Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,520
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: alexgash on 12-14-2006

This is our 4th Dementia Olde Ale that has been bourbon barrel aged. This ale has an intense sweet caramel malt flavor and aroma that develops into a toffee/toasted marsh mellow like character.

4.97/5  rDev +9%

I figure I should probably get around to reviewing my top 5 beers and I'm starting at number one.

Pours a little muddy with no head. Appearance is the only thing I can ding this beer on. My normal description is that its an ugly beer, but 3/4 of the way through a glass I have to say its not as bad looking as it was on pour. Its dark, but held to the light you're rewarded with cloudy copper and what was at first a bit ugly really shines. Can't give it more than a 4.5 for looks, though. And that may be generous, but to me appearance is the least important characteristic for a beer.

Aroma is caramel, dark dry fruit, bourbon and malt without unwanted butter. Too much butter has been killing a lot of beers for me and this does not offend.

Taste... As long as its not too cold it is a miracle. Caramel, chocolate, malt, spice, oak, vanilla, bourbon - all in mad harmony. I'd have guessed it a happy accident if they didn't deliver on multiple vintages. It is a warm happy place and is my go-to when I just want to go to my true happy. A glass of this and the company of my rabbit and I can put anything behind me.

Mouthfeel is warm, but not hot. Slick and barely carbonated, but it doesn't feel like it needs any more than it has. And I really don't get the burn I expect from something this big. It feels "right" and I can't say better than that.

Overall my number one beer I've ever tasted. In the three years I've been really drinking beer I've tried a LOT of great beers and only one true challenger comes to mind (and it was a draft only miracle via Urbain - capiche?). This is a style I love done right, bourbon-aged, and it hits damn near full marks. It is my miracle beer and I love it more than these words can convey.

4.61/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle from MasterSki, thanks a ton for this one.

2010 bottle.

Murky brown colour, no lace, barely noticeable white ring along the edge of the glass. Smell is of caramel, brown, sugar, fudge scents, raisin, dark fruit, some alcohol soaked dark bread, toffee, oak, mild vanilla and some whiskey notes. Taste is malty with brown sugar, vanilla and toffee, caramel, oak, light bourbon and fruit flavours, mildly sweet, a touch of warming alcohol, incredibly complex. Light carbonation, full body, full weight, rich overall feel is lightly syrupy and coats the mouth well. Outstanding stuff, incredibly complex and flavourful, will seek more of this out for sure.

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottle shared by Pino, thanks to Alex (MasterSki) for providing the bottle a while back via trade (I believe). 2010 vintage, 355ml into a tulip.

Poured almost flat, save a couple bubbles atop. An unclear, if not muddy brown body with significant legs. Nose has lots of chocolate fudge, caramel, some bourbon - not prominent, but well integrated. Some dried dark fruits as well. Outstanding flavour, a bit of alcohol/bourbon at the front, with more fudge goodness, dried fruits, sweet malts and general barleywine-like character. Maybe some bourbon soaked dark fruits dipped in fudge would be the easiest way to put this? So much complexity in spite of these descriptors, just great. Thick and full mouthfeel, low carbonation and most certainly something to ponder over. Not a ton of alcohol in the finish. I'd certainly pursue this again, just fantastic. Thanks a ton Pino and Alex.

4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

A- A low head developed, but what did come out was super creamy. Laces full and delightful with good retention. Deep dark body, a viscous appearance at times. What is that, maple syrup and soy sauce coloration? Interesting, interesting. Excites me.

S- WHOOOO diggity dog damn YES! That maple and bourbon barrel character are undeniable. This smells like... like something familiar. Oak and wooden back end, sweet caramels and molasses up front, some dark fruit and volatile chemical heat. Egg nog and custard... almost a... creme brulee note. The timing of the intake of breath allows different phases to be experienced. Initially it was a very sweet aroma.. vanilla and bourbon heat. As it warmed you got more caramel and molasses with the bourbon heat. Less sweet vanilla, more savory earthy sweetness. Its reminding me of a Hair of the Dog bourbon barrel barley wine. Adam? No... I wonder...

T- Nom, nom, nom! First impressions are the barrel characteristics, the bourbon sweetness, the heat of a high alcohol beer. A spicy burn right on the center of your tongue letting you know to be careful! I'm no slutty girl to be slurped down, but savored and gently sucked.

After this opening slap you detect the vanilla and oak of barrel, it lingers, it delights, but it vanishes and you have caramels, maple syrup, and dry ethanol nature.

M- Full body, slightly creamy, mildly astringent, definitely hot. Sticky flavors, a residue forming on the cracks and crevices of my lips. Low carbonation benefits it well, I'd say perfect carbonation.

It tastes not as amazing as it smells. Don't get me wrong, its good bordering great in flavor... but that nose is where its at.

4.29/5  rDev -5.9%

Reviewed for the Blind Beer BIF #6. 12oz botttle poured into a snifter. 2010 vintage

A: Dark brown pour with some ruby highlights. No head or lacing, overall pretty "still" looking (3.5)

S: Mmm, this smells like a barleywine. Maybe an old ale. Anyways, love the nose. Dark fruit (fig, cherry) meet notes of caramel, bread and maybe oak. Possibly barrel aged? (4.5)

T: Caramel malt base with multiple layers. The dark fruit provides a bit of spice and melts into chocolate, vanilla and oak. The remnant of hops provide a contrasting bitterness to a mostly sweet beer. The hint of spice is mostly in the finish along with a small amount of boozy heat (4.5)

M: Medium bodied. Virtually no carbonation, very smooth. Lingering sweetness left in the tongue (4)

D: Really liking this beer. Guessing it's up there in ABV but doesn't really drink that way. Would revisit. Only complaint is it starts to become cloying towards the end (4)

4.97/5  rDev +9%

On-tap at Kuhnhenn 1/8/12, from notes. 10 oz. pour into Kuhnhenn Belgian tulip.

A: Brown and murky with no head whatsoever. Maybe a slight reddish hue. Not a whole lot of light is getting through here; it just looks like it's going to be thick.

S: A whole lot of bourbon and caramel. Maybe a touch of vanilla and some cherry, but the bourbon and caramel dominate the entire nose. The smell is intoxicating and inviting.

T: Whoa. No false pretenses from the smell. This is bourbon, caramel, and heavy malts toying with each other in my mouth. The huge malt backbone of the standard 4D holds up incredibly well to the bourbon. The way the flavors blend in this beer is nothing short of wonderful.

M: The bourbon and caramel coat my entire mouth, and the flavor lingers. This thing is thick, heavy, sticky, and warming. I can tell this is a 13.5% abv beer, but it does not deter me at all. It's amazing to me how smooth this goes down.

O: To me, this is exactly what you want from a barleywine or an olde ale. I deduct points for lack of head, but come on, who am I kidding? Beers just do not get much better than this. Very lucky to be able to obtain this gem fairly easily.

Every time I have this beer, it never disappoints.

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks DaftCaskBC for sharing this beauty.

Appearance. Pours a cloudy, lighter brown with almost no head.

Smell. Caramel, brown sugar and bourbon with some wood and chocolate.

Taste. Sweet brown sugar and molasses with some boozy bourbon and oak.

Mouthfeel. Full body with low carbonation. Warm, but not in an unpleasant way.

Overall. Awesome. Really easy drinking for the abv.

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%

10oz pour into a Snifter at the Brewery.

A - Dark, almost like a burgundy color, slight rim of head that wasnt significant.

S - Wonderful aroma - smells of bourbon, caramel, molasses, earthy hops.

T - Very sweet up-front from the caramel. It finishes a little hot but nothing you wouldnt expect from a 13.5% beer. The flavors melded together fantastically.

M - Medium body with little to no carbonation. It is stronger so it took a good 30-45 minutes to sip through this one which was nice.

O - Absolutely wonderful old ale, the smell and taste were outstanding. I'd love to have a bottle of this to age for a year to get a little of the bourbon to subside.

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to cosmicevan for this one.

A: Minimal head over cloudy brown liquid.

S: Chocolate, toffee, bourbon and some yeast. Beautiful.

T: Toffee, chocolate, bourbon, oak, yeast and a fair amount of alcohol.

M: Medium to thin viscosity with a low level of carbonation.

O: If it was less boozy it would be superb, however, this is still an excellent beer.

4.39/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

EDIT: Reviewed this blind, again, on 11/4/12, thanks to abraxel...

A: Pours a murky brown/red with only a few larger bubbles lingering around the edges of the glass. There is absolutely no lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose in this beer is sweet and boozy. I get a lot of malt, some really nice stone fruits, dates, caramel, and vanilla. It smells like this beer might have seen the inside of a barrel.

T: This beer starts out sweet and malty, with a great fruit character underneath. It’s big on caramel, big on booze, and the vanilla is definitely there as well. The heat from the alcohol is really big on this beer. This is darn delicious.

M: Full bodied beer. It’s sweet and syrupy, coats the palate, and lingers for awhile. The remaining notes are caramel and booze.

O: Color me impressed. this beer is nice. It’s a slow drinker, but it’s good. The sweetness and alcohol are perfectly balanced.

Got this from 2beerornot2beer in the Blind Beer Round 6 BIF.12oz. bottle poured into my Bell's Tulip:

A: Pours a super dark murky brown. There is very little head to this beer, just a thin khaki colored ring that hugs the glass.

S: The smell is super sweet. There is huge malt character, caramel, and toffee notes. I get a bit of oak and vanilla. There is also a roasty/toast scent that shines through. It’s also super boozy. A bit of sea-weed in there as well.

T: The taste is big and sweet up front. I feel like this beer has most defiantly been in a barrel. The booze is strong with this one. It’s a tiny bit funky, with tastes of sea-weed, but it’s not awful.

M: Full bodied beer. The flavors begin to envelop the palate, but the smoothness fades and I’m left with a lot of harsh boozy flavors. I wish this beer was smoother.

O: This beer is decent. The flavors are there, but they don’t mingle all that well from start to finish.

4.31/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottle shared courtesy of Rhettroactive. Thanks, Rhett! Poured into a snifter...

A: Pours a ruddy brown with just the faintest amber trace. No real head to speak of, though I wouldn't expect it from a bruiser like this. Just the tiniest bit of lacing. Good, but nothing special.

S: Wow, this is an intense smelling beer, maybe the most intense and complex brew I have ever experienced. Loads of vanilla and coconut, wave after wave of raisins, lots of ripe dark fruit, cherry, caramel, some toffee, oak, and, of course, bourbon. The essence is just a little too sweet for my tastes, almost a funky finish in the bouquet. I love the first 3/4 of the nose on this, but the finish is really weird. Dare I say it, almost made me gag.

T: Raisins, oak, tobacco, bourbon, chocolate, vanilla. Lots of tobacco and leather on the finish. Wow, I am really impressed with it. Super complex and with a nice, bitter, earthy finish. Home run. Great.

M: Moderately carbonated, a pretty significant alcohol burn. Flavors are all very well integrated and balanced, though. Super thick bodied and cloying, everything a beer like this should be. Great work.

O: If you can get past the mildly off-putting end notes of the smell, 4th Dementia reveals itself to be a spectacularly complex and enjoyable beverage. I can see why people rave about this one. This one feels great on the palate, and presents new flavors with each sip. Still let down by the smell, but the taste and balance make up for it.

3.5/5  rDev -23.2%

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz 2011 picked up at winter solstice time.
Surprisingly dark brown, nearly no light gets through actually. Not quite as thick as a stout by any means. Layer of light tan bubbles builds. Glad to see these new ones have some carb, helps the mouthfeel as well.

Aroma, Heavy bourbon oak, vanilla, brown sugar, prune, malty goodness.

Taste, Really a lot going on with this one. Malty caramel, brown sugar, rumcake, rainin/fig. Large accents of vanilla, oak, bourbon, dark chocolate.

Big,slick, creamy and warming, but the alcohol is really really well hidden. I can't believe how easily I could put this down for the size. Heat does build though, 13.5 does need to be respected.

Rock solid barrel aged old ale. The cream of a small crop. Up there with Black Biscuit for me as my fav.
Pleased with my choice for New Years Eve for sure, Happy 2012!

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company