Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,674
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: alexgash on 12-14-2006

This is our 4th Dementia Olde Ale that has been bourbon barrel aged. This ale has an intense sweet caramel malt flavor and aroma that develops into a toffee/toasted marsh mellow like character.
Reviews: 387 | Hads: 1,761

12 oz bottle served in a Surly Darkness Goblet; 2011 vintage

A: Dark brown with a small beige head; it looks dark red in front of light

S: Huge bourbon and barrel followed by rich caramel

T: Wow, big bourbon barrel presence followed by huge notes of chocolate/caramel/toffee with some slight toast and minimal heat/alcohol. It has a nice, sweet finish as well.

M: Full bodied with a good amount of creaminess

O: This is barrel aged perfection for old ales. Amazing flavor and aroma with a perfect amount of alcohol burn, which could be from the 18 months of cellaring. Regardless, if you love old ales and BA beers seek this out immediately.

Pours a deep deep brown with a very small tan head that doesn't stick around long.
Big smells of vanilla and bourbon with some oaky notes
Tastes almost the same as it smells with some alcohol heat
Mouthfeels is nice perfect cabonation for the style
Overall amazing sipping beer. Glad I picked up a few to hold onto and see how they change overtime.

Just picked this up 2 bottles of this last night, after passing them up a month or so ago for regular 4D.

Appearance: very dark, almost opaque with a little bit of brownish copper. Absolutely no head, poured into a goblet style glass.

Smell: Just fantastic. There's definitely a lot of the oak and bourbon on the nose. As it warms, the smell gets even sweeter, with more brown sugar and some serious alcohol heat. I could just smell this all day...

Taste: Very similar to the smell. Beautiful bourbon and dark fruits. As it warmed, more malty sweetness and alcohol came up front.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty thick and syrupy - but not quite as thick as an imperial stout. It helps give the beer a nice long finish.

Overall: I'm very happy I went back and picked up the bourbon Barrel version of this. The barrel aging kicks this beer into a whole other level. Seek this one out. I'm glad I bought 2!

A: Poured a cloudy dark brown with a thin cap that dissipates almost instantly, with no lacing. Really how an old ale should look like.

S: Geezus. Big bourbon soaked dark fruits and candy bars. I smell marshmellow as well. Amazing.

T: Initial blast of big bourbon drench raisins and figs. I get a big caramel candy sweetness from what tastes like a roasted marshmellow, big sugary sweetness, more bourbon and dark fruits with some chocolate. A wee hint of oak and vanilla in the background. The finish is very big, bold, sweet boozey and sticky

M: Big feel with low carbonation . Sticky sweet with a dumptruck of flavors and textures.

O: How have I not had this? This beer was awesome.I can't recall another Old Ale which gave me such a "wow" factor.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

2011 Vintage. Bottles received from both MasterSki and korguy123. Thanks! Looking forward to aging the second bottle. Poured in to Founders tulip.

A - Murky dark brown with a very thin layer of light brown head that quickly receded to a ring around the glass.

S - The bourbon is the dominant up front without being overpowering. Oak and a light vanilla aroma also come through from the barrel. The base beer adds sweet toffee and dark caramel aromas and lighter notes of dark fruit, raisins and figs.

T - Bourbon, oak and vanilla up front that are in the perfect proportion with the base beer flavours. Toffee, dark caramel, molasses, raisins, dark fruit, figs. A nice sweet vanilla and bourbon finish. The sweetness of the base beer is perfectly complimented by a slightly warming ABV. Remarkable.

M - Full body. Viscous. light carbonation. An excellent mouth feel.

O - One of the best beers I have ever had.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

A big, huge thanks goes out to Jay for hooking me p with this one. I had been on a mission to track down this as well as the Barley wine for quite some time, and it was just utterly fantastic to be able to try them both in the same week. Served at cellar temperature and poured into an over sized wine glass. This one was consumed on 08/07/2008.

The appearance was ominous. A deep, dark brown. color emerged almost immediately. Entirely opaque, except for a few hints of light on the sides and bottom that showed off a bit of a reddish hue. The head was small, maybe an inch at first and then settling down to about a quarter of an inch, but it did have a tremendous amount of coating effect on the sides of the glass.

The aroma was just spectacular. Lovely hints of vanilla and bourbon, swirling around with caramel, roasted malts and a deep, sweet profile. Enormously complex, it was hard to put the entire thing into context, decadent is a good word. This followed along the flavor as well. Lots of lightly blended bourbon flavors, nothing over the top or really heavy, this was wonderfully accented, and essentially perfection. Started with a rolling touch of caramel, and sugary roasted malts that were accented by touches of vanilla and oak. Hints of some earthy, touches rolled into it as well. Long lasting flavor of bourbon, with a touch of peppery spice on the finish. Luscious Mouthfeel was really just the icing as it came off full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. A smooth sipper, this was easily the nightcap on the evening and needed to be enjoyed over the long haul which It was.

Overall this was fantastic. My first two BA beers from them have both been two of the best I haev ever had. They really know what they are doing with this one. To be honest I have to score this high, as I really have had maybe one or two beers that I truly liked better then this in the style at all. Damn near perfection and something I would only wish I could get again. Hopefully I can trade for another bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz bottle purchased at the brewery dec 27/2006 and cellared since then compared beside a fresh growler of regular 4th dementia. bottle says it was brewed 2-16-05 and best before 2011.

pours a crystal clear deep red-brown with nice ruby highlights when held to the light. a very scant incredibly fine tan head forms and disappears almost instantly. no lace.

aroma is excellent. lots of vanilla and oak. toffee and caramel. notes of brandy and maybe a little sherry. raisin. chocolate. light alcohol. bit of almond. bread and biscuit malt.

taste is amazing. much smoother and mellower than the regular 4th dementia, and meshed together nicely. light alcohol. dark fruit - raisin and date. light toffee. caramel. dark chocolate. almond and hazelnut. hint of coffee. vanilla and more vanilla. touch of raw oak. much of the bourbon seems to have mellowed since my last sampling when freshly bottled. doesn't have as much lingering sweetness as the regular 4th dementia. bread and biscuit malt. so many layers. just incredible stuff.

mouthfeel is fantastic. super smooth well integrated low carbonation level. medium-big body is great.

drinkability is excellent. the 7 or so months since i purchased this bottle has given it time to mellow out and removed all the 'hot' alcohol i noticed when fresh. perfect balanced, with a more mellowed warmth than the regular 4th dementia. i thought the drinkability on that one was excellent, but this brings it to a new level. fantastic stuff.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

I figure I should probably get around to reviewing my top 5 beers and I'm starting at number one.

Pours a little muddy with no head. Appearance is the only thing I can ding this beer on. My normal description is that its an ugly beer, but 3/4 of the way through a glass I have to say its not as bad looking as it was on pour. Its dark, but held to the light you're rewarded with cloudy copper and what was at first a bit ugly really shines. Can't give it more than a 4.5 for looks, though. And that may be generous, but to me appearance is the least important characteristic for a beer.

Aroma is caramel, dark dry fruit, bourbon and malt without unwanted butter. Too much butter has been killing a lot of beers for me and this does not offend.

Taste... As long as its not too cold it is a miracle. Caramel, chocolate, malt, spice, oak, vanilla, bourbon - all in mad harmony. I'd have guessed it a happy accident if they didn't deliver on multiple vintages. It is a warm happy place and is my go-to when I just want to go to my true happy. A glass of this and the company of my rabbit and I can put anything behind me.

Mouthfeel is warm, but not hot. Slick and barely carbonated, but it doesn't feel like it needs any more than it has. And I really don't get the burn I expect from something this big. It feels "right" and I can't say better than that.

Overall my number one beer I've ever tasted. In the three years I've been really drinking beer I've tried a LOT of great beers and only one true challenger comes to mind (and it was a draft only miracle via Urbain - capiche?). This is a style I love done right, bourbon-aged, and it hits damn near full marks. It is my miracle beer and I love it more than these words can convey.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Another incredible beer from Kuhnhenn. Thanks Steve! Pours a rich mahogany with a tan head. Nose has oak, bourbon, vanilla, candy malts, fruits and sherry. Equally complex flavor proile. Thick creamy body with a light carbonation. Fantastic stuff, should age well.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

On-tap at Kuhnhenn 1/8/12, from notes. 10 oz. pour into Kuhnhenn Belgian tulip.

A: Brown and murky with no head whatsoever. Maybe a slight reddish hue. Not a whole lot of light is getting through here; it just looks like it's going to be thick.

S: A whole lot of bourbon and caramel. Maybe a touch of vanilla and some cherry, but the bourbon and caramel dominate the entire nose. The smell is intoxicating and inviting.

T: Whoa. No false pretenses from the smell. This is bourbon, caramel, and heavy malts toying with each other in my mouth. The huge malt backbone of the standard 4D holds up incredibly well to the bourbon. The way the flavors blend in this beer is nothing short of wonderful.

M: The bourbon and caramel coat my entire mouth, and the flavor lingers. This thing is thick, heavy, sticky, and warming. I can tell this is a 13.5% abv beer, but it does not deter me at all. It's amazing to me how smooth this goes down.

O: To me, this is exactly what you want from a barleywine or an olde ale. I deduct points for lack of head, but come on, who am I kidding? Beers just do not get much better than this. Very lucky to be able to obtain this gem fairly easily.

Every time I have this beer, it never disappoints.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Review from notes: Last tasted in the Autumn of 2009 in San Francisco.

A: Dark ruby copper brown with just a bit of tan head.

S: This almost singes your nose hairs! Fresh bourbon, oak, and vanilla in a big way.

T: Bitingly intense multilayered maltiness smoothed out by oak, vanilla, spice, and biscuit. A winner.

M: Thick, coating, hot, but nice.

O: A champion of the style. A phenomenal barleywine that truly benefits from its time in the barrel

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

I didnt want to be the first one to say where I had this on tap. Shit, I still wont say. Its a respect thing. But lets just say it wasnt necessarily supposed to be where it was. But when it was announced that this was on tap there was a collective "Oooohhhh!" heard across the room. Having recently enjoyed a bottle of this stuff, I was probably the loudest of the "oohs" as I grabbed Chris and drug him over to where it was being served.

Served on tap, from a sixtel, into a snifter. Probably about a 10oz pour for $7. Quite the steal if you ask me. Ive drank much less enjoyable beers for more money at Bodega.

A- Its not much different looking on tap than it was when I had my bottle. Perhaps there was a little more lacing from the tap version and a little more clarity as well. Its a dark, fairly cloudy chestnut, earthy red/brown.

S- After I was done nursing my snifter pour and Chris and I had moved on, my brother approached and said "The smell of this is YEAH!" I wasnt sure what beer he had, but I guessed that it was the Kuhnhenn. I was correct. We both shared a short freakout over how delicious the smell of this beer was. There really isnt much out there that smells this smoothed out, silky, lovely and huge, robust and powerful at the same time. Cherry, toffee, caramel, Alcohol and chocolate chip cookies are flawlessly executed. I think Im going to BM the Bros and see if they cant raise my 5 to a 500 here.

T- Im left shaking my head in disbelief. Its a true wonder how a beer this strong can be so smooth, having all of its flavors so artfully interwoven. Its pretty close to the aroma. Lots of chocolate chip cookies, toffee, nougat, vanilla and rum-raisin. Its so soft yet huge at the same time.

M- Very smooth with an unreal creaminess. The alcohol burn is really all you get from the 14% abv. It hardly affects the flavors. Personally, I think the alcohol heat is perfect for this beer.

D- Ive had this twice in a month. Sadly I think thats probably going to be the last time I have it. No, Ill totally be driving the 4 hours to Warren to snag this again. Simply the best beer I've ever had.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Another brew I got to try at the Ginger Man. Didn't state that it was the BB version on the draft list, but as I was ordering the server mentioned that it was in fast the BB version and I couldn't believe my ears! Having split a single bottle of this beer before with 2 friends and remembering how amazing it was, I was ready to have an awesome experience.

Served in a 12oz snifter, the deep brown off this beer lured me in instantly. The only thing I wish was different would be that the head had more character and stuck around for a little longer.

I could smell this beer forever. Vanilla, caramel, a little orange zest and a spicy note to finish. I'm just going to stop here, this is all you need to know about this beer.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

A - This beer pours a really dark brown color, and it has some ruby highlights as well. A quite vigorous pour yielded nothing more than a small ring of foam around the edge of the glass. No lace was left behind.

S - The nose on this is just amazing. There are huge aromas of bourbon, caramel, a slew of dark fruits, dark malt, toffee, booze, dark sugar, and vanilla. The nose just blows me away, I can't wait to taste.

T - The taste is awesome on this. It is really complex and you taste different flavors with each sip, and they all meld really well together. There are some really nice flavors of bourbon, vanilla, caramel, dark malt, and dark fruits. Also, there is some chocolate, toffee, oak, and some booze. The alcohol flavor is hidden amazingly well for it being 13.5%.

M - This has a medium body and lower carbonation. It goes down super smooth, and it has a little bit of a chewy quality to it. This is probably one of the smoothest beers I have ever come across. There is a touch of alcohol warmth here, but much less than I expected. It's just so creamy and smooth.

O - This has amazing drinkability. It goes down super easy, and the flavor is amazing. Overall, this is just an awesome beer. It is very complex and delicate. All the flavors go together really well, and make for an awesome beer drinking experience. The best Old Ale I've had so far. A must try.

4.96/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottle received in a trade from spartan213. '12 vintage.

Pours a fairly dark brown, basically opaque, with a small quarter inch head, and basically no lacing.

Smells just incredible, I can't even describe most of it. Dark fruits, caramel, toasted marshallow, toffee, and bourbon.

One of the most interesting beers I've ever had- like I said before, I can't really even describe most of these flavors. Caramel, raisins, figs, toasted marshmallow, oak, vanilla, cola, sarsaparilla, walnuts, bourbon. The aftertaste is this incredible blast of caramel and bourbon- almost like bourbon-soaked Werther's candy or something. This is just so unique and awesome.

This is fairly thick bodied, with a sweet and mucho syrupy mouthfeel, and a very low amount of carbonation. Although I really want to slowly sip this, it's really hard to not just gulp it down, it's so drinkable.

This might be the best beer I've ever had. While drinking it, I honestly had no idea what was going on.

4.96/5  rDev +10.2%

first and foremost. Thank you matttYCE for this one! seriously appreciate it man

2011 vintage poured into Bruery Snifter

A: very dark maple brown in color, created a thin film that was tan in color. absolutely no transparency even when held directly up to the light

S: the aroma is just massive and it was immediately notice during the pour. this is simply off the charts. just absolutely massive amounts of alcohol soaked dark fruits (raisins and figs), huge vanilla, oak chips, bourbon. immense sweet caramel.

T: unbelievable balance. again, just a ridiculous amount of vanilla and caramel sweetness, alcohol soaked dark fruits, bourbon and oak.

M: oh my God. this has to be one of the thickest beers I have even had. this could pass off as syrup. It coats the mouth with a terrific sugary sweetness and just sticks to the palate and the vanilla lingers.

O: absolute 5's (expect in appearance) for me. and I am now in forever ISO of this brew. I was blown away by its viscosity, and for it being 13.5%, I do not detect any alcohol heat whatsoever. Seriously, I cannot thank you enough Matt!

4.95/5  rDev +10%

Pours fairly brown, but dark red when held to light, with a strong white head that retains very well and leaves retention. Surprising given the percent. Smell jumps out at you, moreso than some DIPA's even. The smell is of bourbon, brown sugar, cherry, molasses, vanilla, oak and maybe even some dates; remarkable. Taste is hard for me to keep track of, it just has so many flavors blended together so well. Seems like some of the bourbon beers I have had have too much bourbon, this is not the case with this one. Full bodied, with slightly higher than medium carbonation; a little less and this one's perfect. A damn near perfect sipper, I'd drink plenty of this if it was available. Well worth the very long trip to Michigan for it. Highly recommended.

4.95/5  rDev +10%

Found on the shel mixed among standard 4D. Poured into my newly bought Founder's snifter.

A: Deep toffee brown. Slight head that quickly dissapates.

S: Lot's going on here. Toffee, raisins, among other things I cannot pinpoint. The alcoho is there as well.

T: Just like the smell, this beer has many layers. I typically do not like old ales. This one is exceptional.

M: Much thicker than your run of the mill craft brew, but not quite syrupy. Exactly how I would want it.

O: One of my favorites beers that is not a Stout. Well done. I am glad I live so close to Warren and can find this on the shelf at beer stores from time to time.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a thick syrupy caramel into a tulip glass with very little head.

Smell - wow what a great smelling brew. vanilla, Bourbon, cinnamon, nutmeg, roasted malt and alcohol.

Taste - follows the nose really well. Tons of sweetness with the vanilla, bourbon, and holiday spices. The alcohol is present but nowhere near the 13% this bottle claims. Amazing brew well worth the wait.

Mouthfeel - super smooth and very easy to drink. The carbonation is very tame and almost not present. As it warms the alcohol stands out a little more but still remains very smooth.

Overall - the only beer better than this is KBS. I love them both equally.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Snifter.

A - Deep, dark mahogany with slight reddish tints and a very thin khaki-colored head that dissipates quickly.
S - The nose on this is absolutely insane! Huge aromas of caramel, toffee, vanilla, coffee, and bourbon. Incredibly complex and decadent!
T - Oh my goodness. Yeah, this is insane, huge flavors of dark malt, caramel, toffee, vanilla, bourbon, and chocolate (and even more, I can't even describe everything I'm tasting!). The Bourbon is so perfectly integrated with the base beer. Decadent is again the best word to use here, I keep thinking of some sort of Bourbon-soaked dark chocolate cake or something.
M - Smooth, silky, and slightly sticky. Full mouth-feel, lowish carbonation. Just a perfect, late-night slow sipper.
O - I'm in love, what can I say? I need to track down more of this asap!

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

served on tap at Kuhnhenn in a tulip:

This is from the 2012 Winter Solstice release, still on-tap in February:

A - a beautiful dark toffee muddy brown color. There was minimal head and what head there was disappeared to a small ring around the top of the glass, with the small head there was a small amount of lacing, the lacing had great legs.

S - Man this smells great, toffee and marshamallow followed by the booziness of the Bourbon. There is a sense of some fig and raisin with the backbone of the malt present as well.

T - The taste is different from anything I have had before, the bourbon and toffee along with the marshmallow were dominant and just like the aroma there was just a hint of some fruit mostly figs and raisins but something else along with it I just couldnt place.

M - very smooth with minimal carbonation, nice full body.

O - wow, this is an outstanding beer. Was very dissapointed they didn't have any for sale in bottle even though the menu indicated they had some. would gladly pay $8.00 per bottle for a few of these. This is rapidly going to be something I search for and has moved into the upper tier of beers that I have enjoyed.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Pours a dark, caramel brown with some light coming through. There is barely any head, a small tan ring is all that is produced.

S - The aroma is perfect. It's a perfect blend of bourbon, vanilla, caramel, and malt sweetness. The bourbon character isn't at all overpowering. The base beer marries perfectly with the bourbon.

M - Full in body and very lightly carbonated. It's perfect for this style, any more carbonation would distract from the beer. Slightly syrupy, but nothing unexpected for the style.

T - Sweet caramel flavors come first along with some brown sugar. Vanilla notes and a mellow bourbon character with some alcohol heat follow. More caramel shows up in the finish.

Wow, this beer went from "meh I'd maybe like to try it", to "Yes, get some more" upon the first sip. This beer has a lot of depth and has several phases of flavors. Well worth seeking out.

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

This drinks very closely to an English Barleywine to me. Dark fruits, caramel, and hints of bourbon. Maybe even a little vanilla. The barrel highlights this beer. The 13.5% does not diminish any of the flavor. Top notch beer. As good as any BB barleywine/old ale I've had.

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

2012 Vintage:
Pours a rich, viscous amber, syrupy in color/appearance. Thin tan head forms with a vigorous pour but dissipates immediately leaving just a trace of a collar. English toffee, burnt sugar, toasted marshmallow, vanilla, oak, and coconut all peak through in the aroma with just the slightest hint of booze. All of these sweet, luscious smells come out in full force in the taste. Incredible depth and richness of flavors; the barrels are prominent but not dominating, instead balancing and complimenting the massive caramel sweetness/toast/oakey vanilla tannins/leather. Once the sweetness begins to drop, you're hit with huge sweet cherries/dates/dark fruit and a lingering hint of booze. Sticky lacing is left clinging to the glass. Mouth feel is full-bodied, sweet, syrupy, but the carbonation level is perfect to move this sweet malt bomb around the palate. Overall, it easily ranks as one of my absolute favorite Old Ales, it's simply fantastic and dangerously quaffable.

4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

2010 - 12 Oz. Bottle

A - Dark Brown with half finger tan head. Dark and merky looking

S - Wow, this is possibly one of the craziest smells I've ever experienced. Huge caramel, oak and toffee notes. Brown sugar, dark fruits, cherry and maybe some fig. Can barely smell the alcohol.

T - Very complex and similar to the nose. One of the sweeter beers I've had. Love the huge caramel taste.

M - Medium body with very minimal carbonation. Get a little bit more of the alcohol as it warms up. Very syrupy.

O - This is an amazing beer. Definitely top 10 for me. I've never really had a beer like this.

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company