Kuhnhenn Duvil In Ms Jones Ale - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Duvil In Ms Jones AleKuhnhenn Duvil In Ms Jones Ale

good

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Sammy on 12-25-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

2.25/5  rDev -39%

04-21-2014 23:27:29 | More by sweemzander
coriswrasse

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

12 oz poured in a taster glass. no visible head other than a thin layer. leaves little lacing. peach, apple, tart. great sweet belgiany almost sour mouth feel (low acid). got this in a trade. very excited to have a few more in the cellar. no residuals even though it's a 2011, been sitting upright for a bit. wonderfull fruity Belgian nose taboot. champagne effervescence up front but low acid on the tongue with sweeter balanced finish. overall this was a very good beer and deserves recognition above it's current rating probably due to aging.

04-20-2014 16:36:10 | More by coriswrasse

Connecticut

02-13-2014 02:20:28 | More by BibsBrewing
StoutHunter

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

I got a bottle of Kuhnhenn's Duvil In Ms Jones Ale from my friend as a Birthday gift, thanks a lot Ben. I've never had this beer before, I almost got to try it once, but by the time I got served the keg had blown and I'm interested to see what Kuhnhenn can do with this style, so lets see how it goes. 2011 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks nice, it got a nice design to it and it's a little eye catching, but it still looks like something I could print on my computer. It poured a very cloudy slightly golden burnt orange color that took on more of a orange and burnt orange like color when held to the light along with a finger and a half worth of off white head that quickly died down to a very thin ring that eventually faded away.and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but i wish it left a little bit of lacing behind.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a sour aroma being the first to show up and it's followed by the yeast that imparts some spicy Belgian yeast aromas with a noticeable orange rind aroma. Up next comes the malts that impart a grainy, wheaty, light caramel, and cereal like malt aromas with a slight vinegar like aroma on the finish along with a slightly boozy alcohol aroma. The aroma is nice, but some of the aspects don't mix as well as I would like.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma but not as rough around the edges and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all the aspects that they did in the aroma but they are pretty light and don't stick out nearly as much. Up next comes a nice amount of medium tartness that has a nice sour candy like flavors and that it's followed by the Belgian yeast which imparts all the aspects that it did in the aroma with some nice fruity flavors seeming to stick out the most and they work well with the sour flavor. On the finish there's a little more lingering tartness with a fruity and light Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This beer tasted pretty good, I thought the sourness worked pretty well with the fruity flavors.

M- Fairly smooth, not very acidic, a little refreshing, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel that worked very well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought it really wasn't the best example of an authentic Belgian Strong Pale Ale, it didn't have all the qualitys that I look for in the style and the sourness isn't something that you normally get with this style, but that still doesn't take away from how much I enjoyed this beer, while it wasn't a great Belgian Strong Pale Ale, it was still a good beer. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too acidic, not overly sour, a little refreshing, not filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I might be able to drink two bottles, but I think one is the perfect amount and I think it would make for a good beer to enjoy in the summer. What I liked the most about this beer was the how well the sourness worked with the fruity flavor and I also thought that the mouthfeel was very nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it was a little rough around the edges and the malts didn't seem to work that well with the sour aspect. I would buy a bottle of this if I saw it, and I think it cellared well, I would like to try it fresh and I would recommend this to people who like medium sour beers. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer even though it was nothing like I was expecting I still found myself enjoying it and I think it's fine just the way it is. It isn't my favorite Belgian Strong Pale Ale, or my favorite Kuhnhenn beer, but it's still a pretty good beer nonetheless. Good job guys, think for another good and unique beer.

02-12-2014 04:44:04 | More by StoutHunter
CTJman

Connecticut

02-08-2014 15:52:42 | More by CTJman
buschbeer

3.41/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 fl oz bottle
Served in a tulip glass
Bottled in 2011

A - it looks like a cloudy sunset, orange in the middle with golden highlights. It is topped with an inch of off-white head.

S - It has a strong aroma. It smells sour. I get some light fruits and alcohol.

T - The first taste made me cringe. It is definitely sour. It has a sour pear taste? It is odd.

M - Medium

O - I think this is a bad bottle. I will have to read other reviews to see if my experience was unique or the norm. Regardless, the sourness made it interesting. After a while it became a decent sour. I am not sure this was the intention though.

02-01-2014 03:41:11 | More by buschbeer