Kuhnhenn Tenacious Cassis - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  15.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-18-2007

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

I had this once before at the Michigan Brewer's Guild Summer Festival, but resisited reviewing it due to my inebriation and the small sample size. Nevertheless, I knew it was the best beer i had at the fest and that i really wanted to try it again. Luckily, Konrad got me a bottle at their winter solstice, so i am in great anticipation.

Pours thickly, purple to brown in color with a slim ring of brown. Looks sultry and deep and heavy.

Odor is strong enough to catch whiffs of from a distance. Smells wildly of blackcurrants, small hints of alcohol. Candy-like children's medicine mixed with wine. Very inviting.

Taste is huge with a blast of blackcurrant syrup and lemony sourness/bitterness. This melds quickly into a strong alcohol and smooth creamy deep chocolate malts. Blackcurrant runs throughout and is complemented nicely by the chocolate and some toasty bread notes. Sweet and stong and warming.

Thick, like concentrated fruit juice, with a comfortable stickiness.

Overall, its a fantastic beer (i guess i knew that already, but this confirms it). I hope against hope that this becomes a regular bottled offering from Kuhnhenn, that it's distributed to the closest liquor store to my house for the rest of my life, and that the owner of the liquor store saves it in a back room for me.

4.87/5  rDev +20.5%

I just happened to be one of the out-of-towners sitting beside tangfoot when the Kuhnhenn Brother's father treated us to a little sneak peak of this gem. Comparable to the Raspberry Eisbock and that is saying a lot for me considering the Eisbock is the only beer I've ever given all 5's. I was hesitant to add the beer and my review because I wasn't sure of the name and whether it would be released. Seems I was beaten to the punch, aw nuts. Anyway...

This fruity concoction poured a woody brown/ruby with a creamy tan head that left thick walls of lace. I recall the anticipation well.

The aroma was unbelievable. Just like with the Raspberry Eisbock, I could have just sat and enjoyed the bouquet all afternoon. Thick crushed black currant. Spicy fruit; cherry and honey. Tart and juicy. Absolutely decadent.

The flavor was pure beer joy. Tangy and sweet. Very well balanced. Heavy, pungent black currant, citrus, black cherry, spice, and lots of dark fruit: fig, raisin, date. The fact that there was so much booze in there blew my mind. So well masked; just a hint of warmth in the finish. A syrupy, decadent sipper.

Thick, syrupy and fudge-like. Heavy and lingering on the palate. As I said, definitely a sipping beer. Some acidic tang but little carbonation. Coats the tongue in dessert-like goodness. I can't wait to get my hands on some more of this stuff. The second best fruit beer I've ever had; a close second and very comparable to the Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock. I have no idea how they do it, but lord do I hope they continue.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

A big, big thanks goes out to gory for sending this my way. I had a growler folks, and entire growler of this wonderful beer which I had the pleasure of enjoying over the course of the last few days. Always served around cellar temperature and consumed via an oversized wine glass. This one was enjoyed from 10/31/2008 until 11/03/2008.

The pour was full and wonderful looking. A deep, reddish brown was all over this one. Very hazy and cloudy look, nearly opaque as I really could make out next to nothing in the glass. Some very small reddish notes coming through around the sides and bottom of the glass. A smallish, off white head creeped up the side to a height of around an inch before settling back down to earth for the remained of the session.

The aroma was most unlike anything I had experienced before. Huge notes of fruit here, deep, dark berry like notes are all over the place. Small hints of caramel, toffee, and some light chocolate start coming through more and more s it warms up. This was amazingly complex I have to admit. Most unlike anything I have had in the past. Deep black currant and alcohol notes just jumping at me from all angles now. Really a very special beer. The flavor was simply amazing to say the least. Rich and beyond full, it transformed time and again as each sip came behind the next. Started with a rush of berries, very fresh, with a very nice tart finish to it. Some nice notes of chocolate and toffee then coming down the pike after that one. Some light notes of alcohol, but nowhere near as strong as I would have thought. Now by the time you reach the bottom of that glass and the flavor is almost at room temperature, well that is where it just starts to all fall together. Huge notes of chocolate covered blackberries, which were dipped in caramel and served with a side of grapes, just sublime. I really and truly have never tasted anything like this one before. It was just that good. Smooth and silk, with a luscious flavor to it that you really just cannot compare and a subtle carbonation that was just absolutely fitting for the style. A superb sipper, I think the most I found myself enjoying in an evening was about 20 ounces of it, which was a heck of a push at the time. But, I cannot think of anything in this high of an ABV that I would find more drinkable.

In the end, blown away. This was just absurd it was soo good. I would have no issue with trying this any day and in any way. It was just wonderfully put together and really just a great beer.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

4.64/5  rDev +14.9%

12oz bottle purchased at the winter solstice party dec 21/07. website shows 13.5% abv. sampled jan 13/08.

pours murky reddish brown with a few very fine tan bubbles that disappear almost instantly. no lace.

aroma is excellent. tons of fruit. blackberry, raspberry, currant, bit of cherry. alcohol. nice fruity and caramel sweetness. many cascading layers of fruit that just keep you going back for more.

wow, taste is excellent too. tons of fruit with a solid warming alcohol balanced against it. even more fruit in the flavour. along with the raspberry, blackberry, and currant there is also a nice strawberry character. my wife says it tastes like liquified wine gums. i get something more like those fruit juice gummies, the berry ones. low bitterness level. there's a nice dark chocolate character lingering back there too. just a hint of caramel sweetness, but nowhere near enough to make the fruit seem syrupy. light bread and cracker malt.

mouthfeel is good. low carbonation level. medium body holding things together well. fairly dry finish.

drinkability is great. at no point does the fruit overpower. the alcohol is mostly hidden, and what's there is nice. nice depth to the fruit too. a bit of a sipper, but i certainly enjoyed sipping on it over the afternoon. as it warms the alcohol comes out more, detracting from the drinkability slightly. might be better if this was in the smaller bottles they sell the eisbock in, or maybe for sharing with a friend. this one is definitely a winner.

4.64/5  rDev +14.9%

A huge thanks goes to Bret Kuhnhenn who pulled this out of the back for me.

Pours a deep dark crimson. A small tan head makes a quick appearence before leaving. There isn't much lacing or head with this high abv brew.

There is so much going on in the nose with this one it is hard to put into words. My first thought was fruit punch. It smells of raspberries, bread, brown sugar, and alcohol. The aroma is so strong I could smell it a few feet from the goblet I poured it into. Very enticing.

Upon first sip I was overwhelmed by the fruitiness of this beer. There are all kinds of berry flavors in this one. I am also hit with a grape-like flavor which is sweet and somewhat tart. Alcohol is evident in the finish but not unwelcome.

Wow, this is amazing stuff! I would love to drink this by a fireplace on a cold winter night, or while digesting a holiday meal with family. This is a definite sipper, I enjoyed it over the period of an hour. This beer is big and flavorful so one in a sitting is definitely enough. I only hope that this beer is more widely released. This is without a doubt one of the best and most unique beers I have ever had. Well done Kuhnhenn's!

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this 2007 vintage on a trip downstate at a gas station/inconvenience store. My eyes got wide as I have never had the opportunity to try any of Kuhnhenn's offerings. My eyes got even larger when I saw the price tag. Pours reddish brown in color with a small amount of carbonation that can barely pass for a head. The smell is a huge berry scent, chocolate and toffee. The mouthfeel is nice and thick with very little carbonation drinks more like wine than beer. The taste is tart and syrupy with dark fruits, blackberries, toffee and caramel. Drinkability is good, too bad this comes in a 6.3 oz bottle. I could have easily enjoyed 12oz of this over the course of an evening and loved every drop.

4.61/5  rDev +14.1%

This is my third time having this beer. I've had about a dozen of Kuhnhenn's beers which have ranged from good to outstanding. This is my favorate.

Poured from a 12oz bottle in a Corsendonk tulip. The beer is a dark brown, with maybe a finger of tan head. Held up to the light it is a very cloudy brown, but lets a fair amount of light through at the edges. The ordinary appearance belies the experience that comes next.

The smell is spectacular. I don't know of another beer that smells so seductive. Of course there is a huge smell of currants. But the malts also bring a lot to the smell. The beer *smells* sweet and almost chocolaty.

The taste delivers exactly what the smell promises. The currant taste up front blends perfectly into a *huge* malty taste in the middle. It's not as if one taste stops and the other starts, one flows into the next very fluidly. Bock bock bock bock bock. If you just crank up the flavors of your favorite bock to an obscene level, that's what this tastes like in the middle. And the finish lingers in your mouth beautifully. The sweet, somewhat choclaty taste stays in your mouth forever, begging you to drink more. Though not cloyingly saccharine like a lot of big beers, it is quite sweet. It works best as dessert. Imagine going to a restaurant which has a fantastic fruity, dark chocolate cake. One that's unbelievable rich. That's what this beer tastes like.

Which brings us to mouthfeel. The beer is just so rich and chewy, almost like it should almost be a dessert you're eating rather than drinking. The carbonation level is just right - enough to refresh and clean just a bit.

The drinkability is kind of ridiculous. No beer at 15% or 16% abv should be this easy to drink. The sweetness might stop you eventually, but this is more drinkable than plenty of beers in the 8% to 9% range. OK, maybe by the end of 12oz it is starting to be a bit much. I've been sipping on it for at least an hour, and as it warms the alcohol warming becomes more prominent. The new 7oz bottles probably are the right size. A splendid treat none the less.

Kuhnhenn, I hate you for raising the price of this beer, because it is totally worth the higher price.

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

I've had a few of these at the brewery, my first was after a Raspberry Eisbock, man do those two go together well! This is my first bottle. Man the aroma is wonderful, I've let it sit for a little and I keep getting a whiff - Wow! The aroma is currants and hints of raspberry. The head was mostly disappearing and the color is a very dark brown. The first taste is raspberry and currants and almost a chocolate (malty?) a little alcohol at the end nothing bad. Drink this slow to appreciate it. I've got seven more bottles to enjoy in the future - maybe every six months. Every sip I feel like I'm at the brewery! Just a damn good beer.

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottle shared by brian23456 at our battle of the 12ozers. Thanks Brian! 2007 vintage I do believe. Poured into a snifter:

A - Pours flat with tiny bubbles. Brown core, light caramel color. No lacing but nice legs.

S - Huge raspberries and cherries! Booze and sweet cream. Smells awesome!

T - Cherries, strawberries, cranberries, raspberries and chocolate. A bit of graham cracker and a small presence of cardboard/slightly bready. Some booze present.

M - Sweet and boozy but really smooth. Little carbonation.

D - A nice treat to drink. I wasn't expecting this at all but it turned out fantastic! Would love to get another bottle of this. It was amazing.

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz bottle into a Birra del Borgo tulip. Big thanks to both Chris and Tony for supplying yet another Kuhnhenn goody. You guys seem to be keeping this brewery afloat entirely by yourselves. That's a seriously wonderful decision.

A: Brilliant red-amber body; few bubbles, but lovely legs.

S: So rich. Bitter raspberry (which I guess is what cassis tastes like to me) and vanilla, caramel, toffee, and fruity booze. Amazing.

T: Pure, intense, sweet cassis, chocolate, vanilla, and booze. Highly reminiscent of KRE, and also incredibly awesome.

M: Full, sticky body, with surprisingly present carbonation in addition to some spiky alcohol heat.

O: Kuhnhenn has absolutely perfected the high-ABV fruit beer. While this one was clearly more fruit-forward than the Raspberry Eisbock (which very much focused on the chocolate + vanilla richness), it was equally admirable for its ability to pack both huge flavor and huge alcohol into a dangerously drinkable concoction. I'd take either one (or Extraneous Cassis, for that matter) over just about any dessert wine on the market. Fantastic beer.

Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a tawny brown color with garnet highlights; the modest head nevertheless leaves some lace behind

Smell: Tart aroma of currants with some chocolate undertones

Taste: At first split second, it is like liquid chocolate; only to be quickly overwhelmed by the tart currant flavors that build by mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavors blend together nicely into a lingering finish

Mouthfeel: Full body with gentle carbonation

Drinkability: Delicious in small quantities; marvelously complex; the abv was listed on this batch at 16.5%

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

On tap at the brewery, served in a small snifter. Dark purplish color with minimum head. Smell is all grapes and currants, very sweet, smooth, and intoxicating. Taste is the same, overloaded with sweet currant and grape with a nice mix of intense alcohol. Could be considered comparable to a carbonated dessert liqueur. It is delicious. This is a very unique beer that I'd recommend every beer lover try at least once.

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours to a deep blackish purple body. Head is a light brown even foam standing at an inch and fading fast leaving just a skim. Nose is decisevly grape based and oh so ripe. There are some raspberry notes also. Very very nice. Enters the mouth with brash robust rich dark fruits. There are some tones of ripe grape skins, raspberry jam, black licorice and burnt malt in the flavor profile. All of this is carried by an alchol feel that includes port and cough syrup. Mouthfeel is along the lines of grape meets licorice. At 12oz. you could probably share the bottle with someone as this is quite the sipper. Delecious and very unique.

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Courtesy of trade with brewdan...2007 vintage into Portsmouth snifter...all 6.3 oz. of it. What is that...200 ml? Nope...read the label, dickhead...187 ml...

Just like it's more famous brother KRE, it's turbid as hell. Looks like a still barleywine and then some. To say it's viscous - hell, it looks almost like turkey gravy. Is any of this a hinderance? Nope...actually, as it warms it looks more like toffee...

The black currants emit a huge tartness of dark fruits. There is a little cherry scent in the background, too...but those currants are awesome. Deep and heavy caramel malt and some solid oak character. Clearly Bizarro-world.

Man, this has a crazy tawny port feel. Sure, it's astringent and boozy, but there's a great woody barrel feel to it along with a little hop pine and a huge quotient of currants. It gets better and better with warmth.

Palate feel is very good. I like the tartness up against the huge toffee malt and oak barrel of it all. Finishes hearty for the burn. Hops? Sure. Somewhere. Maybe a little pine. Either way, this is right up there with KRE and then some. The tart makes this deal.

Thanks to brewdan, I had the opportunity to try both this and KRE. Y'know? I like this better. Really, I like them both. They both have very similar characteristics, but the cassis bring it over the raspberries. Both well-constructed, but this one wins out in the end. Well done. And not from a steak perspective. Well-constructed.

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottle thanks to Ryan Meray! 6.3oz bottle poured into my Narke tulip...Pours a really dark mahogany, bordering on eggplant purple. Not surprisingly, no carbonation. Comparing to other Kuhnhenns, specifically KRE, this looks a lot better...Awesome aroma that has a wonderful red grape backbone, freshly squeezed grape juice that I remember sucking down as kid. Complimented by toffee, syrupy molasses and vanilla. A hint of the 15% alcohol creeps in, but its used perfectly to break up the sweetness. Can't imagine a 15%, or beer with fruit smelling better...The taste lets me down ever so much, I think particularly because the alcohol is not as well hidden at all. The grape juice quality is still there but mostly only shows on the front. I get a ton of alcohol not bad grain, but just prevalent. There is a slight tart finish, blackberries are shown off in a great way, sweet but tart. Toffee, vanilla and wood come in too. There is a slight chalky taste and feel that is by biggest complaint, not sure if this has gotten old already!..The feel is warm, chalky and tannic. Slightly distracting...Pretty easy to drink for a 15th.

Another solid Kuhnhenn, I'd drink this again; I'd even track it down again.

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz bottle courtesy of masonjer poured into a snifter.

Pours a hazy reddish brown with a bubbly tan head that shows fair retention and leaves a solid collar and spotty lacing. There are definitely some boozy legs clinging to the sides.

Whoa, this aroma blew me away! Just massive currant aroma but with tons of brown sugar, caramel and chocolate. It smells like a chocolate covered fruit dessert...decadent nose.

The taste is more of the same with the currants dominating with a tart sweetness that lasts from start to finish. The big sweet sugary malt backbone is more than enough to support the fruit and the finish is almost like a tootsie roll...weird I know.

The mouthfeel is full bodied but with solid carbonation that keeps it from getting cloying or overly syrupy. The alcohol is definitely there. I'm not sure I'd peg it at 15%, but it has a solid burn going down.

I've been disappointed by a few infected Kuhnhenn bottles, but beers like this are what keep me coming back for more. If they could get their quality control issues under control, they'd be one of my top breweries without a doubt. I loved this beer.

4.51/5  rDev +11.6%

A thousand and one blessings upon the house of Artusory for the trade.

Pours a cola like dark brown, with a thin crust of off white foam, basically no head. The appearance is the only part of this beer that isn't superb.

The smell is unbelievable. I could carry a small snifter around and take a whiff now and then to cheer me up, if that wouldn't result in me continuously needing to assault those nearby who mock me. Currants, sour raspberries (?)/cherries(?) and chocolate abound.

The flavor is robust and a bit overwhelming. I'd say that one bottle is plenty for two people to split: this be a sipping brew. Reminds me greatly of the Eisbock: tons of dappled currants, some sour fruits (what are those? Raspberries?), and chocolate along with a definite alcohol burn. There's no way this is only 15%. It could pass for a currant flavored port.

Nice thick chewy mouthfeel.

Excellent.

4.51/5  rDev +11.6%

6.3oz bottle, 2007 vintage. I picked this up at Cloverleaf earlier this year, forgot I had it, found it deep in the cellar tonight. And here we are. The beer is a dark red shade of brown, transparent at the edges, with a thin ring of tan bubbles. The aroma is big-time fruit and toffee, apparently the fruit is cassis (never had cassis before to my knowledge). Very similar smell as Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock, I'm not sure but I'd guess much of the base beer is the same. I smell a little chocolate in there too, and maybe a hint of cheese. The taste is, if anything, better than the Raspberry Eisbock. This berry taste is key, also currant and chocolate, maybe a hint of cherry, and more than a hint of alcohol (but well integrated, it just adds some mild burn). Wow, really really good, with a mildly syrupy body and lingering chocolate candy aftertaste. A sipper, and 6.3oz is about enough. To be purchased again.

Kuhnhenn Tenacious Cassis from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company