Kuhnhenn Cherry Olde Brune - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Cherry Olde BruneKuhnhenn Cherry Olde Brune

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: tpd975 on 03-11-2010

This is a Flanders Sour Brown Ale which has the characteristics of sherry with a sweet fruity aroma. It is dark reddish brown in color and is high in acidity, sweetness and sourness. This is a complex beer that should be imbibed with notice to it’s high alcohol content.
2.8/5  rDev -28.6%

2010 12oz bottle.

Thanks to GhettoFabulous for this great extra in our not so recent trade. Popped the cap very little hiss seems like low carbonation. Poured into Allagash tulip at about 45 degrees.

A: Aggressive pour down the center of the glass creates a half finger head that is gone within a few seconds. Just a very thing ring remains. This one is dark really deep dark cherry color. Only a hint of light shines through when held to the light. 3.0

S: Smells of pretty strong alcohol, cherries....cough syrup. Smell is strong but fairly one dimensional. 3.0

T: Super sour....puckering...vinegar..ehh..trying really hard to enjoy this one but I'm just not feeling it. I love sours / wild ales but this one is just not that good. 2.5

M: Mouthfeel is prickly with light carbonation. Not too slick or oily. 3.0

O: Overall really not enjoying this one too much. Its tough to put back. But glad I got to try it non the less. The Marrón Acidifié I also got in this trade was a hell of lot better than this one. 3.0 (1,020 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14%

A huge thanks to Schmittymack for generously sharing this one with us last Friday night. Poured a hazy brown color with a bit of tan foam on top. Aromas of sour cherries, tobacco and caramel. On the palate, this one was light bodied and tart, with huge cherry flavors along with light vinegar and caramel. (305 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%

Another Kuhnhenn beer thanks to iceicebaby.

Bottle says 2010 on the label with "2/10" marked on the cap.

Once more I am greeted with a Kuhnhenn label that tells me little. At least this time I get an approximate date and a style. But abv would be very welcome (and I know they include this on some of their beers). What I do get is a nifty little picture of (I presume) George Washington chopping down a cherry tree with an axe the size of the Buster Sword (or the axe/hammer weapon that the executioner uses in the newest Resident Evil movie). Nevertheless, my policy of not reading reviews prior to reviewing myself meant that I just cracked an 11.5% beer at 5am (after a long shift at work) when I otherwise might have saved the beer for later. Guess I just need to be more careful of researching my Kuhnhenns.

Boy is this an ugly beer. Poured at height and still no head. It looked very hazy and yeasty as it left the bottle, and it collects in my snifter as a murky concoction that seems like a mixture of cola and Bordeaux.

The smell is something to ponder. It certainly has complexity. What it lacks, however, is subtlety and elegance. There's an initial wave of bourbon-y heat and caramel malt. Heavy, dense malt in fact. Vanilla and oak then work their way in. But underneath all of that is a raging sweetness just itching to spring forth. Licorice can be found, but not as much funk as I'd expect.

The taste is where the funk decides to make its stand. Very sour, puckering in fact. There's some significant must and damp dead earth. Additionally I am reminded of beers that use pedio or other bacteria. Cherry is certainly part of the flavor as well. However, Olde Brune expresses the cola flavors that I am continually exposed to by the style. Cherry cough syrup and strong boozy alcohol finish off the plethora of flavors here.

Boy is this beer boozy. Wait, am I in hell? With the caves and ragged clothing?? And the heat, my god, the heat! This beer burns and stings all the way down. The mouthfeel is thin and without significant body - the lack of carbonation is the likely culprit. Very dry and coating, the beer is showing the tell-tale signs of a sour. I am not acquainted with the style well enough to say if the sourness has gone overboard, but this is certainly the most sour (and most boozy) Old Bruin I have had to date.

Overall this is a big-time sipper because of the high alcohol and heavy sourness. But the flavor doesn't do enough for me to handle sipping on this for the hour plus that it necessitates. Sadly I don't think I will be finishing the bottle. (2,592 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2010 Vintage. Huge thanks to beerwolf77 for sharing!

(A)- Pours a fairly dark brown burgundy color. Produced some tan colored froth that is sticking around for a bit. Plenty of lace here and there.

(S)- A nice earthy fruity profile. Some mild funk with a great sour/acid background. A really nice dry oaky middle too.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A great dry oaky cherry sourness with some tart acidity and vinous vinegar-like characters behind it.

(M)- A nice mellow carbonation level. A brilliant balance of oak, fruit, and sour. The high ABV is also expertly hidden.

(D)- A great Oud Bruin to say the least. Oaky, fruity, and sour with a great balance and drinkability. A great example for the style even though it carries a hefty ABV level for the style. (808 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Ruddy brown with patchy tan wisps. Rustic as hell.

S - Lots of cherry, some caramel and toffee, hints of vanilla and musty wood. It contains many of the same elements as KRE. As it airs out, it smells better and better; as if the olfactory volume is being cranked up.

T - The taste is quite strange; not off-putting, but unusual to say the least. I get a fairly intense cherry flavor from this beer, like unsweet pie cherries. The tartness in this beer, and there is quite a bit, seems to come from the fruit, and not from wild bugs. The sweet maltiness is fairly exquisite, as tends to be the case with Kuhnhenn; notes of caramel, toffee, and rum-butter-vanilla are sublimely expressed. I had heard intitial reports of this beer being way hot and super sweet; it seems that time has interceded kindly for Old Brune. The booze is only present enough to temper maltiness; on the other hand, the sweetness is really enhanced by the alcohol.

M - Thinner, but quite silky. Some soft effervesence is present, despite the somewhat lifeless appearance.

O - This beer is what I imagine Quelque Chose would be like if it had carbonation. (1,136 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

12 oz bottle off my wants from splax23, my generous trading buddy!

Pour- Dark ruby reddish brown with no head at all except for a fine beading of off white "head." this is a syrupy looking beast...looks sort of like Robitussin.

Nose- Dark cherries, cherry twizzlers (very distinct), damp oak, a slighty musty smell (can't quite put a finger on the origin), slight alcohol and brown sugar, perhaps pie crust.

Taste- Alcohol soaked cherries, slightly oaky, cherry twizzlers, slight vinegar and slight vanilla. The taste is actually disappointing...I was hoping for something kind of like consecration but this isn't even sour. I am not sure how anyone could think this is a sour ale...it's not even tart. This is a cloyingly sweet beer.

Mouthfeel- Thick and syrupy for a sour. This is tongue coating like cough syrup and under carbonated.

Overall- This beer was my hope for a good east coast/Midwest sour ale. I'm hoping there are better sours out in that direction. I feel spoiled with RR, LA and Cascade sours at my constant disposal but they are excellent for comparison. This one should be classified as a fruit beer because it is plainly sweet without a sour or tart quality. Glad to try it but disappointed. (1,216 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a nice rusty mahogany with a silky tan head. Nose has tart cherries, ripe pitted fruits, sweet malts and acidic grapes. Taste is also full of fresh, vibrant cherries. Dry, acidic finish. Crisp, refreshing body. Another great beer from Kuhnhenn and my first sour from them! (278 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -54.6%

Shared by DSC... Served in tulips...

The first sip was awful.

But it gets better... Slightly...

A VERY murky beer-- reddish brown in color. Small tan head. Spots of lacing... Meh.

The smell is insanely sweet. Wow. Sour cherries... Vinegar... The taste is only slightly better-- huge sweetness, vinegar, sour cherries, and a mustiness that I can't place...
The sourness is intense-- but the sweetness trumps it! This beer is WAAAY too sweet. This is like cough syrup with some sourness..
The body is undercarbonated... It is syrupy. Not something I like,

Overall-- this is one I could skip the next time around... It isn't TERRIBLE, but is doesn't wow me in any aspect. I am sorely disappointed in this beet. (713 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14%

A- Pours a deep, dark, reddish brown color with a very small, off white head that fades quickly.

S- Cherry, cedar, slightly medicinal

T- I was hit with a barrage of flavor. A deep tartness up front moves on to huge, dark cherry notes, sweetness, brown sugar, underlying wood and prickly hints of hop that are almost masked by a slight lingering sourness.

M- Thick with low carbonation.

D- This was an amazing beer that didnt look or smell like it tasted. (458 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

Thanks goes to one of my Michigan hookups. I received a couple bottles and I'm not sure which one this is from.

A: Pours dark cinnamon brown with blood red edges. Tiny amount of beige head leaves soapy lace.

S: Full on booze soaked black cherries. Bits of pie crust and spices. A tiny amount of play doh and wet wood.

T: The cherry flavors shine. Out of the gate it's tart and has a nice bite. This slowly fades into a smooth sweet cherry pie flavor. A decent amount of cinnamon and tart apples in the finish make this taste exactly like a piece of pie. Not a trace of booze.

M: Smooth creamy body with light carbonation.

D: This is about the most drinkable 11.5 abv beer I've ever tasted. I would keep a case of this in the cellar if I could. (751 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to MasterSki. Alex sent this along as an extra. Bottle is from summer 2010, and reads "Imperial Olde Bruin." ABV is 10.5% rather than 11.5%, but I am assuming that this is where this review belongs.

Poured into my tulip glass, the color is a deep purple-infused brown. There is a fleeting head that disappears as soon as I stop pouring. Around the edges of the glass, when in the presence of light, there is a rich ruby hue highlighted by bright amber edges.

The aroma is delicious. Sour cherries, cocoa powder, sherry grapes, and balsamic sweetness highlight the bouquet. Very little funk or acetic sourness, the sourness that manifests itself here is much more subdued. The flavor follows suit very well. Sour cherries are extremely prominent, but I also get strong notes of sherry and cocoa. There are hints of vanilla in the finish. Again, there is a sweetness from balsamic notes, and it comes close to nullifying the sourness from what tastes like lactic bacteria. One of the more balanced and enjoyable oud bruins that I have been able to enjoy. And for the 10.5% ABV, there isn't the slightest hint that this could do it to ya.

Slick on the palate, but light enough in texture from the low residual sugars, this is pretty much spot on in my eyes. While it could use more carbonation, the lack thereof does not really detract from the feel, though I do wonder if there wouldn't be a bit more complexity with some carbonation to open it up a little. Extremely enjoyable and easy drinking, this could be dangerous, as it doesn't show a hint of the booze. (1,569 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

A huge thanks to erikkoppin for this generous beer. A 2010 version labeled "Imperial Olde Brune Summer Solstice" and is 10.5% rather than 11.5%.

Appearance - Pours a dark copper color into my RR Tulip. Less than a finger of head is achieved with a relatively vigorous pour that leaves little lacing.

Smell - Wow, cherries and cherry flavored licorice (not so much the "black" licorice smell but the kind of cherry licorice you could buy growing up at the candy store). Slight molasses, oak, and honestly reminds me a bit of cough syrup. [edit] Also reminds me of Belgian Red from NG.

Taste - Damn! I freaking loved the first sip. After letting it warm a bit and allowing the flavors to fully reveal themselves, I can honestly say this is a damn good beer. Tart, yet sweet, cherries dominate the palate. Slight oak and raisins as the beer warms, though the dominate flavor is cherry (again, reminds me of Belgian Red). There is no medicinal factor to this flavor as I was afraid with the nose. There is definite sweetness (I honestly don't mind most sweet fruity beers like this) but the slight tartness from the cherries just makes this a pleasure.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation.

Drinkability - Insanely drinkable. I get just an ever so slight warming of the throat from this beer, and this is the 2010 version. I can't even imagine how drinkable this will be in a year or two. I am most definitely going to ISO this beer asap. (1,447 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%

12 oz bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip. 2010 on the label.

Thanks to Tickwolf77 for sharing this one on our bday!

A - Hazy mahogany amber with a low light khaki head that's retained very well for the alcohol. Spotty lace is left on the glass.

S - Sour green and red apple aroma with a touch of vinegar. Nice light amber malt backing and notes of maple syrup. A hint of alcohol right away that fades quickly.

T - Delicious apple cider vinegar sourness right up front with a fantastic amber brown malt flavor. A mild hop flavor of earth on the finish. I begin getting a tart cherry flavor as the brew warms up.

M - Great sourness up front but a massive dryness arrests the tongue almost instantly. Medium-light bodied but soft in the entry.

D - 11.5%? Are you kidding me? This is by far the most dangerous beer I've ever had. It drinks like it's 4%, no problem. You could get someone absolutely wrecked off this beer. It's not too sour at all. This one has a scary drinkability level. (999 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11%

A - fleeting lace almost soapy muddy water. Rusty color.

S - newly opened raisin box. Fresh baked cheery pie. Subtle dried apricot sweetness.

T - Sour while directly on the tongue giving way to an incredibly smooth and sweet cherry malt extract. Not hint of tartness. Roasted malt characteristics extremely well blended.

M - Smooth like freshly squeezed fruit juice.

D - Lack of over the top sourness makes this brew an easy drinker.

2010 Edition
Thanks to beefwolf77 for sharing (484 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz bottle into a snifter.

Wow, this is 11.5%?!?!? I never would have guessed. The booze is very well hidden. This is an enjoyable beer - I should have picked up a few more on my last trip to MI, but, alas, I failed to - probably because these were like $5.99 a bottle.

To the review - the beer looks great in the snifter, certainly one of the best colors I've seen in a bruin. It's a ruby red with brown hints, almost like cherry juice. The beer also has a nice bit of head, really impressive for an 11.5. What a great looking beer.

Kuhnhenn Olde Brune smells of cherries - lush, juicy cherries. There's also a healthy dose of acetic acid, giving balsamic vinegar notes. Some oak adds depth and a touch of vanilla. The booze does peek out a bit, but is masked well by the vinegar notes.

This beer tastes great! Probably the best I've had from Kuhnhenn. Seriously, this tastes like fresh, plump cherries and some light vinegar sprinkled on top a caramel malt base. There's a hint of chocolate too, perhaps the malt and the oak teamed up and decided vanilla wasn't enough. What a great tasting offering!!

Mouthfeel is syrupy because of the low carbonation, but it never becomes sticky or reminiscent of cough syrup. That's saying a lot since this is such a cherry-driven beer. The drinkability is nice, especially since this is such a big beer. Very well done! I'm looking out for more next spring in MI! (1,410 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip. Thanks to Romulux for trading me this one!

A - A murky brown body with a small tan head htat quickly dissipates.

S - Very nice cherry aroma. A mix of sweet and sour cherry aromas with a hint of booze at the end.

T - Nice cherry flavor at first. Decently sour but quickly gives way to a malty meaty type flavor that is hard to describe. Pretty sweet in general. Kind of like a heavy red wine in the finish. The cherry up front though is fantastic.

M - pretty thick low carbonated beer.

D - I'm glad this is in a 12oz serving because I don't think I could drink much more. It's certainly a solid beer and provides some nice cherry notes but it's pretty thick and the finish leaves a flavor that I still can't decide if I like or not. I might pick more of this up if I had the chance so I could see how it ages. (851 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19.6%

2010 Vintage

Poured into a wine glass. A light fizzy head appears, but then fades quickly, leaving only a thin ring around the edges of the glass. The body is a clear, dark plum, maroon-red. A few tiny spots of lacing form with a swirl of the glass.

Lots of cherry, almost like hard candy cherry cough drops on the nose. A little bit of ethyl alcohol, toffee and sweet bready malts.

Like the nose, there is quite a bit of cherry in the flavor. Sour, somewhat tart, very sweet. Kind of like cherry cordial. Some toffee and sweet malt. A little too sweet and boozy in my opinion and lacking in complexity.

Mouthfeel is thick, slimy, viscous and laced with warming alcohol. Not bad, but kind of makes this seem like cherry syrup.

Drinkability is average. There is sour cherry in this beer, so Kuhnhenn does deliver that, but in a very one dimensional way. The high ABV is somewhat noticeable and the thickness for this style also cuts down on drinkability. Not necessarily a bad beer, but with beers like Rosso E Marrone in this category, this one doesn't come close. (1,069 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a Hill farmstead tasting glass, revealing decently clear reddish brown body and no head. Very sparkling wine-looking. Smells fruity as well like an oud bruin with cherry cough drops. Lots of cherry there over the sour meatiness.

Tastes sweet up front but shifts into the grainy, almost caramel-y meatiness of the oud bruin that I know. Thread of tartness throughout, but a puckering sort very much like sour fruit. Cherry cough syrup abounds. Mouthfeel is relatively uncarbonated with a slight thickness to it, medium body. Decently drinkable, but the syrupy nature and in-your-face flavors make it more of a sipper.

Overall I'm not disappointed. Glad I got to try this one. (688 characters)

Had at an interesting tasting.

Appearance- Light brown. Red highlights. No head, no lacing.

Smell- Wood! Then some cherry.

Taste- More wood. Damn is this woody. Followed by a seriously tart cherry. It's like sweet cherry cough syrup. Has an amaretto finish. It's hot and sweet, and really oaky. Why is this coming in at 11%?

Mouthfeel- Too thin.

Drinkability- No thanks.

This was not a pleasantness. (410 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

On tap at the Blind Tiger last night.

Dark brown with a dense tan head, retention is great. Nose has vanilla, brown sugar and plenty of it, like an oud bruin on steroids. I also get some burnt sugar, toffee, grapes and port. Palate opens sweet and wine-like, almost dessert wine like with brown sugar, vanilla, light acetic tartness but mostly, overwhelming sweetness. Long fruity finish with berries , this is full in body with light carbonation, almost exquisite in this aspect. Solid stuff. (495 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -16.1%

Thanks to Maskerski for providing this in a recent trade.

I am assuming that I am posting this under the right beer. The label of the bottle I have is different in two different ways. Says "Summer Solstice across the top and 2010 is listed on the upper right. This is different vs. the photo shown. The beer is also titled "Imperial Olde Brune with an abv of 10.5%. I searched the other beers and couldn't find anything closer.

When you are pouring there is a bubbly tan head that forms, but it vanished immediately. The beer is a dull brown color. No lacing.

Aroma is pretty strong and very cherry focused. Really reminds me of a cherry juice.

Flavor certainly follows the aroma. Cherry, cherry, cherry. Pretty sweet with some brown sugar flavors as well. There is some slight tartness here, but I wouldn't call it sour at all. It's on the edge of that strong cough syrup flavor. I think a little more sour and less sweetness would have done wonders for this beer.

Fairly thick body, but not syrup like Tiny carbonation.

I think the sweetness is a little much here to allow you to enjoy an entire bottle. (1,111 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Received this in an awesome box from goryshkewych, thanks again!

Appearance- Pours a translucent mahogany into my glass with minimal head off of an aggressive pour. Enough however to leave a sheet across the top and also leave a touch of lacing as I drank.

Smell- Wow, smells very rich with lots of vanilla, dark cherry, wood, and warming alcohol showing through as well. Smells very nice.

Taste- Lots of similar flavors, with vanilla, rich chocolate covered cherries, wood, and warming booze on the finish. A big flavor profile but a little bit sweet for me and possibly for the style as well.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is a touch this for the big flavors this beer is holding and the drinkability suffers a bit from the sweetness of this one as well. Not bad on either accounts though.

Overall, a very interesting and complex take on the style. As I said though, I found this to be rather sweet and lacking the tartness that I generally find in this style. (971 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz bottle courtesy of hoppymeal, of course.

Pours a murky mahogany with some reddish hints showing through the edges. The head is small and wispy, receding to a thin collar.

The aroma is big and robust with an overarching chocolate covered cherry character. Light tartness mixed with some hefty brown sugar and caramel sweetness.

Taste is sweet as well, with the sugar coated tart cherries dominating. As in the aroma, lots of chocolate and brown sugar which clings to the palate through the finish. Some alcohol burn going down as well.

The mouthfeel is full bodied, slick and very sugary. Soft carbonation and light dry tartness in the finish.

As usual, Kuhnhenn really makes some great beer when there isn't a quality control issue. This is a hefty, sweet oud bruin with just enough tartness to keep things interesting. (829 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy, dark brown with some red specks, hardly any head, and fair lacing

S - Tart cherry juice, vanilla, bourbon, a bit of prune

T - Sweet/tart cherries, a hint of vinegar --> raisins, tobacco --> more dried Montmorency cherries & slightly sour yeast

M - Low carbonation, thick mouthfeel for an Oud Bruin

D - Good for being fruity; not bad for the listed style

So this isn't exactly an Oud Bruin...points adjusted downward. It's still a crazy tasty beer, and perhaps we get carried away with the judging according to style thing sometimes.
(Although it'd not applicable here, I've reviewed several beers which I'd categorize differently than the person who first reviewed it. I bet you have, too.) (714 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%

A_Dark burgundy with blood red highlights. Thin red tinted brown head. Not much lacing.

S_Tart cherry , dark fruits, and a medicinal boozy aroma.

T_Tart cherry upfront. Bittersweet fruits and a hefty alcohol burn. Medicinal aftertaste.

M_Thick and syrupy.

D_Hard enough to choke down one. Perhaps better suited for a smaller serving. (338 characters)

Kuhnhenn Cherry Olde Brune from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company