Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%

(Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003)
4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pours a dark chestnut in color. The beer is darker in color when I look through the side of my glass as not much is visible through it. When I look down on my beer from above it is much lighter in color and I can see the bottom of my glass. Not a lot of head on the pour. There is only a thin layer of bubbles collecting around the edges of my glass as the carbonation rises to the top.

S: The scent is sweet and syrupy like a fine rum. There is lots of toffee, caramel present with a slight hint of alcohol on the end.

T: The flavor is that of sugary sweet malt, with a heavy toffee presence. I can't put my finger on it but it tastes like some sort of sweet baked good.

M: A very smooth mouth on the beer, I almost want to describe it as "fluffy". Silky smooth with hardly any carbonation present. I am surprised that at 13.5% ABV there isn't more alcohol presence in the flavor or in the mouthfeel. I don't detect any alcohol bite on my tongue, but can feel my head getting warmer while I drink.

D: An enjoyable sipper that has all the characteristics of an easy drinking beer. I had no problem getting through the first six ounces of beer but have significantly slowed down since then. I will not have anything else besides water after I am done.

SiepJones, Jun 06, 2011

2008 vintage

Pouring this into my generic snifter it produced a ton of head. Half the glass filled with an off white, tight bubbled foam. Once the head subsided aromas of raisin, pear and yeast rose to meet me. For a high alcohol beer (over %11) only a slight amount of alcohol can be detected. They also covered the alcohol well in the taste. Flavors of port, more raisin notes, fresh apples and there was a very slight bit of smoke. On the tongue it has a spicy sharp bite on the taste buds and pleasant lingering after taste. This beer is a real treat and presents complex flavors in every sip.

brokenleadedcask, May 04, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

2007 edition, 12 ounce bottle into a snifter. Label says 12.5%.

A: Ruby red in color with hardly any head. There's just a few wisps of caramel colored bubbles that form a crown. There's no real lacing to speak of.

S: Overall, a pretty good smelling beer. The main smell I got was of apple cider with a little bit of alcohol. You'd be hard-pressed to tell me this wasn't an alcoholic cider actually.

T: This beer was sweeter than I had expected, and that's perhaps the only reason I'd knock it. The flavors are of caramel apples, strawberry jolly ranchers, There's some alcohol heat in it and a tad bit of bitterness that balance it out fairly well.

M: I love the low carbonation as it works really well here. There's a great smooth, velvety feel on the palate and a nice aftertaste.

D: This has great drinkability for a 12.5% beer. It was a sweet which limited my ability to consume a lot fast, but I definitely wanted more and more.

glazeman, Jan 04, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Kuhnhenn strikes again! It is nice to see the emergence of yet another fine Michigan brewery. Yet most importantly, this beer serves as an important challenger to a beer that has been held close to the hearts of Michiganders for many years.

The Fourth Dementia Olde Ale is truly the only worthy competition to Bell's Third Coast Old Ale I have tasted. Upon glancing at this ale, the drinker is met with its garnet hue. A deep whiff reveals its wonderful caramel nose. Not to be dissapointed, the flavors that emerge are right on par with what you would expect (hope for). Caramel, Graham cracker, fresh baked bread . . a bisquit/crystal nose that proves Kuhnhenn is a house run by those that love beer and respect the grains that contribute to these elixirs.

This beer is balanced delicately with a very clean neutral hop variety to lengthen its finish without overstating its malty qualities. Do not be confused . . . this beer is a malt afficionadoes beer. Pure, full and lingering. Yes hopheads (and I am one), malts have a wonderful vinous viscosity that we can re-experience in this beer.

Cheers!

kohoutek, Jun 08, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Fnally got my hands on this in a trade from bdberr. 12 oz bottle poured into a Weyerbacher tulip...

A - Rich and thick maroon color with some nice darker amber highlights when held to the light. No real head to speak of. The tiniest little eggshell white cap forms and recedes to basically nothing.

S - Rich and buttery aromas. Toffee, caramel, buttery, and some brown sugar. A bit of alcohol comes through along with the slightest bit of coffee. Really very inticing nose.

T - Strong and rich toffee, caramel and very sherry like. Nice dark sugar flavors with some chocolate and coffee at the end. Dark fruits come through as well; raisins, dates, etc. Ever so slight smokiness and/or tobacco flavors at the very end ofthe palate. Really stunning taste. I can only imagine how this one ages. Really reminds me of a nice sherry or port.

M - Slick mouthfeel. Very smooth and medium-heavy bodied. Not much alcohol heat coming through (although there is some there, don't get me wrong. Just not as much as I would have thought).

D - One ofthe best Old Ale's I have ever had. Quite an amazing sipper and the ABV doesn't hinder the enjoyment of this one at all. Cannot wait to try this again in a year or two. So worth the trade!

EDIT: This was the 2010 batch.

KAP1356, Feb 17, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

2009 bottle, ABV 12.5%. Appears to have been printed off on a home printer. I guess that doesn't matter...

Pours a barely translucent dark brown with a tan head. Looks good. Smells amazing. Raisin and other dark fruits darn near fill the room, deep, rich and earthy, this is one of my favorite old ale smells. Good start. Taste is very sweet with that nice sweet, thin front and a touch of hops/bitterness in the back for balance. Just recently had a JW Lees 88, 99 and 08 and this tastes a lot like a slightly better version of the 99 I had. The sweetness here is aggressive and not as off putting as the Lees 99. That said, this beer is very, very similar. What I don't get is that essence of ham that sometimes comes up in the JW Lees for me, and for me, that makes this a winner. Mouthfeel is somehow thinner than what the sticky sweetness eludes to. If it were any thicker (it's still medium-heavy), the sweetness would cover the tongue and be offensive. So while thinner than expected, this is actually welcome. Overall, this beer is not exactly what I was expecting, but I am impressed that this tastes very similar to a beer aged 12 years, and yet comes off more drinkable and enjoyable. If it weren't so sweet, it would be phenomenal. Barely a touch of alcohol, which is very impressive.

seeswo, Mar 26, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle picked up for my by kkulacki (thanks, Konrad) at the Winter Solstice Party. Pours deep blood red and dark with a short white head and big long lacing. Smells like cherry cough syrup, blackberries, hazlenut, hints of coffee, ethanol, strong malts. A pretty amazing come-hither odor. The flavor is cough syrup-forward, with hints of cherries. Body and finish are a much more inviting bland of cherry and chocolate with smokey, almost milky malts. Alcohol storng but not overpowering. Some phenolic qualities, and a hint of bitterness. Trends towards a beer liquor. Comparison to cough syrup hard to shed and i wish that flavor were less pronounced. Thick and full-bodied. Sticky and lip-smacking. Almost chewy. Overall, its a great beer, crazy and expertly crafted. The flavor is not as refined as i remember it being from tastes in the past, but i think perhaps its just too young. Luckily i have a second botttle(!) which will be aged 6-12 mos.

aforbes10, Jan 09, 2008

12oz Bottle

2007 Bottling

A big thanks goes out to hoppymeal for this brew among many others, thanks Derek! There's nothing like an old ale to celebrate the first snow of the season. Fourth Dementia's body is the darkest of reds, that red that borders on black and is deep mahogany when a little light gets to it. I can't see any carbonation through the glass when backlit, the beer looks perfectly still. I had to pour hard to get a head but when it finally started forming it was well worth it. Two fingers of beige creaminess sit atop the body and slowly falls to a thick cap leaving insanely sticky lacing all over the glass. The head sticks around forever and makes for a great looking brew.

The nose is loaded with malty goodness. Deeply toasted grains and brown sugar lay down the big malty base. Coca-Cola, Bing cherries, blackberries, and golden raisins all take place in the aroma in that order exactly. Faint whiffs of vanilla and lightly toasted wood pop up here and there. Alcohol comes through with some spiciness. The nose on this old ale is deeply complex and needs time to open up to get all the perks.

Damn! The flavor is just as malty intense as the nose led on. Caramel, brown sugar, and toasted grains all come through in a big way. That sticky sweetness segues directly into the Coca-cola, cherry and blackberry middle. The finish is somewhat peppery and boozy warm which adds more depth and character. The moderate alcohol heat never gets in the way of this brew and it just wouldn't feel right if there were any less heat.

The mouthfeel is right where it should be. Each drink coats the tongue and cheeks with a sticky sweetness that never becomes cloying but in fact disappears not long after the swallow. The carbonation is a little livelier than I expected, which isn't saying much with the still look on the pour.

This beer is big and complex so it's a sipper without a doubt but it goes down especially easy. I take drink after drink trying to pull out all the intricacies of this beer until I realize it's almost gone.

My first sampling of Fourth Dementia was the bourbon barrel aged version, it was fantastic and this one isn't far behind. One of the best of the style I have sampled to date. Thanks for the bottle Derek!

joe1510, Nov 10, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Huge thanks goes out to my man Derek (hoppymeal) for sending me this Kuhnhenn delight to have for the night before my CPA exam. Split with CoolJosh into two snifters.

A: Opens with a nice hiss and the usual smoke that comes out of the bottle. Poured prudently into the bottom of the snifter. Pours with a nice two finger tan head that lasts the whole glass. For an old ale to have a head like this is just absurd. The color is a nice dark brown with ruby hues.

S: The smell reminds me of their triple bock mixed with american barleywine. Great sweet caramel and toffee blended with some sour milk, chocolate, and some prunes and figs. Some herbal and grassy notes also come out.

T: Very interesting and simultaneously tasty. Reminds me of Bell's eccentric ale. Odd how everything that this reminds me of was also sent by Derek (Eccentric and Kuhnhenn Triple Bock). The milkiness, toffee and caramel are sublime.

M/D: The carbonation is a tad high for an old ale. A little lower and it would be perfect!

Overall, this was the perfect beer for a cold PA night Thanks Derek.

treyrab, Nov 28, 2009

12 oz bottle courtesy of Gaisgeil

Pours a dull ruby brown with no head or lacing. Not much carbonation in this one.

Smell is pretty darn complex. Loads of dark ripe fruits (rasins, dates, figs), molasses, rum, toffee, slight chocolate aroma, definitely wine like and quite a bit of alcohol in the nose.

Taste is also very fruity (same as above), molasses is present, as are caramel, toffee, chocolate, a rum like character, a slight hoppiness, and a very nice alcohol warming sensation as this one goes down (sensation is almost on par with bourbon whiskey). A bit wine-like in flavor, but not nearly as much as it is in the aroma.

Mouthfeel is good, it's not nearly as flat as I originally thought it was when I poured it into the glass. It coats the tongue and the alcohol warming sensation is quite nice.

Overall...a very very good old ale, something that I could definitely have again.

LuckySevens82, May 25, 2005
4.31/5  rDev +0.5%

Received this one from a recent trade with liamt07. Cheers!

Viscous beer, brown in color. Head is very timid.

The nose is strong. Caramel malts, sugars, some rum. Vanilla is too faint initially. In the mouth, this beer explode... Full bodied. Very good. Some caramel notes with a good bitterness. Love this. This is a strong and complex beer. Needs time to fully appreciated this one. Amazing that they are able to make this. I prefer this one, than the barrel aged version. Both are good, but this one is better to me.

ZorPrime, Jan 26, 2013
4.31/5  rDev +0.5%

Whoah! One of the highest ABV beers ever (legally) sold in Ontario.

Appearance: Quite a dark brown depending on how wide your glass is. Poured into a small collectable sample glass from a beer fest it is a very deep brown mahogany. No head or lacing really. Just a small ring around the meniscus.

Smell: Very pungent. Rich chocolate, dark fruits, sweet roasty malt, some lighter fruits, oak, pepper, lemon, leather. Quite complex.

Taste: big and bold. All properties from the scent are available in the taste. A bit of alcohol at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Adequate carbonation for this thick and rich ale. Plan on spending a good hour with this if you find yourself alone with the bottle.

Overall: Lives up to the reputation. A quite drinkable huge beer with complex taste and aroma.

uno99, May 06, 2013
4.31/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Dark crimson with a 1/2 finger of tan head that fades to the perimeter after a few minutes.

Smell: Citrus, biscuity bread, strawberries, hops.

Taste: Biscuit like malt combines nicely with orange and some hops. This is a pleasure to drink for the abv. If I drank this blind and you told me it was 13.5 abv, I wouldn't believe you. Alcohol is masterfully hidden.

Mouthfeel: Not the most carbonated beer in the world but that's expected for the gravity.

Overall: Solid beer, would drink again. Looking forward to many more from Kuhnhenn.

PsilohsaiBiN, Feb 10, 2013
4.31/5  rDev +0.5%

2011 bottling poured into my Hill Farmstead tulip - thanks GraniteSkunk! A beer & brewery I was never sure I'd be able to try, and now I get to sample one of their finest!

A: Hazy dark opaque brown body - hardly any head at all on this beer, can't swirl anything up. Alcohol legs are present on the glass.

S: Caramel, sugary malt, toasted brown sugar, dark fruits (fig, raisin, possibly dates?). There are whiskey-like notes to the nose, not exactly 'barrel-aged' notes, but just suggestions of a whiskey-like character. Faint milk chocolate and ghost-like vanilla.

T: Follows the nose, epics amounts of caramel in this beer as one would expect from an Old Ale. Sweet without being cloying though, supremely drinkable really. Milk chocolate, toffee, figs and raisins, faint vanilla...this is good...a bit of heat is noticeable and balances the sweetness nicely.

MF: Slick, viscous mouthfeel with extremely low carbonation (the bottle hardly hissed when opened) - however it doesn't detract from the drinkability and really lets the flavors shine.

O: Probably the finest Old Ale I've tasted, and I'm not partial to this style. I wanted to kill the hype on this one if I could, but its well deserved. Really nice and drinkable, appears to be the perfect beer for barrel-aging IMO.

Thanks again GraniteSkunk, an awesome extra!

Scotchboy, Apr 01, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

12oz bottle pours into my glass a hazy ruddy brown hue with notes of red. A small cream colored head shows up and then disappears just as quickly. Aromas of big, dense caramel malts. Sweet dark candied fruits mix in alongside a slightly roasted character. Piney, herbal hops are still apparent in the background. There's a bit of toffee and some spiciness in there as well. Smells rich and inviting.

First sip brings a rush of rich caramel malt along with plenty of dark candied fruits. Cherry, plum and grape notes move in along with an overall sweetness. Some toffee, raisin and a light cocoa as it moves down. This flows into a bit of herbal, slightly piney hop flavor that brings a touch of bitterness with it. Finishes with a lingering sweet caramel malt flavor. Alcohol is warming but well hidden. This is a great big, malty brew.

Mouthfeel is viscous and a bit slick from the sweetness. Not as heavy as I was expecting. Mellow carbonation that works well with the overall brew. This one is a sipper for sure. One bottle does the job in a sitting and this would make a good apertif. This is another tasty Kuhnhenn brew that is worth seeking out. This bottle was brewed on 8-1-04 and still holding up quite well.

orbitalr0x, Feb 14, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Well...its my 24th b-day today...and this beer had its 2nd b-day yesterday...I thought it was fitting that I had this today...

Dark garnet color, obvious floaties drift around. Really no head on the pour, only an offwhite ring around the glass. The beer sparkles in the glass. Looks nice...

Dark fruit aromas raisin, fig and plum, hints of cherries. Alcohol is obvious. Toasted malt aromas come in later on and fill out the body of this beer. Great aroma...

This beer is still a bit hot, super alcoholic tasting but doesn't burn too much to turn me off to it. Lots to the taste. Toasted malts again come forth with some caramel sweetness. Dark fruits come out again, fig and plums. Finish is a bit of tobacco. Nicely done overall. This could use another year, although the alcohol might not ever dissapate.

Medium to full bodied mouthfeel. I'd like it to be a bit creamier. Overall a really tasty beer. Complex aroma and taste. A bit hot still, but tolerable. Good overall.

blitz134, Aug 03, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Very interesting and complex beer.

Pours an almost reddish brown color with a thin, whispy, tan colored layer of foam.

Aromas of dark and dried fruits, wood, earth, mollasses, honey, caramel, toffee and spice. Some nutty, alcohol and slight oxidation is noticeable as well.

Tastes of big malty sweetness followed by an impressive bitterness (not what I had expected) that helps with the balance. Some nutty, caramel and mollasses flavors. Woody alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium to full with a chewy body, nice alcohol warmth and a sweet finish.

BillyB, Mar 10, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet. 4D poured a thick muddy brown with barely a cream colored halo for a head. The nose is malty and rich with strong notes of fig. Very pleasant. The taste is a rich malty sweetness with toffee and fig. The mouth is thick and viscous with minimal carbonation. Overall, this is a very decadent old ale that is far from sessionable but is very tasty and one I am glad to have tried. Enjoy!

AnPiobaire, Mar 01, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours chestnut and mahogany with a thin but big, bubbly, tan head. Minimal lace on the glassware.
Aroma of orange, deep caramel and some lightly roated barley notes. Darker fruit notes of raisins, figs and dates also emerge as it warms. Some peat and maple syrup like note also emerges
Flavor of sweet chocolate, peaty and smoked notes. Some dark citrus fruits with a hint of orange peel, sweet brown sugar and some mulled spices. Faints of leather, wood and tobacco magically appear as it really warms. Delicious but only when warmed.
Mouthfeel is full but hyper sweet cut by some roasted notes and a scotch-like peat alcoholic tone.
Drinkability is very good. Excellent, tasty beer but the hyper-sweetness makes one enough. Poured at least 10-15 degrees too cold. If you get one, leave it on the bar top, try another brew and come back to it. It'll be ready.

CRJMellor, Sep 07, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

2007 vintage received a while back from DLucky.... I tried a bottle my bro brought over a couple of months back and it piqued my interest.. so... tonight is the night. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Aggressive pour lends only a short lived 3/4" head with a nice cap.. the brew is a beautiful deep brown with bright crimson highlites when held to a light... very pretty and a unique looking brew... nice lace as the liquid slowly drops.

Aroma is very complex... reminds me of an English BW and an older Tawny port.. fruity and leathery with a mild spicy hop background... raisins and lite figs ...

The flavor is huge and comes in waves... very thick malty presence ... with abundant dried fruit .... figs.. lite prune.. fairly sweet.. dry cigar wrapper.. again is reminiscent of an aged English BW... but very aged.. spicy and peppery.... a little bit of ETOH heat.. but actually adds to the overall presentation.. the body is thick and coating.. maybe a little sweet for my palate.. but I honestly think it should probably be cellared for a while longer.. maybe years... what do I know? The carbonation is alot more lively than expected... pouring this one, I did not expect as much.

This brew is a sleeper.. because the finish is sooo long... I am really liking it... now I just need to find a good connection for Kuhnhenn.

Thanks Dan for the fantastic trade.

JohnGalt1, Dec 26, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Dark but clear brown with reddish highlights. Half an inch of head forms from a gentle pour, which settles into a ring.

Smell: Dried fruit, molasses, old leather - very earthy and bold, the aroma really jumps out of the glass.

Taste & mouthfeel: Rich toffee-like sweetness with underlying notes of prunes and fruitcake. Hops come out mid-finish, earthy and herbal with a lasting bitterness. A mineral quality appears at warmer temperatures, bringing to mind iron. Heavy/syrupy on the palate with low-to-moderate carbonation, definitely a sipper but a highly enjoyable one.

Notes: Thanks to Dyan for sharing this one. This typically isn't my favorite style but this one definitely won me over.

largadeer, May 06, 2008

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Hazy brown colour with an average size off-white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some really good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, dark fruits, vanilla

Taste & Mouth - There is a slightly below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel and toffee. There is also a touch of hop bitterness and I can taste some raisins and light vanilla. The beer finishes with a sweet buttery and malty aftertaste.

Overall – You'd never guess that the beer had 13.5% alcohol. It's very well hidden and while the taste is very sweet it isn't too over the top. I'd definitely like to have a few bottles of this on hand for the colder months. It's a well crafted and well balanced beer and is well worth seeking out.

spinrsx, Jun 13, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to kdub87 for sending this one.

Pours a slightly hazy warm brown into a snifter, and shines red when held to the light. Less than a finger of off-white head fades, leaving some lacing on the glass.

I smell caramel, raisin, fig, and a whiff of booze. Not a very strong smell, but quite pleasant.

Everything from the smell is in the taste as well, only much more intense. I pick up the sweet caramel first, and this is quickly followed by a bloom of dark fruit. The boozy warmth is there at the end, but still astonishingly well concealed for 13.5 abv.

Thick and a bit sticky, but not overwhelming.

A very good beer overall, and almost certainly the best I've had in its category.

Pellinore1, Aug 22, 2011

2010 Vintage.

It pours a dark brown, more or less black with a fizzy and small light tan head. It quickly fizzes away with just a few specks of lacing. Kind of expected at this abv, but yet some brewers manage to produce beers with decent heads at this abv.

The smell is good. There is a noticeable old ale base. The bourbon and oak aren't overpowering but still highly noticeable. There is a huge amount of dark fruits and a hint of soy.

The taste is rich with bourbon and dark fruits. Really deep dark fruit notes. The bourbon adds a bit of alcohol, vanilla, and caramel. It isn't too alcoholic in the taste though, not too hot. It warms the tummy for sure though. It feels like you are drinking a liqueur rather than a beer taste-wise.

This is a beer that combines the best aspects of an old ale with some really good barrel notes. I would recommend tracking down a bottle.

crossovert, Feb 29, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

I received this in a trade some time ago. Bottle is from 2009 and listed as 12.5%. Review is from notes taken on 3/14/2011 and poured from the bottle to a snifter. Thank Jeebus I have 2 bottles left...

Appearance: Pour is a deep cola brown and it starts with about 1/4 finger tan head that fades immediately to nothing other than a scant wisp trailing across the surface; body is pretty dark, but shows some ruby/mahogany highlights when held up; pretty soft carbonation is what I see, I have feeling it's going to be even lighter on the palate; no lacing is left behind, not that I would expect any in a beer like this.

Smell: Fantastic. Smells absolutely amazing -- tons of caramel and butterscotch really set up the scents; dark ripe fruits; some kind of spiciness is in there, kind of reminds me of ginger and cinnamon; definite presence of warm alcohol and a bit of a cola-like sweetness; smell is quite robust.

Taste: Holy schyte! Fan-freaking-tastic! Really matches the smell to a "T" -- tons of sweet caramel and butterscotch dominate the palate and there's definite a chewy and overly ripe dark fruit aspect (like raisins) and there's also a bit of spiciness to it (as mentioned in the smell); definite presence of alcohol warms the breath. I have to say, I'm reminded of drinking bourbon and Coke.

Mouthfeel: Body is thick and chewy, just heavier than medium in weight; a thin and dry stickiness is left on the palate; carbonation is essentially non-existent and I have to admit, I would mind just a touch more, but the semi-flatness isn't necessarily outside the style; belly is left very warm, as is the breath from the 12.5% ABV.

Drinkability: Moderate -- the high ABV really keeps it honest, and the super sweetness could become a bit much. I have to say, this is a beer that is probably better shared.

bamadog, Mar 15, 2011