Kuhnhenn DRIPA (Double Rice IPA) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn DRIPA (Double Rice IPA)
No picture.

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-25-2007

This gold colored West Coast style Double India Pale Ale has an intense hop nose, with aromas mainly of citrus. The high hop character dominates this IPA’s flavor profile. Made with American long grain rice, it is quite difficult to make but the rice contributes to this beer’s crisp aftertaste.
Ratings: 854 | Reviews: 108
4.24/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Growler shared by GT2. Thanks man. The beer is light golden with a small white cap. The aroma offers fresh hops, tropical fruit. Smells great. The flavor follows suit, with notes of pineapple and mango. Light bodied with relatively low carbonation. Tasty!

---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

4.26/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Scoot1969 for this one. Growler. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a light pale color with a thin film of carbonation which recedes quickly to a ring. Pretty good retention and some arcs of lacing.

S: Delicate citrus hops are showcased, sweet tangerine and grapefruit.

T: Hop forward but a little caramel shows through, finishing with a mild bitterness.

M: Medium-light body and light carbonation.

O: Extremely drinkable, the alcohol is just not there. I don't know how this got classified as a DIPA, it reminds me of a hoppy pale ale.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

at Kuhnhenn served in a 10 oz snifter

A - A pale golden body with a nice white 1/2" head. the head rapidly diminshed to a very thin cap, there was minimal lacing.

S - light citrus a bit of pineapple and a touch of pine but nothing overpowering, actually smells a bit sweet.

T - the taste is opposite of the smell, a nice pine note with just a hint of the citrus and then a nice malty finish.

M - well carbonated and there is a bit of the resinous pine aftertaste, the body actually seemed light I'm guessing that is from the rice but its really smooth and drinkable.

O - This was an excellent beer, too bad they don't bottle it. It was well balanced and availbale in Growlers. Next time will take a Growler home. I think if they actually distrubted this beer it would be pretty sought after.

4.13/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a snifter glass. Freshly poured into my growler, less than ten minutes ago.

Appearance: Strong gold with little bubbles on the body. White head settles with very even lacing, initially off a hard pour maybe 1/3".

Smell: Honestly from the beginning it is good, but it is a light light hop scent. I want more, I love DIPAs and this one is light in the category.

Taste: A very beastly taste that is incredibly complex, has a bit of sourness to it with heavy hops that creates strong but smooth biiterness. Grapefruit skin feel that feels a bit heavy, still very very good. Honestly I think that's what helps this beer. It adds a rough sweetness to the brew

Mouth: Medium, with very hoppy and slightly dry after taste. Sticky too, no complaints at all.

Overall: A monster beer, and would love to keep buying it as long as it is around. Easily one of the smoothest but hoppiest beers I have had. I am very particular to Double/Imperial IPAs and try to keep having as much as I can. Unlike most others DIPAs this one, from the begining feels "light", its the second half of the glass is where the appreciation of the brew comes from. Drink and enjoy....trust me, Salud!

4.34/5  rDev -1.4%

Had this at Kuhnhenn's on tap, than took a growler home to enjoy for a few days.

A- Pretty standard. Nice orange-yellow hue, white head
S- Amazing. So much citrus that I don't even know what is what. Orange, pineapple, grapefruit, and other fruits I don't know.
T- Not as strong as the smell, which was just slightly disappointing to me. But same flavor qualities as taste, a lot of citrus. I also got a strong piney taste, especially on the back, and some small spices notes, coriander, basil maybe?
M- Pretty good. Medium bodied, a little bitter at the end.

O- Pretty great beer. I personally would have liked a bit more spice on the taste to balance out the citrus, but I loved it. Made for a great growler to enjoy at home.

4.74/5  rDev +7.7%

The first time I had this was actually on tap at the Park Bar in Detroit. It pours a golden amber color with quite a bit of haze, foamy white head that lasts for a while, at least halfway through. It was served in a translucent, plastic cup, but looking from the inside reveals that there is indeed some incredible lacing cascaded down the sides.

The nose is absolutely wonderful; juicy citrus, grapefruits, tangerines, lemon zest, herbal tea, dank hops, floral, resinous, oily, pine needles. Quite a collage of aromas that typically comprise many world-class DIPAs - masterfully done. Even though you fully expect a DIPA to be a hop-forward, aggressive beer, the actual aroma and flavor profile can vary quite a bit. This one takes the citrus-heavy, pine needle approach - probably my personal favorite, and I'll be damned if this aroma doesn't deliver the message perfectly. Juicy, pungent, and full of itself - I started getting excited about this before I had even tasted it.

Much to my contentment, the taste is no slouch, either. Nothing more depressing than a beer with a great aroma and a lacking flavor profile - certainly not the case here. The pines and hop resins are a more powerful on the palate than the nose, but it balances with the citrus sweetness very well. Oily, dank, floral, piney, grapefruit rinds, oranges, and mangoes are all present in flavor. A surge of juicy fruits and pungent, resinous oils combines atop your palate and intertwines perfectly with the aromas that are still currently sifting through your nostrils.

Some very faint pale malt is detectable at the tail end with a slight hint of bread and yeast, but the aftertaste is mainly dominated by the bitter-sweet combo of citrus and hops. I'm thinking this faint malt flavor may be from the rice component of this beer. Otherwise, I don't really get much "rice" out of this; then again, what does rice really taste like? And how would it be detectable underneath this assault of citric hops? The finish is a mesh of sweet and bitter, with a touch of dryness and an elegance that leaves me thirsty for more. Medium-thick body, very slightly sticky but not too much, perfect amount of carbonation.

Wow, this beer really surprised me the first time I had it. I had put it off for so long, and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't get it earlier. One of the best DIPAs I've had, and something that I'll always order a glass of if it's ever being served. It's literally too good to pass up; this brew could easily swap punches with the big boys.

EDIT: 1/20/2013

Had a growler filled from Kuhnhenn and enjoyed it over the course of three days. I thought maybe the first time I had this beer I was overrating it, but upon having it again, my initial thoughts were confirmed. This beer is freakin' amazing.

EDIT: 4/24/2013

I've been seeing DRIPA everywhere around town more and more, and it seems like Kuhnhenn has been carrying it non-stop. I wonder if this is turning into a "year-round" for them? If so, that's fantastic news. This stuff continues to amaze me. I can't stop in at Kuhnhenn without getting a growler or at LEAST a pint of this stuff.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at the brewpub for 2012 Winter Solstice, and many times over at other times.

Hazy straw yellow great lacing and retention. Nose is weed, citrus zest in the form of oranges and clementines. Taste has more weed, herbal notes and citrus zest. Powerful dank and citrus character through and through. Medium body and medium high carbonation. Excellent, one of my favourite DIPAs.

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours hazy gold color with a creamy 1 finger snow white head that faded slowly and left great lacing clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smells of huge citrus hops up front, with grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, lemon, orange, tons of citrus, caramel, grains or rice (in this case), and light floral hops or herbal spice notes; basically this is all citrus hops, and very sweet with a nice soft citrus hop nose that was very enjoyable.

Tastes like it smells, with huge citrus hops up front including grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, lemon, orange, guava, floral hops, flowers, caramel, pine cone/piney hops, grains/rice, herbal spice notes like coriander, cinnamon and spruce, and some minor alcohol that brings some light heat; the aftertaste is where the rice kicks in and leaves your mouth basically dry after the hop bitterness subsides. It’s a clean hoppy sweetness that seems like it goes from tart citrus to evaporation in a few seconds, and was pretty cool to experience.

Mouthfeel is creamy and almost slick, with a medium body, very light carbonation and a bitter citrus finish that turns to a clean rice dryness.

Overall feel and experience was very good, it’s a really unique beer because it’s not well balanced due to the lack of a malt backbone yet it’s extremely easy to drink even with the high ABV. A quality beer that I recommend trying just to enjoy the massive citrus flavor followed by the clean rice finish that dries your mouth. Extra points for being so tasty using rice, a non-standard ingredient for an IPA.

4.27/5  rDev -3%

64oz growler out fo my Long Trail Brewmaster's glass.

A- A nice clear ambery yellow. Pours with a nice white head, and laces the glass quite nicely. Could be a bit brighter, but looks pretty darn nice.

S-I get a lot of citrusy smells, pineapple/tangerine and some balanced pine. It's pretty sweet smelling, but most of that seems to come from the hops.

T- A nice smooth initial flavor, with hints of grapefruit/pineapple and some malt. The hops start to move in a few seconds after with more piney notes, with some dry malty finish. There is a resinous piney aftertaste, but it is very well balanced. I get a little bit of the ricey flavor, but it would be hard to tell it was there if you didn't know it.

M- Pretty spot on. It could use a tiny bit more body, but the carbonation and mouthfeel are excellent. Nice aftertaste without overdoing it.

O- Overall this was an excellent IPA, full of nice fruity flavor with a balance of nice fruity hops. I honestly wouldn't have probably guessed this was an rice IPA. It could use a bit more malt to give it some backbone, but I would absolutely drink this one again.

-GFunk

On tap at j ryans

A- a golden orange body that is very clear with lacing trickling on the edges of the glass

S- big dark pine and citrus is shining through with pineapple. Very vibrant and hoppy

T- massive citric hops are rounded off by a smooth caramel malt flavor. Very flavorful and hides the alcohol well

M- good prickly flavor that stings your tongue

O- DRIPA is a spiky hop hit that clashes on your palate with piney resinous hops and good malty caramel flavor. Enjoyed this

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Deep golden - Just slightly darker than pilsner color. Deep golden yellow. Not much of a head, but incredible lacing.

Aroma: Huge citrus, tangerine and orange in particular, and tropical fruit. The aroma is huge and inviting. A touch of onion with very minimal malt character

Taste: Straight bitter citrus peel and citrus fruit. Hints of tropical fruit, but this is a tangerine/orange driven IPA. I'd be really shocked if the Citra hop wasn't somewhere in the hop bill. Malt is just enough to keep this in check and the rice makes it feel like a 7% beer. Incredibly easily to drink. I'm absolutely in love with this beer.

Mouthfeel: Has the feel of a 7% beer despite being 9.5%. Wonderfully dry and fruity finish. Despite the big flavors, the palate is never fatigued. Medium carbonation and medium bitterness. Maybe the most drinkable 9.5% beer ever. Just wonderful.

Overall: Not sure I've ever had a better imperial ipa. Between the big flavor and the light mouth feel, totally what I'm looking for in the DIPA style.

4.12/5  rDev -6.4%

A - golden with beautiful long lasting lace on the sides of the glass and a thin head remaining throughout.

S - wonderful citrus hops nose

T - well balanced hops bitterness with sweet floral and citrus notes

M - carbonation and alcoholic tingle on the tongue gives way to slightly viscous quality that leaves a pleasant hoppy flavor lingering on the tongue.

O - one of the best IPAs I've had. Balance is so critical in this style and it is well executed here. Great quaff.

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A good DIPA. Pours pretty and the nose is very fragrant and distinct. The flavor profile is very good, but I felt like it was a little bit too sweet at first, though that seems to mellow out as the beer goes on. The sweet tones combine with a bitter spicy hop tone. A bit too citrus toned, but it's still nice. A pretty easy drinking dipa. I was concerned when my growler seemed to be leaking, but this withstood the trip home. Whew. Lucky I am. A pleasure to drink. Are you jealous that I got a growler of this? I think you should be. Be extra jealous that I got a Kuhnhenn tulip.

3.95/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a golden straw color with a slight honey hue. The pure white head was short but dense.

The aroma is of citrus hops, juicy grapefruit. The malt is a non-factor. Nice simple aroma, all hops. The hops aren't crazy but its a nice aroma.

Grapefruit and grapefruit rind in the flavor. This transitions into a slightly pine flavor but not palate wrecking. The malt takes a way back seat as the rice lightens up the brew and lets the hops shine. Nice hoppy flavor without going overboard.

The beer is light with tingly carbonation. The hops are mostly flavorful but add enough bitterness. Its actually nice to see a DIPA that is this drinkable. ABV nowhere to found.

This is a very nice DIPA. Good, not great, hop flavor but is crazy drinkable. Good show.

3.83/5  rDev -13%

Poured at Michigan Brewer's Guild in Ypsi. Light golden color with small white head. Aroma of big citrus fruits and lots of sweet honey, some graininess, and pineapples. Flavor follows with a nice sweet citrus profile, some additional tropical fruits, and a nice crisp bitter finish. Slick mouthfeel but pretty light for a DIPA, medium carbonation. Overall I liked this a lot, but not nearly as much as others seem to. I'll have to revisit this some time.

4.09/5  rDev -7%

Growler poured into a FFF Teku tulip

A - Light amber color with a slight yellow glow to it. The beer is lightly reflective and rather clean looking. Small white head that slowly dissipates.

S - Smells of lemon, pine, grapefruit and orange waft forward. There is also sweet tangerine that comes forward as part of the malt backbone to this one. Nose is rather fragrant and nice and complex

T - First, there is sweet mango and tangerine to it. Then, a good bitter pine and grapefruit kick comes in that delivers a nice hop presence to it. There are also hints of lemon peel that come through. The hops linger on the finish and it does have a nice crispness to it from the rice.

MF - Medium body with light carbonation and a light stickiness to it. Leaves a nice thick, hoppy resin that sits on the tongue well after th beer is gone.

O - Another solid offering from a brewery that rarely, if ever, disappoints. This is a good DIPA and I found that the rice added a nice crispness to the beer. However, if you didn't tell me it we brewed with rice I don't think I would have noticed.

4.07/5  rDev -7.5%

On tap at Ashley’s in Ann Arbor, poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L - Pale amber color with absolutely no head. After I drank a little, I shook it up a little to generate a little bit of a cream-colored bubbly head. I’m going to chalk the lack of head up to the way it was poured.

S - Tons of hops with grapefruit, peach, and mango notes. I can get a tiny bit of a grainy malt and rice aroma but this is mostly hops.

T - This doesn’t start sweet like most DIPAs I’ve had. It is bitter right off the bat with grapefruit, pineapple, peach, and mango notes. The finish has grapefruit and orange hop flavors and a little bit of a grainy taste, as well.

F - Light-to-medium-bodied with good carbonation, a sticky mouthfeel, and a very bitter and very dry finish. Bitterness lingers for a long time, as does a grainy, rice astringency. There’s a slight warming sensation from the alcohol.

O - This is a bitter bomb of a DIPA. Tons of hops in this one. I’m not really sure what the point of the rice was, though. In my opinion, it makes the mouthfeel suffer as it lightens the body and adds an astringency to the finish due to the rice crispness added on to the warmth from the high ABV. Besides that, the alcohol is hidden very well. Overall, this is a pretty tasty beer, and I’m glad I finally got to try something from Kuhnhenn.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a deep honey amber orange hue with a nice 2 finger that sticks to the glass very nicely.

I get a full hoppy nose with a slight citrus undertone.

What a nicely blended taste, great hops, citrus, sticky piney oil. Great balanced, a fantastic crisp rye finish.

Wonderfully brewed DIPA, just great balance and a fantastic crisp finish. Yet another fantastic brew from Kuhnhenn's.

Cheers!!

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Picked up a 64oz growler of this locally a few hours ago. Enjoyed from a kuhnhenn tulip.

A - brew poured a murky light yellow orange with a few fingers of white foamy head that dissolved leaving really chunky lacing.

S - very nice sweaty sticky piny hops. Great citric kick with undertones of lemon and orange, but leads with sweaty hops. Really nice.

T - taste is much like the nose, thick sweaty hops with a dulling bitterness in the background. Wonderfully tasty and fresh. Looking forward to the big growler full and possibly re-upping on this one while in town.

M - medium bodied, not all that bitter, relatively crisp. The only sign of the booze is the tingle left in my mouth.

O - overall hell of an IIPA. Sweaty hops is the angle on this one, but tasty as hell. Another fine brew from kuhnhenn. Who knew that they kill it with ipas too! If you can get this one, seek it out.

4.39/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours very cloudly golden color, nice head that fades rapidly to a covering.

S - Lots of luscious, tropic fruit aroma. Lychee, mango, passion fruit, along with some tart citric grapefruit.

T - The aroma translates to the taste, tropical fruit galore, sweet malt, but the citrus hops come on stronger at the end with some nice grapefruit bitterness.

M - Fairly thin for such a high gravity DIPA. I'd like a bit more carbonation since it is lighter bodied. Is it possible for a 9.5% beer to be refreshing?

O - Not the most attractive beer, but an amazing aroma and flavor. When I saw it was a rice beer...I almost didn't even give it a try, so glad I did. This is a great beer and talk about making great use of rice.

On draft at Blind Tiger.

Golden pour moderate white head. Interesting aroma combines the best qualities of a DIPA with sake. Taste is more subtle, but still excellent. Crisp, clean, refreshing. Bitterness is kept in check by the malt and rice. And holy crap, this is 9.5%?! Danger ahead!

Had a bunch of IPAs today; this was one of my favorites.

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 64oz growler into a SA Perfect Pint.

A: Pours hazy straw with a small cap of white head.

S: Big time tropical hops: pineapple, guava, mango. If I was a betting man, I'd say there was plenty of Amarillo late hops in this bad boy. Damn, does this smell good!

T: Tropical theme continues. There's a little bubblegums sweetness in the finish and it ends dry.

D: Goes down rediculously smooth. I could not belive my eyes when I discovered that this beer was 9.5% drinks like its 5.5%. Mouthfeel is thin, but I feel like that's what they were going for.

Overall: I haven't had much from Kuhnhenn, but if their other brews are anywhere near this good, I'll be buying a lot more in the future. Really tasty and dangerously drinkable DIPA.

On-tap at Ginger Man NYC.

A- Golden and slighty hazy into snifter. Small white head with low retention. Tiny ring leaves spotty lace.

S- Mostly just citrus hops. Notes of peach, lemon zest and juicy fruit.

T- A nice hop profile of peach, grass, lemon, citrus fruit and pine. Grainy dry feel and some yeast hints, spice and bread.

MF- Moderately carbonated body with a smooth silky feel. Finished a bit bitter and warmth.

The rice adds a unique but hard to describe feel, somewhat bitter and a bit cleaner.

4.03/5  rDev -8.4%

I had this on-tap at the brewpub. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with fluffy white head and good retention.

Smell: Citrus hops with an herbal note in there as well. There is a malt sweetness that carries through the finish.

Taste: Citrus and herbal hops. The taste isn't nearly as sweet as the smell, but the grain does show up.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a good DIPA. A bit light for the style, I'm not sure if that can be contributed to the rice. Really enjoyed the finish.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

From 09/26/11 notes. Had on tap at The Ginger Man, served side by side with the Kuhnhenn Silly Simcoe.

a - Pours a hazy dark golden color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Light lacing left on the glass and little head retention.

s - Smells of citrus hops, tropical fruits, mangoes, and light pine hops. A ton of fruit and hops in the nose, smells amazing.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, tropical fruits, pineapples and mangoes, pine hops, and fruity malts. Again, a ton of hops and fruit, and a little sweet, which is really nice. Light bitterness but not much. Really great.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Super smooth and creamy, and really easy to drink. I can't believe this is 10.5% ABV.

o - Overall I thought this beer was fantastic. It had a ton of fresh fruit and hops in the nose and taste and I was shocked how much tropical fruit came through in the taste. Would love to have this one again.

EDIT: 11/10/12. Not changing any numbers in my review but had this again today at Taproom 307 in NYC and it was just as amazing as last winter. Love this beer; hope they bottle it!

Kuhnhenn DRIPA (Double Rice IPA) from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company