Kuhnhenn DRIPA (Double Rice IPA) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn DRIPA (Double Rice IPA)
No picture.

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-25-2007

This gold colored West Coast style Double India Pale Ale has an intense hop nose, with aromas mainly of citrus. The high hop character dominates this IPA’s flavor profile. Made with American long grain rice, it is quite difficult to make but the rice contributes to this beer’s crisp aftertaste.
4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance: Deep golden - Just slightly darker than pilsner color. Deep golden yellow. Not much of a head, but incredible lacing.

Aroma: Huge citrus, tangerine and orange in particular, and tropical fruit. The aroma is huge and inviting. A touch of onion with very minimal malt character

Taste: Straight bitter citrus peel and citrus fruit. Hints of tropical fruit, but this is a tangerine/orange driven IPA. I'd be really shocked if the Citra hop wasn't somewhere in the hop bill. Malt is just enough to keep this in check and the rice makes it feel like a 7% beer. Incredibly easily to drink. I'm absolutely in love with this beer.

Mouthfeel: Has the feel of a 7% beer despite being 9.5%. Wonderfully dry and fruity finish. Despite the big flavors, the palate is never fatigued. Medium carbonation and medium bitterness. Maybe the most drinkable 9.5% beer ever. Just wonderful.

Overall: Not sure I've ever had a better imperial ipa. Between the big flavor and the light mouth feel, totally what I'm looking for in the DIPA style.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

32oz growler from IAmJacksHopTongue (thanks man, awesome surprise!). Served in a Barrel and Barley teku.

Pours a bright, clear golden yellow with a finger and a half white head. The froth settles to a thin wisp of a ring. Scattered dots of lace adorn the sides of the glass by the end.

Bright, inviting aromas of oranges, cracker, lemon, grapefruit and caramel. Those wonderful citrus notes leap from the glass to fill my nose with every sip.

This has citrus hop flavors galore. Orange pulp, grapefruit, lemon zest, floral bitterness, light pine, cracker and just a hint of pepper. Any alchohol is masked by the cornucopia of delightful hop goodness, making this dangerously easy to drink for its 9.5% abv. Utterly delicious.

Crisp, medium feel with fluffy carbonation. The beautifully bittersweet citrus hop finish lingers on the tongue.

This is my first hop trip with Kuhnhenn and I must say that it is truly outstanding. A beautiful imperial IPA in every aspect. Long before the end of my first pint DRIPA had made it on to the very short list of my favorite DIPAs. Seriously, try this if you can.

4.79/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Incredible beer that I just so happen to live within a twenty minute drive of, I sure wish they bottled this stuff. Smells very much like a west coast ipa with a nice malt finish and citrusy hops. One of the best double ipas I have ever had and honestly only Sip of Sunshine tops this. Heady Topper is not anywhere near this one. Incredible.

4.74/5  rDev +10.7%

The first time I had this was actually on tap at the Park Bar in Detroit. It pours a golden amber color with quite a bit of haze, foamy white head that lasts for a while, at least halfway through. It was served in a translucent, plastic cup, but looking from the inside reveals that there is indeed some incredible lacing cascaded down the sides.

The nose is absolutely wonderful; juicy citrus, grapefruits, tangerines, lemon zest, herbal tea, dank hops, floral, resinous, oily, pine needles. Quite a collage of aromas that typically comprise many world-class DIPAs - masterfully done. Even though you fully expect a DIPA to be a hop-forward, aggressive beer, the actual aroma and flavor profile can vary quite a bit. This one takes the citrus-heavy, pine needle approach - probably my personal favorite, and I'll be damned if this aroma doesn't deliver the message perfectly. Juicy, pungent, and full of itself - I started getting excited about this before I had even tasted it.

Much to my contentment, the taste is no slouch, either. Nothing more depressing than a beer with a great aroma and a lacking flavor profile - certainly not the case here. The pines and hop resins are a more powerful on the palate than the nose, but it balances with the citrus sweetness very well. Oily, dank, floral, piney, grapefruit rinds, oranges, and mangoes are all present in flavor. A surge of juicy fruits and pungent, resinous oils combines atop your palate and intertwines perfectly with the aromas that are still currently sifting through your nostrils.

Some very faint pale malt is detectable at the tail end with a slight hint of bread and yeast, but the aftertaste is mainly dominated by the bitter-sweet combo of citrus and hops. I'm thinking this faint malt flavor may be from the rice component of this beer. Otherwise, I don't really get much "rice" out of this; then again, what does rice really taste like? And how would it be detectable underneath this assault of citric hops? The finish is a mesh of sweet and bitter, with a touch of dryness and an elegance that leaves me thirsty for more. Medium-thick body, very slightly sticky but not too much, perfect amount of carbonation.

Wow, this beer really surprised me the first time I had it. I had put it off for so long, and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't get it earlier. One of the best DIPAs I've had, and something that I'll always order a glass of if it's ever being served. It's literally too good to pass up; this brew could easily swap punches with the big boys.

EDIT: 1/20/2013

Had a growler filled from Kuhnhenn and enjoyed it over the course of three days. I thought maybe the first time I had this beer I was overrating it, but upon having it again, my initial thoughts were confirmed. This beer is freakin' amazing.

EDIT: 4/24/2013

I've been seeing DRIPA everywhere around town more and more, and it seems like Kuhnhenn has been carrying it non-stop. I wonder if this is turning into a "year-round" for them? If so, that's fantastic news. This stuff continues to amaze me. I can't stop in at Kuhnhenn without getting a growler or at LEAST a pint of this stuff.

4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served on-tap at One-Eyed Betty's in Ferndale, Michigan.

I can see why this beer is as popular as it is. I can tell you that right before I even type up my review.

Appearance: A standard yellow color. Really no head to speak of, and some patchy lacing. Looks pretty good. Knowing what it contains is even MORE exciting... >:)

Smell: Mm. Sweet and delicious. No rice in the aroma whatsoever, just a lot of super fruity, bright hops.

Taste: Identical to the smell... but in taste form. 9.5%? Who the hell would guess that. No warmth, no taste, it's not there at all, at least not for me. Fruity hops with floral notes there as well. Surprisingly really not bitter, which I wasn't expecting. Impeccable balance. The feel is great as well ... super refreshing, no harsh carbonation, and dangerously easy drinking.

Basically, I can see why this beer has won so many awards. Of the flight I got, this is definitely my favorite of the six. Outstanding beer ... I'll get a pint next time I see this beer around. Awesome stuff .. a must try.

4.69/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A- Light yellow, very clear. Little to no head.

S- Citrus dominates, grapefruit, lemon. Clean and fresh.

T- Again citrus throughout. Piney resins come out from underneath. Then a warm hop aftertaste that has staying power. Love it!

M- Smooth crisp and refreshing. Well done.

O- Wonderful hoppy IPA. Easy to drink, for an IPA. Huge citrus notes throughout are favorable to my pallet. Very good/ exceptional beer.

4.69/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a clear light yellow straw orange color.

The aroma is just huge and amazingly dank. There huge sweet citrus. It's so deep and sweet. Super hoppy and fresh. What a killer aroma.

The flavor follows with huge grapefruit, pine, orange. There's tons of fruitiness of citrus and tropical fruits. Then there's a nice bitterness on the back of resin and pine.

The beer has a light body and a slight booze on the end. I don't really sense the rice other than the lack of big caramel malts and the light body the beer has. Despite the imbalance, it makes the beer actually quite refreshing.

The hop profile on this actually reminds me a lot of Enjoy By. Crazy enough, I actually really prefer this beer. What a fantastic brew. Must try.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Growler provided by Kirkfrailey.

Look: Clear amber body. White foamy head, that is sticky and clingy. The head reminds me of sea foam. Nice leg art is left behind as I drink this beer.
Smell: Sweet bread. The aroma is of lemon, lime, and citrus notes. Lemon cheese cake. A touch of caramel and honey. Malt sweetness.
Taste: Complex and deep flavors. Laid back, not so sharp citrus flavors, leaning on the lemon and lime. Lemon cheesecake. Lower level of bitterness. Fresh baked white bread with caramel and honey. Throw in a touch of old ale.
Feel: Smooth medium body. Low to medium level of carbonation. A little tackiness in the mouth. This beer creates a sense of warmth below the neckline. Medium finish.

Overall - Unique. Big malts. English IPA(ish) or IPL(ish). A piece of art. World class in my book.

4.64/5  rDev +8.4%

One of my favorites.

Very nice Tulip pour. Light head, great clear caramel color with exceptional lacing.

Very hoppy nose. Just love the hops. Beyond that you get a good floral, citrus and piney finish. Lingers well on the palate.

This is one of my Kuhnhenn's favorites.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had on draft at kuhnhenn brewery in warren, mi.

A: tangerine straw yellow, great clarity with a tight solid white head of foam that disappears rather quickly.

A: smells of nice citrusy hops, little to no malt aroma present.

T: hops up front followed by a touch of just enough malt as it transitions back into a hoppy but refreshing finish.

M: medium bodied but its appearance suggests it should be lighter, easy drinking for such a big beer.

F: finishes clean with a solid hop bitterness that lingers.

Overall one of my favorite double ipa's of all time. Cheers

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

1807th review on BA
Growler to Kuhnhenn White Snulip

Thanks to Rudipatutie for this one.

App- When this glugged out of the plastic bottle I was a little nervous. The color looked right as it flowed. A deeper orange with some golds and yellows intermixed. A couple bubbles popped along the top and then BAM! A full 2 finger cracky, fluffy white head erupted from the bottom of the glass. A good amount of cling was there and the cascaded with each sip.

Smell- This was the only part of the beer that left me wanting more. A bit light with a certain grainy aroma due to the rice but smaller citrus notes and a small hop aroma were there.

Taste- This is one of those beers that actually made me say WOW. I was taken aback on the first sip of how good and how much I liked it. The citrus notes were there. Grapefruit, orange and a lemon tinge IMO. Translated over to the rice flavor and a crispness on a beer this size I havent tasted before. A nice balance and quite delicious.

Mouth- A delicious lighter medium body with a medium carbonation. Creamy, lush, crisp. Actually one of those to where its a new experience for me. Lovely.

Drink- This was just a great DIPA. Quite different and unique and delicious all at the same time. Slow to develop in the glass, but a great sipping beer with a lot of layers and a crispness I wasnt expecting. Thank you again Rudi.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

at Kuhnhenn served in a 10 oz snifter

A - A pale golden body with a nice white 1/2" head. the head rapidly diminshed to a very thin cap, there was minimal lacing.

S - light citrus a bit of pineapple and a touch of pine but nothing overpowering, actually smells a bit sweet.

T - the taste is opposite of the smell, a nice pine note with just a hint of the citrus and then a nice malty finish.

M - well carbonated and there is a bit of the resinous pine aftertaste, the body actually seemed light I'm guessing that is from the rice but its really smooth and drinkable.

O - This was an excellent beer, too bad they don't bottle it. It was well balanced and availbale in Growlers. Next time will take a Growler home. I think if they actually distrubted this beer it would be pretty sought after.

4.58/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent beer. Was able to try on draft a few weeks ago at Kuhnhenn's. Very clear yellow/orange in appearance. Wonderful aroma. Taste was delicious also. Not my favorite DIPA but very solid. I wish KB would bottle this beer.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from the tap a slightly hazy golden brown with two fingers of rich off-white head.

The aroma was boozy and sweet with light floral hops and big orange and grapefruit.

This one is sugary sweet, damn near too sweet, with caramel malts and loads of orange. The 10.5% alcohol is definitely there.

Medium bodied and dry with moderate carbonation.

This is one big hoppy monster with a sweet tooth. Perhaps a touch of aging might make this terrific beer even better. If that's possible.

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the brewery.

A: Bright yellow golden body - completely translucent. Small fizzy head, fades into virtually nothing, but leaves a sticky memory of the head as it slides down the glass.

S: Basically all hops and citrus fruits. Grapefruit, tangerine, some lemon, and oranges with a hint of passion fruit. The fruity hop aromas leave a very sweet aroma, but its not malty smelling. Nice.

T: Follows the nose. Very hop forward. Tangerine and mangos seem to be the dominant fruity tastes. Not overly bitter - like the bitterness of a grapefruit, but the not bitterness of grapefruit rind. Very little malt backbone, which is surprising for the ABV.

M: Medium body. Not boozy - actually hidden very well, but becomes a little more evident as it warms. Prickly, sticky, wet.

O: A great first Kuhnhenn experience at the brewery. An awesome DIPA. It's a shame I cant get Kuhnhenn in Cincy, but also makes these trips to the brewery so much sweeter. Growler pours for $17 - cant beat that.

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the brewery

A- A Deep yellow straw with great clarity and a thin layer of white head.

S- Lots of bright citrus and pine. Grapefruit and tangerine with dank pine.

T- Nice bitterness, seems around 70 or 80 IBUs. Get some of that pine in the aroma and the citrus as well. The 9.5% comes through more as it warms but for most of the drink it is very smooth.

M- Medium with a high degree of drinkability for the ABV, a very dangerous beer.

O- A very easy drinking IPA with great citrus and pine notes. One might be skeptical of a "rice" IPA but the rice really seems to help with the crispness of this beer and really lets the hops shine. Every few months or so I visit friends in metro Detroit and we always make sure to stop by Kuhnhenn and this is always the first beer we get. Can't wait til the brewery expands and bottles of this stuff are easier to obtain.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

From a growler from the brewery on 8-17-10

A- amber yellow, transparent, about a finger of head, ok lacing

S- very floral, and some citrus

T- good malt backbone followed by a nice bitterness, as you would expect

M- leaves the mouth a little dry

D- I could have several of these

I love the dipas from Kuhnhenn. This is reminds me of a 2 hearted with more heat. MI brews rule!

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought at The Beer Baron in Burton MI. $18.00 for a 64oz growler. Poured first rate with a tube and fresh cap and tape.

A- Lovely golden colour. As typical for a growler that has been bounced around a bit there wasn't much crack to the cap nor foam however I am rating it based upon what I tasted in the bar.

S- Hoppy good! So airy and light at the same time, interesting

T- WOW this one is dry and hoppy. So refreshing. Can't even find the 9.5% at the beginning. Extra hops, extra goodness.

M- Dry, dry, dry. The rice dryness just shines through

O- Excellent! Will try again when I see it

Overall an excellent IPA!

Sorry, no food match on this one :(

Thx for reading

Got this one in a deal with splax23, thanks Adam

Picked this one because it looked super interesting, DIPA with Rice? Sounds cool.

A - Pours hazy golden yellow. Has the look of an awsome DIPA/IPA. Decent lacing, makes me want to dive right in.

S- Lots of fruit here grapefruit, mango, oranges, bit of rice...reminds me of some of the greats of this style.

T- Getting mostly the grapefruit, citrus, rice. Bit of malt in the middle, very very good.

M- Bitterness sticks to the palate a bit, the rice takes a bit of the egde off but still awsome.

D- 10.5% seriously? No way. Downing pints of this one with no issues. Was kinda confused when I saw this one is 10.5%, feels like a typo.

This beer was definitely awsome. Very impressed. Not sure why this one doesnt get more buzz. Im not really a hophead, but the taste cant be denied. Wish this one was more readily available.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this on tap at Kuhnhenn. It was a 10 oz. pour in a small tulip glass.

Appearance: Arrived a pleasing, mildly hazy toffee brown with some nice tints of amber and red. It had about one and half fingers worth of creamy beige head. The head stuck around most of the way through and left some awesome looking circular wisps of lacing.

Smell: Not surprisingly the aroma is dominated by big time, in your face hops. Picking up on a lot of grapefruit and citrus and some fantastic tropical fruits. There's also a good dose of floral, resiny pine. Lingering in the background is a sweet note that reminds me of the honey in HopSlam, but is most likely from the addition of rice.

Taste: Again the hop presence on this is just awesome. It's super fresh and juicy. The concentration here is more on explosive aroma hops versus bittering hops. It's not a palate scorching IBU monster. This is just huge on the grapefruit, tropical fruits and citrus from the smell. The floral resiny notes come in after that. In the background there's the same enjoyable sweet note from the rice. There might be a touch of biscuit-like malt deep down, but it's too overshadowed to mean much.

Mouthfeel: Body is about a medium with a spot on amount of carbonation. It's got an exceptional creaminess to it with a bit of resiny tongue coating oiliness. The finish is extra crisp which I again chock up to the rice.

Drinkability: I think this may be one of the few DIPAs that didn't completely put me into a hop overdose after the first glass. It's definitely got a huge hop presence, but something about it makes me want more. The addition of rice was borderline genius on Kuhnhenn's part. Also the 10.5% ABV never showed itself.

When I was at Kuhnhenn me and my friends sampled pretty much every beer they had in some form or another and this was the standout favorite for everyone. Including one guy who is just scratching the surface of standard IPAs. This is truly a world class DIPA and I can only hope they decide to bottle this stuff at their Summer Solstice.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

On draft at Barcade, Brooklyn, NYC.

Poured a medium copper hue with a half finger frothy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a high octane spicy and orangy hop resin.

The taste was a full blown fruity orange hop with a clean malt.

The mouthfeel was toward the softer side of the style potentially due to the rice.

Overall a very nicely done DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Picked up a 64oz growler of this locally a few hours ago. Enjoyed from a kuhnhenn tulip.

A - brew poured a murky light yellow orange with a few fingers of white foamy head that dissolved leaving really chunky lacing.

S - very nice sweaty sticky piny hops. Great citric kick with undertones of lemon and orange, but leads with sweaty hops. Really nice.

T - taste is much like the nose, thick sweaty hops with a dulling bitterness in the background. Wonderfully tasty and fresh. Looking forward to the big growler full and possibly re-upping on this one while in town.

M - medium bodied, not all that bitter, relatively crisp. The only sign of the booze is the tingle left in my mouth.

O - overall hell of an IIPA. Sweaty hops is the angle on this one, but tasty as hell. Another fine brew from kuhnhenn. Who knew that they kill it with ipas too! If you can get this one, seek it out.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Kuhnhenn has become a staple in the local bars across Southeast MI for me since DRIPA has been available. A double IPA done right. Clean finish that doesn't leave your mouth coated with too much pungency of over-flavoring. A well rounded hop balance reveals a connoisseur level of care from the brew-master followed by a citrus that helps mask the expected high ABV of a double India Pale Ale. My only downside is that I always am served a snifter and would prefer to go to Warren and pick up a growler!

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Shared with JLindros. Received as an extra in s trade.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a nice crystal clear golden hue with a nice one finger head that fades to leave light white lacing and a thin blanket.

S - Aromas of a nice glorious tropical notes, pineapples, passion fruit, light citrus, maybe some mango, tons of pineapple though. Tropical fruit salad.

T - Taste is nicely musty with really nice tropical notes. Not sure if I could say this was rice based, but I know there something unique on the finish. Great tropical hops, wonderful pineapple notes, light malts, not much citrus mostly just pineapple with flashes of passion fruit.

M - Mouthfeel is great, not a lingering bitterness this immediately ends crisp. Awesome!

O - Overall this beer was just awesome, so much pineapple and such a fun crisp finish. Excellent!

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Short Review, I've had this beer many times and I always enjoy it, pretty much every time I see it on tap I have one. I just love the hop profile and mouthfeel, it makes for a great and somewhat unique DIPA. While it may not be my favorite Kuhnhenn beer it is my most drank beer from them and I will continue to enjoy it. Nothings better than having DRIPA on tap at the source.

Kuhnhenn DRIPA (Double Rice IPA) from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company