Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,641
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: alexgash on 12-14-2006

This is our 4th Dementia Olde Ale that has been bourbon barrel aged. This ale has an intense sweet caramel malt flavor and aroma that develops into a toffee/toasted marsh mellow like character.
Reviews: 378 | Hads: 1,709
4.14/5  rDev -7.4%

2010 12oz Brown bottle

A: Deep brown, murky, very little head, carbonation is there but ever so slight.

S: The nose one this beer is very intense, port, oak, vanilla, and nutmeg. There are some notes of cream sherry that become apparent after letting the drink warm.

T: Bourbon, vanilla, and cream start this drink, a heavy malt presence comes midway, and the finish on this beer is very clean for such a big beer.

M,O: There beer really comes into its self when it warms up to near room temperature. When I first opened this beer it was far too cold and it did the beer no justice, let it warm and this beer comes into its self. (633 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%

2010 Batch, big thanks to JohnB87 for the trade.

A: Pours a hazy dark caramel-y brown with almost no head

S: Smells of bourbon primarily, but also smells a bit candy sweet with hints of vanilla and oak, incredible aroma

T: Taste is bourbon primarily but has a deliciously sweet caramel/vanilla flavor with hints of oakiness in the background. The base beer's raisininess comes through a bit as well. There's a small amount of heat in the finish.

M: It's medium-bodied and a bit sticky without a ton of carbonation, but it actually suits the beer pretty well.

O: This is a damn good beer that will only get better with age, which might help take some of the heat off of it. It belongs up there with the upper echelon of bourbon barrel barleywines (even though it calls itself an Old Ale). (797 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +9.4%

Experienced this beer by surprise at the Cleveland International Beerfest. Word of mouth traveled that if you ask....it will be poured! The Kuhnhenn stand was way off from the other Michigan breweries...like the a bad kid put in a corner. The stand itself looked a little goofy. I got to admit I passed it twice and didn't think of trying anything. Then I got word of the 4th Dimentia....

This beer was the BEST beer at the beerfest! The taste has so much going on its hard to separate them. Second best to the taste of this beer was the 5 minutes I spent smelling my empty glass.

Now Kuhnhenn's Brewering Co. is on my map. May even be worth the drive. (655 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 batch

Pours a murky dark amber with some red highlights. After an aggressive pour, a few bubbles form and then dissipate. A little lacing on the glass. I smell lots of raisins, oak, vanilla, booze, bourbon, leather and figs. The taste reminds me of an English Barleywine and follows the smell exactly with the addition of marshmallow and coconut. Very minimal carbonation. The body of this beer is medium and kind of syrupy. An excellent beer to sip on after a meal. With some age, it will get even better. Definitely one of the best old ales/barleywines I have ever had.

Edit---i was wrong. I had a 2010 bottle that I aged and the beer really went downhill. Seems as though its best to drink this fresh (710 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks greatly to starrdogg for opening this last night. You're the man Matt. 2010 vintage.

A: Really syrupy look with thick crimson tinged muddy brown being the main hue of the body of the beer. No head or lacing the speak of, though I wasn't expecting any in this style. Nice.

S: Huge excellent complex bourbon barrel hits first and under that you get an amazing aroma of dark fruits, vanilla bean, cinnamon, alcohol heat/sweetness, and malt I can only describe as "cellar molasses/olde ale" malt. Excellent.

T: The smell is characterized in the taste with additions of brown sugar, barley cereal, ginger, oak bourbon, and definitely maple syrup. A great taste, with a little age this is going to be an easy five with the alcohol heat tamed a little.

M: As mentioned above, the alcohol heat detracts slightly but also gives the drinker the impression of drinking bourbon or port, which ain't bad at all. Very smooth thick feel thats great.

O: An excellent barrel aged barleywine/old ale, probably my favorite to date. I will be looking to trade for this. (1,063 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

Generously hooked up in a trade from Scoot1969. Thank you sir.

This is my second time having this beer. First time it was late in a tasting and my penmanship was poor so sadly no notes. This time though with sobriety intact a proper review.

As most my reviews I pour the liquid into my trusty Darkness Snifter. A real muddy brown. No head whatsoever, and you guessed it, no lacing. There is a tiny white ring that circumferences the glass. A nice little contrast to the muddy brown. In the smell aspect I pick up lots of chocolate malt and bourbon. Like a kiss from bakers chocolate for my nose. It's intoxicating. Wow. There is a deep bourbon and chocolate love affair going on here. Just the slightest touch of sweet dark fruit, a little raisin I would say. Nice and sweet though. Not a lot of carbonation here. It is exactly what this beer calls for though. I think more would take away from the steamy love scene in my mouth. I can feel the boozy bite but damn it feels so good.

Very impressed. In fact I really dig it. Worthy of every praise. (1,051 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks, as usual, to beerisheaven for one more gem crowding my beer fridge. I will have you thank, my friend, when my liver begins to fail! And I mean that in a positive way.

Cap pops with a satisfying hiss; there was a little sticky on the neck, but I never could figure out where it came from, & thankfully it wasn't this bottle. All but the final 1/4 ounce goes into the sturdy, unbranded goblet, a liquid flow of flaky rust. The smell stirs me; classic old ale with brown sugar, toffee, & singular malts mixed with vanilla & bourbon of the most nose-pleasing varietal. Oooooh. This is going to be good, isn't it?

I'll confess; I wasn't wild about regular 4D, & it might be that I had an off bottle. This I like. A testing sip turns into three quick mouthfuls. The bourbon is hot & strong in this one, spreading warmth throughout my upper chest cavity; this might be good for curing a cold. Vanilla covers the tongue & weaves itself into a theme of sweet-on-sweet. Toffee & caramel bathe in a drawn tub of alcohol warmth. Slices of dark fruit, corn syrup, & leather may or may not be imagined.

This is like sipping fine Elko, MN maple syrup. Virtually no carbonation, still & flat. But man, is it good, This is one of those Kuhnhenn beers that makes it worth getting through their catalog; excellent beer, only a breeze below the nose-in-the-air echelon of elite barrel-aged beers. Maybe. Somebody ought to send me another so I can make sure I didn't miss anything. (1,472 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

Nearly flat, but that's expected. Opaque and light brown I watch as carbonation escapes the surface of this beer. Complex aroma, woody barrel, bourbon and brandy, booze is prominant, some nice leathery quality and hints of vanilla and chocolate. A big mouthful of bourbon, smokey notes, leather and ash; oak is there too. Chocolate, vanilla and booze too.
Sticky and thick, oily, just perfect. A little hot but that is excusable at such a high abv. Beers like this grow my like for this style more and more. A really great sipper, nothing could be better about this beer. (572 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Big thanks to Romulux for the hook up on this one. 1st official review despite a year on the site.

Appearance: Dark brown almost plum color. Little to no head at all. Damn, this sucker looks good.

Smell: Raisins covered in caramel with a side bourbon served on an oak bed. Exceptional smell. Ready to dive in.

Taste: The taste is beyond smooth. 13.5% you say?! Wow, that's very well hidden. The bourbon is more and more noticeable as I continue to drink, but its a welcomed addition. The complexity is outstanding.

Mouthfeel: Smooth as gravy. Again, half way through the bourbon starts to reveal itself a bit more, but it makes the mouthfeel even more smooth.

Overall: Yum sandwich. This goes down as the best old ale I 've ever had and easily one of the top 10 beers I've ever tasted. The smoothness is jaw dropping and the taste is outstanding. The more I had of the bottle, the more I enjoyed and truly savored this treat. (934 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -7.4%

A: pours murky brown with little head that recedes into nothing with no lacing.

S: caramel, vanilla, oak, bourbon, molasses, and sherry. Interesting aroma.

T: very similar to the aroma--lots of caramelized vanilla, oak, bourbon, and sherry. Quite good.

M: thick body with low carbonation, this beer is a bit oily feeling but nice and not too sweet.

O: a very good beer. Not extremely complex, but avoids being too sweet. (424 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%

Damn this was awesome, the brewers father had opened a bottle of this for a friend and myself to try at the brewery when we were there. Thanks to him for a much appreciated sample of this gem! The beer poured out as a murky dark brown color with a little tan head on it. The smell was fantastic on this beer, rich and roasted aromas with sweet vanilla bourbon spewing from it. The taste is wonderfully blended with the complexity of the old ale with the elements of the barrel aged bourbon. The mouthfeel is thick and oily, nearly perfect. Such a good brew but really pricy! (574 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip.
13.5% ABV, 2010, Serve at 45-55 F

Thanks to Sweemzander for breaking out this awesome old ale!

A - Dark, dark brown in color, it almost looks opaque despite being clear. Even a tall pour can't coax a head from this brew. So skim on the surface, just tiny bubbles are left residing along the glass' edge.

S - Warm alcohol envelops the strong malty nose rich with sweet caramel and toast. Dense bready notes and dark fruit esters hide behind the smooth but boozy bourbon and oak smell. Heavy and foreboding but mysteriously inviting.

T - Bold and complex, heavy malt supports the boozy alcohol and wood flavor. Notes of molasses, brown sugar, dark fruit esters, and dirt in the background.

M - Smooth and full-bodied, 4D is incredibly warm finishing with a retro-nasal heat finish. So tasty and smooth!

O - One awesome brew with solid flavor but little heat (for the percent anyway). Definitely best split a few ways but very good none-the-less. (999 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle shared by Tyler (big thanks!!) Clear dark brown pour, almost no carbonation and wonderful aroma of boozy caramel, sea salt and chocolate. Flavor is also silky caramel, boozy toast, nuts and finished pleasantly boozy and warming on the aftertaste. Every flavor in this beer melded extremely well with one another, just outstanding! (337 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

This rating is from the tap at Jackie O's. Was really happy to see this was made again and even happier to have a chance to have it on tap. Never thought this would live up to the first batch from a few years ago, I am glad I was wrong. The appearance on draft wasn't much to write home about, brownish in color with almost no head on my pour. The aroma is where this beer starts to pick up some steam. Caramel, oak, vanilla with a hint of bourbony booze. Flavor continues to much the same with a huge hit of vanilla and caramel with a touch of fruitiness as it warms. The alcohol is definitely present but I did not find it overwhelming. Given the opportunity this will age beautifully. (687 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at Jackie O's for the Stout Festival. Served in a 10oz snifter for around $8.

This beer looks great in the glass except for the lack of head. The beer is a dark caramel color with hints of red and gold around the edges. A small film of a head quickly dies out, leaving very little remnants save for a soapy bubble here and there.

The smell is quite frankly one of the best old ale noses, or barrel aged noses anywhere. Huge notes of caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, oak and bourbon leap out of the glass. There are so many layers of goodness. A bit of toffee, dark cherry and a touch of booze finish the well-rounded nose. This is so expressive and intricate. Very, very good so far.

The taste is also stellar, but there's just a touch too much noticeable booze. I wonder if that will mellow out when the beer ages. For now, we get a really tasty base of caramel and toffee with huge notes from the barrel. Some flavors of dark fruit, baked bread and brown sugar lurk in the background. There are luscious hints of vanilla, coconut shavings, bourbon and just a touch of woody tannin. The beer is satisfying and flavorful. It could just use a bit less booze. At 13.5%, I'm not expecting any miracles here, but I would like to see the boozy note smooth out. Close to the best Old Ale I've ever had.

The mouthfeel is a touch on the syrupy side, with a medium to heavy body and low carbonation. That's just fine, but there is a slight flaw in that the finish is just a touch too dry - I'd like some lingering sweetness and instead this seems a bit drying. Overall, with a few small mis-steps noted, this is a legendary brew and one I would be happy to enjoy again and again. I'll be sure to make the trip up to Kuhnhenn for the next release!! (1,747 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

Deep mahogany pour with bright, ruby highlights. Lots of rich, over-ripe dark fruit aroma with a healthy balance of sweet and smoky bourbon, lots of vanilla, some black strap molasses, deep aromatic oak, and notes of tobacco, anise, and leather. The flavor is a blast of smoky bourbon upfront. The middle reveals lots of toffee, caramel, and molasses. Finishes with lots of vanilla, fig, raisin, alcohol, anise and oak. The body is sticky and full with soft carbonation. (470 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: The beer is very dark brown (near black) in color and poured with a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass and a bit of lacing on the surface.
S: There are moderate aromas of bourbon, caramel, dark fruits, sweetness and oak in the nose.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell in that it has complex flavors. The bourbon flavors are a bit stronger compared to the aroma but they do not dominate the taste and are well incorporated with the other flavors. However, notes of bourbon do stand out in the finish.
M: It feels full-bodied and smooth on the palate with a light amount of carbonation. Notes of warming from the alcohol are present in the finish.
O: Considering its strength, this beer is exceptionally easy to drink because the alcohol is completely masked from the taste.

Note: 2008 vintage (817 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

2010 Bottle. Thanks to khumbard and the regular 4D.

A: Pours a dark ruby red (a darker shade than regular 4D), a little bit of tan foam appears and quickly dissipates.

S: Less of a cotton candy smell that I thought the regular had, this has caramel and toffee sweetness, brown sugar, hints of bourbon, vanilla and oak. This is still very sweet smelling, but a bit more booze in the nose.

T: caramel and toffee dominate, with brown sugar and raisins also prevalent. Nice bourbon and oak characteristics come through. Still very sweet, but the bourbon adds another dimension to the beer. Very complex.

M/D: Thick, like pancake syrup, medium carbonation. Chewy, the alcohol is more noticeable on this one, but it does not detract from how great this thing is. (760 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to surlytheduff for the bottle.

A: Deep brown, but still with a bit of transparency, not much head but that wasnt a real issue for me.

S: Tons of toffee and caramel mixing with vanilla and bourbon. some smokiness and brown sugar.

T: Very similar to the nose. the bourbon was very present and quite enjoyable, at times i felt like i was drinking a very nice bourbon

M: Very boozy, the smallest of sips went a long way. I found myself taking alot of time with this beer enjoying every sip

D: I am extremely happy to have finally tried this beer as it is one of the top bourbon barrel aged beers i have ever tried. I am very curious to see how this one will age as well. (679 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into a snifter. 2010 on the label. I had this on-tap a little while ago and it blew my mind, but I didn't review it since I have pretty well buzzed with a wrecked palate. Here's my chance to spread the good word.

3.0 A: Pours a cloudy dark brown, nearly black color. A fairly aggressive pour gave a maximum head of about 1/4 a finger, which quickly receded. I'm sure the ABV didn't help with the head formation, but I've seen other Kuhnhenn brews form very nice heads despite super high ABVs.

5.0 S: Simply amazing. This is the perfect beer for a bourbon treatment and the bourbon treatment is done perfectly. The bourbon is what hits you first, so I guess I'll talk about that first. Intense, but tranquil bourbon - leather, peppery, raisin, oak and vanilla. There's also a moderate to not quite heavy booziness that complements the other aromas. The beer underneath is similarly wonderful. Dark fruits in the order of prune, tobacco, raisin, and fig. Sweet caramel and toffee. Perfect amount of sweetness.

5.0 T: Again, absolutely wonderful. Rich caramel and toffee. Sweet prune, plum, raisin, fig, date, tobacco, and raisin. Intense, yet well integrated flavors much like GI BCS. The bourbon again is a perfect complement to the base brew. Plenty of leathery bourbon that has a spicy quality to it with perhaps just a touch of peat. Moderate oakiness with a more than moderate amount of vanilla. Not a hint of tannins. The booziness is definitely detectable, but it doesn't taste like 13.5%. However, it certainly feels like 13.5% as in warms on the finish. Sweet caramel aftertaste.

4.5 M: Thick, creamy, and slightly chewy body. My only issue with this is that the carbonation is just a tad lower than I'd prefer. Incredibly smooth given the ABV.

5.0 D: This is one helluva beer. There's no getting around that. This takes a very good beer and supplements it with bourbon barrel flavors, which makes it a truly world class brew. The base beer is still strong enough to shine while the barrel aging adds everything you would want and nothing you wouldn't. (2,071 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz bottle, poured into a snifter at cellar temperatures.
2010 Vintage.

Appearance- Pours a dark brown, almost completely opaque to the first glance but still does let a fair amount of light though, with a miniscule half finger of off white head that quickly dissipates to a very thin ring leaving below average lacing on the glass.

Smell- Is rather sweet with molasses, toffee and what seems to be like a burnt marshmallow smell is actually present, no I’m not just reading the bottle this is what I actually smell. You get a nice strong whiff of the boozy bourbon in there as well mixed with a mild hint of vanilla.

Taste- The boozy bourbon takes over right off the bat and finishes with a nice sweet note of the burnt marshmallow almost a buttery flavour? With mild hints of vanilla and sugary sweet molasses/toffee taste.

Mouthfeel- A full bodied bourbon barrel aged ale that is very well balanced on the palate, with minimum to no carbonation.

Overall- OMG amazing doesn’t sum this beer up enough; you do get a strong kick of the bourbon but when it balances out with the sugary sweet tastes it all makes sense and the booze is not overpowering in any way, especially for the very high ABV. Kuhnhenn definitely hit the nail on the head with this one, it is an absolute gem of a beer and I feel privileged to have had the chance to try one. Just be warned to don’t have one of these and attempt to do anything but relax for the next couple hours, it will knock you on your face. (1,496 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Beer #3 from Kuhnhenn's tap takeover at the Rattle n Hum was poured into an 8oz thin, champagne flute style glass.

Bourbon Barrel 4th Dimension pours an intense mahogany, with a nice cherry shimmer along the edge of the glass when it's held up to light. There's a small amount of khaki colored foam capping it as well. Caramel is the clear standout in the smell department, it actually reminds me of the smell of the ice cream place I work for making their hot caramel topping. There's also an undercurrent of vanilla running throughout the nose, and a definite bourbon note is present as well. The aroma was good, but from the first sip this beer blasted off into the topmost echelon of any beer I've ever had. Caramel is still there in spades, and is again joined by vanilla and an impressively smooth bourbon quality. Newcomers to the party include flavors of creamy milk chocolate and and toasted marshmallows. There's also a delightfully mild warming sensation from the alcohol. It's absurd to think that this one's 13.5% alcohol, because it drinks like it's only about 9%. The body is impossibly rich and creamy, and is balanced by the absolute perfect carbonation, it's just enough to balance the sweetness and prevent the beer from coming across as cloying. Bourbon Barrel 4th Dementia reminds me a lot of the draft pour of Abacus I had a few weeks ago (which I guess makes sense seeing as I've never seen there to be a huge line between English Barleywines and Old Ales in the first place), and is one of the better beers I've ever had. (1,546 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -8.9%

Review of the latest batch.

A: Muddy brown body. Only the thinest bit of caramel colored foam.

S: Typical dark malt flavors. Caramel, brown sugar, plus the bourbon. Nice, I think it could have been better with some age to bring some things to the back and move some others to the front.

T: Like the nose, lots of malt. Lots of bourbon..

M: A bit too much heat. At first it was fine, but the occasional sip was like licking hot coals.

D: Flavorful, but a bit out of balance right now. Aging should do this wonders. (523 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Following up on the non Barrel Aged 4D earlier this week, Bourbon Barrel 4D today

A: Pour is a very hazy chestnut brown with tiny white bubbles on the top. There seem to be a lot of miniature particles hanging out in here that you cannot see directly but by the opacity, you cannot quite see through the glass.

S: Aroma of sweet malt, lots of bourbon, lots of Oak, heavy toffee, thick roasted malt, sweet barleywine / old ale aroma of marshmallow, caramelized sugars. Booze aroma. So many great flavors it is hard to capture them all.

T: Delicious light Toffee flavors , with heavy sugar Caramelization. Strong bourbon presence, a thick body, nearly stale in carbonation, which is perfect for the style. The label says toasted marshmellow and is definitely accurate. There is definitely a booze presence in this although it is not nearly as hot tasting as the non barrel aged beer. It seems to have been smoothed out from the barrel aging.
Plenty of vanilla with the toasted marshmallow taste. Golden graham / graham cracker finish with a little dryness. Vanilla really is prominent in here both from the barrel aging and the bourbon presence. This really is a fantastic -bal So good that I may need to go back and knock down some Old Ales that I have rated in a similar score.

M: Thick in mouthfeel with a light carbonation, almost like drinking directly out of a cask with the low carbonation.

O: applause - this has really come through strong. While I loved the non BA 4d, this just is a different beer and it is done extremely well (1,542 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

On Tap at Rattle $ Hum for their K. event. Served in a glass as it should.

BB4thDOA comes into the glass looking a deep dirty rotted tree bark brown bordering on black and it looks dirty. A surprising skim of tan bubbles on top with retention, not sticking though.

The smell is through the roof. Not over the top great bourbon scents along with the expected vanilla from the wood. The old ale portion leaps with smoke/peat, a nice roast, port scents akin to old English vintage ales. Some scattered dark fruit and a whiff of alcohol. Nice.

And I am literally blown away by the taste on this pup. I get bourbon up front, not overpowering but the vanilla that it brings as well melds with the old ale oh so nice. Wood along with dark fruit, port notes, an English yeast strain I pick up, toffee, sherry, alcohol. Top notch. I especially like the sweet vanilla alot.

With an ale this big, you have to expect some heat. It's there but not 13% there, I expect some heat with old ales and I find that it adds to the overall experience of the style. 4th is no exception. The body is big and is suited for sippin

Overall I enjoyed this one a hell of a lot and a little mix of this into some K. Raspberry Eisbock goes a long way. (1,225 characters)

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company