Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth DementiaKuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia

Wants: 1,448
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

This is our 4th Dementia Olde Ale that has been bourbon barrel aged. This ale has an intense sweet caramel malt flavor and aroma that develops into a toffee/toasted marsh mellow like character.

(Beer added by: alexgash on 12-14-2006)
Zaphog

01-21-2012 01:03:45 | More by mrbubbler
minterro

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

I’ve been really looking forward to this beer for some time, and for some reason after classes today I decided that today was the day. I’ve heard mix reviews anywhere from “I had to pour it out” to “one of the best beers I’ve had”. This is one of the beers I’ve seen the rating for before trying, so I’ll try and not bias my rating.

First Old Ale rating.

Bottle from Kuhnhenn’s solstices bottling party.

A & S: Immediately after cracking the cap it came off super boozy. After a few seconds some of the scents I expected came through: toffee and lots of sweetness. Some lesser scents include raisins and bourbon. Dark (dead and dense looking) brown colored beer. Not much head (light tan) colored even when poured vigorously. The head dies very quickly to nothing but a ring and some interesting whisks in the center. The head never really goes away, a creamy looking ring is around at all times. Some specks of lacying cling to the sides.

T & M: The taste is extremely complex and rich. The overwhelming tones of the beer are a battle between sweetness and alcohol. There are a lot of different dark fruits I’m tasting in the one including: raisins, plums, and cherries. Caramel is a huge component of the beer. Other lesser tones I’m tasting include: a bit of smokiness, vanilla, bourbon, brown sugar. It’s pretty boozy but, I feel like it pulls it off well, like a good barleywine would. Not as warming as you would think for a beer that is 13.5%. Very, very smooth and creamy probably the smoothest beer I’ve ever had, if not its in the top 5. That smoothness is complemented nicely with a bite of carbonation. On the chewy side for being medium in body.

O: I think this beer is great for the style I just prefer. I wouldn’t want more then one or two at a time, it very, very rich and intense. I think I would need to branch out more on my Old Ale before I could give this one a more honest rating. It really might be one of the best beers, but its just not one I feel I can fully appreciate yet.

01-20-2012 16:00:41 | More by minterro
Retail1LO

3.68/5  rDev -19.5%

My second Kuhnhenn's beer in two nights. What a treat. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Jester King snifter.

Pours a dark, muddy brown with ZERO head. It appears as though there's little to no carbonation in this one. Not sure if that's the norm or not. The nose is a straight up bourbon bomb, mixed with some vanilla and cocoa. The taste also proves to be absolutely laden with bourbon. This is 13.5%, and I feel like I can taste every last tenth of a percent of the alcohol. The taste otherwise mirrors the nose. The mouthfeel on this is pretty hot. Again, very booze forward. There's a mild dark fruit overtone on the finish, but it's tough to distinguish through the pervading alcohol. Overall, I'm glad I got to try this, and although it is tasty and I would certainly not bat an eye at the opportunity to have it again, I don't think it's one I'll seek out going forward.

01-20-2012 03:08:59 | More by Retail1LO

4.4/5  rDev -3.7%

From 12oz bottle to snifter on 1/6/12
*From notes

-- Thanks to ajsdad06 for the swap --

A: Not a bit of head on a hard pour. Caramel brown in hue.

S: Extremely sweet and concentrated late harvest vine fruit. I've never in my life encountered a bouquet like it. The concentration can't be underplayed. The more I get my nose in there, the more of the rich barrel characterisitcs I get. It almost smells like a Mounds bar.

T: Again, this is like drinking straight concentrate. Malt, plums, bourbon, vanilla and toasted coconut meld together to create what is one jaw droppingly unique flavor profile. And it goes on and on and on and on....

M: No complaints here. The barrel has really impacted the brew, as it's extremely smooth and silky, almost cask-like.

O: Like the finest of California's cult cabs, the concentration of Kuhnhenn's BB 4D is absolutely astounding. It may be a bit off-putting for some, as I can see this being an aquired taste. But for the barrel aged veterans, this is a thing of beauty, unquestionably one of a kind and simply delicious.

01-15-2012 20:56:37 | More by Rhettroactive
mikereaser

4.28/5  rDev -6.3%

A - pours a murky chestnut brown with an inch of tan foam that slowly formed and stuck around just as long.

S - The aroma is a nice plum aroma, not overly strong, along with some sugary sweetness. I'm picking up some oak and bourbon as well but nothing too strong.

T - very nice flavor. i'm picking up alot of chocolate mixed with the dark fruit, vanilla, and some more oak. There is some bourbony sweetness in the middle and the heat only picks up in the finish along with a nice spiciness.

M/D - Milky and creamy mouthfeel, nice slightly prickly carbonation but not overly lively. The heat doesn't hold you back and you I just want to keep drinking more.

I'm thinking maybe a barleywine or an olde ale.
I've definitely not had this one before. I'm horrible at taking a guess so i'll just rip it open to find

Kuhnhenn BB4D 2011

Nice hit on my want list! I'm really impressed with this beer and so glad I had a chance to finally try it. Thanks to Abraxel for another knockout.

01-15-2012 05:16:14 | More by mikereaser
bigjohn

01-14-2012 16:54:11 | More by bigjohn
therobot

01-14-2012 16:24:19 | More by therobot
normyk

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

I figure I should probably get around to reviewing my top 5 beers and I'm starting at number one.

Pours a little muddy with no head. Appearance is the only thing I can ding this beer on. My normal description is that its an ugly beer, but 3/4 of the way through a glass I have to say its not as bad looking as it was on pour. Its dark, but held to the light you're rewarded with cloudy copper and what was at first a bit ugly really shines. Can't give it more than a 4.5 for looks, though. And that may be generous, but to me appearance is the least important characteristic for a beer.

Aroma is caramel, dark dry fruit, bourbon and malt without unwanted butter. Too much butter has been killing a lot of beers for me and this does not offend.

Taste... As long as its not too cold it is a miracle. Caramel, chocolate, malt, spice, oak, vanilla, bourbon - all in mad harmony. I'd have guessed it a happy accident if they didn't deliver on multiple vintages. It is a warm happy place and is my go-to when I just want to go to my true happy. A glass of this and the company of my rabbit and I can put anything behind me.

Mouthfeel is warm, but not hot. Slick and barely carbonated, but it doesn't feel like it needs any more than it has. And I really don't get the burn I expect from something this big. It feels "right" and I can't say better than that.

Overall my number one beer I've ever tasted. In the three years I've been really drinking beer I've tried a LOT of great beers and only one true challenger comes to mind (and it was a draft only miracle via Urbain - capiche?). This is a style I love done right, bourbon-aged, and it hits damn near full marks. It is my miracle beer and I love it more than these words can convey.

01-14-2012 02:14:37 | More by normyk
hippityhophead24

Tennessee

01-13-2012 05:40:34 | More by hippityhophead24
peensteen

Ontario (Canada)

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle from MasterSki, thanks a ton for this one.

2010 bottle.

Murky brown colour, no lace, barely noticeable white ring along the edge of the glass. Smell is of caramel, brown, sugar, fudge scents, raisin, dark fruit, some alcohol soaked dark bread, toffee, oak, mild vanilla and some whiskey notes. Taste is malty with brown sugar, vanilla and toffee, caramel, oak, light bourbon and fruit flavours, mildly sweet, a touch of warming alcohol, incredibly complex. Light carbonation, full body, full weight, rich overall feel is lightly syrupy and coats the mouth well. Outstanding stuff, incredibly complex and flavourful, will seek more of this out for sure.

01-12-2012 23:47:10 | More by peensteen

01-11-2012 21:48:21 | More by domtronzero
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle shared by Pino, thanks to Alex (MasterSki) for providing the bottle a while back via trade (I believe). 2010 vintage, 355ml into a tulip.

Poured almost flat, save a couple bubbles atop. An unclear, if not muddy brown body with significant legs. Nose has lots of chocolate fudge, caramel, some bourbon - not prominent, but well integrated. Some dried dark fruits as well. Outstanding flavour, a bit of alcohol/bourbon at the front, with more fudge goodness, dried fruits, sweet malts and general barleywine-like character. Maybe some bourbon soaked dark fruits dipped in fudge would be the easiest way to put this? So much complexity in spite of these descriptors, just great. Thick and full mouthfeel, low carbonation and most certainly something to ponder over. Not a ton of alcohol in the finish. I'd certainly pursue this again, just fantastic. Thanks a ton Pino and Alex.

01-11-2012 16:34:01 | More by liamt07
Khazadum

4.2/5  rDev -8.1%

A- A low head developed, but what did come out was super creamy. Laces full and delightful with good retention. Deep dark body, a viscous appearance at times. What is that, maple syrup and soy sauce coloration? Interesting, interesting. Excites me.

S- WHOOOO diggity dog damn YES! That maple and bourbon barrel character are undeniable. This smells like... like something familiar. Oak and wooden back end, sweet caramels and molasses up front, some dark fruit and volatile chemical heat. Egg nog and custard... almost a... creme brulee note. The timing of the intake of breath allows different phases to be experienced. Initially it was a very sweet aroma.. vanilla and bourbon heat. As it warmed you got more caramel and molasses with the bourbon heat. Less sweet vanilla, more savory earthy sweetness. Its reminding me of a Hair of the Dog bourbon barrel barley wine. Adam? No... I wonder...

T- Nom, nom, nom! First impressions are the barrel characteristics, the bourbon sweetness, the heat of a high alcohol beer. A spicy burn right on the center of your tongue letting you know to be careful! I'm no slutty girl to be slurped down, but savored and gently sucked.

After this opening slap you detect the vanilla and oak of barrel, it lingers, it delights, but it vanishes and you have caramels, maple syrup, and dry ethanol nature.

M- Full body, slightly creamy, mildly astringent, definitely hot. Sticky flavors, a residue forming on the cracks and crevices of my lips. Low carbonation benefits it well, I'd say perfect carbonation.

It tastes not as amazing as it smells. Don't get me wrong, its good bordering great in flavor... but that nose is where its at.

01-11-2012 00:42:42 | More by Khazadum
SpillyBeers

01-10-2012 23:00:37 | More by SpillyBeers
Brez07

Maine

4.3/5  rDev -5.9%

Reviewed for the Blind Beer BIF #6. 12oz botttle poured into a snifter. 2010 vintage

A: Dark brown pour with some ruby highlights. No head or lacing, overall pretty "still" looking (3.5)

S: Mmm, this smells like a barleywine. Maybe an old ale. Anyways, love the nose. Dark fruit (fig, cherry) meet notes of caramel, bread and maybe oak. Possibly barrel aged? (4.5)

T: Caramel malt base with multiple layers. The dark fruit provides a bit of spice and melts into chocolate, vanilla and oak. The remnant of hops provide a contrasting bitterness to a mostly sweet beer. The hint of spice is mostly in the finish along with a small amount of boozy heat (4.5)

M: Medium bodied. Virtually no carbonation, very smooth. Lingering sweetness left in the tongue (4)

D: Really liking this beer. Guessing it's up there in ABV but doesn't really drink that way. Would revisit. Only complaint is it starts to become cloying towards the end (4)

01-09-2012 23:58:10 | More by Brez07
travMI13

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

On-tap at Kuhnhenn 1/8/12, from notes. 10 oz. pour into Kuhnhenn Belgian tulip.

A: Brown and murky with no head whatsoever. Maybe a slight reddish hue. Not a whole lot of light is getting through here; it just looks like it's going to be thick.

S: A whole lot of bourbon and caramel. Maybe a touch of vanilla and some cherry, but the bourbon and caramel dominate the entire nose. The smell is intoxicating and inviting.

T: Whoa. No false pretenses from the smell. This is bourbon, caramel, and heavy malts toying with each other in my mouth. The huge malt backbone of the standard 4D holds up incredibly well to the bourbon. The way the flavors blend in this beer is nothing short of wonderful.

M: The bourbon and caramel coat my entire mouth, and the flavor lingers. This thing is thick, heavy, sticky, and warming. I can tell this is a 13.5% abv beer, but it does not deter me at all. It's amazing to me how smooth this goes down.

O: To me, this is exactly what you want from a barleywine or an olde ale. I deduct points for lack of head, but come on, who am I kidding? Beers just do not get much better than this. Very lucky to be able to obtain this gem fairly easily.

Every time I have this beer, it never disappoints.

01-09-2012 03:52:24 | More by travMI13
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks DaftCaskBC for sharing this beauty.

Appearance. Pours a cloudy, lighter brown with almost no head.

Smell. Caramel, brown sugar and bourbon with some wood and chocolate.

Taste. Sweet brown sugar and molasses with some boozy bourbon and oak.

Mouthfeel. Full body with low carbonation. Warm, but not in an unpleasant way.

Overall. Awesome. Really easy drinking for the abv.

01-09-2012 03:01:39 | More by Rutager
BeRanger

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

10oz pour into a Snifter at the Brewery.

A - Dark, almost like a burgundy color, slight rim of head that wasnt significant.

S - Wonderful aroma - smells of bourbon, caramel, molasses, earthy hops.

T - Very sweet up-front from the caramel. It finishes a little hot but nothing you wouldnt expect from a 13.5% beer. The flavors melded together fantastically.

M - Medium body with little to no carbonation. It is stronger so it took a good 30-45 minutes to sip through this one which was nice.

O - Absolutely wonderful old ale, the smell and taste were outstanding. I'd love to have a bottle of this to age for a year to get a little of the bourbon to subside.

01-08-2012 22:58:28 | More by BeRanger
DaftCaskBC

British Columbia (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to cosmicevan for this one.

A: Minimal head over cloudy brown liquid.

S: Chocolate, toffee, bourbon and some yeast. Beautiful.

T: Toffee, chocolate, bourbon, oak, yeast and a fair amount of alcohol.

M: Medium to thin viscosity with a low level of carbonation.

O: If it was less boozy it would be superb, however, this is still an excellent beer.

01-08-2012 21:58:34 | More by DaftCaskBC