Kuhnhenn Crème Brûlée Java Stout - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Crème Brûlée Java StoutKuhnhenn Crème Brûlée Java Stout

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-28-2004

This is my favorite beer in the world, anytime I go back to Michigan I make sure to stop in and have a pint or two...and then take out a growler or two.
Best nose of any beer I've ever had, and the taste doesn't disappoint either. Not too much coffee, not too much vanilla, not too sweet and it actually still tastes like beer unlike the Southern Tier Creme Brulee. If I was left with only one beer I could drink for the rest of my life it would be this one. (458 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +25.2%

This is why we BAs try new beers. Crème Brulee pours virtually black, with just ever so subtle highlights of deep mahogany around the edges. It's topped by a toffee colored head. The aroma is reminiscent of sweet hot chocolate, with vanilla and caramel notes mixed in with the coffee and chocolate. The flavor is absolutely mind blowing. Heavy cream, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, caramel, molasses, and then the hints of hops and roasted malt. The aftertaste is cocoa sweetness with a touch of hop bitterness. Caramel and dark chocolate lingers on the tail end. The flavor draws out for a good while, and you could really stretch a pint of this beer. Very easy to sit and savor, but just as easy to have more than a couple. The mouthfeel is just ultra creamy, silky, sexy. I considered skipping my flight for this beer, but thankfully they provided me with a couple bottles for the trip home. This is that beer that falls into the top 1% of beers you drink. I feel enriched having had the opportunity to experience it. I will pine for a return trip to the Motor City and Kuhnhenn. (1,080 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +23.2%

Very dark in color. Not a lot of head to speak of. Fantastic aroma-chocolatey and vanilla mix-just a great blend of smells-truely dessert in a glass. Great roasted flavor with a full though mellow coffee flavor behind it all. Pefect blend of the coffee and chocolate notes with a creamy vanilla mix in there. Great body-somewhat thin for all that flavor. A fantastic beer overall. Incredible stuff. (398 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a fresh growler into pint glass, pitch black color, a finger of mocha head that disappears quickly. Moderate carbonation, medium body. Not as thick as I thought it would be, more oily and smooth. Not a bad thing, though. Aroma is vanilla and sweet caramel, with hints of roast coffee. Taste is the opposite, roast coffee and dark chocolate forward, with sweetness underneath as a smooth balance, not too bitter. The coffee has a definite roasted note, not burnt. Beautiful balance, one of the smoothest stouts I've had. (531 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +21.4%

oh boy, saw this on the board ar Kuhnhenn's, and had to have it...

A - dark dark dark, very dark, with a dark brown hot chocolate head, too dark for carbonation to be noticed

S - holy moley, this smells great, a big, no HUGE coffee aroma, with subtle hints of vanilla that aren't really subtle but they are relative to the coffee aroma

T - the board description is accurate, brown sugar, coffee, and vanilla, a wonderful meld of these great flavors and a background of hops

M&D - this is a near perfect beer, not too thick or thin, to bitter or to sweet, what a great flavor balance! if you can buy, trade, or steal (ok dont steal) this beer, its worth it

shouldn't this be a double stout? (704 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +20.2%

I guess I've build some karma up, because hoppymeal sent me this growlers simply because he had bought to many. Not sure how you can buy to many. Unless maybe you suddenly become a celiac or your liver stops. Either way I need to not look a gift horse in the mouth. Huge thanks to hoppymeal!

Appearance: Solid, opaque, blackish brown body. The darkest brown I've ever seen. Creates a 1/2 inch, camel beige head that quickly this to a wispy covering that leaves faint lacing around the glass.

Smell: Heavenly. I see, or should say smell, why Creme Brulee in the name for it smells just like the freshly torched desert. Burnt/caramelized sugar, vanilla, lightly roasted coffee, and sweet custard.

Taste: Beautiful levels of sweat malt, vanilla, and cream balanced by mild coffee and roasted malt bitterness. Wonderfully balanced flavor. Lingers in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: This is the beers true one flaw. It is way too thin for the stout. The body is a kin to a light ale or even a lager. The taste hangs pleasantly, but it is just too thin. Not too thin to stop drinking, but too thin for a stout.

Drinkability: Ridiculous! Can a beer be too drinkable? No, but this one is close. (1,182 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +19.4%

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: Beautiful black, it looks just like a tasty cup of coffee. A nice tan head about an inch in height. Also, a nice lacing down the side of the pint glass.

S: Cocoa! Chocolate! Coffee! What an outstanding smelling beer. If you were to give this to a non beer drinker, blind folded them, and made them smell it, they would seriously think they were about to drink a gourmet hot cocoa from Zingerman's Coffee Shop! I'm blown away at how good this baby smells!

T: Have you ever had Founders Breakfast Stout? I'm assuming you have! It tastes just like the Founders BS except for the amazing cocoa taste! Mocha Java, Cocoa, Toasty and Roasty! If that's even a word. Probably not but considering I'm reviewing a beer, I'm going to go with it! One of the finest beers I've tasted! Mainly because of the coffee/cocoa combo!

M: A little heavy but that is expected. Medium carbonation.

D: Wow! Give me a couple more of these. I could drink this for breakfast every morning with a smile on my face. One outstanding offering. I seriously am impressed!

Overall, Ashley's has had Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout on tap for the last couple of weeks and let me tell you, I dented that keg quite nicely. But the Kuhnhenn version blows the ST out of the water IMO. I like the ST because of it's high ABV but the Kuhnhenn just tastes that much better. A lot of coffee and a lot of cocoa. Not as rich as ST. Sorry Southern Tier, Kuhnhenn beats you out here! (1,480 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +16.4%

This beer pours a dirty dark brown with a frothy tan collar.

Smells of vanilla and caramelized sugar, sweet cream and marshmallow. There's a dry grain behind it all with a hint of coffee. Although there's a lot going on here, the balance is extraordinary.

Tastes of a luscious nutty brown ale base that's piled high with a delicate vanilla and sweet cream. The caramelized sugar is there again too. Again, the balance is marvelous.

Feels thick with a quick swarm of thin carbonation.

Balance! Well done. I'm also impressed with how well the sweetness was kept at bay. (572 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap an Kuhnhenn's last weekend for the first time. I love coffee stouts of any kind, no matter what else is thrown into the mix, and this is one of the best I've had.

A- Dark and heavy, with a tan head.
S- Absolutely divine- strong coffee and vanilla
T- Also absolutely divine. I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of vanilla taste, but it was pretty hidden underneath the coffee, as well as caramel and chocolate. I never pass up a coffee stout of any kind, and this was by far one of the best tasting one's I've ever heard. A new favorite.
M- Very creamy, and mid-full body.

O- Great beer. I may be biased because I'm partial to Kuhnhenn beers, and I'm also partial to coffee stouts, but this was just an awesome, well-blended, flavorful stout. (758 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +15.6%

Thanks so much to the generous person at the Jackie O's release who shared this with me. I owe you one!

A: Pours like a normal stout - nothing special here...yet. A decent dark black with some crimson hues), and a decent, creamy tan head.

S: This is glorious! Smells like a nice creme brulee blended with an awesome stout. Great coffee, rich chocolate, caramel, and sweet creme brulee. Some nice cherry flavors too.

T: Decadent. Contrary to Southern Tiers version, I could drink this all day. Tons of sweet creme brulee, chocolate, caramel, toffee, but at the same time light enough to drink a few glasses.

Would love to try this again sometime. Thanks again! (663 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

The Java Stout pours textbook stout black with a modest tan head on top. The nose is sweet coffee and chocolate malts, very strong without being aggressively burnt roasty like many stouts.

The flavour is an interesting two part act: the first part is a delightful coffee infused stout: lightly roasted with strong bitter coffee aspects present. The back half is extremely sweet and sugary with a big vanilla cream flavour, and makes for a great send-off.

The mouthfeel on this is moderately thick, but not overly so, simply decent. The drinkability is exceptional though, a beer that I will be looking for actively whenever I visit the brewery.

The bottom line: I love coffee, and I love beer. I think most of the coffee brews that are put out end up unbalanced in some way, or unsatisfying. Kuhnhenn have put together my ideal java brew here. Strong coffee, but balanced. A unique sweet vanilla finish. Really great stuff. (926 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +15.1%

I had the first glass out of the Firkin at the BA gathering at HopCat in Grand Rapids 2 months ago. It was amazing!! It was Black with a very dirty brown head with a light milky hint. The Smell was very rich and well balanced, a very good foreshadowing of the flavor. There was not a lot of mouth feel witch I thought fit this very flavorful beer. The mocha and cream flavors were very well balanced not overpowering. Very drinkable beer that would go well after a big Italian dinner, or maybe in the morning to help nurse a hangover. Over all excellent beer!! (560 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +15.1%

After having the blueberry that these guys make, this was the coffee with my pancakes. Wow, what a great dessert beer. I love the look of the dark beers, and this one doesn't dissapoint. Nice chocolate mix with toffee creme head. After all the beers I sampled at the World Beer Festival yesterday, this was the most unique. The combination of flavors and smells was off the planet. Vanilla, coffee, caramel, creme, malty, thick and yummy!!! Sweet, but not sickly sweet. I would love to have this with creme brule'. Wow, what a beer! (532 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +14.9%

Drank this from a firkin at HopCat in Grand Rapids.

A: Black, with a hint of a dark, woody brown. Head is a somewhat milky tan, and has decent retention for a stout.

S: Coffee and creme. Very well-balanced and pleasing. Predicts the flavor wonderfully.

T: Coffee and mocha flavors are most pronounced. Some creme and cherry flavors are hinted at over time, but do not overwhelm the focus of the beer.

M: A little bit thin. Little bite, which fits the flavors well.

D: Highly drinkable. Even with the relatively complex flavor structure, the beer is in many ways still refreshing. (584 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

A- Thick & black. Pours with a one-inger mocha-colored head

S- Creamy coffee

T- Sweet, creamy coffee & vanilla. Is this really beer?? Finishes with a solid coffee sweetness

M- Medium-to-full bodied. A little thinner than I'd like.

D- Doesn't get any better than this. (272 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

Thanks go out to goryshkewych for supplying this.

A: Pours jet black. One finger of mocha head. Decent amount of lacing.

S: Roasted espresso. Really smells like creme brule. Vanilla.

T: Espresso beans. Tons of roast. Chocolate. Vanilla. Damn this is complex.

M: Nice solid medium body. Low carbonation but good.

D: I could drink this all day. Literally. Simply amazing. (374 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

I have been waiting to have this one fresh at the source for some time....finally my time has come!

A-Deep, dark brownish black with garnet highlights. Medium light tan head reduces to a thin veil and leaves nice lace.

S-Sweet, caramelized brown sugar and vanilla with a touch of light fresh roasted coffee. Even with my allergy affected nose this smells fantastic.

T-A royal rumble between the brown sugar/vanilla sweetness versus the roasted coffee bitterness. In the end the coffee flavour wins out as the bitterness lingers longer in the finish.

M-Medium body and despite the sweetness it never gets sticky. Long lasting flavours.

D-Wonderful! At "only" 5.8% this brew has all of the flavour you could want. Simply outstanding! (736 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

Black with dark brown head. Aroma is filled with coffee, with good quality cup of espresso. Roasted coffee dominates taste. Bitterness is present, but is subdued. This stout has coffee written all over it. It is by far the most coffee I've tasted in any beer. It is a good replacement for a cup o' joe. Tasty. Mouthfeel, so reminiscent of a good coffee brew, is wonderful, but just like with a cup of strong coffee, drinkability is not there. This beer is too powerful to be drank in large amounts. For me, even a full pint is too much.

I've enjoyed this beer at the quiet bar on Saturday afternoon. Despite the fact that I am not a stout drinker, I enjoyed this beer and will be glad to have another pint given the opportunity. (732 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

A 10 oz pour at Tylers in Apex.

Pitch black with absolutely no head. It poured that way all night. Which means no lacing.

Smells exactly like how i like coffee. Strong on the coffee with hints of vanilla, milk, and caramel.

Tastes like it smells. Strongest flavor is definitely coffee, followed by caramel and vanilla. Light body and creamy mouthfeel. Almost feels nitro.

Not about destroying your mouth, but what is there is really well pit together. (455 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Arrives with a pitch black color and a mocha head that declines to a ringlet and leaves minimal lacing behind

Smell: Smells like cuban coffee with a sweet coffee tone that is underpinned by a lot of vanilla

Taste: Up front, it's not dissimilar to a sweet cuban coffee, although there is more chocolate and vanilla; after the swallow, the chocolate is joined by the coffee though the finish is dominated by the sweet residual vanilla flavor and the burnt caramel topping of the creme brulee

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I am wowed by the flavor here; much less cloying than Southern Tier yet still a bit sweet to drink in quantity (679 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

12oz bottle with a nice label. February 2005 edition. Damn is this brewery excellent, I can't wait to make my pilgrimage in a few weeks:-)

Dark black with red ruby edges. Head is tan coloured in nature and billowy. The aroma screams of strong dark roasted colombian coffee beans, roasted malts also come into play. There is also a slight hint of vanilla in the background. The taste is all roasted coffee. Bitter and acidic. There is also a sweetness in the background and hints of vanilla bean, sugar, and perhaps even the creme brulee that this brew is named after. The mouthfeel is light, considering all of the flavor that is packed into this gem. It's also acidic and a little lactic on the tongue. One can certainly tell that a double/imperial version of this brew beefed up to about 10%abv with a thick-ass mouthfeel would be legendary. Hopefully the brothers Kuhnhenn take note! Drinkability is good as well, but not perfect. The mouthfeel and acidic sweetness of this could get annoying after a while. But if I had a six pack in front of me, it would probably be gone by the end of the night. Another majestic creation from this brewery that sits amongst my personal favorites. Thanks to walleye for the sample! (1,223 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

At the GTOM.

Very nice head and dark almost black. Smelled like coffee and candy. Tasted like something you could sink your teeth into. The carmelized sugar gave it this great desert taste with a knockout coffee flavor to it. The mouthfeel was very smooth. I would drink this day after day after day. My brother doesn't drink anything thats not candy and I think that he would even jump for this beer. This is what I call a desert beer. (437 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +13.1%

Reviewing the Crème Brûlée Java Stout from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company. Thank you Frank and Lester for sharing this majestic brew with me and many others the night before Dark Lord Day at the Marriott Courtyard.
Score: 96

Growler pour served in a plastic cup and enjoyed 04/27/12. Once the growler passed around, I was able to get a larger pour, and I could not have been happier. Review is from notes.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown, coffee-like color with ruby highlights and a thin tan ring of head around the glass. No lacing or retention discernible. 4/5

Smell: Ridiculously inviting! An excellent medley of creamy coffee, roast, crème brûlée, vanilla, milk chocolate and mocha. 5/5

Taste: Iced coffee, roasted, milk chocolate and mocha. Modest vanilla and plenty of bittersweet nestle morsels flavor. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, low carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel. Slightly bitter, roasty finish. Thinner bodied than hoped for, but it does not undermine the overall quality of the beer too much. 3.5/5

Overall: A very flavorful and delicious smelling non-imperial stout. Fans of chocolate, mocha and crème brûlée unite! I will surely be seeking out bottles of this in the future.

Recommendation: A great starter craft beer for iced coffee drinkers and flavorful stout for beer geeks.

Pairings: Crème brûlée, of course.

Cost: $28 for a 64 oz growler. (1,376 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

I'll start off by saying how much I really like this beer. And the six pack is very fresh. The store just got this in today.

O.K. Now I can review it.

This one pours out to a wonderful blackness in the glass with a slight head. The aroma is that of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. The taste, while thin for a stout in some respects, makes up for it in the varying tastes that come to the forefront. I tasted coffee, chocolate, vanilla all wrapped up in not a high alcohol imperial style of beer but one clocking in at under 6% ABV, which puts this at a high factor for drinkability. Its defintely different, but in a good way.

You could actually session this beer if you wanted to.

You know what?

That is what I am doing right now.

Well done K Bro's. (772 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +11.8%

I had a couple of glasses of this at Kuhnhenn Brew Pub. An exquisitely tasty stout. In the glass it itimidates you with it's dark chocolate appearance. The head was minimal medium brown in color. A touch of lacing to the glass. The seller, the aroma. A friend of mind mentioned Nestle Qwik cocoa powder. Yes, the nose on this is definately Nestle chocolate. All that I wanted to do is just sit there and smell the beer. Okay, okay, let's take a sip...

OMG! Absolutely delicious. Probably the best stout that I have tasted. A well balanced beer with tons of malt and a subtle sweetness. It smells sweeter than it tastes. If you get the chance stop by the brew pub and try a glass or two. Can I say heaven in a bottle? (717 characters)

Kuhnhenn Crème Brûlée Java Stout from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company