Kuhnhenn Crème Brûlée Java Stout - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-28-2004

3.6/5  rDev -12%

Had on tap at the Kuhnhenn brewpub. It was an interestingly flavored beer that I had to try but won't want to sample again.

The appearance was pretty good, nearly opaque brown color with a wet-looking but none too clingy-to-glass head. The aroma was very sweet, vanilla and cocoa and maybe a touch of smoke. The flavor was intensely sweet, almost tasted like a syrup was added to the beer or something. Decent enough mouthfeel, but the bitingly sweet taste was too much for me.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Enjoyed at the brewpub. This beer was almost completely black, with just a faint chestnut tint at the edge of the glass. The dark tan head left some chunky lacing and the foam showed good retention. The aroma was overwhelmingly vanilla, with a fair bit of roast (almost coffee) and milk chocolate as well. Mild bitterness, definitely balanced towards sweetness, this brew is malty. Full of chocolate and roasty notes, there's still a lot of vanilla in here. Full bodied, low carbonation, and silky smooth. This stuff is good, but really intense. I imagine it would go great with a lot of desserts.

4.82/5  rDev +17.8%

oh boy, saw this on the board ar Kuhnhenn's, and had to have it...

A - dark dark dark, very dark, with a dark brown hot chocolate head, too dark for carbonation to be noticed

S - holy moley, this smells great, a big, no HUGE coffee aroma, with subtle hints of vanilla that aren't really subtle but they are relative to the coffee aroma

T - the board description is accurate, brown sugar, coffee, and vanilla, a wonderful meld of these great flavors and a background of hops

M&D - this is a near perfect beer, not too thick or thin, to bitter or to sweet, what a great flavor balance! if you can buy, trade, or steal (ok dont steal) this beer, its worth it

shouldn't this be a double stout?

2.79/5  rDev -31.8%

This was beer #4 of 4 last night & the most disappointing of the four. Last summer at the World Beer Expo, this was the hit of the festival for me, but since I only had a taste, I didn't want to review it until I had an entire glass. I must have had it built up so much in my head that this was bound disappoint. Brought to me in a pint glass out of a nitro pour. The appearance is nice - thin, tan head over deep mahogany, dark brown. Smells like vanilla cake/frosting/cake batter, burnt sugar, & roasted malt. Aside from the malt, it smells like a creme brule. Taste is vanilla sweetness up front followed by some bitter espresso & malt, but then there's a bizarre sour flavor that hits like cheap coffee - very odd. The mouthfeel was very watery, this needs to be creamier. With all of this taken into consideration, this is not very drinkable. It was actually difficult to finish. Hopefully it was just a bad batch...Not recommended.

4.51/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Arrives with a pitch black color and a mocha head that declines to a ringlet and leaves minimal lacing behind

Smell: Smells like cuban coffee with a sweet coffee tone that is underpinned by a lot of vanilla

Taste: Up front, it's not dissimilar to a sweet cuban coffee, although there is more chocolate and vanilla; after the swallow, the chocolate is joined by the coffee though the finish is dominated by the sweet residual vanilla flavor and the burnt caramel topping of the creme brulee

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I am wowed by the flavor here; much less cloying than Southern Tier yet still a bit sweet to drink in quantity

3.06/5  rDev -25.2%

The beer poured into the glass hugely and wildly carbonated with only 5 ounces or so in the imperial pint before it tried to erupt out the top with a frothy and brown head which was 5" tall.

The aroma was estery and fruity with an odd green bell pepper vegetal note while the head was high. Almost a Texas Pete spice quality to the aroma after it was poured. As the head fell a chocolate and roast character began to emerge with a light bit of frutiness.

The flavor of the head was metallic and strongly so. Once the head dissipated the flavor was chocolate and roast and more of that bell pepper, but with a light bit of heat, just as if some Texas Pete had found it's way into the beer. No beer in their listing has anything to do with peppers, but the flavor was bell pepper and slithly hot. A very light tartness was present, but not enough to make one think the beer was infected except for the gradeur of the head.

The finish was dry with a light lasting roast and bell pepper into the aftertaste. The body was medium light with a huge level of carbonation which caused the body to seem less than it was. I have no idea what is going on in this beer. Every time I have had it previous it had too much diacetyl for my preference. Now we have a huge presence of vegetal notes, but they are not cooked corn, it is raw, green bell pepper, and Texas Pete. Something is amiss and who the heck knows what it might be.

12 ounce bottle, March 2006 on the label. Many thanks to hoppdeup!

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

Black with dark brown head. Aroma is filled with coffee, with good quality cup of espresso. Roasted coffee dominates taste. Bitterness is present, but is subdued. This stout has coffee written all over it. It is by far the most coffee I've tasted in any beer. It is a good replacement for a cup o' joe. Tasty. Mouthfeel, so reminiscent of a good coffee brew, is wonderful, but just like with a cup of strong coffee, drinkability is not there. This beer is too powerful to be drank in large amounts. For me, even a full pint is too much.

I've enjoyed this beer at the quiet bar on Saturday afternoon. Despite the fact that I am not a stout drinker, I enjoyed this beer and will be glad to have another pint given the opportunity.

2.58/5  rDev -36.9%

Out of the bottle, this thing pours with a humungous head that clings to the sides. A pretty beer. The smell is like your nose walked into a Starbucks that just spilled a few bottles of Youngs Double Chocolate Stout on the floor. What a nose. Perhaps too big? Is that possible?
Taste? Maybe I got a bad bottle. This is the antithesis of smooth and tastes like a cold cup of coffee. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and not very smooth. A drainpour for me.

4.89/5  rDev +19.6%

Very dark in color. Not a lot of head to speak of. Fantastic aroma-chocolatey and vanilla mix-just a great blend of smells-truely dessert in a glass. Great roasted flavor with a full though mellow coffee flavor behind it all. Pefect blend of the coffee and chocolate notes with a creamy vanilla mix in there. Great body-somewhat thin for all that flavor. A fantastic beer overall. Incredible stuff.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

If your reading this review, than you might be considering try this beer...Do yourself a favor, and DO IT!

Poured a deep black with little lacing.

THe smell is, well, a mochaccino with cream. It's all those rich coffee textures, some roast, some sweet caramel, some nutty sense.

The taste is heavenly, at least on draft it is. Hits first with black coffee, followed by black with sugar and then slight cream, then comes the toffee, slight hop, and rich mocha.

Superbly balanced, I honestly could swill this all damn night.
Methinks I shall.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled at the brewery.

A: Black, lots of tan head, nice lace.

S: Creme brulee or pancakes? Awesome!

T: Pleasant roastyness, slight tartness, maple syrup, candy-sugar/toffee, British fruityness, bittersweet finish.

M: Moderate to full body, chalky, light to moderate carbonation.

D: Enticing, but not very sessionable.

2.26/5  rDev -44.7%

Took that one at the Mondial 2006. A nice dark black body with a dark brown thin head who disappear quickly. It really smells like a cola soft drink with a hint of peppermint (strange...) and some roasted coffee. Flavor of sour berries, black tea and chocolate mint. I didn't really liked it... In fact, I think that one was infected but maybe that was the REAL taste of it !? For sure, I wont try it again for a while.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

I had this wonderful beer at the 2006 World Expo of Beer in Frankenmuth.

Color was very dark with a lighter tan head than many stouts. The head was negligible, but it was going into a thin 4oz tasting glass, so not much room for it anyhow.

It smelled of coffee and caramel.

It tasted incredible. First taste was of caramel and cream, with a coffee aftertaste. I am not a fan of coffee. Indeed I refuse to drink it. However, if coffee tasted half as good as this brew, I'd have it every morning.

Mouthfeel was somewhat thin, less than what I usually expect from a stout, especially one with such a strong taste.

It was a very drinkable beer. While I wouldn't want to do sessions of it, I'd have no problem having a pint or two in a sitting. Definitely a must try.

2.04/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to Warrior Soul for the bottle.

January 2005 printed on bottle.
Poured a dark cappuccino chocolate brown, with tan highlights. No head, even though I poured it rather rough. An oil film lace coated the top of the beer, then subsided to a few whisps around the edges. No more lacing to speak of.
Aroma - mild coffee aroma with some creaminess and caramel. Quite malty and sweet. Very nice nose.
First taste was a bit malty then pronounced sourness took over and never let go. Tasted of day old coffee left in the coffeepot with soured cream added. Had some sour cherry essence to the taste. Not sure if it was planned, but really didn't go with this beer. There was a bit of sweetness at the beginning, but once the sour coffee taste took over, that's all I could get out of the beer.
Thin mouthfeel, boadering on watery.
Drinkability, almost nonexistant. Had trouble finishing the 12 oz. bottle I split with Cooperrip.
The worst stout I've ever encountered. I'd like to try it fresh, since this bottle was a year old.

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The last growler from my holiday trip to MI. It's only about 2 1/2 weeks old. Originally, I had no intention of even waiting this long to drink it, having read in other reviews about the poor aging qualities of this brew. For quality comparison, I also had a pint and two samples of this at the brewery, so I know what it should taste like fresh. From my memory of those tastings, this should be a real treat.

Body is deep, dark, opaque midnight brown-black. 1 finger of dark brown head, leaving beautiful lacing as the pint is consumed. A very nice sight.

Nose is freshly ground coffee beans. Really good!

Flavor is coffee up front, more coffee in the middle, finishing with still more freshly ground coffee. Carries some chocolate along for the ride, too. It's really very intensely flavored, but somehow not at all overwhelming. Really a great brewing/blending achievement, in my book. (For reference, I am a major coffee hound, so I am unlikely to complain about strong/bitter coffee flavors that others may not like).

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy, without being either thick or chewy. I would prefer it to be thicker, but it's still very good.

Drinkability is very high for this style. Other strongly flavored stouts that I have had tend to overwhelm the palate, leaving little desire for more. This is as tasty and easy drinking as most of the Kuhnhenn's lineup, (with the notable exception of the Winter Wonder Lager, the first sip of that is amazing, but I had to force the end of the glass down).

Another great brew from Kuhnhenn's, I can't wait for my next trip to Michigan...

2.91/5  rDev -28.9%

12oz. bottle provided by Frozensoul327

Pours a jet black with a small mocha head that fades. No lacing to speak of.

The aroma is amazing! A sweet, rich coffee aroma with hints of caramel. Starbucks city!

Wow, the taste is nothing like the aroma. There is a slight sweetness upfront that is quickly washed away by a very bitter/astringent coffee flavor that lingers. Very disappointed after the fantastic aroma.

Rather thin body.

I could sit and smell this one all day, but it's all I can do to finish the bottle.

3.47/5  rDev -15.2%

This is a February 2005 bottle almost 10 months later and judging from the reviews it is way past its prime. Too bad because it looked great - dark with solid black coffee with sugar sweetness. The taste was like a beer cocktail combining a coffee stout with a sour lambic. Some may like this blend but sad to say that I had to dump it. It didn't make me gag but the taste and smell do not work together. Thanks to mjohn27603 for throwing this in a recent trade.

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I think this is the definitive review on this beer. My friend brought me some fresh from the brewery on a visit out east (Delaware) in August 2005. AMAZING! The coffee, chocolate, burnt caramel (creme brulee) flavors were there in the aroma as well as the taste, and the beer was awesome! I set 3 aside to see what age would do...the results were not good. The beer took on a vinous, sour taste after 2 months and by 4 months it was undrinkable (poured 2 bottles out, after sampling). Definitely, this beer is to be consumed as soon as posible and should not be put down for future consideration...unless you mean to put it down by shooting it...like Old Yell'r (sob....sob...). I can't speak to the rest of their beers durability cuz they didn't survive the weekend they arrived at my house. They brew very good beers, just don't wait to drink them.

3.99/5  rDev -2.4%

Much thanks to hopdog for sharing this bottle!
Appears a brownish black with a thick tan head that fades quickly. Spottly lacing is left all over the glass.
The smell is of caramel, cream, vanilla, and chocolate...heavenly
Taste was a dropoff comparing to the awesome aromas. Lacto sourness with some caramel cream coming through.
Mouthfeel is of sour and sweetness with a coffee bitterness punching around.
Drinkability...the aroma alone is worth cracking one open but don't get the taste buds overly excited.

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%

12oz bottle from nortentimber as part of BIF18. Thanks for the opportunity. Bottle dated February 2005, best before June, hope this one's better than the last.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" light brown head above the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head fades slowly to a continuous film of small bubbles, with nice lacing. Aroma is coffee, with a slight sour fruity tinge to it. Uh oh. Taste is actually reasonably well balanced between coffee and fruity (cherry?) tartness, sort a light lambic thing going on. Mouthfeel is average, maybe a bit above, with smoothness overcoming the sourness a bit, and drinkability is okay. Just have trouble believing this brew is supposed to be like this. And I would think a stout would last in good storage for longer than the prescribed 4 months. Oh well.

3.99/5  rDev -2.4%

Amusingly, after reading the previous post, I must also thank Frozensoul327 for this bottle. Erik, you're a busy man!

This one poured out a lovely, clear dark brown into my pint glass. No head to speak of, although I tried. I'm afraid I have to take away a little for that.

Aroma was of well-toasted bread, light roasted malts, and hints of coffee.
Interesting and layered.

The flavor was a HELL of a surprise! This is one really off-the-wall interpretation of an American stout. I got LOTS of chocolate right off the bat... and it wasn't bittersweet chocolate, or even semisweet. That was followed immediately by an intensely sour taste, then some coffee aftertaste. Overall, it was lighter than I expected. The sourness really threw me for a loop... but it was really really good, and very different.

Mouthfeel was a little thin for a stout, but OK.

This brew was VERY drinkable, however. I could go for a six-pack every now and again, were it available around here.

1.88/5  rDev -54%

Thanks to Frozensoul327 for letting me sample some Kuhnhenn stuff for the first time.

The Creme Brulee Java Stout looks and smells pretty typical for the style, thick and black, brown head, a day-old coffee grounds smell, but the taste is, literally, the worst I have ever encountered in a beer. There are undertones of flavors mirroring the smell, but the only thing you're going to notice is the sourness--it's like a goddamn warhead, only it never wears off. I could only manage a few sips. I really wanted to like this, but even if you took away the pucker, it'd only be an average coffee stout; with it, however, it is undrinkable.

2.3/5  rDev -43.8%

Appearance and Presentation – The only bottle of Kuhnhenn beer that I brought back from my trip through Michigan. 12 oz bottle with February 2005 on the label. Pours black with a thin coffee head and sinks to a thin covering. Good lacing.

Smell – Coffee, toffee, slightly roasted grains. Vanilla and sweetness are both there as well.

Taste – Very sour taste, I initially assumed that this was due to the age of my bottle, but it seems like this is a common descriptor of this beer, so I will review. The sourness is similar to sour milk, I find it very unpleasant. I wonder if there was some actual milk based ingredient to cause this flavor. Behind the sourness there is a bit of coffee and sweetness. No hop flavor or bitterness is present.

Mouthfeel – Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation.

Drinkability and Notes – An unexpectedly bad beer that I could not finish. Hopefully I will get another at some point so that I can see if this sourness is as prevalent in a fresh sample. While this was my only bottle of Kuhnhenn, I did visit the brewpub and enjoyed it thoroughly.

3.67/5  rDev -10.3%

Twelve ounce brown bottle - best buy date printed on label.

Deep dark impenetrable black. A rough pour produces an inch of dense tan coloured foam that quickly fades away.

Aromas of milk chocolate, french roast coffee, & vanilla.

Sweet, some bitterness comes through in the form of roast coffee, and then it goes sweet again. Plenty of milk chocolate and a bit of vanilla. Medium full bodied, very gentle carbonation. Too damn sweet.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Starts with a thin head that diminishes to some brown swirls of very fine bubbles. A decent ring around the edges that leaves fair lacing on the glass.
It's pretty damn dark in there... There are some hint of ruby but mostly it's a big, big, brown.
The smell is of espresso with some chocolate and vanilla in it. Strong coffee that dominates the flavor although there is some kind of whipped cream kind of taste too. There is definitely some souring although (strangely), I like that about it.
The body is surprisingly light considering it's richness in flavor and smell.
Fairly drinkable. There is so much coffee you could probably substitute this at a nice session with friends.

Kuhnhenn Crème Brûlée Java Stout from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company