Kuhnhenn Duvil In Ms Jones Ale - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Duvil In Ms Jones AleKuhnhenn Duvil In Ms Jones Ale

good

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Sammy on 12-25-2011)
Reviews by JamnesCameron:
3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a Kuhnhenn tulip. Pours a slightly hazy orange with minimal/no head, just a wisp of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Aromas of lactic sourness, yeasty, and citrusy, juicy orange and lemon notes.

Flavor is lightly soured, with a sour citrus punch that draws in the cheeks. Oranges and lemons dominate. No hops present. Good prickly carbonation.

Mouthfeel is light, hides the alcohol very well. Slight puckering sourness.

Overall not what I expected, but a pleasant surprise. Nice, balanced sourness, if it was intentional, which I don't think it was. But good none the less.

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

On tap at Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice Night Two. A so-so Belgian. No aroma, light orange with no head. Some orange taste, a little fruit. A little sour finish, supplementing the sweet yeast and honey. Not too drinkable. A tad boozy and very much uninteresting.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Got a bottle of this after 2011 Winter Solstice. Translucent pale golden-amber color with very little head. Highly effervescent. Smells fruity (I get strawberries) and yeasty. Fruitiness comes through in the taste as well. It's sweet but finishes dry without much bitterness. The alcohol is hidden well at 8.5%. Medium mouthfeel and I find this very drinkable. I just wish they wouldn't charge so much for these bottles. Overall, fruity and enjoyable.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet. Bottle courtesy of chpueblo22. 2011.

Appearance - Pours with a minimal head and no lacing. Orange and a bit cloudy. Mostly lifeless and pretty unexciting looking.

Smell - Tons of citrus and honey sweetness. Orange peel, primarily. Interesting smell.

Taste - And it falls flat here. That same orange brightness is muted, but still a bit present. Bready malts overpower it. The orange returns as quite a tangy citrus finish. Strange and perhaps unpleasant.

Mouthfeel - Heavy and it feels like 8.5%, no more or less, I suppose. Minimal carbonation doesn't help that.

Overall - Not exactly a bad beer, but lacking in any distinctive qualities. Not really having any problem finishing it, but not something I'd drink again.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 fl oz bottle
Served in a tulip glass
Bottled in 2011

A - it looks like a cloudy sunset, orange in the middle with golden highlights. It is topped with an inch of off-white head.

S - It has a strong aroma. It smells sour. I get some light fruits and alcohol.

T - The first taste made me cringe. It is definitely sour. It has a sour pear taste? It is odd.

M - Medium

O - I think this is a bad bottle. I will have to read other reviews to see if my experience was unique or the norm. Regardless, the sourness made it interesting. After a while it became a decent sour. I am not sure this was the intention though.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Bought at Kuhnhenn's Winter Solstice Party

As Beeradvocate referenced: "Duvel is the quintessential example of this style, and many others have tried to imitate it with similar references to the devil". Which is certainly the case for this beers name.

A&S: Right off the bat it was very yeasty (and bready but that comes with the yeasty territory) and fruity tones (raspberry). When pour into a glass it turns a little strong and actually smelt less like a belgian and more like a wheat. I also kinda smells like hard cider. Pours about a finger and half of white head when poured down the center. Head dies down to a thin layer in a minute. Transparent straw (with tints of orange) colored beer. Kinda dead looking (no carbonation bubbles present).

T&M: Doesn't really fell Similar to the smell: yeast is the main taste I'm tasting. There a strong element of fruitiness with a sour finish. Not a lot of hops going on in this one. Alcohol is hidden well. Low bodied, and on the low side of carbonation (as the look would suggest). I think this beer should have either have been more carbonated or have a more full body.

O: 7$ a bottle whoa! Not going to buy it again (it wasn't anything special), but it wasn't horrible.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

I got a bottle of Kuhnhenn's Duvil In Ms Jones Ale from my friend as a Birthday gift, thanks a lot Ben. I've never had this beer before, I almost got to try it once, but by the time I got served the keg had blown and I'm interested to see what Kuhnhenn can do with this style, so lets see how it goes. 2011 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks nice, it got a nice design to it and it's a little eye catching, but it still looks like something I could print on my computer. It poured a very cloudy slightly golden burnt orange color that took on more of a orange and burnt orange like color when held to the light along with a finger and a half worth of off white head that quickly died down to a very thin ring that eventually faded away.and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but i wish it left a little bit of lacing behind.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a sour aroma being the first to show up and it's followed by the yeast that imparts some spicy Belgian yeast aromas with a noticeable orange rind aroma. Up next comes the malts that impart a grainy, wheaty, light caramel, and cereal like malt aromas with a slight vinegar like aroma on the finish along with a slightly boozy alcohol aroma. The aroma is nice, but some of the aspects don't mix as well as I would like.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma but not as rough around the edges and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all the aspects that they did in the aroma but they are pretty light and don't stick out nearly as much. Up next comes a nice amount of medium tartness that has a nice sour candy like flavors and that it's followed by the Belgian yeast which imparts all the aspects that it did in the aroma with some nice fruity flavors seeming to stick out the most and they work well with the sour flavor. On the finish there's a little more lingering tartness with a fruity and light Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This beer tasted pretty good, I thought the sourness worked pretty well with the fruity flavors.

M- Fairly smooth, not very acidic, a little refreshing, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel that worked very well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought it really wasn't the best example of an authentic Belgian Strong Pale Ale, it didn't have all the qualitys that I look for in the style and the sourness isn't something that you normally get with this style, but that still doesn't take away from how much I enjoyed this beer, while it wasn't a great Belgian Strong Pale Ale, it was still a good beer. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too acidic, not overly sour, a little refreshing, not filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I might be able to drink two bottles, but I think one is the perfect amount and I think it would make for a good beer to enjoy in the summer. What I liked the most about this beer was the how well the sourness worked with the fruity flavor and I also thought that the mouthfeel was very nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it was a little rough around the edges and the malts didn't seem to work that well with the sour aspect. I would buy a bottle of this if I saw it, and I think it cellared well, I would like to try it fresh and I would recommend this to people who like medium sour beers. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer even though it was nothing like I was expecting I still found myself enjoying it and I think it's fine just the way it is. It isn't my favorite Belgian Strong Pale Ale, or my favorite Kuhnhenn beer, but it's still a pretty good beer nonetheless. Good job guys, think for another good and unique beer.

Kuhnhenn Duvil In Ms Jones Ale from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company