Kuhnhenn Tenacious Cassis - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Tenacious CassisKuhnhenn Tenacious Cassis

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  15.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-18-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 147 | Reviews: 106
4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz bottle, think grub picked one of these up for me a couple years ago at the Solstice party.

Pours a murky ruby red, some purple highlights, medium sized tan head forms, drops to a thick ring, good amount of lace on the glass, especially for the ABV. Smell is wacky, but awesome, tons of blackberry, currants, raisin, raspberry, caramel, chocolate, biscuit, alcohol, very bready, licorice, brandy and port, tons of fruit, pretty crazy. Taste is great too, blackberries and currants, raspberries, caramel cake, very fruity, biscuit, alcohol, chocolate covered raisins, big licorice hit, candy, sweet in the finish, but pretty crazy stuff. Mouthfeel is medium to fuill bodied, very sticky feel to it, low carbonation, pretty great intensity of flavours, good stuff.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

12oz bottle split courtesy of Viggo - cheers for the treat and the great nightcap! No date or markings on the bottle but Viggo assures me this one has a couple of years on it.

Pours a dark brown, burgundy, plum -ish color with not much head to speak of, pretty placid.

Nose is a delightful bounty of fruits - currant, blackberry, raspberry dominate. Hints of raisins, caramel, and toffee.

This is big and bad like a barleywine and yet, with the fruity notes, adds to the complexity and depth. Raspberries, plums, hints of citrus, rich caramel, a faint hint of hops, more berries, brown sugar, bread, still some alcohol warming in the finish.

Such a smooth drink (aided by light carbonation) and yet it still has a hint of raw power after a couple years (it IS 15%!). Really complex and enjoyable if yet still a touch raw. Meant to blow the doors off rather than pick the lock. A terrific sipper, dessert, nightcap. Great brew.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

GLASS: Tulip
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
VINTAGE 2007
Super huge thanks goes to mjd83goblue for this one!

This pours a super dark (opaque) ruby color. It looks black, but if you backlight it, it's beautiful. A minimal head of light foam appears and quickly fades. There is no lacing to speak of, at all.

Beautifully huge nose, filled with currants. (Imagine that!) Both black and red currants are in this one, no doubt. I don't know if any other fruits are in here, but I'm getting good hints of blackberries and raspberries, also. A very light hint of caramel slips through. A mild alcohol presence is noticable, but at 15%ABV that's not surprising.
The nose is mostly about the delicious fruit scent, though.

The taste follows the nose quite well. The fruits hit you first, very sweet and with a touch of sour to provide some balance. Then they are followed by a nice, if mild, malt presence. Very nice caramel toffee notes, some light roastiness, a little bit of golden brown sugar, and a touch of smokiness. The finish is almost like a dry port. It's definitely still sweet, bet it feels like it trys to grab hold of your tongue and throat, like it doesn't want to leave your mouth. I love that about ports, and I love it about this.

I'd say that this one is medium bodied, but I'll also say that it feels very heavy, in your mouth. Nicely oily, it coats the pipes, all the way down...you can feel it. It has extremely minimal carbonation but it works for this one. Very smooth.

Despite the not so hidden 15%ABV, I find this quite easy to drink. I can understand that most people would be content with the 6oz bottles that it comes in. I'd like to have it in 12oz bottles myself, though.
This is really, really good.

3.87/5  rDev -4.2%

6.3 oz. bottle, 2007 vintage, into a tulip

Pours a deep mahogany color with a bit of a fizz of a head but that quickly goes away to nothing and obviously ends up leaving no lace.

Aroma is very sweet with blackberry and currants dominating. The booze is also a big presence. It smells good, but it's somewhat strange to me, almost artificial.

Taste is more of the same, huge sugary sweetness with lots of blackberry and currant but it's a bit more complex than the aroma and there are some bitter notes in the back end which add some more complexity.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, it comes across slightly thin and undercarbonated to me. It's not all that drinkable to me either, I'm glad it's in this size.

I was pretty disappointed by this beer. It was interesting, and I would drink it again if I had the chance, but ultimately I can't say I'd really want to go out of my way to do so.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

I picked this up on a trip to Detroit this past winter. Thought moving to my new job in Blacksburg, VA would be a good reason to finally crack it. Shared with bamadog, and I definitely couldn't have finished it myself.

Appearance: The pour into my snifter is a bilevel layered liquid. The top layer is a golden-brown shade, somewhat transluscent. The bottom layer is brown and hazy with reddish highlights. I imagine there's a separation of the huge amount of alcohol going on here. No head to speak of - only the faintest spots of tan lace bubble around the edge of the glass and along the sides.

Smell: Incredible and a little overwhelming. Sweet, juicy fruity berries blend with syrupy sticky malts and huge alcohol. I could get drunk just smelling this beer.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is tart-sweet cassis that presents like dark, syrupy raspberries - cloying. Tons of sweet, sticky caramel malt present the backbone, and join with a hint of bitter citrus hop, buttery grains and tons of huge, hot alcohol. The syrup tries to tame it, but can only do so much. I feel it in my chest. Feel is thick, viscous, and, did I mention, sticky.

Drinkability: Yea right...Anyone who can say this is highly drinkable, I applaud you. It is delicious, but I actually appreciate that Kuhnhenn's puts it in such tiny bottles because I shouldn't be drinking more in a sitting. It has got to be a health hazard (or fire hazard).

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Extra extra extra special thanks to Kels for splitting this bottle with me on a special occasion. This is one huge beer in a very tiny bottle... Poured into a tulip.

Appearance: It looks like an oil slick has been poured into the glass -- there is a ton of oily film that clings to the sides as the murky reddish toffee brown (it's hard to tell where one color ends and the next begins as there's sooo much sediment floating throughout the body to confuse the eye); no real head to speak of, but it's so viscous that there probably shouldn't be one, but there is a slim ring of foam that surrounds the surface.

Smell: At first it smells like a cherry cough syrup, but upon taking the time to put my nose into it, it is bombarded by some of the most wonderful smells ever to come from a beer: sweet fruits of the darker variety - currants, cherry-like, raspberries; deep malty smells follow suit and come across sweet and toasty and caramel and toffee-like; faint whiffs of alcohol manage to creep through the thick veil of fruits and berries.

Taste: Not much unlike the nose, the currants and deep dark berries dominate the palate, but it is soon followed by a wonderful toffee and caramel backing from the malts; definite presence of alcohol throughout and definitely leaves a strong and lasting impression on the aftertaste. Overall, this is one intense beer as the flavors are soooo powerful, there is no sense of subtlety whatsoever. Wow.

Mouthfeel: Quite hot -- the alcohol is quite hot in this and makes the mouth, throat and chest blaze; body is oily and leaves a thin lining in the mouth that makes me feel I could light a match in front of my face and breathe fire.

Drinkability: Sadly, it's low. This is an amazing beer with extreme flavors, but the ABV is way too high to even consider drinking one of the tiny bottles on my own. Part of me is very excited to visit the brewery and stock up on some of their brews, but at the same time, I know it will take me much of the rest of my natural born life to get through them due to the size. Well worth it, though, well worth it.

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this 2007 vintage on a trip downstate at a gas station/inconvenience store. My eyes got wide as I have never had the opportunity to try any of Kuhnhenn's offerings. My eyes got even larger when I saw the price tag. Pours reddish brown in color with a small amount of carbonation that can barely pass for a head. The smell is a huge berry scent, chocolate and toffee. The mouthfeel is nice and thick with very little carbonation drinks more like wine than beer. The taste is tart and syrupy with dark fruits, blackberries, toffee and caramel. Drinkability is good, too bad this comes in a 6.3 oz bottle. I could have easily enjoyed 12oz of this over the course of an evening and loved every drop.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

2007 vintage, purchased the the brewery. Served in my Foothills taster glass.

A - A dime of quick-dissolving tan head with minimal lacing and a small ring of bubbles. Attractive, transparent dark reddish-brown color, with a few bubbles lazily rising to the top. It's about as good as I can expect for a 15% brew.

S - Grape, currant, truffle, caramel, a hint of booze, Swedish berries candy - it's really potent and quite wonderful. The alcohol is shockingly understated for a such a high-gravity brew.

T - The taste maintains the same elements from the nose - lots of currant, caramel, berries, and truffles. The booze is a little more present, but not overwhelming. There's a slight bitterness to the aftertaste - almost like what you get from oak-aged brews.

M - Very low carbonation - almost juice-like, which is appropriate for the taste. Very smooth and warming. Again, style-appropriate, but nothing special.

D - The 6.3oz bottles of this stuff may even be a tiny bit much. A great dessert brew, or for a night cap. Not quite as good as the Raspberry Eisbock, but definitely worth trying.

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

On tap at the brewery, served in a small snifter. Dark purplish color with minimum head. Smell is all grapes and currants, very sweet, smooth, and intoxicating. Taste is the same, overloaded with sweet currant and grape with a nice mix of intense alcohol. Could be considered comparable to a carbonated dessert liqueur. It is delicious. This is a very unique beer that I'd recommend every beer lover try at least once.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

6.3 oz bottle
2007 Vintage
16.5% ABV

A- Poured like a soda with a quick to rise head that died off instantly. The liquid is a murky purple that looks kind of like a deep red wine. Pretty bland looking.

S- Oh my god. This is amazing. Loads of berries, some vanilla, alcohol, and a bit of funk. This smells more like candy than beer.

T- Startlingly sweet, lots of berries, vanilla, cinnamon. Oddly enough, it reminds me of waffle crisp cereal with some berries. This has aged kind of nicely, but the alcohol is just a bit hot- not surprising considering the ABV.

M- Very warm and dry. A clean aftertaste, but damn this is hot.

D- A huge sipper. This has blown my mind every time I have had it, but this time it is seeming extraordinarily hot tonight. Would make an excellent desert beer. I do admire this beer way more than this review gives it credit for, I don't really know how to explain it though.

4.19/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to hoppymeal for the opportunity to try this extreme beer. I had this one once before from a 12oz bottle and shared it with a few people. This review is from a small 6.3oz/187ml bottle, perfect amount in my opinion. This is a 2007 vintage.

Sanguine or cherry juice color with very few bubbles. Looks almost flat but the ruby highlight are fascinating.

Strong, sweet, candy, cassis aroma. Very syrupy on the nose with a mixture of red berries, hints of chocolate, hard candy, caramel, and lightly toasted malts. This is an excellent dessert beer. A bit of nail polish remover but the fruitiness hides the alcohol heat fairly well. There is also a strong, cherry-like syrup aroma that makes me want to add this to some vanilla ice-cream. Toffee and chocolate also become more intense as it warms up.

A mixture of sweet and bitter cassis flavor, mild coffee in the aftertaste as well as raisins, roasted malts, and bits of cocoa. Alcohol heat is noticeable in the finish. A bit of blueberries upfront, cherry candy near the finish, and toffee as well. There is a bit of a cough flavor in the finish/aftertaste and alcohol heat that I think could settle out with some age. I don't know why but I get an image of roasted nuts with cocoa on top. There is a roasted nutty flavor that works really well with the light chocolate side of the beer. Some bitter chocolate flavors, burnt brown sugar, and cassis linger in the back of the mouth. I opened this one at around cellar temp, it really was just in my closet, but as it warmed up the toffee flavor seems to intensify.

The mouthfeel is not as syrupy as the aroma would lead to believe, there is a good dose of carbonation.

I wish this one was just a little less alcoholic so I could drink more of it!

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%

Sampled on 2-8-09
2007 Vintage

Pours a very deep brown color, with a hint of purple. No head, no lacing, just thick.

Smell is very aged, huge dark fruit in the middle, and a sweet toffee if you look for it. Super strong, complex, and boozy, it really grows on you.

Taste is very similar to the smell. Huge fruity sweetness is kept in check by a strong alcohol character. Surprisingly bitter and super warm on the finish.

Mouthfeel is super thick with almost no carbonation. Very wine like, which suits it.

Drinkability is not good, definitely a sipper.

Overall, a gigantic beer that is not really my style, but worth a try.

3.36/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from the small (approx 7 oz) bottle into a Duvel tulip.
A: A murky brown liquid with serious thickness and reddish highlights. The thin head dissipates quickly leaving a few small trails of tiny bubbles rising through the beer.

S: The smell of sugary-sweet currants and dried fruit hits the nose...and the glass is more than 18'' from my nose. Up close, the high sweetness rides currant, cherry and cranberry-juice notes, with a little alcohol heat hiding underneath. Serious, seriously big aromas. Based on the smell, I expect the flavor to be syrupy.

T: And syrupy it is. And tart, tart, tart. Like cherry Nyquil. Loads and loads of cotton-candy sweetness and curranty tartness, with warming alcohol that doesn't quite taste like 15%. A very single-minded beer, just CURRANTS!!!

Tasted with cheese (a two-year cheddar) some of the more outrageous notes fade as the fat coats the tongue. Definitely a dessert beer, the equivalent of a Sauternes. I can't say I love the flavor, but it's pleasurable.

M: Thick, but with more carbonation than I expected hiding in there. That is good; keeps the flavor from cloying.

D: You really only want or need one, to share, after a nice big meal, with the nuts, cheeses and dried fruits. What? You don't do that? You should. It's terribly civillized.

I can't say that I generally love this beer. But it's the right thing for dessert; this or a raspberry eisbock. But if you're going that route, why not a Thomas Hardy's or spring for the $$$ it will cost for a good Sauternes? That being said, this would be a terrific ager, and would DEFINITELY be something that a group of people would enjoy.

4.61/5  rDev +14.1%

This is my third time having this beer. I've had about a dozen of Kuhnhenn's beers which have ranged from good to outstanding. This is my favorate.

Poured from a 12oz bottle in a Corsendonk tulip. The beer is a dark brown, with maybe a finger of tan head. Held up to the light it is a very cloudy brown, but lets a fair amount of light through at the edges. The ordinary appearance belies the experience that comes next.

The smell is spectacular. I don't know of another beer that smells so seductive. Of course there is a huge smell of currants. But the malts also bring a lot to the smell. The beer *smells* sweet and almost chocolaty.

The taste delivers exactly what the smell promises. The currant taste up front blends perfectly into a *huge* malty taste in the middle. It's not as if one taste stops and the other starts, one flows into the next very fluidly. Bock bock bock bock bock. If you just crank up the flavors of your favorite bock to an obscene level, that's what this tastes like in the middle. And the finish lingers in your mouth beautifully. The sweet, somewhat choclaty taste stays in your mouth forever, begging you to drink more. Though not cloyingly saccharine like a lot of big beers, it is quite sweet. It works best as dessert. Imagine going to a restaurant which has a fantastic fruity, dark chocolate cake. One that's unbelievable rich. That's what this beer tastes like.

Which brings us to mouthfeel. The beer is just so rich and chewy, almost like it should almost be a dessert you're eating rather than drinking. The carbonation level is just right - enough to refresh and clean just a bit.

The drinkability is kind of ridiculous. No beer at 15% or 16% abv should be this easy to drink. The sweetness might stop you eventually, but this is more drinkable than plenty of beers in the 8% to 9% range. OK, maybe by the end of 12oz it is starting to be a bit much. I've been sipping on it for at least an hour, and as it warms the alcohol warming becomes more prominent. The new 7oz bottles probably are the right size. A splendid treat none the less.

Kuhnhenn, I hate you for raising the price of this beer, because it is totally worth the higher price.

2.78/5  rDev -31.2%

Basically a dark muddy brown color with a thin, quickly diminishing foam. Light wafting reveals some nice aromas of black currant, chocolate, toffee and red licorice, but a strong sniff reveals an awful core of medicinal qualities, like a trip to the pharmacy and a big whiff of antibiotics. Flavor is too fruity and too sweet. I feel like there is a great tasting beer underneath the overly fruity, overly sweet, medicinal mess. There is some very tasty notes of dessert-like malts, but overall, tastes like a handful of pills and sugary sweet black currants. Disappointed. Had higher hopes.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

A big, big thanks goes out to gory for sending this my way. I had a growler folks, and entire growler of this wonderful beer which I had the pleasure of enjoying over the course of the last few days. Always served around cellar temperature and consumed via an oversized wine glass. This one was enjoyed from 10/31/2008 until 11/03/2008.

The pour was full and wonderful looking. A deep, reddish brown was all over this one. Very hazy and cloudy look, nearly opaque as I really could make out next to nothing in the glass. Some very small reddish notes coming through around the sides and bottom of the glass. A smallish, off white head creeped up the side to a height of around an inch before settling back down to earth for the remained of the session.

The aroma was most unlike anything I had experienced before. Huge notes of fruit here, deep, dark berry like notes are all over the place. Small hints of caramel, toffee, and some light chocolate start coming through more and more s it warms up. This was amazingly complex I have to admit. Most unlike anything I have had in the past. Deep black currant and alcohol notes just jumping at me from all angles now. Really a very special beer. The flavor was simply amazing to say the least. Rich and beyond full, it transformed time and again as each sip came behind the next. Started with a rush of berries, very fresh, with a very nice tart finish to it. Some nice notes of chocolate and toffee then coming down the pike after that one. Some light notes of alcohol, but nowhere near as strong as I would have thought. Now by the time you reach the bottom of that glass and the flavor is almost at room temperature, well that is where it just starts to all fall together. Huge notes of chocolate covered blackberries, which were dipped in caramel and served with a side of grapes, just sublime. I really and truly have never tasted anything like this one before. It was just that good. Smooth and silk, with a luscious flavor to it that you really just cannot compare and a subtle carbonation that was just absolutely fitting for the style. A superb sipper, I think the most I found myself enjoying in an evening was about 20 ounces of it, which was a heck of a push at the time. But, I cannot think of anything in this high of an ABV that I would find more drinkable.

In the end, blown away. This was just absurd it was soo good. I would have no issue with trying this any day and in any way. It was just wonderfully put together and really just a great beer.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

12oz bottle acquired in trade with hoppymeal (thanks!).

Poured a medium brownish color with a very small sized off white head. Aromas of all kinds of berries (I could smell them as sooned as I popped the cap), grapes, chocolate, and a little roasty. Tastes of the same berries and chocolate. Chocolate coated berries. Alcohol burn in the finish (well, it is 15%). A nice dessert / sipping beer!

Notes from 2/8/08

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours to a deep blackish purple body. Head is a light brown even foam standing at an inch and fading fast leaving just a skim. Nose is decisevly grape based and oh so ripe. There are some raspberry notes also. Very very nice. Enters the mouth with brash robust rich dark fruits. There are some tones of ripe grape skins, raspberry jam, black licorice and burnt malt in the flavor profile. All of this is carried by an alchol feel that includes port and cough syrup. Mouthfeel is along the lines of grape meets licorice. At 12oz. you could probably share the bottle with someone as this is quite the sipper. Delecious and very unique.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Growler shared with Cooperrip. Thanks John.

Poured into a Chouffe tulip. Murky brown body with minimal head. What head there is is a light beige. Nice amount of carbonation. Immediate musty, earthy, fruity currant aroma with some chocolate thrown in for good measure. Like strongly ripened stone fruit.
Very fruity on the tongue. Alcoholic bite is there, but masked by the fruitiness and mustyness. Definitely not a chugger. The 15% is not overtly apparent, but it does sneak up on you. Once you become used to the complexity of the tastes, a chocolate-covered-cherry taste comes to the forfront. Port like and dense. Very nice beer for one of our colder nights of the year. This would age greatly.

4.44/5  rDev +9.9%

A-Hazy, turbid brownish tinged copper with a medium tan head that faded into a thin ring. Spotty bits of lace left behind.

S-Sharp smack of currants, blackberry, raspberry and even a bit of grape...crazy!! Like jamming your nose into a bowl of fresh fruit! If I could have sucked this stuff through my nose I would have!

T-Tart fruit notes of currants, blackberries with a mild alcohol burn, no shock being this one is listed at 16.5%!! A bit of sweetness somehow creeps in but it is an added pleasure.

M-Medium-light with a nice zippy feel. A bit viscous but never cloying. A treat to rol around on the palate.

D-An enormously well done HIGH octane fruit beer. So much flavour, a perfect apertif. The limiting factor...hey, it's 16.5% for cryin' out loud! You aren't going to pound too much of this before falling out!

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

Deep and dark, brownish overall with red hues and almost purple. Not much of a head to speak of. Quite the potent brew. Crazy scents of dark fruits. Currant, cassis, raspberry. Loaded with sweetness. Some toasted caramel and chocolate lying underneath. Hazelnut and other spices. Taste is just as pleasing. The chocolate is even more present and helps to tame the fruity sweetness to a degree, along with a little tart finish. Amazing dark fruit flavors as it warms. It never gets too syrupy to me, not quite as full as the Raspberry Tart for some reason, which I'm enjoying. Amazingly drinkable for what it is, though I'm still somewhat happy to have split this bottle.

A big thanks to grub and DrJay for a bottle.

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a tawny brown color with garnet highlights; the modest head nevertheless leaves some lace behind

Smell: Tart aroma of currants with some chocolate undertones

Taste: At first split second, it is like liquid chocolate; only to be quickly overwhelmed by the tart currant flavors that build by mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavors blend together nicely into a lingering finish

Mouthfeel: Full body with gentle carbonation

Drinkability: Delicious in small quantities; marvelously complex; the abv was listed on this batch at 16.5%

4.14/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to northernbrews for this beast!

Pours a murky brownish color with hints of red/orange. Virtually no head at all.

Smells very much what you would expect a black currant syrup to smell like - mostly sweet berry with medicinal qualities. Unfortunately, I could see black currant flavored cough syrup smelling exactly like this. With that said, after a few sips, I am finding this smell much less obnoxious..and, rather, quite nice. Maybe because it reminds me of mixing the concentrated currant syrups with sparkling water in Europe on hot summer days? Quite possibly.

The taste is well...interesting to say the least. This is truly one beer that, given to someone who doesn't like beer, would not be recognized as beer. Overly sweet. Dripping with added fructose. Medicinal in that cough medicine sort of way. Cloying. Slightly alcoholic. Too low carbonation. Too one-dimensional when it comes to the sweet, black currant side. Yes, those are all completely valid criticisms I will hurl at this beer. Yet, with that said, there is a part of me that actually enjoys it immensely (which is odd, since I cannot stand overly sweet beers/drinks/foods in general). Part of it is likely the novelty factor. But yet, after overcoming the initial few unsavory sips, I find myself actually enjoying this combination of flavors.

The mouthfeel is, as stated above, overly cloying with minimal carbonation, but it ends up really working for this beer. Mouthfeel is very much like drinking a nice port.

Drinkability, somehow, also ends up being fine for me.

So, there you go. Upon opening this bottle and having the first sip, I really, really regretted having this one to myself. I figured a few sips and I would drain pour it..and what a waste for a beer this rare - at least a few others share in the misery ;) Then, surprisingly, I actually enjoyed it. Were I to review this by any normal beer standards, I doubt I would rate it well. Rating for my own personal enjoyment, it does just fine. And hey, it's not like you really have a style to rate within for this beer.

Edit: By the way, 15% (or 16.5% according to RB)? That I would have never guessed. The thickness hints at it for sure, but the alcohol bite doesn't.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

So here we go folks, review #500. First I want to thank northernbrews for this special Kuhnhenn beer, and secondly I'd like to thank everyone else I've traded with for getting me to this milestone. Here's to 500 more!

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter allowed to warm up a bit, not really sure why though...anyway...

Pours a dark molasses with a quick one finger tan head that falls to a thin ring of bubbles around the outside of the glass.. Very little stick to it, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with. Smell begins with strong dark berries; blackberries, elderberries, raspberries. A big thick caramel malt scent combines well with the dark fruits. Strong wave of booze graces the nose, but what do you expect with 15% abv? I swear to god I remember a candy as a kid that smelled just like this, it'll come to me at some point. Taste is much like the aroma but with a stronger caramel and chocolate malt presence. Definitely the richest fruit flavored beer I've ever experienced. Surprisingly I don't detect the booze on the tongue that much, pretty scary if you ask me. Medium syrupy feel with a fairly present carbonation sting. There are a lot of fruit beers out there, but nothing like this one. A unique beer that won't soon be forgotten.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

a: This was a clear, dark mahogany color. It poured with a smallish light tan head that faded fairly quickly.

s: I wasn't prepared for this, wave after wave of strong raspberry aromas. At times I thought I smelled some cherry and honey as well. There is also something pungently floral here, along with a bit of heat.

t: Tons of raspberry flavors here as well. Other fruit flavors like cherries, peek out every now and then. There is some gentle alcoholic warmth blanketing everything. The finish has a spicy, almost minty flavor.

m: This is heavy, very viscous. It has gentle foamy carbonation.

d: I was surprised to see 15% listed here, I certainly didn't taste it anywhere. I went into this one completely blind. I'd never heard of this one at all. Thanks to TheBlackMallard for a very pleasant surprise.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Kuhnhenn Tenacious Cassis from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company