Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,555
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: alexgash on 12-14-2006

This is our 4th Dementia Olde Ale that has been bourbon barrel aged. This ale has an intense sweet caramel malt flavor and aroma that develops into a toffee/toasted marsh mellow like character.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

huge thanks to dblab33 for my first kuhnhenn brew , thanks dan!

ive heard a lot about this guy, time to see what its all about. its going to be tough as ive got adam available, one of my fav brews.

bottle says its been aged for nine montha in the barrel and i believe another nine months have passed since its been bottled.

12oz into a tulip glass

a- looks damn good so far, thin half inch brown head over a really dark ruby red hue ale. this is exatly how i like my old ales to look, alot bigger head than i was expecting knowing this was barrel aged.

s- noticed the nose on this one right when i opened it, awesome! dark juicy fruits are immediate, lots of sweet toffee and brown sugar. great mix with the barrel, i need to try regular 4d

t- nice, follows the nose closely. dark fruit is fantastic (plum and cherry) and up front followed by vanilla, and bourbon. nearly zero alc heat, this one is delicious. really enjoy that dark cherry flavor that lingers

m- heavy on the palate exactly as old ales should be. carbonation is high for something aged so long, very impressive.

o- now i know what the commotion is about! thank god ive got a second bottle haha. this guy really wins points being cheaper and more avaible than adam from the wood and it blows north coast ba old stock outta the water with value. the high quality is very present in this guy. like adam i think this one will age great for years!

3.5/5  rDev -23.2%

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%

I’ve been really looking forward to this beer for some time, and for some reason after classes today I decided that today was the day. I’ve heard mix reviews anywhere from “I had to pour it out” to “one of the best beers I’ve had”. This is one of the beers I’ve seen the rating for before trying, so I’ll try and not bias my rating.

First Old Ale rating.

Bottle from Kuhnhenn’s solstices bottling party.

A & S: Immediately after cracking the cap it came off super boozy. After a few seconds some of the scents I expected came through: toffee and lots of sweetness. Some lesser scents include raisins and bourbon. Dark (dead and dense looking) brown colored beer. Not much head (light tan) colored even when poured vigorously. The head dies very quickly to nothing but a ring and some interesting whisks in the center. The head never really goes away, a creamy looking ring is around at all times. Some specks of lacying cling to the sides.

T & M: The taste is extremely complex and rich. The overwhelming tones of the beer are a battle between sweetness and alcohol. There are a lot of different dark fruits I’m tasting in the one including: raisins, plums, and cherries. Caramel is a huge component of the beer. Other lesser tones I’m tasting include: a bit of smokiness, vanilla, bourbon, brown sugar. It’s pretty boozy but, I feel like it pulls it off well, like a good barleywine would. Not as warming as you would think for a beer that is 13.5%. Very, very smooth and creamy probably the smoothest beer I’ve ever had, if not its in the top 5. That smoothness is complemented nicely with a bite of carbonation. On the chewy side for being medium in body.

O: I think this beer is great for the style I just prefer. I wouldn’t want more then one or two at a time, it very, very rich and intense. I think I would need to branch out more on my Old Ale before I could give this one a more honest rating. It really might be one of the best beers, but its just not one I feel I can fully appreciate yet.

3.69/5  rDev -19.1%

My second Kuhnhenn's beer in two nights. What a treat. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Jester King snifter.

Pours a dark, muddy brown with ZERO head. It appears as though there's little to no carbonation in this one. Not sure if that's the norm or not. The nose is a straight up bourbon bomb, mixed with some vanilla and cocoa. The taste also proves to be absolutely laden with bourbon. This is 13.5%, and I feel like I can taste every last tenth of a percent of the alcohol. The taste otherwise mirrors the nose. The mouthfeel on this is pretty hot. Again, very booze forward. There's a mild dark fruit overtone on the finish, but it's tough to distinguish through the pervading alcohol. Overall, I'm glad I got to try this, and although it is tasty and I would certainly not bat an eye at the opportunity to have it again, I don't think it's one I'll seek out going forward.

4.39/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From 12oz bottle to snifter on 1/6/12
*From notes

-- Thanks to ajsdad06 for the swap --

A: Not a bit of head on a hard pour. Caramel brown in hue.

S: Extremely sweet and concentrated late harvest vine fruit. I've never in my life encountered a bouquet like it. The concentration can't be underplayed. The more I get my nose in there, the more of the rich barrel characterisitcs I get. It almost smells like a Mounds bar.

T: Again, this is like drinking straight concentrate. Malt, plums, bourbon, vanilla and toasted coconut meld together to create what is one jaw droppingly unique flavor profile. And it goes on and on and on and on....

M: No complaints here. The barrel has really impacted the brew, as it's extremely smooth and silky, almost cask-like.

O: Like the finest of California's cult cabs, the concentration of Kuhnhenn's BB 4D is absolutely astounding. It may be a bit off-putting for some, as I can see this being an aquired taste. But for the barrel aged veterans, this is a thing of beauty, unquestionably one of a kind and simply delicious.

4.24/5  rDev -7%

A - pours a murky chestnut brown with an inch of tan foam that slowly formed and stuck around just as long.

S - The aroma is a nice plum aroma, not overly strong, along with some sugary sweetness. I'm picking up some oak and bourbon as well but nothing too strong.

T - very nice flavor. i'm picking up alot of chocolate mixed with the dark fruit, vanilla, and some more oak. There is some bourbony sweetness in the middle and the heat only picks up in the finish along with a nice spiciness.

M/D - Milky and creamy mouthfeel, nice slightly prickly carbonation but not overly lively. The heat doesn't hold you back and you I just want to keep drinking more.

I'm thinking maybe a barleywine or an olde ale.
I've definitely not had this one before. I'm horrible at taking a guess so i'll just rip it open to find

Kuhnhenn BB4D 2011

Nice hit on my want list! I'm really impressed with this beer and so glad I had a chance to finally try it. Thanks to Abraxel for another knockout.

4.97/5  rDev +9%

I figure I should probably get around to reviewing my top 5 beers and I'm starting at number one.

Pours a little muddy with no head. Appearance is the only thing I can ding this beer on. My normal description is that its an ugly beer, but 3/4 of the way through a glass I have to say its not as bad looking as it was on pour. Its dark, but held to the light you're rewarded with cloudy copper and what was at first a bit ugly really shines. Can't give it more than a 4.5 for looks, though. And that may be generous, but to me appearance is the least important characteristic for a beer.

Aroma is caramel, dark dry fruit, bourbon and malt without unwanted butter. Too much butter has been killing a lot of beers for me and this does not offend.

Taste... As long as its not too cold it is a miracle. Caramel, chocolate, malt, spice, oak, vanilla, bourbon - all in mad harmony. I'd have guessed it a happy accident if they didn't deliver on multiple vintages. It is a warm happy place and is my go-to when I just want to go to my true happy. A glass of this and the company of my rabbit and I can put anything behind me.

Mouthfeel is warm, but not hot. Slick and barely carbonated, but it doesn't feel like it needs any more than it has. And I really don't get the burn I expect from something this big. It feels "right" and I can't say better than that.

Overall my number one beer I've ever tasted. In the three years I've been really drinking beer I've tried a LOT of great beers and only one true challenger comes to mind (and it was a draft only miracle via Urbain - capiche?). This is a style I love done right, bourbon-aged, and it hits damn near full marks. It is my miracle beer and I love it more than these words can convey.

4.61/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle from MasterSki, thanks a ton for this one.

2010 bottle.

Murky brown colour, no lace, barely noticeable white ring along the edge of the glass. Smell is of caramel, brown, sugar, fudge scents, raisin, dark fruit, some alcohol soaked dark bread, toffee, oak, mild vanilla and some whiskey notes. Taste is malty with brown sugar, vanilla and toffee, caramel, oak, light bourbon and fruit flavours, mildly sweet, a touch of warming alcohol, incredibly complex. Light carbonation, full body, full weight, rich overall feel is lightly syrupy and coats the mouth well. Outstanding stuff, incredibly complex and flavourful, will seek more of this out for sure.

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company