Kuhnhenn Simcoe Silly - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Simcoe SillyKuhnhenn Simcoe Silly

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

This Pale American Belgo style beer was 2010 GABF’s silver medal winner. It has notes of spicy pineapple, mango bubblegum aromas which comes from the unique marriage of a special Belgian yeast and an American Simcoe hop. This beer has an initial soft malt sweetness with orange fruitiness and finishes with a hoppy dryness.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-08-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Simcoe Silly Alström Bros
leadahmer

12-07-2013 00:57:00 | More by leadahmer
paco1029384756

2.08/5  rDev -45.7%

Pours a nice deep orange color with a small white head.

Scent of yeast, hops, sugars, some fruit, perfume and a hint of alcohol. The Belgian yeast and strong perfume are too overpowering for me to like this scent.

Taste is equally unimpressive, strong flowers, perfume, Belgian yeast, dank hops, earth and some alcohol. The flowery taste is too damn strong; a very unappealing beer to me. The worst craft beer I had had in a while.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with low carbonation.

06-22-2009 01:11:15 | More by paco1029384756
Dithyramb

Maryland

2.2/5  rDev -42.6%

This is one of the last beers from BIF14 leftover in my cellar and my last Kuhnhenn brew. Silly would adequately describe the labeling, very 80’s in style. No freshness dating on the 12 oz, but it appears to be bottle conditioned. Little description as to the beer or the brewery, something that was evident with the bombers I’ve had of the other brews.

Poured a slightly hazy amber hued tea shade, with a nice, large bubbled head. It reduced to a thin veneer that stayed on the top of the brew with spotty lacing. There is a hearty stream of carbonation all around the glass with both small and large bubbles.
Has a floral and sweet yeasty aroma with a light hint of hops and candy sweetness

Taste was a perfume and floral tinted mess. Finish was bubblegum sweet and slightly chalky. It was quite difficult to finish. One might notice that all the numbers are quite high, except for the taste and drinkability category. This had basically the same floral flavor I experienced with the Devil’s Horn, though slightly muted from that. Not sure what this is coming from, perhaps the simcoe hops? Either way, it completely distracted me from the other flavors that may have been in there. My score came for two reasons. First, I definitely did not like the flavor. Second, I don’t feel that this adequately stays close to what one would expect from the style.

Mouthfeel was medium and it finished quite clean and refreshing after an initial sticky sweetness. Won’t rate this very high on the drinkable scale, due to the seriously heavy perfume flavor.

02-10-2005 14:57:46 | More by Dithyramb
Thorpe429

2.2/5  rDev -42.6%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured a moderate orange-copper color with a white head that didn't last long at all and really didn't provide any sort of lacing. The nose was just a mess with some yeast going atop some pine and floral hops and the floral hops taking on a grassy, medicinal astringency. The taste was a bit worse with a bit of alcohol and the flavors just clashing completely. Alcohol in the feel. This just did not drink well and was unfortunately not a good beer. I'd like to think I just got this at the wrong time and would be up for trying it again, as I'm normally a fan of pretty much everything that Kuhnhenn does.

11-12-2010 12:46:19 | More by Thorpe429
ajzy

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

08-05-2013 21:32:48 | More by ajzy
oline73

Maryland

2.6/5  rDev -32.1%

I had this on-tap at the brewpub. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a ring of creamy off white head that leaves some lacing.

Smell: Mild banana and a bit buttery with some malt sweetness. Not picking up much as far as the hops go.

Taste: Malt with some citrus hops and banana. The buttery smell carries over and makes it seem that this one is a bit off.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the thick side of medium with a dry finish.

Overall: The weird off flavor took over this beer for me. It could have been good, but just didn't get there.

11-22-2011 04:30:16 | More by oline73
jawneyt

Wisconsin

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

04-05-2012 03:02:26 | More by jawneyt
Sixpack595

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

OK, I gotta be honest. I heard good things about this beer, especially the aroma. It smells like a sack full of buttholes. I tried drinking it but the rank smell scared the hell out of me. If you hold your nose its actally not a bad beer, the mouthfeel is solid, the taste isn't bad...the only problem is it stinks. Drinkability suffers due to the fact I need to hold my nose to drink it. That gets old quick. I just got a cast removed from my broken hand. The beer smells alot like that nasty old cast.

07-29-2005 08:37:45 | More by Sixpack595
rudylaw

On tap @ HopCat

Served in a tulip glass with a tiny white head.

Grapefruit, banana and perfume in the nose and the taste buds. They don't really go that well together. Medium carbonation and a thin mouthfeel. One glass is all I care to muster.

I really wanted to try an offering from Kuhnhenn on tap and I was totally and completely underwhelmed by this beer.

07-26-2009 17:03:32 | More by rudylaw

06-26-2013 04:27:09 | More by thomseye
kkipple

South Carolina

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Some generous Canadians grabbed a few growlers for us on the way to Dark Lord Day! Thanks, eh?

Anyhow, this here Simcoe Silly pours a hazy, dirty orange and sports a very redneck looking fat, lumpy, eggshell head two fingers tall. I think I caught a glimpse of mullet in there, too.

What the...? The smell is outta control! Pineapple, cinnamon, citrus hops, pepper, lemon, banana, cardamom? MANGO?! What's going on here? It's ester madness, folks. I can't say that it smells harmonious, but it's certainly different... the last beer I had with this sort of memorable nose was likely Hitachino Nest Festive...

The kitchen-soup approach continues on as I taste the brew. It's massively spiced -- too spiced -- with cinnamon, clove, orange peel and brown sugar. By the time you add the booze and all manner of bizarre fruits, my gums are bleeding and my eyes are turning spice-blue! It's near sickly sweet and makes me feel like I'm drinking some sort of potpourri. Not really my... cough.... bag.

Mouthfeel is middling, nice carbonation level actually. Finishes spicy-orange and sweet. Again.

While Simcoe Silly gets my nod for the oddest beer to cross my gullet lately, it earns little else. It's just too much. The flavors don't mesh all that well... you know that crazy uncle of yours who has no social graces and tries to compensate by telling dirty jokes (loudly) at family gatherings? Yeah, that's this beer.

05-18-2008 02:02:23 | More by kkipple
Bubba83

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Bottle provided by Kegatron, thanks!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tumbler at 45 degrees. Kuhnhenn's labels never have any information, and I figured this was an IPA, so I used a tumbler. Now that I realize this is a Belgian Strong Pale, I wish I had used a tulip.

Pours a super hazy burnt orange color with hardly any head at all. A super vigorous pour only yielded maybe 1 finger width of bright white creamy froth. Retention is okay, and lacing is mediocre.

Smells pretty interesting, with a lot of honey, caramely sweetness coming through. There's plenty of clove here as well as black pepper and some spicy phenolic character too. The alcohol sting is apparent in the nose as well. I get a sprucey aroma here too, but it's sort of in the background. Nice and complex.

Taste-wise I was a little let down after the aroma, it comes off pretty darn sweet with a lot of caramelized honey type flavors. This fades into some medicinal type components, followed by some clove-like spice and earth. I've never been a huge fan of simcoe hops, and I don't understand what they are contributing here. There's maybe some juniper bush flavor from them, but otherwise, we just finish up with some alcohol heat and more phenols.

The mouthfeel seems a bit too thick, and it is also pretty wet. I much prefer my Belgian Strong Pales to be dry, medium-bodied, and pop a bit in my mouth. The carbonation just isn't really showing up to the party at all.

It drinks okay for a beer of its strength I guess, but the alcohol isn't covered up all that well. Because of the wet finish I'm not finding it refreshing and I am not eager to get to the next sip. So far my least favorite Kuhnhenn beer I've tried.

06-25-2010 07:35:30 | More by Bubba83
kohoutek

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Purchased at The Beer Depot in Ann Arbor. 12 oz bottle. No age information.

Pours an orange/amber hue with quality medium-fine bubbles and persistant lace. Somewhat cloudy and murky, definitely bottle conditioned.

This beer smells odd. It definitely has Belgian scented style: apricots, fresh malt, a touch of dried citrus fruit, estery banana, clove-like, spicy phenols. The hops seem to clash a bit with the yeast and malt backbone. A bit too much competion and a serious lack of integration. It seems like I am smelling two beers mixed together. They have similar profiles, but they do not mesh. A serious booze smell permeates everything.

I am immediately met by the warmth of the ethanol. This is a big beer, but the alcohol is very present throughout the entire drinking experience. The big, rich dried apricots and pears, fresh wort and spicy yeast are dominated by firewater.

A pleasant hopping rate and rich sweetness compliment each other. The higher alcohols and a subtle, yet present bitterness cut through the sweet, sticky fruits nicely.

Drinkability: This would be a much better beer with a noble hop variety or when the hops were more present. Its good, but not great or haunting in any way.

The hop freshness in this beer was low. I am very interested in trying this one a bit younger. It is named after a hop afterall, no?

07-11-2006 01:43:00 | More by kohoutek
Mitchster

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

BSPA? Ummm...okay. Don't expect such a thing when it's your time to drink it. It may be brewed with a Belgian yeast, but this does not it make. Medium amber with a sparse off-white head. Mild-moderate carbonation. Aroma is all pink bubble-gum and lots of it. Big bodied with a sweet, sticky lollipop taste. Cloying with moderate fusels in the finish. Bitterness is mild. Not really my cup of tea. I figured this would be the best of the evening but it really fell short.

04-27-2007 18:36:45 | More by Mitchster
tectactoe

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%

On tap at the Oak Cafe. Pours a somewhat cloudy and dull golden color with a half-inch white head that leaves really nice lacing on the glass, even just as it's settling at the top. The head is magnificent, although I with the color of the beer was a bit more lively and vibrant.

The aroma is a bit subdued and hidden - it takes quite a few whiffs to really gets something appreciable out of here. At first I'm picking up almost a weird pickled garlic type aroma... That can't be right, can it?? After a bit of warming, some more aromas thankfully arrive; herbal and leafy hops, light hints of white pepper. A bit medicinal on the nose, as well. Overall, I'm not completely digging the aroma here.

Meh, and the taste is nothing special either. It gives off a sharp clove spice with a brash, harsh bitterness that empowers its way through the spices at the start. The bitterness is formed through a combination of earthy hops and a heavy dirt flavor. The hop profile is so leafy and ashy and it's just not mingling well on my palate.

There also seems to be a slight chalky character that couples with the medicinal aroma to create a somewhat off-putting collaboration. Mild bubblegum flavors pop at the end, most likely from the Belgian yeast used. I know this is supposed to mimic a "Belgian IPA", but I feel like they tried too hard and it just didn't work out. Medium-thin body with lots of carbonation.

Kuhnhenn puts out some great beers. Some fantastic beers. This is neither. This is barely above average at best. Too many weird aromas and flavors that just didn't play well together, and definitely didn't agree with my palate. I'll pass on this one next time.

03-04-2013 12:58:40 | More by tectactoe
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured into tulip glass.

Pours less than a half a finger of creamy white head. Head fades down to a minimal layer, but some spider-web lace marks are left behind. Color is hazy burnt orange copper.

Aroma: Quite interesting flavor here. I initially get a big banana aroma, with some cloves and yeast. Then I get a huge lemon citrus flavor. All backed up with earthy hops It is very sweet and interesting.

Taste: I have to admit I wasn't expecting to taste the amount of alcohol that I am tasting in this beer. The flavor is very musky. Bananas, cloves, lemon citrus, yeast, caramel all mash together for a taste that isn't too enjoyable. Some earthy hops are present as well.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, a little bitter, all mixed with a nice amount of alcohol. Medium body with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends with a sticky mixed flavored aftertaste.

Overall, this beer just does not work. Nothing seems to fit together at all. Too much alcohol, too musky, and too much going on at once (in a bad way). Maybe I got a bad bottle, in which I would reevaluate, other I really don't plan on drinking this one again.

09-22-2009 00:36:20 | More by mothman

POTABLE83

10-18-2013 16:03:14 | More by POTABLE83
jzeilinger

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

A - Pours a hazy, cloudy amber copper color with no head and a very thin micro-lacing of foam. Looks like mayhem in a glass.

S - Musty, spicy, Belgian caramel malt. Simcoe hops are nowhere to be found in the nose of this is the main hop event for this beer (based on the name). Some mild banana in the nose as well.

T - Bananas, cloves, spices, and a little bready. The citrus is there from the Simcoe but it's very subdued and buried. I do credit this beer for completely hiding the alcohol.

M - Thick medium, gentle carbonation on the tongue, lingering spice and banana aftertaste.

O - Based on the name, I was expecting more bitterness. Overall, a decent beer, but too thick for a Belgian style and not bitter enough for an IPA.

03-14-2012 21:54:04 | More by jzeilinger