuhnhenn fan but since they are still a pretty small operation I only see their beers at Beer Festivals or at some of the better bars and I don't get a chance to try their beers as much as I would like to, but I've been wanting to try 4D ever since I first found out about Kuhnhenn, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage, 13.5%. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A= The label looks pretty nice, it's just got a fancy and classy look to it with some shiny gold 4D on the label, it's the best Kuhnhenn label I've seen since most of them look like they printed on a standard computers printer. It poured a pretty cloudy and murky brown color that didn't let much light through and it looked even murkier when held to the light with a half of fingers worth of tan/off white head that quickly faded away to nothing and it left a really small amount of spotty lacing behind. This isn't the greatest looking beer, just by looking at it in the glass it isn't that attractive, but it's not so bad looking I wouldn't give it a try, I don't think any beer can look that bad.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a slight molasses aroma to it followed by loads of malts being the first to show up and they impart some great caramel and toffee aromas with a pretty good amount of dark fruits showing up next with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a sweet and noticeable boozy aroma followed by a little bit of roasted malts on the finish that give this beer a rich, lightly roasted and light chocolate like aroma and there's also a light leather like aroma. This beer has a very nice aroma, I think it's fairly complex and I thought the different aspects worked well with each other.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness which seems to be on the lower side, it's not cloying and imparts a slight molasses like flavor followed by some great caramel and toffee flavors with an equal amount of dark fruits that show up also with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a slight leather flavor with a pretty light alcohol flavor that is very well hidden and it's not nearly as boozy as I thought it would be. Towards the end comes a light tobacco like flavor with some roasted malts showing up at the end with a light chocolate flavor and a lower amount of bitterness with a caramel, toffee, dark fruit, and light roasted malt aftertaste. This was a very good tasting beer that was pretty complex with some expertly hidden alcohol.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, pretty rich, a little creamy, full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation that worked nicely with this beer. This beer had a very good mouthfeel that was pretty much perfect for this beer.

Overall I thought this was very good beer and very good example of an Old Ale, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale was my favorite Old Ale, but I have to say after trying this I think 4D blows it out of the water, not that Third Coast Old Ale isn't great, 4D is just pretty much better in every aspect besides price and it's just a more intense and complex version of Old Ale that is just as smooth, maybe even smoother than Third Coast Old Ale which blows my mind. This beer had great drinkability, the 13.5 wasn't nearly as noticeable as I thought it would be, it was fairly smooth, complex, rich, a little sticky, pretty filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I think one bottle would be the perfect amount for me and if I had the chance I would could probably drink two, but I'm sure i would be feeling it in the morning. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the alcohol was hidden, it seriously blew my mind that a 13.5% Old Ale could be this smooth, I'm very impressed by that and I thought the taste was awesome. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it just isn't a good looking, which overall isn't that big of a deal and I learned a while ago to never judge a beer on it's looks. I would for sure buy this beer if I ever saw it for sale, it's pretty pricey but I think it's worth it and it makes for a nice beer for a special occasions. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who likes Old Ales or big beers in general, I don't think this will disappoint. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I expected good things from this beer but all together it exceeded my expectations and I think it's an overall great beer and I would love to try the barrel aged version of this one day and I'm pretty sure this would be a great beer to cellar and I think it could get even better with time. Great work guys, I think the Kuhnhenns are simply the best at what they do and this is a world class beer, keep up the great work guys.

StoutHunter, Jan 12, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Picked this up in a trade thanks to MasterSki.

A: pours dark brown without any head. I was worried this would be flat and syrupy.

M: thankfully that was not the case. Fairly thick, sticky body with low, but present carbonation. I could have used a little more, but this was still very enjoyable.

S/T: this is where Fourth Dementia shines. One of the best smelling beers I've had. Sweet dark fruits and rich maltiness. Not much hops. Taste is more of the same, and I was also getting a little evergreen. Not piney hops-style evergreen, but a pleasant hint of spruce or something. Whatever it was, this is great. Wish it was more accessible.

waltonc, Jan 10, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz bottle into AVBC snifter. A huge thanks to ipa247 for giving me this bottle. Really generous of you.

A: Pours an extremely dark mahogany red with a thin but dense cream colored head that faded to a thin collar. Not much lace.
S: Rich notes of vanilla, raisins, and caramel. Very sweet and a tad musty smelling with a hint of alcohol vapor, maybe sherry. Hints of fruits also.
T: Hits the palate sweet, fruity and alcoholic (port and sherry). Finish switches to coffee and milk chocolate but some candied fruit notes carry through. Aftertaste is full of sugar, tobacco and grapes.
M: Smooth medium-full body with soft carbonation and a slick mouthfeel. 12.5% alcohol you say? Where? There is a touch of warmth but this drinks great.
D: Hell yeah this is what an Old Ale tastes like! Sweet in all the right places but so very subtle and smooth. I could drink this for days. Alcohol is hidden exceptionally well. Again, I can't thank you enough Jeff for handing this one over to me!

scottfrie, Jan 13, 2011

5/18/2010

2008 vintage in a snifter. Bottle received in a trade with FlanderNed, thanks Steve! The beer pours turbid deep crimson brown with a voluminous light tan head, excellent retention, and scattered lacing.

The aroma is rich and malty, with notes of dried dates and figs, sherry oxidation, treacle, mellow alcohol, caramel, and toffee. Amazing aroma.

The flavor is luscious toffee. It's incredibly rich and expressive, with notes of dried dates, dried figs, treacle, toffee, caramel, light sherry oxidation, and alcohol. The finish is decadent and boozy.

The beer is full bodied with a thick and chewy mouthfeel. This is a rich, complex, and potent malt sipper. Highly recommended, though I'd suggest you share the bottle.

HopHead84, May 19, 2010

bottled: 8-01-04

Pours a great, deep brown. Slight head... swirls and goes, but decent. A beer with legs and no lacing.

Aroma is great. Maple, alcohol, roasted malts, sugary, caramel, caramel and caramel. Dried fruit.

Taste is very, very good. Biscuity and caramel-like. Slight alcohol burn. Fruity.

Mouthfeel is somewhat oily and full. Sweet and delicous.

Fugazme, Nov 25, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Many thanks to Joey R for this one. I had had it on draft now I get to sample it in the bottle.

A: Nice bright brownish black hue with a little head. Spotty lace was noted.

S: The aroma is of wonderful deep dark fruits like plums and raisins. There is a bready malty backbone that makes its self known. Tinges of booze soaked dark cherries and a dash of chocolate.

T: Very nice. Who knew you could pack something so boozy, hoppy, roasty, dark fruity, and damn good in a bottle.

M: Very thick with ample carbonation and a blast of booze.

D: Sip slowly my friend, cause this one will dump a whole can of whoop ass on you if not.

tpd975, Jun 06, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to Romulux for this treat!

Poured into a tulip glass. Dark brown body with a ruby red hue. Decent off-white head that slowly fades to a creamy thin film. Nice lacing left on the glass. Looks great for an old ale.

Caramel dipped fruits with a splash of alcohol make up most of the aroma. Honey, cherries, strawberries and a little bit of port character round things out. Somewhat malty with a hint of anise as well.

Lots of caramel again with sweet candied figs on the tongue. Floral honey notes, blackberries and a touch of cherry on the finish. Toffee, bittersweet chocolate and a bit of alcohol heat, but not too much. Tasty stuff.

Mouthfeel is smooth with light, tingly carbonation. A touch of creaminess and warming alcohol. Could maybe be beefed up a bit, but still pretty good.

Drinkability is good. A big beer and definitely a sipper. I'm really liking the fruity caramel flavors. The nose is also quite pleasant and adds to the overall enjoyment. Pretty sure I could finish a bottle of this by myself. I'm also glad I have another bottle aging in the cellar. This beer should come along nicely with a few years on it. Very well done old ale. Nice work Kuhnhenn.

sisuspeed, Jul 26, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to mcallister for the generosity. Served at about 60 degrees.
Pours a dark copper/bronze with just a wisp of light foam around the edge of the snifter.
Smell is of massive dark fruit with a candy sweetness.
Taste is a dark caramel malt bomb. Sweet and bready as well with lots of plum and raisin. Some mild carbonation and a slight spice note in the middle. Very dark caramel in the finish.
One of the best old ales I've ever had.

kirok1999, Mar 16, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Kuhnhenn has been hit or miss with me. This one is a direct hit.

The appearance is a nice light brown, with a great clarity. No head and some bubbles are only present for a bit. Real nice legs, actually looks like a fine bourbon in the glass.

The smell is great, cherries and malt sugar, caramel, brown sugar. A great array of sweet fruit sugars.

The taste goes right along with the smells, fruit and brown sugar. There are lots of sweet sugars in this one. There is a bit of heat in the back end that pushes the sweet flavors through.

The mouthfeel is oily and fairly thick, some ABV heat. A very nice after dinner dessert beer that I enjoyed a lot.
J

Jmoore50, Mar 28, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to tangfoot for sending me this beer in the Top 100 BIF. I was told that this was purchased in the Winter Solstice party on 12/21/07.

Pours a lovely dark brown with a few red spots when held to the light, and a half inch or so of tan foam topped it.

This beer has an intense bread aroma with a mixture of apples, plums, raisins, and cherries. A good presence of yeast and spices makes the aroma even more complex. The malt really steals the show in this beer, raisin and cinnamon bread, toast, and multi-grain bread. The fruitiness would be my second favorite aspect of the nose. The fruits range from dark ones like raisins, plums, figs and prunes to cherries and apples. There's also some caramel in there.

The taste is just as good and as complex as the aroma. First I taste some wheat bread and toast and then a rush of dark fruits in the middle and then a complete turnaround back to toast. The finish has the yeast and spices with just a touch of heat from the alcohol but it does not get in the way of the beer, it actually seems to enhance the flavors. The next couple of sips reveal some apple skins, pears and fleshy prunes. Caramel and butterscotch flavors are also there. The finish is also a bit dry and just enough bitterness to balance out the massive amount of malt sweetness.

The mouth-feel is a touch syrupy at the beginning but once you swallow the carbonation hits the palate and goes down really smooth. The beer residue on the lips leaves them a little sticky.

Old Ales are not a style I particularly seek out or crave but this is one tasty beer and I wouldn't mind drinking this again (I'm glad I at least have one more bottle!).

seaoflament, May 07, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Pretty fresh batch, so whatever that is.

Looks deadly, in a way that is deep, and dark brown. lacing, but not much head due to the high alcohol. I like the look of the 13.5 on the bottle.
It smells like sweet alcohol, i like it, molasses and brown sugar rolled over currants.
Every time i have drank a Kuhnhenn beer i have absolutely loved the alcohol flavors in it, they are always very present and warming, and never too hot or fusel. Alcohol soaked cherries and black currants, figs and pomegranate juice, brown sugar and vibrant maple syrup. Powdered donut flavors and sweetness that makes you want to lick your lips. Yum.
The body is medium with a decent amount of carbonation.

As with all the Kuhnhenn beers i have had, i really like this one.

ChadQuest, Jul 01, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Pours deep red brown, with little to no head, small ring of off white foam around the edge of the glass.

S - Lots of roasty sweetness, molasses, spice and dark fruit.

T - Wow. Sweet, malty, and lots of dark fruit on the tail end.

M - Full, thick and cloying, just like an old ale should be.

D - A great beer, but most assuredly a sipper.

enfield249, Jan 23, 2010
4.36/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2011, poured into a KtG tulip

A- viscous ruby/mahogany/dark brown pour with a hint of a head that dissipates quickly into a ring around the class. inviting

S- toffee, fig, dark fruit, maybe some graham cracker? I dunno, there's a lot going on, smells sweet and decadent

T- Somehow even richer on the palette. toffee, burnt marshmallow, brown sugar, decadent.

M- thick, almost cloyingly syrupy, could use some more carb to be just a touch less sticky, great nonetheless and goes with the decadent vibe of the brew

O- if this wasn't so sticky, I'd say I could drink this anytime, but I'm wishing I had saved it for a cold winter rather than a cooler summer eve. Decadent brew that is worth seeking out

GonzoHomebrewer, Jul 30, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle shared by Peter of Flying Monkeys, 355ml bottle into some tulips. 2010 winter solstice release, thanks a ton Peter!

Pours a dark brown, with a tan head - transient, and falls to a ring. Big legs on this one. Nose has dried dark fruits, sweet caramel notes, and a hint of metal. Taste reflects this without the metal note (which diminished with warmth), more dried dark fruits - berries and currants, booze, caramel and something I kept percieving as oak, although I'm confident this isn't oak aged. Mouthfeel was medium heavy, with a moderate sweetness that's restrained by some drier qualities throughout. Great drinkability, and doesn't even come close to feeling like the alcohol content advertised. Need to get my lips on the bourbon barreled version.

liamt07, Sep 07, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass. Bottle generously provided as an extra by normyk, thanks a ton!

2010 vintage.

A - Pours a dark brown, almost purple color, similar to a deeper-colored Quad. A one-finger, off-white head gradually builds, with moderate retention given the alcohol in this. The lacing is interesting in this beer for sure, as I drink, it leaves a thin, yet generous coating of lace on the opposite side of the glass and a bit on the sides, but if I tilt the glass left and right slowly, the lace stacks for a few seconds, then slowly breaks apart and cascades back down to the rest of the liquid, like a wave that crests and breaks on the beach, and slowly recedes back to the ocean. Very cool.

S - The smell is a nice blend of toffee, dried fruits, and heavily caramelized malts. There appears to be a bit of vanilla and oak in here as well, with a dose of candied sugar as well. Very forward malt nose overall.

T - The taste, as the nose would imply, is quite sweet and dominated by malts. At first there's a slight butterscotch taste, which when followed by the vanilla and oak, generates a unique and tasty flavor. From there it's all toffee and caramel malts, which layer over the dried fruit and raisin to dally into an almost faint Dubbel territory, which when supplemented by the candied sugar, is a Belgian-yeast strain away from being a tantalizing hybrid. This fades in the finish, however, as the malts resurge and last well into the aftertaste. The alcohol comes through slightly, but not enough to give any indication of its 13.50% ABV.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with pretty low carbonation. It is pretty slick in the mouth but finishes pretty dry. Leaves a nice coating in the mouth that helps deliver a long-lasting finish.

D - Drinkability is moderately high. It is a tasty beer and hides its alcohol well. It is still a sipper but pretty addicting. I found myself content with a 12oz bottle but it was an enjoyable experience.

nhindian, Apr 17, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Tasted a bunch of times at Schlafly Repeal Festival 2010. Poured into tasting glass over and over because it's so damn awesome.

A - Pours black, off-white/tan head, nice sticky lacing and a slim cap on top.

S - Burnt sugars, dark fruits, caramel, toffee. Lots of sweetness and complexity to this. A decent amount of alcohol on the nose but nothing I was expecting with Kuhnhenn.

T - Big, sweet, and boozy (in a good way). I knew this was gonna be a monster and I loved every sip. Chocolate, toffee, burnt caramels, boozy alcohol. The alcohol works really well with this and doesn't overpower the rest of the beer...in fact, it compliments the nuances. Sweet & boozy finish.

M - Full, rich & thick, very very light carbonation.

D - As high octane as this one is, I loved it. I think it was the first keg to blow at the festival and for good reason. Awesome.

Sean9689, Apr 20, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

The 2008 variety... I'd been waiting to try this one for a while and finally gave in.

Bottle poured into Duvel tulip glass. Dark purplish brown color, loads of fizzy tan head. Smell is pretty faint but sweet and fruity.. I'd say grapes, currants, and cherries. There might be some darker sweet aromas as well such as maple syrup and molasses.

More of the same in the taste: a very tart mix of cherries and currants with only the slight twinge of alcohol. Slightly sour, but also slightly sweet. Very well put together, with really almost no alcohol burn. A delicious slow sipping dessert-style beer.

webmanspidey, Jun 17, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a not terribly attractive ruddy brown. Small head that quickly dissipates, but remains carbonated throughout (which definitely helps with a thick, syrupy beer like this).

Smells mostly of raisins/figs/prunes -- I have a real problem telling these three ingredients apart -- with a hint of sweeter notes. There are definitely some sweet fruits in here as well, dark/tart cherries, maybe something more exotic. I can't tell. There's definitely a strong molasses/caramel undercurrent.

Very, very good.

Overlord, Mar 03, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle split two ways thanks to ahalloin.

Mahogany hue with a very substantial head and plenty of lace. Aromas of sweet tobacco, alcohol, rich malts, raisins. This beer has great complexity. My initial thoughts upon my first sip were that this instantly reminds me of a great English barleywine, particularly J.W. Lees. Secondly, this beer tastes much older than it is. I really thought the alcohol, while certainly not hidden, did not overpower the beer or present any undesirable harshness on the palate. There is a long, lingering aftertaste consisting of sweet caramels, toffee. Warming alcohol in the finish. Great beer. Probably best in small quantities.

Huhzubendah, May 15, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Got via trade from a fellow BA. Pours extremely dark brown with large tan frothy head. Very cloudy and laces very nice...wow the aroma is wonderful. I can smell the strong sweet caramel and malts before even getting close. Now, I'm also picking up a little hops, and chocolate. Drinking at room temp btw.
Taste is awesome(2008 vintage btw). Very sweet with caramel, sugars, malts, booze, tangy...creamy. Wow, what a great brew! A little thick so hard to put more than one down in a tasting. Yummy!

ShadesOfGray, Dec 10, 2009