Kuhnhenn Cherry Olde Brune - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Cherry Olde BruneKuhnhenn Cherry Olde Brune

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: tpd975 on 03-11-2010

This is a Flanders Sour Brown Ale which has the characteristics of sherry with a sweet fruity aroma. It is dark reddish brown in color and is high in acidity, sweetness and sourness. This is a complex beer that should be imbibed with notice to it’s high alcohol content.
Ratings: 250 | Reviews: 97
Reviews by Nickls:
4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Moved from previous review site, per note from masterski as well.
(From notes - On tap at Blind Tiger)

A - Deep brown mahogany color that's almost black; with a finger of tan head

S - Vinegary; sweet dark fruits/prunes; some sweetish maltiness; bit of soy sauce sneeks in as well

T - Vinegary, tart, and sour up front; nice acidity; sweet maltiness; a little savory overall

M - Medium body; tight bubbly carbonation

D - Really nice drinking; loved the sweet/sour juxtaposition and nice layers of flavors

Overall, found this to be a very unique brew, but also tasty which = high rating

4.36/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2010 vintage, bottle labeled "Imperial Old Bruin - Cherry", from Winter Solstice. Very excited to finally crack this one open. Rich walnut color with ruby borders and a darker, red mahogany center. The chubby bubbled, light-tan head concedes to a skin before my eyes and leaves no signs of webbing or lacing as it makes the recession. Looks very barley wine-ish so far.

Well ooh-la-la, what a wonderfully surprising nose. From the build of this brew, and the knowledge of its alcohol content, I wasn't really expecting much intense sourness. The first whiff, however, sends a swift kick of sour cherries to my sensory receptors - I'm in love already. Deep inhales bring out enough tartness to start tickling the saliva glands, even.

Aside from the beautifully sour and fresh cherries, the rest of the aroma leads me to believe that this is a soured, fruited barley wine. Sticky, sweet molasses, light black licorice, and some mild, boozy, sherry-like notes. Warmer temps bring forth more intense sweetness, as well as a bit more sourness, and even a light bit of acidity at the tip.

Just when I thought the sourness was peaking in the aroma, Kuhnhenn Old Brune goes mad swoll and flips the table of tartness, slapping my palate with a backhand of incredibly tart black cherries. The kind even make you wince and pucker just a bit. The sourness is a fantastic element, but it's also quite unique - it's not much like the sour or tart notes you'd get from a lambic or wild ale (and obviously far from the infected kind, as well).

Brash arms of barley wine flavors hold up the heavy cherry weight without much sweat. Sweet molasses and subtle toffee, lots of toasted breads, some other dark fruits aside from cherries, and a finishing sherry kiss. The latter half of the brew seems much more vinous than the first, but I like it. Some added oak, tannin, and acetic acid spruce things up a bit and add a whole different level of complexity.

Sticky and heavy on palate; the body on this brew is as large as the alcohol content suggests, although it drinks insanely easy considering it's nearly 12% ABV. I love the authentic nature of the black cherries, I love the intense and unexpected sourness, and I love the overall execution of this unique and interesting brew. Like an intentionally soured and fruited up, cherry barley wine on crack. So, so dope.

3.36/5  rDev -15.2%

A_Dark burgundy with blood red highlights. Thin red tinted brown head. Not much lacing.

S_Tart cherry , dark fruits, and a medicinal boozy aroma.

T_Tart cherry upfront. Bittersweet fruits and a hefty alcohol burn. Medicinal aftertaste.

M_Thick and syrupy.

D_Hard enough to choke down one. Perhaps better suited for a smaller serving.

3.86/5  rDev -2.5%

A- Pours a beautiful clear deep red with two fingers of creamy head which is surprising for the style. Head has good retention and leaves quite a bit of lacing.

S -- Huge cherry aroma, has a bit of a cherry candy character, but overall is pretty nice. Slightly tart, but no hints of oak.

T -- Mix of sweet and tart with massive cherry taste. The cherry component has elements of fresh tart cherries, cherry candy and only a slight medicinal aspect. Sweeter than I was expecting, though there is a nice tartness throughout, just not the dryness I prefer.

M - Medium mouthfeel that is slightly sticky but finishes a bit dry and bitter.

O - Knocking the sweetness down would elevate this for me, but still quite enjoyable.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tart, sour and funky. I enjoyed this one

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

Received this in an awesome box from goryshkewych, thanks again!

Appearance- Pours a translucent mahogany into my glass with minimal head off of an aggressive pour. Enough however to leave a sheet across the top and also leave a touch of lacing as I drank.

Smell- Wow, smells very rich with lots of vanilla, dark cherry, wood, and warming alcohol showing through as well. Smells very nice.

Taste- Lots of similar flavors, with vanilla, rich chocolate covered cherries, wood, and warming booze on the finish. A big flavor profile but a little bit sweet for me and possibly for the style as well.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is a touch this for the big flavors this beer is holding and the drinkability suffers a bit from the sweetness of this one as well. Not bad on either accounts though.

Overall, a very interesting and complex take on the style. As I said though, I found this to be rather sweet and lacking the tartness that I generally find in this style.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at the brewpub, second night of the Winter Solstice. A nice drinkable beer, in the style but a little on the sweeter side than the best examples of the style. Reddish, lacy. Good cherry, very malted ameliorating the potential sourness I would expect and like. Worth a try.

3.32/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to biernutz for this one. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Cantillon Iris glass.

A: Standard pour yields a thin layer of off-biese head that dissipates quickly into a subtle ring around the glass. Beer is a dark, near opaque blood ruby red. Lacing is spotty and sparse with near no cling.

S: Soy sauce, cherry juice, and ethanol. Deep but not aromatic and the scents seem like they're being suppressed somehow.

T: Soy sauce and vinegar upfront with a hint of fruitiness in the back. The cherry doesn't develop much in this one even though it claims to be a "sour cherry beer". Gets creamier as it warms but acidity never subsides. Sours intensely towards the middle/end with a slight cherry sweetness. Finishes tart with a lingering vinegar aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation. Oily and slick in the mouth with an accented finish and a sticky and filmy aftertaste.

D: A decent beer that gets much much better as the carbonation leaves and it warms a little. The fruitiness seeps through a bit more and this one actually becomes quite drinkable. Still, lacking the vinegary kick and real sourness that I've come to enjoy from the style.

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle via trade thanks to sarro. Shared at a tasting.

Pours mostly clear deep crimson with a light tan head and good lacing.

Aroma is great - intense cherries dominate, maybe some spice.

Flavor is also great cherries, but pretty sweet and syrup-like, even medicinal. Maybe a little chocolate and caramel. A little weird.

Smooth and fairly sweet on the palate. Good carbonation level.

Overall, I thought this was pretty good, although others who shared it were not as keen on it. The fruit flavor was nice, but it wasn't sour like it claimed to be and was slightly medicinal. This detracted from the drinkability.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

A huge thanks to erikkoppin for this generous beer. A 2010 version labeled "Imperial Olde Brune Summer Solstice" and is 10.5% rather than 11.5%.

Appearance - Pours a dark copper color into my RR Tulip. Less than a finger of head is achieved with a relatively vigorous pour that leaves little lacing.

Smell - Wow, cherries and cherry flavored licorice (not so much the "black" licorice smell but the kind of cherry licorice you could buy growing up at the candy store). Slight molasses, oak, and honestly reminds me a bit of cough syrup. [edit] Also reminds me of Belgian Red from NG.

Taste - Damn! I freaking loved the first sip. After letting it warm a bit and allowing the flavors to fully reveal themselves, I can honestly say this is a damn good beer. Tart, yet sweet, cherries dominate the palate. Slight oak and raisins as the beer warms, though the dominate flavor is cherry (again, reminds me of Belgian Red). There is no medicinal factor to this flavor as I was afraid with the nose. There is definite sweetness (I honestly don't mind most sweet fruity beers like this) but the slight tartness from the cherries just makes this a pleasure.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation.

Drinkability - Insanely drinkable. I get just an ever so slight warming of the throat from this beer, and this is the 2010 version. I can't even imagine how drinkable this will be in a year or two. I am most definitely going to ISO this beer asap.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

12 oz bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip. 2010 on the label.

Thanks to Tickwolf77 for sharing this one on our bday!

A - Hazy mahogany amber with a low light khaki head that's retained very well for the alcohol. Spotty lace is left on the glass.

S - Sour green and red apple aroma with a touch of vinegar. Nice light amber malt backing and notes of maple syrup. A hint of alcohol right away that fades quickly.

T - Delicious apple cider vinegar sourness right up front with a fantastic amber brown malt flavor. A mild hop flavor of earth on the finish. I begin getting a tart cherry flavor as the brew warms up.

M - Great sourness up front but a massive dryness arrests the tongue almost instantly. Medium-light bodied but soft in the entry.

D - 11.5%? Are you kidding me? This is by far the most dangerous beer I've ever had. It drinks like it's 4%, no problem. You could get someone absolutely wrecked off this beer. It's not too sour at all. This one has a scary drinkability level.

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle received as an extra from a generous BA. Poured into a tulip 04/22/10.

With a fairly rough pour I'm able to coax up a small light tan colored head but it doesn't stick around long. Body is a fairly dark brown with a very slight garnet tint.

There's a restrained pungent aroma that's followed by a sweet and sour cherry-like character. Right on point for the style. There are some faint soy sauce notes in the background that may be a sign of oxidation but they're not that noticeable.

Have to admit this is a good deal sweeter and maltier than I expected. Cherry flavors are so strong I might think they actually added the fruit during the brewing process if I didn't know what I was drinking. Pleasantly subtle tart and woody notes keep the sweetness from running wild and help achieve a level of balance.

Soft and fine carbonation is very nice despite the complete lack of a head. Not exactly a clone of my favorite Belgian versions of the style but a very tasty and enjoyable brew. This only my second beer from this brewer and the first I've reviewed but so far I have to say I'm very impressed.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

I poured into my glass to absolutely no head. It is brown in color. The aroma reminds me of wine. It has a tart cherry smell and taste. I get a hint of vinegar in there, too. I get some cranberry on the taste. This is a new experience for me, and I like it.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

A: It poured very dark red with just a few bubbles floating on the surface.
S: There are rather strong aromas of tart cherries and some sweetness in the nose.
T: The initial taste is filled with lots of malty sweetness, tart cherries and just a little bit of sourness. There are also notes of brown sugar and molasses.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate, very rich and has little carbonation. There is some dryness in the finish.
D: The alcohol is very well masked. I would have never thought it was 11.5% unless I looked on the bottle. However, the strong tart taste of cherry flavors makes this one a sipper.

Silver foil capped 12oz bottle from IAmJacksHopTongue (thank you). No bottling date. Served in a Barrel and Barley teku.

Pours a mildy opaque, plum hued cherrywood with about one finger of ecrue head. The bubbles quickly dissipate to thin halo around the edges, leaving almost no lacing.

Aroma is packed with tart cherry with notes of vinegar, cough syrup, sugar and an earthy herbaceousness.

Wow- what a sweet and sour, complex treat! Delicious organic cherries dominate the flavor in the best possible way. I'm also getting apple skins, mild vinegar tartness, simple syrup, a vegital funk and only a hint of that 12% abv.

Syrupy thick with little carbonation. Tart cherries in a dry funky finish.

This almost drinks mire like a high octane fruit beer than a Flanders red but I really liked it.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to MasterSki. Alex sent this along as an extra. Bottle is from summer 2010, and reads "Imperial Olde Bruin." ABV is 10.5% rather than 11.5%, but I am assuming that this is where this review belongs.

Poured into my tulip glass, the color is a deep purple-infused brown. There is a fleeting head that disappears as soon as I stop pouring. Around the edges of the glass, when in the presence of light, there is a rich ruby hue highlighted by bright amber edges.

The aroma is delicious. Sour cherries, cocoa powder, sherry grapes, and balsamic sweetness highlight the bouquet. Very little funk or acetic sourness, the sourness that manifests itself here is much more subdued. The flavor follows suit very well. Sour cherries are extremely prominent, but I also get strong notes of sherry and cocoa. There are hints of vanilla in the finish. Again, there is a sweetness from balsamic notes, and it comes close to nullifying the sourness from what tastes like lactic bacteria. One of the more balanced and enjoyable oud bruins that I have been able to enjoy. And for the 10.5% ABV, there isn't the slightest hint that this could do it to ya.

Slick on the palate, but light enough in texture from the low residual sugars, this is pretty much spot on in my eyes. While it could use more carbonation, the lack thereof does not really detract from the feel, though I do wonder if there wouldn't be a bit more complexity with some carbonation to open it up a little. Extremely enjoyable and easy drinking, this could be dangerous, as it doesn't show a hint of the booze.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

2011 bottle from the Winter Solstice.

A: Reddish-brown. Small amount of off-white foamy head.

S: Tart cherries with a hint of vinegar.

T: Immediate tart cherry followed by malty, vinegar finish.

M: Medium carbonation and medium bodied.

O: Very good beer. The bottled versio is much more sour than the tap version. The tap version tastes a lot more like cherry cough syrup.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip. Thanks to Romulux for trading me this one!

A - A murky brown body with a small tan head htat quickly dissipates.

S - Very nice cherry aroma. A mix of sweet and sour cherry aromas with a hint of booze at the end.

T - Nice cherry flavor at first. Decently sour but quickly gives way to a malty meaty type flavor that is hard to describe. Pretty sweet in general. Kind of like a heavy red wine in the finish. The cherry up front though is fantastic.

M - pretty thick low carbonated beer.

D - I'm glad this is in a 12oz serving because I don't think I could drink much more. It's certainly a solid beer and provides some nice cherry notes but it's pretty thick and the finish leaves a flavor that I still can't decide if I like or not. I might pick more of this up if I had the chance so I could see how it ages.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

This was almost still. The smell was like black cherry jam and booze. The flavor was a little more complex. It had sour cheeries that ended with a boozy cherry pit flavor. Alcohol is strong and this beer is syrupy and coats your tongue. I almost didn't want this to be sour but once my palate adjusted it felt better.

4.04/5  rDev +2%

On draught at HopCat for the Wood and Wild Ale Festival 2012, into a tulip.

Deep brown, with burgundy highlights. No head, no lace. Nose of black cherries, currants, subtler chocolate covered berries and a light almost cranberry light tart note. Taste has more black cherry, light medicinal notes, chocolate covered cranberries, light tartness but a sweet Flanders Red-esque like malting. Sweet and sour, with a fuller thicker feel that appears less than 12.0%. A very drinkable Flanders Red/Oud Bruin.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

A - fleeting lace almost soapy muddy water. Rusty color.

S - newly opened raisin box. Fresh baked cheery pie. Subtle dried apricot sweetness.

T - Sour while directly on the tongue giving way to an incredibly smooth and sweet cherry malt extract. Not hint of tartness. Roasted malt characteristics extremely well blended.

M - Smooth like freshly squeezed fruit juice.

D - Lack of over the top sourness makes this brew an easy drinker.

2010 Edition
Thanks to beefwolf77 for sharing

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Bought the bottle at the brewery and poured into a Tulip.

A - Pours an extermely dark brown with some maroon highlights shining through with barely any head on top, not that I really expected much.

S - Big time sour cherries up front with chocolate malts. Also has some sweet bread qualities and a touch of syrup too.

T - Smooth chocolate malts flavors then the sour cherries make me pucker but in a very good way. Dark Molasses and a little citrus peel bitterness.

M - Super smooth and creamy but also has decent carbonation too.

D - Really complex and tasty. Definitely a sipper and totally worth the money. Definitely try to get a hold of this.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks for Azurelimits for sharing this at a recent tasting with bmanning, amyliz4, hhanson, and myself.

A: Pours a very dark crimson with a nice looking head. Absolutely gorgeous color.

S: Nice amount of tart cherries alongside some caramel malt and perhaps a bit of molsasses.

T: Lots of Michigan cherries coming atop plenty of residual sweetness. Caramel and molasses come in with a bit of brown sugar. Nicely put together. Not terribly sour, but enough to give it a very nice edge.

M: Medium bodied with some great sour characteristics balanced by the sweetness. Low carbonation.

D: Very drinkable. Not sure on the style classification, but another really impressive beer coming from Kuhnhenn.

4.14/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy, dark brown with some red specks, hardly any head, and fair lacing

S - Tart cherry juice, vanilla, bourbon, a bit of prune

T - Sweet/tart cherries, a hint of vinegar --> raisins, tobacco --> more dried Montmorency cherries & slightly sour yeast

M - Low carbonation, thick mouthfeel for an Oud Bruin

D - Good for being fruity; not bad for the listed style

So this isn't exactly an Oud Bruin...points adjusted downward. It's still a crazy tasty beer, and perhaps we get carried away with the judging according to style thing sometimes.
(Although it'd not applicable here, I've reviewed several beers which I'd categorize differently than the person who first reviewed it. I bet you have, too.)

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to jrallen34 for hooking me up with this one.

A - Pours a very dark red, with hints of brown. Head bubbled up just about a 1/2 finger, off white coloring. Receded to a nice cap.

S - Big cherry smell on the nose, some chocolate, there's bit of mediciny smell to this that detracts slightly. There is something unnatural about the smell, but not sure if it is alcohol. Nice oak.

T - Huge deep cherries, nice oak, hints of vanilla. A bit of a cough syrup like taste detracts a little bit. Some sweet chocolate notes in there.

M - Smooth, full bodied, low carbonation.

D - Very high drinkability considering the abv. It gets tastier as you go too, a very nice and tasty brew.

Kuhnhenn Cherry Olde Brune from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company