Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,564
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: alexgash on 12-14-2006

This is our 4th Dementia Olde Ale that has been bourbon barrel aged. This ale has an intense sweet caramel malt flavor and aroma that develops into a toffee/toasted marsh mellow like character.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,640 | Reviews: 375

3.77/5  rDev -17.3%

Urbancaver picked this one up for me at the Winter Solstice, thanks Cam.

The beer pours a MUCH darker than expected color. A very dark brown with a few bubbles. The aroma is loaded with bourbon and dark malts. Not overly sweet in the nose. Bourbon dominates the nose. The flavor is also very bourbon forward but the malts do their best to keep the balance. Alcohol heat is present as is a prune characteristic. Some dark fruits, sugar, vanilla, grain bitterness, and a creme brulee flavor that lasts and lasts. Sweet, sticky, boozy.

The mouthfeel wasn't anything to write home about. Slick and medium bodied. I would have like a little more creaminess or fullness. A touch more carbonation would have been welcomed.

Overall a good, not great beer. I was really looking forward to this one and left a little disappointed. I'd drink it again happily.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into tulip glass.

Pours a dark brown color that reminds me of a walnut finish on furniture. Initial pour resulted in bubbles cascading upwards to a two finger head. This subsided quickly to about half a finger, that is an off white. Appears to have fairly low carbonation. Some lacing remains.

Nose is great. Has all the barrel character while maintaining its old ale qualities. Bourbon, oak, and vanilla up front quickly followed rich, sweet malt and some dark fruit qualities.

Before I review its characteristics, I have to say this is probably one of the most well integrated bourbon barrel aged beers I've had. By that I mean that the bourbon qualities integrate with the rest of the beer really well. So many bourbon beers are all bourbon and completely block out other characteristics of the beer. This beer matches the nose really well as well. Right up front is sweetness from both the bourbon and the malt in the beer. Next I get a little bit of toffee and caramel. It finishes with a touch of dark fruits and oddly enough just what the label says, toasted marshmallow. Warming alcohol and bourbon. Delicious.

Fuller body and low carbonation makes for a perfect complement to the rest of the beer. A great sipper.

Overall an excellent beer. In my top 5 for sure. Everything in the beer just complements the other parts equally as good. Not being a huge fan of bourbon beers, this one blew me away. I really hope I can get my hands on some more in the future.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
thanks to abanton for the chance to try this gem.

pours a murky mahogany / chestnut tone while yielding virtually no head even with a somewhat aggressive pour - not surprising in the least. obvioulsy no lacing, either.

bold, malt-forward nose is rife with with bourbon, caramel / toffee, brown sugar, dark fruits, and a little vanilla. mouth-watering.

as enticing as the aroma is, i think the flavor is even better. just tones of the aforementioned characters with a few others i didn't get in the nose. some molasses, oak, and a hint of chocolate. chewy, full-bodied mouthfeel with slightly below average carbonation.

overall, enjoying the hell out of this one; so rich and flavorful but doesn't stray into the cloying sweet. great bourbon presence. phenomenal beer.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

huge thanks to dblab33 for my first kuhnhenn brew , thanks dan!

ive heard a lot about this guy, time to see what its all about. its going to be tough as ive got adam available, one of my fav brews.

bottle says its been aged for nine montha in the barrel and i believe another nine months have passed since its been bottled.

12oz into a tulip glass

a- looks damn good so far, thin half inch brown head over a really dark ruby red hue ale. this is exatly how i like my old ales to look, alot bigger head than i was expecting knowing this was barrel aged.

s- noticed the nose on this one right when i opened it, awesome! dark juicy fruits are immediate, lots of sweet toffee and brown sugar. great mix with the barrel, i need to try regular 4d

t- nice, follows the nose closely. dark fruit is fantastic (plum and cherry) and up front followed by vanilla, and bourbon. nearly zero alc heat, this one is delicious. really enjoy that dark cherry flavor that lingers

m- heavy on the palate exactly as old ales should be. carbonation is high for something aged so long, very impressive.

o- now i know what the commotion is about! thank god ive got a second bottle haha. this guy really wins points being cheaper and more avaible than adam from the wood and it blows north coast ba old stock outta the water with value. the high quality is very present in this guy. like adam i think this one will age great for years!

3.5/5  rDev -23.2%

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%

I’ve been really looking forward to this beer for some time, and for some reason after classes today I decided that today was the day. I’ve heard mix reviews anywhere from “I had to pour it out” to “one of the best beers I’ve had”. This is one of the beers I’ve seen the rating for before trying, so I’ll try and not bias my rating.

First Old Ale rating.

Bottle from Kuhnhenn’s solstices bottling party.

A & S: Immediately after cracking the cap it came off super boozy. After a few seconds some of the scents I expected came through: toffee and lots of sweetness. Some lesser scents include raisins and bourbon. Dark (dead and dense looking) brown colored beer. Not much head (light tan) colored even when poured vigorously. The head dies very quickly to nothing but a ring and some interesting whisks in the center. The head never really goes away, a creamy looking ring is around at all times. Some specks of lacying cling to the sides.

T & M: The taste is extremely complex and rich. The overwhelming tones of the beer are a battle between sweetness and alcohol. There are a lot of different dark fruits I’m tasting in the one including: raisins, plums, and cherries. Caramel is a huge component of the beer. Other lesser tones I’m tasting include: a bit of smokiness, vanilla, bourbon, brown sugar. It’s pretty boozy but, I feel like it pulls it off well, like a good barleywine would. Not as warming as you would think for a beer that is 13.5%. Very, very smooth and creamy probably the smoothest beer I’ve ever had, if not its in the top 5. That smoothness is complemented nicely with a bite of carbonation. On the chewy side for being medium in body.

O: I think this beer is great for the style I just prefer. I wouldn’t want more then one or two at a time, it very, very rich and intense. I think I would need to branch out more on my Old Ale before I could give this one a more honest rating. It really might be one of the best beers, but its just not one I feel I can fully appreciate yet.

3.69/5  rDev -19.1%

My second Kuhnhenn's beer in two nights. What a treat. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Jester King snifter.

Pours a dark, muddy brown with ZERO head. It appears as though there's little to no carbonation in this one. Not sure if that's the norm or not. The nose is a straight up bourbon bomb, mixed with some vanilla and cocoa. The taste also proves to be absolutely laden with bourbon. This is 13.5%, and I feel like I can taste every last tenth of a percent of the alcohol. The taste otherwise mirrors the nose. The mouthfeel on this is pretty hot. Again, very booze forward. There's a mild dark fruit overtone on the finish, but it's tough to distinguish through the pervading alcohol. Overall, I'm glad I got to try this, and although it is tasty and I would certainly not bat an eye at the opportunity to have it again, I don't think it's one I'll seek out going forward.

4.39/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From 12oz bottle to snifter on 1/6/12
*From notes

-- Thanks to ajsdad06 for the swap --

A: Not a bit of head on a hard pour. Caramel brown in hue.

S: Extremely sweet and concentrated late harvest vine fruit. I've never in my life encountered a bouquet like it. The concentration can't be underplayed. The more I get my nose in there, the more of the rich barrel characterisitcs I get. It almost smells like a Mounds bar.

T: Again, this is like drinking straight concentrate. Malt, plums, bourbon, vanilla and toasted coconut meld together to create what is one jaw droppingly unique flavor profile. And it goes on and on and on and on....

M: No complaints here. The barrel has really impacted the brew, as it's extremely smooth and silky, almost cask-like.

O: Like the finest of California's cult cabs, the concentration of Kuhnhenn's BB 4D is absolutely astounding. It may be a bit off-putting for some, as I can see this being an aquired taste. But for the barrel aged veterans, this is a thing of beauty, unquestionably one of a kind and simply delicious.

4.24/5  rDev -7%

A - pours a murky chestnut brown with an inch of tan foam that slowly formed and stuck around just as long.

S - The aroma is a nice plum aroma, not overly strong, along with some sugary sweetness. I'm picking up some oak and bourbon as well but nothing too strong.

T - very nice flavor. i'm picking up alot of chocolate mixed with the dark fruit, vanilla, and some more oak. There is some bourbony sweetness in the middle and the heat only picks up in the finish along with a nice spiciness.

M/D - Milky and creamy mouthfeel, nice slightly prickly carbonation but not overly lively. The heat doesn't hold you back and you I just want to keep drinking more.

I'm thinking maybe a barleywine or an olde ale.
I've definitely not had this one before. I'm horrible at taking a guess so i'll just rip it open to find

Kuhnhenn BB4D 2011

Nice hit on my want list! I'm really impressed with this beer and so glad I had a chance to finally try it. Thanks to Abraxel for another knockout.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company