Kuhnhenn Cherry Olde Brune - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Cherry Olde BruneKuhnhenn Cherry Olde Brune

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: tpd975 on 03-11-2010

This is a Flanders Sour Brown Ale which has the characteristics of sherry with a sweet fruity aroma. It is dark reddish brown in color and is high in acidity, sweetness and sourness. This is a complex beer that should be imbibed with notice to it’s high alcohol content.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 248 | Reviews: 97
1.75/5  rDev -55.8%

1.78/5  rDev -55.1%

Shared by DSC... Served in tulips...

The first sip was awful.

But it gets better... Slightly...

A VERY murky beer-- reddish brown in color. Small tan head. Spots of lacing... Meh.

The smell is insanely sweet. Wow. Sour cherries... Vinegar... The taste is only slightly better-- huge sweetness, vinegar, sour cherries, and a mustiness that I can't place...
The sourness is intense-- but the sweetness trumps it! This beer is WAAAY too sweet. This is like cough syrup with some sourness..
The body is undercarbonated... It is syrupy. Not something I like,

Overall-- this is one I could skip the next time around... It isn't TERRIBLE, but is doesn't wow me in any aspect. I am sorely disappointed in this beet.

1.79/5  rDev -54.8%

Pried the cap and got the tell tale faint hiss of a flat beer. This makes 2 out of 3 Kuhnhenn beers that I purchased that were flat. This is marked Summer Solstice and 2010 so this beer cant be very old at all, yet it was totally flat.

It poured a flat purple, brown, black color. A lot like black cherries. The color was interesting but thats it.

Smell wasnt too bad, mostly just black cherries though.

The taste is awful though. I had to drain pour this one. Painful sour like unripe cherries or some strange wild berries that arent meant for consuption, overly sour plum skin, vinegar and gasoline like alcohol.

Pretty damn awful, one of my very few drain pours. A big disappointment.

2.25/5  rDev -43.2%

2.54/5  rDev -35.9%

Thanks to Derek for sending me this one. Kuhnhenn rarely disappoints, so I've been looking forward to this one.

A: The pour is a deep mahogany color with plenty of red running through the beer. The head is thin and off-white.

S: A surprisingly strong vanilla component to the nose. A bit of alcohol, which isn't surprising considering how robust this beer is (11.5%). Some over ripe dark fruits, mainly cherries, raisins, and prunes.

T: This is quite a strange flavor profile for an Oud Bruin. A definite caramel sweetness and sweet, sticky, sugary fruits. Almost cough syrupy. The cherry flavor isn't necessarily pronounced, and this really isn't very tart at all. I know oud bruins aren't super sour, but this really only has a hint on the finish, and it's quite convoluted with all the sweetness and alcohol.

M: The body is a bit on the full side and the beer is thick, chewy, and sticky on the tongue. Carbonation is low to moderate.

D: Not really sure what is going on here. This was not all that good and I'm sorry to say I would not want to try this one again.

2.56/5  rDev -35.4%

12oz into chouffe tulip. 2010 bottling.

A- An amazing pour.. deep ruby red highlights in a dark brown beer. A salmon-colored head that laces nicely. 2 fingers but fizzes out.

S- Cherries!

T- Cough syrup cherry tidal wave. Capri sun cherry flavor. I have reason to believe this was brewed with real cherries, so it's a shame they are coming across like this. It's not terrible, it's not Robitussin... but it's no cherry pie either. Stale flavors are peeking through the cherry avalanche.

M- Thick, heavy, pancake syrupy. No sign of ABV, but this elixer doesn't resemble a beer either.

D- Low... there's a few flavors that draw me out of what has the potential to be a stellar beer. Needs some serious tweaking. Each sip I would tell myself it's not that bad, and then the stale flavors would hit me for a second, and then they'd be gone. A befuddling beer.

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

2.8/5  rDev -29.3%

2010 12oz bottle.

Thanks to GhettoFabulous for this great extra in our not so recent trade. Popped the cap very little hiss seems like low carbonation. Poured into Allagash tulip at about 45 degrees.

A: Aggressive pour down the center of the glass creates a half finger head that is gone within a few seconds. Just a very thing ring remains. This one is dark really deep dark cherry color. Only a hint of light shines through when held to the light. 3.0

S: Smells of pretty strong alcohol, cherries....cough syrup. Smell is strong but fairly one dimensional. 3.0

T: Super sour....puckering...vinegar..ehh..trying really hard to enjoy this one but I'm just not feeling it. I love sours / wild ales but this one is just not that good. 2.5

M: Mouthfeel is prickly with light carbonation. Not too slick or oily. 3.0

O: Overall really not enjoying this one too much. Its tough to put back. But glad I got to try it non the less. The Marrón Acidifié I also got in this trade was a hell of lot better than this one. 3.0

2.88/5  rDev -27.3%

2.91/5  rDev -26.5%

Another Kuhnhenn beer thanks to iceicebaby.

Bottle says 2010 on the label with "2/10" marked on the cap.

Once more I am greeted with a Kuhnhenn label that tells me little. At least this time I get an approximate date and a style. But abv would be very welcome (and I know they include this on some of their beers). What I do get is a nifty little picture of (I presume) George Washington chopping down a cherry tree with an axe the size of the Buster Sword (or the axe/hammer weapon that the executioner uses in the newest Resident Evil movie). Nevertheless, my policy of not reading reviews prior to reviewing myself meant that I just cracked an 11.5% beer at 5am (after a long shift at work) when I otherwise might have saved the beer for later. Guess I just need to be more careful of researching my Kuhnhenns.

Boy is this an ugly beer. Poured at height and still no head. It looked very hazy and yeasty as it left the bottle, and it collects in my snifter as a murky concoction that seems like a mixture of cola and Bordeaux.

The smell is something to ponder. It certainly has complexity. What it lacks, however, is subtlety and elegance. There's an initial wave of bourbon-y heat and caramel malt. Heavy, dense malt in fact. Vanilla and oak then work their way in. But underneath all of that is a raging sweetness just itching to spring forth. Licorice can be found, but not as much funk as I'd expect.

The taste is where the funk decides to make its stand. Very sour, puckering in fact. There's some significant must and damp dead earth. Additionally I am reminded of beers that use pedio or other bacteria. Cherry is certainly part of the flavor as well. However, Olde Brune expresses the cola flavors that I am continually exposed to by the style. Cherry cough syrup and strong boozy alcohol finish off the plethora of flavors here.

Boy is this beer boozy. Wait, am I in hell? With the caves and ragged clothing?? And the heat, my god, the heat! This beer burns and stings all the way down. The mouthfeel is thin and without significant body - the lack of carbonation is the likely culprit. Very dry and coating, the beer is showing the tell-tale signs of a sour. I am not acquainted with the style well enough to say if the sourness has gone overboard, but this is certainly the most sour (and most boozy) Old Bruin I have had to date.

Overall this is a big-time sipper because of the high alcohol and heavy sourness. But the flavor doesn't do enough for me to handle sipping on this for the hour plus that it necessitates. Sadly I don't think I will be finishing the bottle.

2.92/5  rDev -26.3%

Big thanks to Kevin for sharing this one!

A-pours a cloudy copper reddish color with an off white dense creamy head.

S-the nose is a little light, lots of earthy tones, sawdust, notes of tart red grapes, merlot, cherries, and a faint touch of acetone with acetic acid in the back.

T-grainy earth, notes of sawdust up front, tart cherries, tred grapes, balsamic vinegar, notes of acetone, but faint, with a ton of acetic acid.

M-soft but a little grainy, medium to light body, enough carbonation but i would have liked to see more.

D-pretty tasty and improves as it warms. notes of metallic phenol in the back when it was first served but faded. balanced, not bad.

Had at an interesting tasting.

Appearance- Light brown. Red highlights. No head, no lacing.

Smell- Wood! Then some cherry.

Taste- More wood. Damn is this woody. Followed by a seriously tart cherry. It's like sweet cherry cough syrup. Has an amaretto finish. It's hot and sweet, and really oaky. Why is this coming in at 11%?

Mouthfeel- Too thin.

Drinkability- No thanks.

This was not a pleasantness.

3.03/5  rDev -23.5%

12 oz bottle off my wants from splax23, my generous trading buddy!

Pour- Dark ruby reddish brown with no head at all except for a fine beading of off white "head." this is a syrupy looking beast...looks sort of like Robitussin.

Nose- Dark cherries, cherry twizzlers (very distinct), damp oak, a slighty musty smell (can't quite put a finger on the origin), slight alcohol and brown sugar, perhaps pie crust.

Taste- Alcohol soaked cherries, slightly oaky, cherry twizzlers, slight vinegar and slight vanilla. The taste is actually disappointing...I was hoping for something kind of like consecration but this isn't even sour. I am not sure how anyone could think this is a sour ale...it's not even tart. This is a cloyingly sweet beer.

Mouthfeel- Thick and syrupy for a sour. This is tongue coating like cough syrup and under carbonated.

Overall- This beer was my hope for a good east coast/Midwest sour ale. I'm hoping there are better sours out in that direction. I feel spoiled with RR, LA and Cascade sours at my constant disposal but they are excellent for comparison. This one should be classified as a fruit beer because it is plainly sweet without a sour or tart quality. Glad to try it but disappointed.

3.15/5  rDev -20.5%

2010 Vintage

Poured into a wine glass. A light fizzy head appears, but then fades quickly, leaving only a thin ring around the edges of the glass. The body is a clear, dark plum, maroon-red. A few tiny spots of lacing form with a swirl of the glass.

Lots of cherry, almost like hard candy cherry cough drops on the nose. A little bit of ethyl alcohol, toffee and sweet bready malts.

Like the nose, there is quite a bit of cherry in the flavor. Sour, somewhat tart, very sweet. Kind of like cherry cordial. Some toffee and sweet malt. A little too sweet and boozy in my opinion and lacking in complexity.

Mouthfeel is thick, slimy, viscous and laced with warming alcohol. Not bad, but kind of makes this seem like cherry syrup.

Drinkability is average. There is sour cherry in this beer, so Kuhnhenn does deliver that, but in a very one dimensional way. The high ABV is somewhat noticeable and the thickness for this style also cuts down on drinkability. Not necessarily a bad beer, but with beers like Rosso E Marrone in this category, this one doesn't come close.

3.17/5  rDev -19.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. From semibaked. Thanks!

A: Pours a clear reddish amber with very short-lived beige off-white agitation bubbles. I'd peg this as closer to 'still' than 'low-carb.'

S: Sour cherries, vanilla, brown sugar, mild acetic acid (vinegar).

T: Same flavors: sour cherries and vinegar give the beer a light acidity that is more than offset by vanilla, brown sugar, and chocolate. There's a lingering burn in the finish.

M: Medium-bodied with some pronounced burn in the finish.

O: It's pretty good, but not great.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Kuhnhenn Cherry Olde Brune from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company