Kuhnhenn Simcoe Silly - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Simcoe SillyKuhnhenn Simcoe Silly

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-08-2003

This Pale American Belgo style beer was 2010 GABF’s silver medal winner. It has notes of spicy pineapple, mango bubblegum aromas which comes from the unique marriage of a special Belgian yeast and an American Simcoe hop. This beer has an initial soft malt sweetness with orange fruitiness and finishes with a hoppy dryness.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Simcoe Silly Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Growler courtesy of Puzzl over on RB. RateBrackets 2010. I have had this many different times over the years so it was nice to re-visit this beer. Hazy orange pour with a fizzy off white head and drippy lace. Aroma is dusty with subtle hints of tropical fruit and pine. Hops were rather subdued in comparison with my previous samples of this beer. Drinks like a saison with a modest hop bite. Spicy dry finish.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

This is an interesting brew. Its a bit weaker than a regular Belgian Strong, but not hoppy enough to be a Belgian IPA. Regardless of style, it's a very drinkable offering.

Pours a burnt orange, with a couple fingers of creamy off-white head. Good retention and some nice lace. Big sweet aroma, full of candy, banana and sweet fruit. Smells more like a delicious dessert than anything. Flavour is neat - lots of big sweet esters, and a nice dose of candy sugar dominate. Everything else is tropical fruit, and I'm getting some mango, banana, pineapple and cantaloupe. Touch of cinamon in the finish. Medium to low bitterness, with the sweetness taking the edge off the bite. Perhaps a bit simple, but tasty nonetheless. Smooth, almost oily, body, with a restrained carbonation, which I liked.

I think I liked this out of all proportion. It seemed fairly simple, but at the same time insanely drinkable. Really good stuff. Thanks to Andrew for bringing this growler back from Michigan!

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Tried at a smoky bar :-( This was my first and only review there due to compromising conditions. Thank goodness MI is going smoke free in May! Served in a pint

A: 1 finger of ivory head with fantastic retention. Golden-red with a brown tinge that is the only negative.
S: Very spicy, floral, delicious. I expected Man Candy or green apple from the Simcoe hops. Banana and clove are in here too. Thought it was a hoppy wheat while drinking. It makes sense that it is a Belgian Strong Golden.
T: Tasty. Hoppy but with good balance. Definitely tastes like an APA or a hoppy wheat.
M: Solid, round. Nice biterness.
D: Very nice. I'd like another and would buy again. I'd maybe get a pack of these for a party.

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at the Kuhnhenn brew pub. Poured a clear, dark golden orange with little head. Had a sweet orange fruit taste with a hop bite up front, and finished with a yeasty spice kind of after taste. Almost like a belgian. Well I guess they have it classifed as belgian on here, and the brew put had it listed as a golden ale. It was a interesting offering, thats for sure. The 8.5% alc wasn't noticable at all. Decent beer overall.

4.07/5  rDev +6%

Picked a growler of this up last night at Bierkraft in Brooklyn.

Pours a very dark golden orange/amber color with hazy golden orange/peach hues when held to a light source and a one finger frothy, pillowy off-white head that has good retention, slowly fading into a lasting ring that coats the glass with streaks of soapy sheets of lacing.

Earthy floral hop aroma with hints of bready yeast, citrus peel, zest peppery spice and slight light fruit. Hints of grapefruit and lemon peel compliment the dank oily ops and there is also a decent graham cracker biscuit malt presence.

Chewy mull body with a lot of fresh floral hop bitterness as well as some nice sweet citrus character. The bitterness from the hops last but become less prominent as they are countered by the graham cracker and biscuit malts as well as a very prominent bready yeast character. Hits of light crisp fruit and ripe banana add to the complexity but the hops are the star here. As mentioned above they are very floral and sweet up front with a slight bitterness that lasts throughout into a delicious dry finish. The ABV is excellently masked making it dangerously drinkable. Usually I don't like hoppy beers to have this much of a malt backbone but I really enjoyed this one. i

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

(From notes)

A - Light clear vibrant orange color; pure white head; spotty lacing down the glass

S - Lightly yeasty; white grapes; touch sweet and fruity overall

T - Yeasty at first; light fruits; a lot of sweetness creeps in; not bad, but not great

M - Medium, a bit slick; soft carbonation

D - Not all that interesting, and a bit sweet for me with regard to the style

Not a bad brew, but not my favorite from Kuhnhenn.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

Well, I was TOLD this was a strong IPA, so I was kind of disappointed. But to see here that it was a strong belgian pale ale, then it seems much more spot on. It poured a pretty clear dark coppery and smelled of light fruits and hops. The taste was pretty sweet and hoppy but finished slightly bland. It's mouthfeel was pretty decent and decently drinkable--but not enjoyable enough for me to want to.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to ogglethorp for this one, poured into a tulip.

Pours a hazy golden brown, very much tea-like, with a small off-white head that recedes to a creamy collar and a soapy swirl in the middle.

The aroma is an interesting combination of piny hops from the simcoe and the sweetness of the candi sugar. There is a hint of spices as well, but the simcoe is most prevalent. Overall the nose is pretty tame.

Wow, the taste is really big with so many disparate tastes hitting the tongue at once. The first thing I got is the candi sugar and Belgian yeast, like a big Belgian beer. But the simcoe really turns it on in the middle and the finish is massively floral with tons of pine resin along with lots of spiciness from the yeast.

The mouthfeel is slick is full-bodied with low, soft carbonation and a definite alcohol burn, especially in the finish. It's almost syrupy, especially as it builds up after each sip.

This is another interesting big beer from Kuhnhenn and the aroma didn't prepare me for the onslaught that I was going to get in the taste. Tons of different flavors from sweetness to floral to almost purfumy. I'm not convinced it comes together perfectly but I'm enjoying sipping on it.

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured into tulip glass.

Pours less than a half a finger of creamy white head. Head fades down to a minimal layer, but some spider-web lace marks are left behind. Color is hazy burnt orange copper.

Aroma: Quite interesting flavor here. I initially get a big banana aroma, with some cloves and yeast. Then I get a huge lemon citrus flavor. All backed up with earthy hops It is very sweet and interesting.

Taste: I have to admit I wasn't expecting to taste the amount of alcohol that I am tasting in this beer. The flavor is very musky. Bananas, cloves, lemon citrus, yeast, caramel all mash together for a taste that isn't too enjoyable. Some earthy hops are present as well.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, a little bitter, all mixed with a nice amount of alcohol. Medium body with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends with a sticky mixed flavored aftertaste.

Overall, this beer just does not work. Nothing seems to fit together at all. Too much alcohol, too musky, and too much going on at once (in a bad way). Maybe I got a bad bottle, in which I would reevaluate, other I really don't plan on drinking this one again.

3.4/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Acquired this in a trade thanks to cosco. Pours honey in color with white head. I had no idea what to expect of this beer. I just assumed from the name that it would be an IPA, but that's not the case. Honestly, I don't know whether this is supposed to be any specific style. Regardless, on the nose, I'm getting hops (simcoe, I assume), sweet malt, and a tad of honey. Same with the taste, which is quite sweet and floral. But there are also some clove and spice qualities characteristic of a Belgian brew. So perhaps this is a hybrid? Body is a tad on the thick syrupy side for my taste, and drinkability suffers for it. An interesting beer, but it doesn't come across as tightly focused. A bit of multiple personality disorder here with too much going on for my taste.

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

A - Murky light honey, good head leaves slow to disk. Lots of cling left.

S - Tart maltiness is the best I can offer.

T - Big time green apple and hop bomb. Weird and leaves a nasty aftertaste for me.

M - Good carb, balance is not to my liking.

D - I don't think I will make it through this one beer.

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

A solid pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a fat one-finger thick, pale tan colored head. As I pour this I get a solid, cracker grain note. The beer has a rich red, amber color to it that shows a somewhat hazed, copper hue when held up to the light. A more focused look at the aroma yields a super fruity note that reminds me of a cross between pineapples and peaches, as well as some juicy fruit gum aromatics, lots of lychee, notes of ripe mango and candied papaya. All of this is backed by a pale malt toastiness that smells of sugar soaked whole wheat crackers. While the hop character is dominant, it is supported and accentuated by a yeast derived fruitiness and a touch of sweet clove phenolics. The mix of Belgian yeast and Simcoe hops really brings out an intense, sugar preserved fruit character out in the nose of this beer. It is quite interesting and might actually even be a bit much.

This is quite sweet tasting up front, though the beer finishes with a touch of astringency and a dry, cracker driven malt character. The upfront sweetness melds well with a punchy fruitiness that reminds me of juicy fruit gum, hubba Bubba bubblegum notes, as well as tropical & fruit notes of lychee, apricot, kumquat peel and a sort of super charged, almost tropical fruit leaning orange zest note. The bitterness is kept fairly low in this beer, but it does sneak into the long finish along with a spicy, phenolic clove note that is kept pretty well in check. Actually clove flavors contribute throughout the flavor profile, but are kept in relative balance to the other flavors. There is also a touch of earthy spiciness that is reminiscent of herbal coriander here in the flavor as well. The alcohol is quite well hidden here, and while this does have a touch of viscous heft to it, this beer is actually not overly heavy for a 10% beer; it doesn't have quite the drinkability of the most digestible Belgian beers though.

An interesting beer, it definitely works for the most part, though it can be a touch cloying at times (though not really if you take the 10% alcohol into account). This is a nice beer, one that certainly combines the Simcoe hops and the Belgian yeast pretty well, but somehow it seems like it could have been much more interesting; I am not exactly sure why though, perhaps it is a touch too sweet, and it doesn't quite seem complex enough somehow.

On tap @ HopCat

Served in a tulip glass with a tiny white head.

Grapefruit, banana and perfume in the nose and the taste buds. They don't really go that well together. Medium carbonation and a thin mouthfeel. One glass is all I care to muster.

I really wanted to try an offering from Kuhnhenn on tap and I was totally and completely underwhelmed by this beer.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

A growler filled at the brewery on 20-Jul-09 during our tour of Michigan.

A: The ale is dark amber, an orange/brown combination that renders it semi-translucent. Good carbonation after almost one week resulted in a head of a finger and a half that left small patches of lace.

S: The nose is slow to get moving, gradually emerging from its shell. As it does, simcoe comes first with medicinal citrus hops. Weizen elements, banana and clove, also get into the act and even manage to overpower the hops at times. The nose is muddled and takes a while to get going...

T: ...Luckily the taste kicks off with a bang. Banana and clove lead the way with simcoe hops lingering below the surface with a sharp counterpoint to the sweetness. As the ale sits on the palate, boozy heat and stronger hops emerge to challange the flavor. My notes include the terms 'resounding weizen sweetness' and 'strong hoppy dryness'. Bubblegum sweetness is the lingering flavor.

M: The weizen sweetness and simcoe hoppiness are a very interesting combination, a masterful hybrid. The unusual flavors, I love 'em, and could let them linger for a long long time.

D: I don't view this as a Belgian strong pale ale, rather a weizen-IPA mix (a German IPA, perhaps?). Whatever it is, I like it and could tolerate another glass or two.

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

Served in a tulip, low white head, good lacing, amber body. Grapefruit dominates on this first beer of the day. Same on the nose. Very easy to drink, lightly bitter. Balanced carbonation and sweet/bitterness. Banana, and bubble gum in the finish. Wheat malts?

2.12/5  rDev -44.8%

Pours a nice deep orange color with a small white head.

Scent of yeast, hops, sugars, some fruit, perfume and a hint of alcohol. The Belgian yeast and strong perfume are too overpowering for me to like this scent.

Taste is equally unimpressive, strong flowers, perfume, Belgian yeast, dank hops, earth and some alcohol. The flowery taste is too damn strong; a very unappealing beer to me. The worst craft beer I had had in a while.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with low carbonation.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at HopCat. Snifter arrives a darker golden orange hue, little foam and a still top.

Nose and taste are big. Huge yeast and malt notes, citric notes from both hops and yeast, biscuity, slightly acrid and slightly overwhelming bitterness from the yeasts, not a pleasant hop bitterness. Big on both esters and hops though esters come though stronger - still not integrated well enough. Big malts, big yeast, big hops - too bad it just doesn't add up to a supremely delicious brew.

Growler (29/04/2010): Juicier than I remember it being on tap but esters still dominating. Big and bold and still doesn't pull it together for me. Thanks to Bartle!

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Big thanks to DrJay for sending me this one. I love to get my hands on anything new from these boys, and this one was right up my alley. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 05/18/2009.
The pour was very rich and very hazy. Thick looking bright amber orange in color with a bit of sediment hitting the ground below it. Smooth white head of an inch or so on the top settling down effortlessly into a cushion of broken white that sat throughout the session. Lots of very sweet and very bitter hops are all the comes across at first. Sharp citrus here, with a deep sweetness, reminded me of the aroma of 120 min for a second just not at all as powerful. Some light buttery notes as it warms, but lots of orange rind  and tangerine in here. Smooth, heavy for the style with a medium to full body that was almost syrup like. Not too harsh on the palate as everything was more balanced then I thought it would be, but still providing that deep, resin like bitter flavor in the finish that I knew I would look forward to.
Overall not bad, not my favorite from them, but not bad at all. I would love to try this one fresh on tap as I am sure it was intensely good.

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%

On tap at the brewpub.

A-Clear honey amber with a little bit of lingering off white head and some good lacing.

S-Nose is rather sweet, mainly pineapple, with a background spiciness.

T-Starts off sweet quickly up front, then a yeasty spice takes over fast and holds on through the finish. Spice is up front and very bright, then peppery at the end. Simcoe hops are present throughout.

M-Medium bodied with a very dry finish.

D-Described as a Belgian IPA in the brewpub menu, and I think this is a better description of the style than a Strong Pale Ale. A really excellent version of the style.

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at the brewery. Poured a cloudy pale orange into an oversized wine glass. Smell and taste were a combination of bubblegum, pepper, coriander, cloves, and banana. Smooth, drinkable, and not overly strong, but the flavor faded fairly quickly in my opinion. While I was drinking this I swore it was a Tripel, but I guess the difference in the styles is still blurry to me.

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottle: Poured a medium copper color ale with a medium size foamy head with good retention and good lacing. Aroma of simcoe hops with semi-sweet Belgian malt backbone is quite interesting. Taste is a mix between some quite sweet Belgain ale with some green simcoe hops clearly noticeable. Full body with great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Very well done and a lot more complex then just a Belgian hop bomb.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottle acquired in trade with TAR (thanks!).

Poured a medium and cloudy amber color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of dark fruits, citrus (lemons), and yeast. Tastes of lemons, orange peel, and some yeast. Alcohol content hidden. Sweet start with a light tart finish.

Notes from 1/12/06

4.07/5  rDev +6%

Growler filled over two months ago (sitting in fridge since) and poured into brandy snifter.

Appearance - clear copper with very little head after agressive pour. This may very easily be because it has been sitting in a growler so long. In spite of such a small head, there is actually a bit of lacing on the glass and the head valiantly tries to stick around.

Smell - Well, Simcoe, of course is in there. But this is very much a Belgian and not a hop bomb. There is a pruny fruit smell that is almost as big as the hops.

Taste - A mixture of sweet fruits. The hops seem to blend into the background. Honestly, it tastes quite a bit like Stone 08/08, but seems more delicately hopped and with less noticeable alcohol. Hops do build as glass is sipped.

Mouthfeel - I am amazed that with such little head there is quite a bit of carbonation tingle in the mouth. That is actually my first feeling, followed by a bit of a malt thinkness.

Drinkablity - Remarkably smooth and dangerous. On just a sip, I would never guess that this is 8.5%.

4.74/5  rDev +23.4%

Sampled on 10-31-08
Bottled on 10-18-08

Pours a light and clear orange/amber, with a hard-to-get but long lasting thin white head.

Smell is all grapefruit hops, hugely thick and resiny. Lots of honey in there too, combines with the Belgian quality to add great complexity.

Taste is surprisingly tart, the hops come in right at the front, followed by a Belgian sweetness and a slight light malt flavor. The finish is dry and a little vegetable-y, but the bitterness is well controlled.

Mouthfeel is good, though a little too thin to be awesome.

Drinkability is quite good, but watch out for the abv.

Overall, more a double IPA, but very good and I would get it again in a heartbeat.

Score edited: 4-5-09
Bottled on 4-4-09

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

12 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with hoppymeal, thanks to Derek for including this in my package, drank last night, poured into my small Stone glass

A-Color is a medium orange with copper highlights, small 1/2 inch foamy off white head, does not stay around long at all, little retention, no lacing
S-Simcoe hops, bet you could not guess that from the name, Belgian yeast, tangerines, lemons, mangoes, soft malt, sugar, grassy accents and mild funk
T-Starts off real dry and hoppy, some Belgian yeast and sweetness in the middle, finish has some malt but is mostly dominated by hoppiness, gets a little sweeter as time goes by but it is still dry at the same time, fruit comes out more towards the end, mostly citrus but some tropical fruit in there too, nicely balanced and enjoyable
M-Dry, sweet, and slightly malty mouthfeel, not enough carbonation, medium to full bodied, does not leave much of a lingering taste
D-Does not taste like it is over eight percent, goes down easy and is smooth, not heavy on the stomach, a little sweet but still good drinkability, alcohol is hidden well

Not my favorite of Kuhnhenn's brews by any means but not bad compared to others out there, this should probably be listed under a Belgian IPA judging by its taste, definitely one of the more hoppy Belgian-style beers I have tasted in quite some time, might drink again, worth trying

Kuhnhenn Simcoe Silly from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company