Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,674
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: alexgash on 12-14-2006

This is our 4th Dementia Olde Ale that has been bourbon barrel aged. This ale has an intense sweet caramel malt flavor and aroma that develops into a toffee/toasted marsh mellow like character.
Reviews: 387 | Hads: 1,761
4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

From 02/20/11 notes. Big thanks to normyk for this one in my Birthday BIF box; it was a huge want! Got to try this side by side with the normal version of Fourth Dementia. Both were 2010 vintages.

a - Pours a dark murky mahogany color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident. Head remains throughout drinking it.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, bready malts, dark fruits, vanilla, sweet sugar or molasses, and caramel malts. Smells outstanding.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark fruits, maple, roasted malts, caramel malts, and bready malts. Taste is amazing as well.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation, super smooth body and a tiny bit hot but not much.

d - I loved this one. I love the normal version as well and think the bourbon barrels made this even better. Would love to try this again.

4.79/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to Derek for sending this one to me. I love the regular, so how could this be bad...

A: The beer pours a murky dark brown color with a small layer of off-white/kahki head.

S: Smells like big time -bals. Tons of bourbon and vanilla with a touch of oak. Lots of great dark fruits like raisins and dates, brown sugar, toffee, and caramel. A touch of sherry in there as well.

T: Damn this is delicious. Caramel, toffee, brown sugar, and plenty of vanilla. Lots of bourbon, a bit of oak, maybe even some coconut in there too. A nice chocolatey oxidation to it and some more of the sherry flavor.

M: The body is medium to full with a smooth and sufficient carbonation.

D: It's kind of boozy, but damn is this stuff is tasty. I could drink a bottle of this almost any day.

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%

Received this bottle in a trade with normyk, thanks a bunch Will! Poured into my town hall snifter:

A - pours a very dark brown, nearly black, with just a tiny foam ring that forms around the edges. It almost looks like there is some red hues around the edges. Spotty lacing that leaves no retention on the sides.

S - Wow! This smells amazing! Deep toffee notes with heavy brown sugar, coconut and caramel. Other notes such as vanilla and oak. The bourbon barrel comes through very nicely and smell rich and smooth. Truly a delicious smelling brew.

T - Taste pretty much follows the nose with notes of caramel, burnt brown sugar, vanilla, candy, coconut and sweet, creamy bourbon. There is only a tiny bit of leather and tabacco in it, like in the regular 4th dementia, but the bourbon is more forward in this one and is very nice. There is a bit of heat in the taste, but its understandable at 13.5%. Awesome!

M - Carbonation in this one is pretty good. Leaves a bit of a tingly feeling in the mouth. A bit of heat from the booze but it is very welcoming.

D - Really a great treat. It is a nice sipper for a nice winter night (since we got about 6 inches of snow today.) The bourbon is very nice in this one and it is top notch. I really wish I had more, but I'll let my last bottle cellar for a couple years before I try it again.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Happy birthday, mom!

Alex sent me a bottle of this, many thanks to you, kind sir. 2010 vintage packaged so wonderfully well I have a hard time believing its a Kuhnhenn beer. This beer got a little wet in my fridge, and I can still read the label. Fancy that!

A murky, reddish brown with a dense, light brown head that rises briefly before falling off to a thin ring. There's a little bit of glass-coating sweetness as well. The nose is stunning. The base beer is a rather leathery beer to start with, and the barrel just accentuates that character. Rich and complex,I get toffee, coconut, vanilla and a surprising oxidation character. In this way, it's very port-like. There's also some raisins in sugar syrup here. This beer really evolves, I get a few puffs of rose water as well.

The palate really demonstrates the fact that this is closer to a port or a cognac than a beer. Rich, complex sweetness with brown sugar, raw sugar (jaggery), plenty of dark caramel, as well as more to go with that malt sweetness - there's tobacco, leather, a little smokiness even. The barrel character is beautifully integrated with vanilla, bourbon heat and tannins. Fruity in the mid-palate, this has raisins and dates as well as a very port-like oxidation character. Moderately tannic on the finish with some sweetness and heat, this is a beer that is rather wonderfully put together. Medium in body with soft carbonation, the mouthfeel is spot on for the style. Excellent stuff, despite the richness and sweetness, this drinks very easily.

**Edit 27 May 2012*

Miraculously, this seems to have fallen off, especially the mouthfeel. It doesn't have the complexity it once had, it seems to have lost it in the past few months. It's just become mellow. Tons of honey. Still excellent. 4.5/4.5/4.5/4

4.27/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle picked up by my mom at the Winter Solstice 2010 party. Served in a snifter.

Pours a dark reddish-brown with a very thin, short-lasting head. Some legs around the edges of the glass plus a bit of a thin collar. Nose is really nice and complex with bourbon, dark fruits, brown sugar, and plenty of malt sweetness. Everything is integrated well and there's just a bit of booze in the background. The flavor isn't quite as complex, but I still really enjoyed it. A bit more booze in the flavor than was present in the nose. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth; the bourbon and booze integrate well with the body on this. Very delicious and I'm looking forward to some aged bottles of this in the future.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Many thanks to gormanb for the opportunity to try this beauty.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and decent lacing. While the beer doesn't look all that impressive, one whiff when I opened the bottle told me I was in for something special. Wow. I get a huge aroma of brown sugar, prunes, maraschino cherries, vanilla and milk chocolate. This beer smells great! As good as this beer smells, it's even better on the palate. The flavor profile replicates the nose, but I also pick up anise, light butter and cherry cough drops, with a hint of heat (from alcohol- bourbon barrel aging is very noticeable in this one) and hoppy bitterness in the finish. The latter helps to counter somewhat the unbelievable amount of richness I get in this beer. Interestingly, although this beer is pretty sweet, it's not at all cloying or tiring on the palate. Granted, this beer is pretty rich and weighty on the palate, but then the alcohol is 13.5%. Otherwise, the finish is sweet, long and powerful. Drinkability isn't too bad, especially considering the abv. and sweetness. Still, there's no getting around the fact that the alcohol is pretty noticeable, and that this is very much a sipper.

This beer is comparable to a fine vintage or tawny port, and would work equally well at the conclusion of a fine meal. Just an altogether excellent fine aged ale from the folks at Kuhnhenn.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle shared by Amyliz4 last night. Thanks Amy. Beer is served in a snifter. Beer is dark brown with a healthy haze, almost no head, some legs on the glass, carbonation low. Looks pretty good.

Aroma is complex and strong. Good bourbon, molasses, raisins, plums, sweet maltiness. Very nice.

Beer is medium in body and completely coats the mouth. It's sweet up front and gives way to a nice smooth liquor flavor on the midpalate leading to a mild but clean bitterness at the back, it's subtle but there. The whole beer is good. I want to hold it in my mouth. There is a nearly treacle-like sweetness through out, minimal esters and other characters. A very good beer.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

I didnt want to be the first one to say where I had this on tap. Shit, I still wont say. Its a respect thing. But lets just say it wasnt necessarily supposed to be where it was. But when it was announced that this was on tap there was a collective "Oooohhhh!" heard across the room. Having recently enjoyed a bottle of this stuff, I was probably the loudest of the "oohs" as I grabbed Chris and drug him over to where it was being served.

Served on tap, from a sixtel, into a snifter. Probably about a 10oz pour for $7. Quite the steal if you ask me. Ive drank much less enjoyable beers for more money at Bodega.

A- Its not much different looking on tap than it was when I had my bottle. Perhaps there was a little more lacing from the tap version and a little more clarity as well. Its a dark, fairly cloudy chestnut, earthy red/brown.

S- After I was done nursing my snifter pour and Chris and I had moved on, my brother approached and said "The smell of this is YEAH!" I wasnt sure what beer he had, but I guessed that it was the Kuhnhenn. I was correct. We both shared a short freakout over how delicious the smell of this beer was. There really isnt much out there that smells this smoothed out, silky, lovely and huge, robust and powerful at the same time. Cherry, toffee, caramel, Alcohol and chocolate chip cookies are flawlessly executed. I think Im going to BM the Bros and see if they cant raise my 5 to a 500 here.

T- Im left shaking my head in disbelief. Its a true wonder how a beer this strong can be so smooth, having all of its flavors so artfully interwoven. Its pretty close to the aroma. Lots of chocolate chip cookies, toffee, nougat, vanilla and rum-raisin. Its so soft yet huge at the same time.

M- Very smooth with an unreal creaminess. The alcohol burn is really all you get from the 14% abv. It hardly affects the flavors. Personally, I think the alcohol heat is perfect for this beer.

D- Ive had this twice in a month. Sadly I think thats probably going to be the last time I have it. No, Ill totally be driving the 4 hours to Warren to snag this again. Simply the best beer I've ever had.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Muddy reddish-brown with little head, low carbonation. Good enough for what it is. The aroma, on the other hand, is incredible. Burnt sugar, integrated oak and bourbon, stewed dark fruits. Some leathery, port-like oxidation, too. Very little noticeable alcohol. The taste, likewise, is incredible. Brown sugar/molasses flavors provide a backbone for notes of leather, and bourbon. There's a nice fruitiness that's date-like, and graceful oxidation that lends a touch of port and cocoa. The body is full, carbonation low. A little too easy to drink. This reminds me quite a bit of Kuhnhenn's 2005 bourbon barrel aged barleywine.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Review from notes taken 2/5/11. A guest tap/interesting surprise at Jackie O's during the strong ale event.

This brew pours a hazed amber brown without a head. Not even a lace creeps to the top of this brew. A few off-white bubbles rise to the surface when this brew is swirled and that is all that displays reminiscent of a head.

The aroma is sweet with a scent of caramel or toasted toffee and vanilla. In the back it is lightly spicy and earthy with hops. A minorly evident mineral character is present that fades. As this brew warms, it stings the nose with a fusel alcohol presence that is not nearly as evident as I was expecting for 13.5%. Also increasing in character is the rich scent of toffee tones.

The taste of this brew is sweet with a surprisingly forward vanilla upfront that turns more into a caramelized sugar and caramel malt flavor. There is a big booze presence in this brew which is not surprising considering. It has a modest hoppy earthy bitterness that creates a dryness when coupled with the alcohol into the finish. The oak only comes through an makes itself known as it warms up with a very bitey alcohol character that has an evaporative quality on the tongue.

This is a full bodied brew, smooth with a modest amount of carbonation. It is quite drinkable with more of an herbal earthy bitterness and dryness that I was not expecting. Very well done and a complete transformation from the non-barreled version that I had not too long ago. This could be a real gem in a few years, wish I had a bottle or two to stash away.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%

As I drink this, I can't help but think of how good this beer will be in 2 years. The problem is detailed in ptykozoon's review perfectly...either the abv or a slightly annoying hop bite affects this beers finish and takes away from what will be a spectacular beer down the road. Normally I would go through the full review but other reviewers have hit the flavor on the head except for the back end sting of this one.

Do yourself a huge favor...pick up at least two of these and drink one now. Then age the other as long as possible. I think that will reveal this beers true potential which I forecast will be amazing.

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

Hard pour reveals a short lived fizzy head. Beer looks thin and well carbonated. Pretty brownish purple - no head, lacing or legs.

Vanilla, liquor - bourbon, cherries, lots of caramel, toffee, butterscotch and a bit of chocolate fudge.

Mostly caramel and roasted chocolate, raisin. Very tasty, reminiscent of wine.

Nice bite from the abv, thick mouthfeel, as opposed to my original assumptions - weighty texture, lighter carbonation. Excellent.

Could DEFINITELY use some more ageing, the abv gets in the way of things and knocks of some complexity points. Otherwise this beer is fantastic.

*2010 revisited 2015: Still a touch hot!

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

12oz bottle from my favorite MI trader.

Pours a murky chestnut brown with a small beige head that recedes to a small collar and leaves no lacing, just some boozy legs clinging to the side.

Aroma is massive and spectacular. Where to begin - sweet caramel malts, vanilla, coconut, toffee, tobacco, leather and sugar-coated dark fruits. Let alone the bourbon and oak which integrate into the rest. Whoa.

Taste is just as impressive with an initial sweetness from coconut, caramel malts and dark fruits - raisins and figs. There is also an underlying earthy leather character. The finish is just decadent with toffee, vanilla and a nice bourbon burn with spicy oak thrown in.

The mouthfeel is smooth and dessert-like, thick and sweet with minimal carbonation but plenty for the style.

This is an exceptional beer, decadent, complex and wonderfully balanced for such a massive beer. One of the best beers I've had in recent memory...possibly ever.

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a deep caramel brown with a very small head that dies quickly to a collar.

The aroma is very rich with caramel, toffee, nuttiness, booze, and sweet dark fruits. Absolutely luscious and decadent.

The flavor lives up to the aroma. Wow, this is quite good. Rich toffee and oak up front with a burning booziness in the back of the throat that reminds you of the huge ABV. This is big, bold, and unapologetic but not messy.

The body is medium to full and carbonation is low but still somewhat prickly.

Overall this beer is phenomenal, no doubts about it. I'm not sure it is really an improvement on the regular 4th Dementia, but rather an equally good but different beer.

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%

Served on tap at Kuhnhenn in a tulip.

Appearance: Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia is bistre in color with walnut edges. A small off-white head starts firm, then fades to mostly a ring. Not much lace, but the head reaffirms itself with each sip or swirl. Not a ton of lace expected here with such a big ABV.

Smell: Great aroma, there is no doubt about it. Tons of molasses, plums, raisins, fig, caramel, and dark roasted malts. Bourbon and oak just add another level of complexity, although each aroma is easily identifiable in its own right.

Taste: Once I smelled this, I figured the taste would be incredible, and it does not disappoint. Just tons of flavor throughout each sip. The bourbon barrel aging interacts perfectly with the original beer. Very complex. Caramel malt is the first flavor to be noticed, and then an bourbon burning that is present throughout. Sweet molasses and roasted malt, figs, and plums provide the sweetness. Light earthy hops, then oak, smoke, and a touch of bourbon to finish. Very satisfying.

Mouthfeel: The creaminess is immediately noticeable, with the body of the beer quashing the carbonation. Alcohol warms the throat and stomach throughout, and the lips are left a little bit sticky. A very full body.

Drinkability: Barrel aging claims another victory. It just made a great beer even better. Obviously a sipper, but I would be satisfied sipping this for a long time.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

My only beer that I had while visiting Kuhnhenn on 01/07/11 before I went back to Chicago. Figured I might as well go all-out, since this was my only pour. Served in a snifter, from notes.

A - Pours a mirky reddish/brown, half a fingers-worth of off-white head with some larger bubbles here and there on top. After the initial pour, there's no lacing a some random bubbles and a thin film on top.

S - Burnt sugars, candy, bourbon, oak, dark fruits, bourbon, malts and more bourbon. It's not overly sweet and not too boozy. I was very surprised how balanced this one was, especially with very little aging.

T - Very much similar to the nose. Bourbon, burnt sugars, candy, oak, roasty malts. Again, nothing overpowering each other here...everything is working well together. I wouldn't say there's no booze coming through, but not 13.5% worth.

M - Medium to full, rich and smooth, drinks like a fine spirit.

D - It took me an hour to finish my pour, but I really took my time to enjoy it since it was my only beer of the visit. It was excellent on-tap and I'm looking forward to cracking a bottle in the near future. A must-try!

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle purchased at the 2010 Winter Solstice Party. Served in a New Belgium tulip.

A - Pours with a dime of off-white foam that settles to a thin ring and some filmy haze on top, but no lace. Nearly opaque dark brown body.

S - Earthy bourbon, dark fruits, oak, vanilla, some grape and dark fruit sweetness. As it approaches room temperature it grows slightly fusel, but it's not unexpected considering this is over 13%.

T - Bourbon, vanilla, raisins, brown sugar, and shockingly well-hidden booze. From taste alone I would never guess this was as strong as it is. It's essentially a reference quality barrel-aged old ale.

M - Medium-full body, some expected warming of the throat. Finish is surprisingly clean and doesn't feel syrupy or cloying. Carbonation is quite low, but style-appropriate.

D - Splitting a 12oz bottle three ways was an appropriate serving, although I could probably tackle a bottle on my own if I was feeling ambitious. This should cellar extremely well and should only improve with age.

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%

On two at the winter solstice (off notes)

Appearance- very dark in a snifter off the pour. Minimal head. A beautiful beer

Smell- bourbon... First and foremost. Sme maltiness coming through. Smells a bit boozy

Taste- smooth bourbony goodness with lots of malt following. Very very tasty

Mouthfeel- thick and very smooth. Very good mouthfeel

Drinkability- fairly drinkable for the high alcohol cotent. Very good

4.64/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz bottle into my Darkness snifter...Ugly medium brown pour that is muddy and gross. A creamy light tan head rises about two fingers, decent retention, not much lacing...The aroma is fantastic, strong, complex and balanced. A malty brown sugar backbone with notes of bread, maple syrup and vanilla, balanced by smooth oak, bourbon and a little alcohol...The taste sweet but alcoholy. Very malty, lots of bread, vanilla and brown sugar. The bourbon is very strong here as well as the oak. The feel is very hot, especially as you swallow, warming and comforting but also a little annoying.

I really like this one search this out, so flavorful yet easy to drink at 13%.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

Huge thanks to my brother for picking this up for me at the release! This is the 2010 version.

A: The beer is a medium brown in color and has very little head. Actually just a swirl of bubbles after a few seconds.

S: The smell is great and is of bourbon, vanilla, brown sugar, and a little bit of dark fruit.
All of the notes come together well.

T: This beer is very rich and complex. There's bourbon, burnt sugar, brandy and a little bit of cherries and raspberries deep down. There's a bit of alcohol heat but not much.

M: I thought that this was just about spot on. There's a very appropriate level of carbonation, and a great aftertaste. The beer sits on the tongue well.

D: For a high ABV beer this has excellent drinkability. It went down easy and I could have easily had more of this. I don't really know what to compare this beer to, as I've never really had anything like it. More brewery's should experiment with a bourbon aged old ale.

4.17/5  rDev -7.3%

Enjoyed on cask at the brewpub, courtesy of the owners. This aged in bourbon cask was rich and thick. The aromas were delightful, and that carried even more so in the taste, which demonstrated wine and cognac notes. I would love some of this after a special supper. Thick carmel body. Reddish brown.
Just as great on tap, a year later at Winter Solstice. Thick, incredible bourbon aroma, rich taste, magnificent. Somewhat on the sweet side though.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

A big, huge thanks goes out to Jay for hooking me p with this one. I had been on a mission to track down this as well as the Barley wine for quite some time, and it was just utterly fantastic to be able to try them both in the same week. Served at cellar temperature and poured into an over sized wine glass. This one was consumed on 08/07/2008.

The appearance was ominous. A deep, dark brown. color emerged almost immediately. Entirely opaque, except for a few hints of light on the sides and bottom that showed off a bit of a reddish hue. The head was small, maybe an inch at first and then settling down to about a quarter of an inch, but it did have a tremendous amount of coating effect on the sides of the glass.

The aroma was just spectacular. Lovely hints of vanilla and bourbon, swirling around with caramel, roasted malts and a deep, sweet profile. Enormously complex, it was hard to put the entire thing into context, decadent is a good word. This followed along the flavor as well. Lots of lightly blended bourbon flavors, nothing over the top or really heavy, this was wonderfully accented, and essentially perfection. Started with a rolling touch of caramel, and sugary roasted malts that were accented by touches of vanilla and oak. Hints of some earthy, touches rolled into it as well. Long lasting flavor of bourbon, with a touch of peppery spice on the finish. Luscious Mouthfeel was really just the icing as it came off full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. A smooth sipper, this was easily the nightcap on the evening and needed to be enjoyed over the long haul which It was.

Overall this was fantastic. My first two BA beers from them have both been two of the best I haev ever had. They really know what they are doing with this one. To be honest I have to score this high, as I really have had maybe one or two beers that I truly liked better then this in the style at all. Damn near perfection and something I would only wish I could get again. Hopefully I can trade for another bottle.

3.99/5  rDev -11.3%

A- Pours a deep, murky brownish hue with no head whatsoever.

S- Smell is huge. Mixed dark fruits, raisins, figs, brown sugar, possibly a hint on bourbon on the back end.

T- Taste is gigantic deep and dark with plenty of raisin and fig notes with a vinous quality to them. Ends very full with lots of bourbon.

M- Thick and sticky with very little carbonation.

D- Honestly, I liked kuhnhenn's bourbon barleywine a lot better. This reminded me a lot more of extaneous ale and was a little over the top for me.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

12'er. Big time nose of raspberry covered chocolate, caramel, toffee, vanilla, bourbon and charred wood. Dark color. Extremely complex malt and yeast character with an array of caramel, chocolate and fruit-like flavors then on top of all that, it has an intriguing barrel character as well that just takes it to another level. Damn good beer.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Picked this up at the winter solstice release at the end of 2006.
Very dark brown, mahogany edges with a fine beige cap and lots of spotty, streaky lacing. Tons of caramel and toffee with a rich earthy/oaky aroma. Some vanilla and raisin, mild booze. Balanced bitterness keeps the big malty sweetness in check. Caramel and toffee, mild woody character, tootsie roll, some chocolate character. Amazing, rich flavour. Full bodied, low carbonation makes it a little heavy, smooth texture. Kuhnhenn has a knack for making big beers extremely drinkable. The barrel aging didn't overpower the base beer, which I found really appealing, while adding a new complexity to a great old ale.

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company