Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%

(Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003)
WVUbrew

lunarbrew

01-16-2014 15:08:08 | More by lunarbrew
Stevedore

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz bottle of the 2013 Winter Solstice release; poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass alongside the 2013 Bourbon-barrel aged version in a separate glass, today, 1/15/2014.

Pours a fairly standard dark brown body with a fluffy tan head that dissipates fairly quickly. Looks like a barleywine, really. Nothing out of the ordinary. Lacing is non-existent.

Smells very sweet- lots of caramel, toffee and dark fruits- even more interesting than BB4D which is a beer where the barrel vanilla dominates so much- and is even a little more complex. Still, I am missing the vanilla even though I enjoy the complexity and intensity of this beer.

Flavourwise, very sweet- lots of toffee, butterscotch and molasses, which isn't cut by the oak and vanilla of the BB4D which kind of takes away from my experience with this beer. Still complex with a lot going on; I can see why some people prefer this to BB4D. I'm not one of these people, however.

Medium to full bodied, well carbonated and slick. Not terribly difficult to drink. Aftertaste is mostly a dark fruity butterscotch flavour; different than the BB4D.

BB4D is definitely a better choice than regular 4D; given it was only a dollar more, I wouldn't bother with 4D; but 4D is a great beer in its own right so if you have the option to get it alongside BB4D, I would definitely recommend taking it. I can see why some people prefer the 4D to the BB4D.

01-16-2014 06:00:24 | More by Stevedore
Norseman

01-12-2014 20:42:55 | More by Norseman
StoutHunter

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

I got a bottle of Kuhnhenn's Fourth Dementia 4D as an awesome birthday present from my friend Ben. I'm a big Kuhnhenn fan but since they are still a pretty small operation I only see their beers at Beer Festivals or at some of the better bars and I don't get a chance to try their beers as much as I would like to, but I've been wanting to try 4D ever since I first found out about Kuhnhenn, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage, 13.5%. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A= The label looks pretty nice, it's just got a fancy and classy look to it with some shiny gold 4D on the label, it's the best Kuhnhenn label I've seen since most of them look like they printed on a standard computers printer. It poured a pretty cloudy and murky brown color that didn't let much light through and it looked even murkier when held to the light with a half of fingers worth of tan/off white head that quickly faded away to nothing and it left a really small amount of spotty lacing behind. This isn't the greatest looking beer, just by looking at it in the glass it isn't that attractive, but it's not so bad looking I wouldn't give it a try, I don't think any beer can look that bad.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a slight molasses aroma to it followed by loads of malts being the first to show up and they impart some great caramel and toffee aromas with a pretty good amount of dark fruits showing up next with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a sweet and noticeable boozy aroma followed by a little bit of roasted malts on the finish that give this beer a rich, lightly roasted and light chocolate like aroma and there's also a light leather like aroma. This beer has a very nice aroma, I think it's fairly complex and I thought the different aspects worked well with each other.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness which seems to be on the lower side, it's not cloying and imparts a slight molasses like flavor followed by some great caramel and toffee flavors with an equal amount of dark fruits that show up also with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a slight leather flavor with a pretty light alcohol flavor that is very well hidden and it's not nearly as boozy as I thought it would be. Towards the end comes a light tobacco like flavor with some roasted malts showing up at the end with a light chocolate flavor and a lower amount of bitterness with a caramel, toffee, dark fruit, and light roasted malt aftertaste. This was a very good tasting beer that was pretty complex with some expertly hidden alcohol.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, pretty rich, a little creamy, full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation that worked nicely with this beer. This beer had a very good mouthfeel that was pretty much perfect for this beer.

Overall I thought this was very good beer and very good example of an Old Ale, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale was my favorite Old Ale, but I have to say after trying this I think 4D blows it out of the water, not that Third Coast Old Ale isn't great, 4D is just pretty much better in every aspect besides price and it's just a more intense and complex version of Old Ale that is just as smooth, maybe even smoother than Third Coast Old Ale which blows my mind. This beer had great drinkability, the 13.5 wasn't nearly as noticeable as I thought it would be, it was fairly smooth, complex, rich, a little sticky, pretty filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I think one bottle would be the perfect amount for me and if I had the chance I would could probably drink two, but I'm sure i would be feeling it in the morning. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the alcohol was hidden, it seriously blew my mind that a 13.5% Old Ale could be this smooth, I'm very impressed by that and I thought the taste was awesome. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it just isn't a good looking, which overall isn't that big of a deal and I learned a while ago to never judge a beer on it's looks. I would for sure buy this beer if I ever saw it for sale, it's pretty pricey but I think it's worth it and it makes for a nice beer for a special occasions. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who likes Old Ales or big beers in general, I don't think this will disappoint. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I expected good things from this beer but all together it exceeded my expectations and I think it's an overall great beer and I would love to try the barrel aged version of this one day and I'm pretty sure this would be a great beer to cellar and I think it could get even better with time. Great work guys, I think the Kuhnhenns are simply the best at what they do and this is a world class beer, keep up the great work guys.

01-12-2014 20:27:30 | More by StoutHunter

01-06-2014 17:11:38 | More by ThatsThatDude
Jeffo

Netherlands

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

My dad picked this up for me while in MI a while back. Thanks pops!

From a bottle into a snifter

APPEARANCE: A muddy, opaque brown pour is actually kind of gross looking. A slight wisp with lousy retention vanishes over a muddy brown body with no real carbonation. Kinda ugly and looks basically flat by the end.

SMELL: Bold nose with lots of toffee, caramel, dark fruits, leather aromas and a good dose of alcohol. Dark chocolate comes out as it warms as well. Really nice.

TASTE: Toffee and leather up front with lots of caramel and sweet dark fruits at the swallow. Bold and lingering finish is very sweet with some bitter chocolate, leather and tobacco flavors acting as balance to the sweet toffee and fruit flavors. Some spicy alcohol provide a nice base as well. Very nice, and not nearly as boozy as expected.

PALATE: Medium-full body with medium levels of carbonation, surprisingly enough. Semi-creamy on the palate, goes down with a bit of a scratch and finishes rather sticky. Solid feel.

OVERALL: Excellent stuff! The look was awful, but the rest of the experience was top notch. Lots of complex and bold aromas and flavors with a hefty feel to support it all. Definitely something worth checking out if you get the chance. Thanks again dad. Recommended.

01-06-2014 12:23:34 | More by Jeffo
GeoffreyM

01-06-2014 02:41:20 | More by GeoffreyM
mmapes

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Big thanks to Andrew for the trade. We opened a 2012 vintage.

Pours cloudy, murky brown. Smells of whiskey, carmel. Smells sweet - very sweet, some molasses.

First impression: sweet! Lingering finish has an herbal quality. Medicinal? Very hot. Probably needs to warm up before we can say more definitively what the taste will be.

Later sips: the herbal component stays in the back. The sweetness stays forward. Probably less balanced and interesting than my favorite Old Stock, but pretty good. Up my alley.

Nice thick mouthfeel coats the tongue.

01-03-2014 00:49:18 | More by mmapes