Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%

(Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003)
Arbitrator

2.23/5  rDev -47.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2009 vintage. Courtesy of semibaked, if I recall correctly. Thanks!

A: Pours a murky chestnut body capped with a short-lived beige head. No lace.

S: Aroma is a treacly, underattenuated grape Jolly Rancher variety. Notes of licorice, rum-soaked raisins. All around sweet.

T: As the nose suggested, this beer is sugar drizzled with raisins, mah nizzle. Way too sweet, sugary, and altogether unfinished-feeling. Simply underattenuated. Wow.

M: Full-bodied, but simplistic; it's sugary, sweet, and simply amateurish in execution. Lots of grape, sugar, and little else. At least it's not boozy.

O: I had a high impression of the barrel-aged Fourth Dementia when it was first released. Unfortunately, even that version has fallen off, but it is far better than the sugar bomb its base beer turned out to be. We didn't finish either version, but we poured out more of this.

09-30-2011 07:55:14 | More by Arbitrator
TerryW

2.48/5  rDev -42.1%

Sorry, but I'm not understanding the raves here. I guess I just simply don't appreciate the style. If I had to briefly sum up I'd have to call this boozy liquid black licorice. Quite extreme in its approach.

However, does look quite good. Dark walnut under a moderate head that settles to a heavy film and provides lots of spotty lace.

Nose is immediately sweet and heavy with dark fruit, treacle, alcohol. Smells syrupy.

Pow! Sugar, sugar, sugar to taste. Lots of other stuff there - dark fruit, licorice, charcoal - but just so aggressively sweet as to be unbearable. Alcohol is noticeably present making this a warming drink and bearable from that perspective at least. Full and sticky mouth feel.

Too out there for my palate, just far too syrupy. Stupid sweet. Ick.

10-13-2013 23:54:03 | More by TerryW

03-05-2012 19:03:11 | More by MIP229
Freethyhops

Alabama

2.78/5  rDev -35%

biernutz sent me this 2009 vintage as an extra. a huge thanks for hooking me up with a beer I've wanted to for a while now. pulled out of the beer storage and consumed around room temp

a- pours a reddish brown. the red/ruby colors really show beautifully when held to light. the head on this one is very impressive. a creamy light brown/tan colored head shows great retention.

s- heavy malt sweetness. strong alcohol and dark fruit combine to be very reminiscent of sherry. some other specialty malts bounce around in the backround, but it's hard to pinpoint anything. the first aromas are so strong they really cover up any subtleties that might be in there. still enjoyable, just a bit strong on the booze.

t- wow, this is a strong brew. some aggressive malt sweetness impales the taste buds. it's really beyond my threshold for sweetness, a bit cloying IMO. some light tart cherry notes and chocolate mix together quite pleasantly behind the strong sweetness. the sherry factor is still quite strong, too. slight nuttiness. this has some enjoyable flavors but I can't get past the cloying sweetness.

m- full bodied, chewy and sticky. a bit excessive w/ the alcohol warming. moderate carbonation is pleasant though.

d- too sweet. I love some strong ales, but this one seems a bit under attenuated and really disagrees with my taste buds.

09-08-2010 02:50:00 | More by Freethyhops
charlesw

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%

Pours murky brown. Plenty of orange highlights up to the light. No head to speak of but the few tiny bubbles that do bother to show up do not leave.

Oh. Hey. First things second. Um. Trading rocks. Yes. Awesome. Incredible. Amazing and all of that. Thanks so much to everyone who has ever shared something they could get with me and I'm so glad that I could return that favor. Otherwise my chances for trying this beer were about zero, eh?

Smells like sweet dirt. Like... Um. Smells like a lightly infected batch of underattenuated extract homebrew. Tiny hints of that weird apricot smell (Willamette or Northern Brewer, is that you?), you know? Still, generally earthy with a heady wiff of alcohol to keep it from being too overpowering.

I taste some of that apricot. Like, lets see... Using too much Willamette hops or something, I guess. And it's sweet. Interesting. Some bitterness. Bitter caramel at the back of the tongue. Hop fruitiness all over the place. Roundly tingly and mouth watering at the end. Interesting.

Sound in the body. Not quite as carbonated as I'd like to see it. Definitely on the thicker side of things, eh?

Glad to have tried it. I'd call it more of a barleywine in so many of these categories. I'd probably give it a little higher mouth and drinkability, at least, as one, too. But, hey, well, that's me.

03-01-2010 23:50:15 | More by charlesw
ppoitras

2.95/5  rDev -31.1%

12oz bottle obtained via Local BIF from mjd83goblue. Label notes 2009 vintage, 12.5% abv. Thanks for the opportunity. <Jeremy2002 = bad trader>

Poured into a DFH chalice, formed a 1/4" brown head above the clear burgundy brew. Head is quickly down to a swirl of bubbles, with lots of legs and fleeting small-bubbled lace.

Aroma is sweet, fruity, and alcoholic. Taste starts sweet, goes Robitussin cherry in the middle, hops and strong alcohol at the close. Mouthfeel is slickery, and drinkability is pretty limited, in my book. Too much over the top, not enough enjoyable brew this time around.

2/8/07 - 4/3.5/3.5/3.5/3 - 3.55
12oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity... Label notes brewdate of 2/16/05, best before 2011.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1/2" tan head over the cloudy reddish brown brew. Head lasts nicely, with average lacing. Aroma is grains, tart fruitiness, and alcohol. Flavor is sweet to start, with heavy dark fruitiness in the middle, which fades into an alcohol aftertaste. Mouthfeel and drinkability are okay, but this one just seems too fruity and tart for the style. More like cough syrup, unfortunately.

08-28-2010 02:32:00 | More by ppoitras
AgentZero

2.95/5  rDev -31.1%

A - Pretty dark brown, looking black, ridiculously huge head that faded after a little while and left some bizzare bubble sheets in random spikes and thorny shapes on the side. Unusual.

S - Sugarrific, other than I don't like that sort of thing. Very brown sugarish, big malt profile. A lot of dark fruit smell, and a huge dose of licorice.

T - Brown sugar bomb, not really good. I get way too much licorice on this also. Dark fruit, just too sweet. Any complexity in this is hard to find as it is buried in a huge malty, sugary overload.

M - Medium bodied, high dose of carbonation, sticky.

D - Can't do it, the sweetness is too coating and overpowering. The sugar and licorice tastes dominate too much and overpower the taste buds to the point of being painful.

05-10-2010 06:02:29 | More by AgentZero
jmarsh123

Indiana

Pours dark brown with red tinges along the edges. Completely still despite a vigorous pour.

Lots of fig in the aroma along with raisin, burnt molasses, caramel and a little booze.

A bit of a malt bomb. Still lots of raisin and fig, but the sugars dominate a bit more. Alcohol is slightly present, but fairly well hidden for the ABV.

Already sweet and medium to full bodied the almost non-existent carbonation enhances the syrupy aspect and makes it almost unbearable.

Overall just kind of average flavors and the low carbonation really enhances the poorer aspects. Definitely not a fan.

06-18-2012 15:26:43 | More by jmarsh123
Florida9

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

2010.

Dark brown, but still translucent. No head. Flat. Aroma is pure oxidation. Cardboard and wet paper. Some caramel and little earthy wood. Taste is more of the same, but worse. Oxidized beyond enjoyment. Caramel, wood, toast, burnt sugar. Medium bodied and alcoholic. mild bitterness.
Not sure what the big draw is on this beer. I've had it a few times now and have never enjoyed it.

01-06-2013 03:26:24 | More by Florida9
PatronWizard

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

Killer extra from Egledhill. Contents are suspicious though. Label is a little faded and looks as though it could have come from a laser printer. Plus there is a home wax job on the cap. I wouldn't put it past that cheap-shot taking sonofabitch to send me a repack. I can't pass on the opportunity to try this, so here goes.

Nice little psss when I popped the cap, so if it is a repack, it's a nice job. Appears to be a deep shade of blood. Dark with slight ruby highlights. Small off-white head quickly settles to a thin film. Nice off-white head of bigger proportions results from the second pour. Quickly settles to a thin film again.

I smell some caramel and maybe dark cherries. Some kind of a darker type fruit that I'm not familiar with also. Smells pretty decent.

Tastes completely different. It's cold but it tastes warm. Big taste of what I want to call pomegranite. Unique bitterness at the end. Again I claim pomegranite although it may be something similar. Is there any thing similar to pomegranite?

How should I put this? I don't like it about sums it up.

Really happy to try it, but I won't be needing another. Gee Erik, thanks PAL. With friends like you, who needs enemas?

Overall: one timer

12-10-2008 19:47:24 | More by PatronWizard
maximum12

3.23/5  rDev -24.5%

Thanks to HopHobo for sending me this brew that I've been on the lookout for. My first experience with this brewery.

2006 vintage & dammit, I like the label! Looks like it was slapped on by a kid who left his coke-bottle glasses at home then accidentally dropped it in a bucket of water. Still cool.

Pour. The aroma is intensely alcoholic, I wanted some tongs to carry it from the kitchen to the computer. What is this beer going to do to me? And on a weeknight, at that? Once you get past the alcohol sting, it's sweet & earthy.

The taste suffers from a mustiness that I'm not grooving on, where the dark fruits turn into fruits that have bit of dust & dirt on them. Otherwise, after reading some of the other reviews, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of depth. I'm not getting much off of this, even not much alcohol, despite the nose.

Not bad, but definitely not the beer I was expecting. I wouldn't seek it out again, but would try a younger version if one every falls into my lap.

01-28-2009 03:03:37 | More by maximum12
beerhunter13

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

08-06-2013 22:27:43 | More by beerhunter13
russwbeck

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

2010 Vintage

A: Pours out of the bottle a hazy brown, and sits in my glass deep brown, almost glowing, with a finger or so of light brown head. A decent amount of head remains after a while, and lacing sticks to the glass in spots. A nice amount of bubbles are noted through the muck, gathering happily beneath the head.

S: The aroma of 4D is really nice. Deep caramel and roasted malts, dark fruits, and molasses contribute to a sweet yet mellowed aroma. Some booze is noted, but not enough for me to garner it's 13.5% ABV.

T: The taste isn't quite as nice. The caramel malts and dark fruits are present as is the booze, but amazingly the taste just drops off into nowhere. The booze is offensive, but the sweetness curbs it quickly and leaves not much on the palate after the beer is gone. It's very one dimensional and just not all that impressive.

MF: I can't believe I'm going to say this, but 4D seemed to be too thin. Also, the booze is too offensive and the carbonation too low. Not much of a finish.

O: I was ready for this to be a huge beer, and it just wasn't. The ABV, I believe, was too high and took away from the Old Ale characteristics. Loved the aroma, wish the taste and feel was better.

03-24-2012 01:32:46 | More by russwbeck
MuddyFeet

3.3/5  rDev -22.9%

This beer is so lifeless it reminds me of death and graveyards. Absolutely flat but it does not really take away from the appearance or mouthfeel. Brown with a bit of red in that there glass. No head, no bubbles. Could not get much from the nose even though I dug my nose way down in the glass.

Nice and sweet with lots of raisins going on. Malts are very mellow and earthy. Alcohol comes out at the end a bit--but not overly. Honestly, this beer is a bit one dimensional and kind of drab. Kind of like when you realize after the paint has dried that you picked out the wrong color for the walls. Fine and drinkable but just kind of boring and uninteresting.

12-18-2005 02:55:33 | More by MuddyFeet
bobsy

3.3/5  rDev -22.9%

Eric's bottle from Eric. Cheers, Eric!

Pleasing appearance, as the liquid reveals itself to be a deep and luxurious mahogany with a large tan head which gradually fades, leaving clumps of foam floating in the glass. No lace though. Malt heavy aroma of caramel and sweet dark fruit. The flavour is decent, but too sugar heavy to advance beyond that. Lots of rich dark fruit (particularly raisin), and sweet malt by the bucketload. Caramel and toasty brown sugar. Just way too much sweetness, and it becomes cloying after a while. The alcohol, on the other hand, is hardly noticable. Heavy sweet and sticky mouthfeel just adds to the cloying feeling.

I'm glad to try this, but its not of the same caliber as a Thomas Hardy's or Old Stock. The sweetness is just way out of line and torpedoes some of the finer flavours lurking underneath. Perhaps time would fix this one?

09-14-2009 02:58:24 | More by bobsy
brystmar

3.35/5  rDev -21.7%

2011 vintage, shared 3 ways.

Deep brown pour, super viscous, zero head. Looks like motor oil. Gives off the unmistakeably dark scent of black licorice. Also tobacco, burnt malts, booze.

Dark, burnt taste. Tons of licorice. Mild notes of ashtrays. Hints of sweet malts in there, but get quickly shushed by everything else around them. Thick, viscous body. Flavor balance here isn't particularly appealing to me, though, and I'm unconvinced that age would help in this regard.

A deeper, darker take on the Old Ale style. Glad I tried it but won't seek this out again.

04-06-2012 04:37:04 | More by brystmar
homebrew311

3.38/5  rDev -21%

A: appearance is a purpleish red, decent amount of clarity, no head, no lacing

S: bold waves of molasses, licorice, maple, and oak. This is a definite malt bomb. Notes of fruit come through, mainly raisins.

T: just like the nose suggested, this one is all about that malts. This one is skewed way towards the sweet side and features bits of earthiness and pepper, not seeming very balanced and the ABV is very present of the finish.

MF: thick body, a bit syrupy, light carbonation

O: well this beer definitely doesn't lack flavor, perhaps my palate just isn't prepared for the overload of sweet malts that this one delivered... I found it to be too sweet.

09-21-2011 06:12:22 | More by homebrew311
jegross2

3.45/5  rDev -19.4%

Reviewing the Fourth Dementia (4D) from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company out of Michigan.
Score: 84

2011 vintage bottle served in a stemmed Hill Farmstead snifter glass and enjoyed on 05/20/12. Review is from notes.

Appearance: Pours a deep caramel color; almost like black mud. A thin layer of creamy dark khaki head settles to a thin foggy film. Poor lacing, with good retention/cling. 3.5/5

Smell: Primarily musty caramel malt with complementary notes of toffee and marshmallows. Swirling the beer reveals a little fig and brown sugar in the aroma. Modest booziness. The aroma is a bit harsh and caramel forward, but swirling before smelling seems to balance it out and make it more appealing. 3.75/5

Taste: Like the aroma, the palate is dominated by a musty and malty caramel flavor. The finish is toffee-ish. Just tons of boozy caramel/toffee/brown sugar malt here. Some fig flavor on the side of the tongue. Decent booziness to boot. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: I am not sure if this is a bottling issue or how the beer was intended to be made, but my 4D is absolutely flat and lifeless. There is quite literally no carbonation here. Medium bodied. Super malty and just a little sugary. Syrupy-like mouthfeel. 3/5

Overall: Not a bad beer, but this brew is a far from balanced, slightly boozy sipper. I am not a fan of overly malty beers, so maybe, like Mother Of All Storms and Y2K, this just isn't my type beer. Personally, I do not understand the hype behind this one.

Recommendation: Worth trying at some point in your craft beer journey, if only to say that you've had it, but this beer is not worth seeking out unless you like boozy malt bombs (beers like Mother Of All Storms).

Pairings: Packets of Laughing Cow creamy Swiss cheese.

Cost: $8 for a 12 oz bottle.

05-24-2012 05:14:59 | More by jegross2
semibaked

Kentucky

3.45/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass.

A - Pours a very dark brown with some ruby highlights, next to no carbonation bubbles, some head but goes away quickly.

S - Nice smell of raisins, tons of malt and syrupy sweetness.

T - Wow, very very sweet, kinda like alcoholic raisin syrup. I like it but a little goes a long way.

M - The consistency of syrup (spotting a trend here? :)

D - This may be too much sweetness for me, hard to get down more than a few ounces.

Glad to try it though.

02-18-2010 23:44:30 | More by semibaked
CanuckRover

3.48/5  rDev -18.7%

Deep brown. Surprisingly nice head for the style, a couple fingers. Settles to a respectable film.

Big dark fruit on the nose, nice undercurrent of toffee and a bit of chocolate.

Holy sweetness. A little bit of odd, but kind of welcome, tartness to start things off, but then it's just a rush of sweet sweet fruit. There are some chocolate flavours that I really like and the slight alcohol heat near the finish is really nice, but it really needs a touch more zing to balance things out.

Mouthfeel on the other hand is just terrific. Full bodied with perfect amount of carbonation, an area where many old ales fall flat on their faces.

Some will (and obviously do) enjoy this, but too sweet for my tastes.

05-14-2013 02:16:50 | More by CanuckRover
tayner

Arizona

3.48/5  rDev -18.7%

this is my 100th beer review although i have tried many more than that! i think this one will give me my mug too..

anyway, It pours a deep brown with red highlights when back lit. small head that turned into a small ring that stayed around and laced some, not bad for a beer of 9.5%.

Smell was of a medicinal cherry flavor, one that is not too pleasing to me as well as a woody, earthy flavor. was this a barrel beer?

taste was sweet and sugary with alot of dark cherry, dark fig, and grapes.

It was thick and coating, not much hops to speak of to dry the palate. warming alcohol on the way down, and after the swallow.

I could barely finish this one with the vineous grape and cherry flavors. i wont seek this one out again, just not my thing, but very complex.

01-29-2008 19:11:56 | More by tayner