2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%

(Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next › last »
Ratings: 808 | Reviews: 436 | Show All Ratings:
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

From my notes of December 17, 2006.

Poured from 12oz bottle(brewed on 2-16-05 best before 2011!) a super dark brown with a good sized head of foam that slowly shrinks leaving a mostly solid layer that hugs the side of my glass in a most pleasing way.

The smell is....wow! Huge notes of caramel malt, molasses, and fig that just don't quit. The smell alone is woth the price of admission but, I got this one pro gratis compliments of Mentor!!

The taste follows the nose to a T. Awesome caramel and roasted malt that are just tickling my palate to the Nth degree. The molasses and fig that I noted in the nose are there as well as is dark fruit(plum) adding to the complexity of this Old Ale and making it, despite it's high abv, a most drinkable nectar. And yeah, there's a bit of warming as it goes down but the alcohol, for me, is not detectable in the flavour at all. From the first sip right through to the finish, there's no doubt that I'm drinking a world class brew. Yeah, it's *that* damn good!!

Bottom line: Fantastic! If I were given a choice of sipping on this or a Westy 12(different beer styles aside), I'd have a darned hard time making up my mind on which to choose!
Once again, kudos to Mentor for allowing me to try this tasty son of a gun!!

10-06-2011 22:21:12 | More by Bitterbill
lanamj

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Got this one on a trade. Thanks StayWhatYouAre2. 12oz bottle, split with a friend, poured into two tulips.

A- This one pours perfectly. Beautiful copper to amber color with a nice foamy white head witch resides to a full circle ring off lacing that ad hears to the glass the entire way down.

S- Caramel, molasses and sweet malts dominate the front of the nose. I do get some mild banana and alcohol but is so nice to smell. All the components come together to form a nicely balanced aroma that is just wonderful. It reminds more of a nice barleywine aroma rather then an old ale.

T- Again just perfect. Lots of sweet flavors such as caramel, molasses, sweet malts and bananas. The alcohol on this is so nicely hidden. I again feel it reminds me more of a barleywine then an old ale.

M- Very smooth and silky. The flavor lingers and is very extensive. This truly is the best Old Ale I have ever had. It goes down so smooth that regardless of the high ABV I could sit and drink a few of these.

O- The best Old Ale I have ever had. It does remind me of a Barleywine and maybe that has a lot to do with it but still amazing. I like the faint banana flavor here unlike some Old Ales that remind me of a banana split. I would love to try the barrel aged version.

09-08-2011 15:22:45 | More by lanamj
sparkydoyle

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Dark color (somewhere between maple syrup and old motor oil), minimal oily yellow head clings to side of glass. Inviting and complex nose offers maltyness, bourbon, sweetness, licorice and ripe fruits (plums and raisins).

Taste is sweet and alcoholic up front, and becomes complex as the tongue dries off, with raisins, malty sweetness, and a scotchlike woodiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is rich, slightly full, but backs off as you swallow. Very low in diacetyl notes and offering a variety of esters in enjoyable restraint.

A surprisingly drinkable old ale. I’d like to have another, can you drive me home?

08-12-2004 22:35:45 | More by sparkydoyle
garthwaite

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle. This brew poured from the bottle like thick syrup - a deep, dark, murky brown-red-purple with a slight tan head which eventually reduced to a few constantly swirling bubbles. I smelled this beast of a brew the second the cap came off. As intense an aroma as I've ever come across & a delightful one at that. Massive dark fruit notes are everywhere as powerful caramel & burnt burgundy cherries collide with dulled spicy hops & oaken woodiness to overpower the senses. From the moment it hit my lips I was in heaven. This extremely sweet, but perfect balanced brew overloaded my palate with pounds of dark chocolate & rich caramel. More delicious flavors of chocolate covered burgundy cherries, vanilla, and molasses compliment the mild spicy hops & notes of oak. Warming alcohol makes its presence felt from the start & only adds to the intense appeal of this brew. Minimally carbonated, but extraordinarily full bodied, this bad boy fills & coats the mouth like maple syrup. Finishes with some tartness, burnt molasses, & toffee. Aftertaste lasted for hours, though I wish it was days. Liquid heaven.

08-13-2004 19:03:03 | More by garthwaite
meathookjones

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Many thanks go to Ben for sharing such an awesome and unique brew with me. Pours out a deep dark brown with a nice sized tan head. Strings of lace were left coating the glass and the head was revived easily with a few swirls of the snifter. Upon first smell of this brew I new this would become a favorite of mine. There was just so much going on I knew I would need more than this one to figure it all out. Smokiness was big as was the chocolate and roasted malt. Some dark fruit and earthy/woody notes were in there as well. Damn there was so much going on I sat there for a while with my nose just in the glass trying to take it all in. The taste was just as complex and enjoyable as the aroma. Dark fruits, molasses, chocolate malt and smoke seem to be the most upfront flavors. An assortment of other flavors were present as well spice, caramel, alcohol, woodiness and everything else you could imagine. Wow this is one amazing brew. The full thick body leaves your mouth coated in sticky flavor that seems to stay with you forever. Drinkability is insane, every sip leaves you wanted more to discover new things about the beer. If this was available locally I would clean the shelves of it, I guess that’s were the dementia comes in.

02-25-2005 16:51:19 | More by meathookjones
mcallister

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

This one pours out and has olde ale written all over it. A dark opaque amber showing scarlet hues when held too light. Pours with a small quickly dissipating brown head that leaves very little lace behind.

Maybe the best smelling beer I've ever laid nose on. Hard too pull my face out of the Great Lakes Christmas ale snifter holding this elixir. First thing you notice is the vast amounts of toffeed caramel very sweet malt that slaps you in the face. This leads into brown sugar, maple, mollasses, dried fig, a bit of woodsy bourbon, dried cherry, alcohol, and a plethora of other pleasing delectable aromas. One hell of a smell!!

This beer is what all others in this style strive to be. Perfectly balanced with an over the top complexity. Upon entrance you get a sour bing cherry that leads into a mass of goings on in the mid palate, caramel, toffee, sweet succulent malt, dried fig as well as dried berries, a maple syrup touch, brown sugar, no signs of alcohol. The perfect beer for a dreary cold day like today. This beer screams age me, at least 5 more years of maturing was in this olde ales future. The finish is medium and has a nice floral bitterness that mingles quite well with the lingering sweet brown sugar malty heavan.

Mouthfeel thick and chewy and succulently sweet. I could drink this beer daily for the rest of my life and be happy. Great job from a great brewery.

11-06-2006 22:19:13 | More by mcallister
stancpa

This is what I call an after dinner beer. The taste is divine, taste like the beer version of a fine cognac, this is due to the high alcohol content of the beer. This is one of my favorite beers.

I am somewhat a world traveler and love to sample beer in various countries
so I have sampled a fairly large number of beers. I do admit the stout from Belgium was also divine.

07-20-2005 15:58:46 | More by stancpa
Pointman

By far one of the greatest beers ever made. It is too bad this place doesn't get more reviews.

The Fourth is the best they make.

Pours very dark in color with a nice off tan head. Has almost a molasses type color too it. If you have ever had sorgum, you'll know the color.

How do give a beer the rich caramel, molasses, chocolate, leather and velvet taste and flavor? I don't know how the brothers do it.

This is a big beer, where the ABV is covered nicely. I have to limit myself to one per visit. It finishes strong & smooth.

I have 12 bottles, so I will give them a taste once the K-brewery runs out....carry me over until next December...

03-08-2008 00:21:20 | More by Pointman
mikesgroove

South Carolina

I want to start out by saying; without trouble, this is the best old ale I have ever had in my life. It literally brought a completely new meaning to me about what this style could do. Simply outstanding in every possible way. Now that I have gotten that out of the way let me go a little bit more in depth.

Received a few bottles of this in a trade about a month ago; however, I was unable to get to one until now. I decided last night to pull one from the cellar and give it a whirl, as I had been dying to try this gem. Pulled it out and let it warm up to about 55 degrees before pouring it into a Selin's Grove snifter, which I had also recently received. Upon the first pour, I immediately noticed how dark this was. I t was completely opaque except for just the smallest amount of reddish brown that peaked through on the sides when you held it up directly to the light, but still this was enormously big looking. Deep mahogany tones at first gave the impression of an Abyss, with nothing coming up from it, but a few seconds passed and a beautiful looking tannish colored head rose up from it. At least two fingers high, it surprised me as I thought this might have been lifeless. The head went nowhere, I mean nowhere as it hung around for a good five to ten minutes, when it did settle, it was only down to about three quarters of an inch and that hung around throughout the entire session. Rich tan lace coated the entire glass and really just pushed things over the edge for me on this one. Absolutely perfect look.

So I went in for a whiff, I had to see how this was going to be coming at me, and again I was floored. Such a rich deep caramel smell coming off of this, literally took me by surprise. Nice aroma of oak and alcohol mixing and swirling around with it now, really starting to pick up steam the warmer it got. So complex, with rich earthy tones running rampant through it. The flavors, if at all possible turned out to be better then this. It was insane what I was sipping on here by this point. Almost at a loss for words, this was the old ale I had always searched for. I was thrilled to be having this. Deep malt bomb of the highest degree now taking shape all around me, utterly fantastic in every way. Warm oak infused notes of brandy like alcohol running over the tongue, so sweet and sugary. As you roll it around you start to notice there is a little bit of a bitter bite to this one. Way down deep under all of the malt, there was a subtle bitter hoppiness, very grainy and earthy, but it was there, and really pushed through on the finish. Long drawn out finish it was, really letting you savor every last bit of the enormous and utterly amazing flavor that this one provided. I am floored. The alcohol was so well blended, it was a deadly combination. Soo mellow and smooth, understated, it lured you in and would not let you go. The body was as rich and smooth as the flavor. Huge creamy body on this, and I found the carbonation to be spot on as well. It was just soo complex, with every sip letting you discover more and more flavors. Deep dark fruit now coming through for me, really started to actually dominate the scene all together. Huge raisin and plum notes giving it that sweet but yet tart dark fruit flavor we all come to love. A spicy touch in the back perhaps, but here comes that little bit of bitterness to wrap it all up. Wow, this was amazing.

Overall, I do not know what else I can really say about this one. It was, to be it in context, not only the single best Old Ale I have ever had. This may honestly be my favorite beer I have ever had, it was just that good. It is everything you want in a late night sipper, to me it was just perfect, I could not think of another thing that could be done. You must get this and send it to me, I have to have this one again. Fantastic in every way.

03-18-2008 02:51:21 | More by mikesgroove
fear025

2009 vintage.

Aroma:Tons of sweet malt in the aroma. Also dark fruits, caramel, and molasses. There is a little alcohol aroma coming thru.

Appearance:Dark reddish brown in color. Light tan colored head that doesn't stick around very long.

Taste:The foretaste has lots of caramel malty deliciousness, with some dark fruits, and a hint of chocolate. In the midtaste thru the aftertaste the flavors turn more molasses and dessert-wine like (sherry or port). The aftertaste finishes sweet.

Mouthfeel:Full body, lots of alcohol warmth, medium carbonation.

Drinkability:This beer is right on in terms of style, and deliciously rendered. There is a ton of complexity in all aspects of this beer.

01-08-2011 02:30:03 | More by fear025
Frosty80

Color: pours clear, light brown with reddish hue. sits deep ruby with brown highlights. head is very thin but very creamy with tight bubbles

Smell: intense, rich malt sweetness with luscious caramel and toffee, followed by notes of dried, dark fruit and molasses. alcohol is obvious but not solventy. a hint of oxidation is also present as is some nuttiness

Taste: first wave to hit the palate is more of a tsunami of rich maltiness. kettle caramelization is full and chewy. alcohol is very warming but still yields slightly to a dark fruit character, and hints of molasses, toffee and nuttiness. finish is slightly sweet despite a light bitterness and alcohol nip. light oxidation is also found mingling in between the flavors

Mouthfeel: rich, chewy full body with smooth, light-medium carbonation

Notes: BIG old ale. probably the most exemplary version of the style i have had. cannot find one thing wrong with this beer. one of my first beers from this highly-spoken of brewery and i look forward to the rest

02-28-2011 02:36:09 | More by Frosty80