1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Barley WineKuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

English Barleywine |  14.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 436 | Reviews: 176 | Show All Ratings:
mentor

Colorado

3.1/5  rDev -30.2%

2009 release has a bottlecap which says "Alabama". WTF? Tried the orignal batch in 2005 and loved it. A friend picked up this bottle for me at the end of 2009 and brought it here to me in Colorado while visiting over the holidays. Pours a soda pop head that quickly disappears over a fairly clear ruby brown liquid. Smells bourbon, almonds, coconut, vanilla, cherry, and clean alcohol. Some brown malt character is carried on the alcohol as nutty or faint chocolate. Some dark fruits, which I suspect will develop more as time goes by.

Tastes almond, chocolate nutty, cherry sour, rounded vanilla, and a strong drying wood character with a strange waxy component. Strong, but very clean, alcohol. Caramel and prune way beneath and found only with searching. Dominated by the wood and bourbon with too much alcohol to allow the malt to show through. It's potent, like in a quality cognac. Mouthfeel is md-thin and drinkability is sure to improve.

01-01-2010 05:50:50 | More by mentor
alcstradamus

Washington

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

2009 Release. Thanks Steve.

Pours fairly lifeless, which is perfectly fine for this style in my opinion. Very nice dark amber/copper color. Despite having no head, a thin collar somehow persists.

Smell is an OH MY GOD blast of dark fruits, sweet caramel, vanilla, oak, toffee, floral hops, and a burning alcohol that makes me woozy just smelling it. If you enjoy BIG beers, then this is divine. Good thing I love big beers. Definitely shows every bit of its insanely high ABV.

Upon first sip I am just taken aback by what is in front of me. Imagine a nice vintage Thomas Hardy's Ale (80's or 90's) then add a shot of rubbing alcohol to it. That is pretty much what you get here. What that ends up meaning is that the flavor profile is out of this world good, but the booziness is a bit too high at this young age. Mouth numbing, stinging, sinus cleansing levels of booziness. I would have guessed it was 20% ABV. This one is going to be mind blowing in a few years, but right now it is just too hot to garner the score it may eventually get.

The body is medium to full with very little carbonation, which is just what this type of beer should be like.

Drinkability is tough to gauge on this because of the alcohol. Right now a 12 oz. bottle probably should be split at least 3 ways. But at 14.5% alcohol what does drinkability even mean? Not sure there is a good answer to that, so I will go with the same score as I gave the taste.

There is so much potential here, I wish I could taste the 2005 right now to see what this one will be like when I eventually crack my second bottle a few years down the line. Impressive beer!

12-29-2009 02:20:10 | More by alcstradamus
WeisGuy

2009 bottle also had on-tap at the Solstice Party

a - pours a deep copper color with a minimal ivory head, slightly hazy but fairly clear, retention around the edges only and not much lacing

s - big caramel malt aroma mixed with vanilla, oak and big bourbon notes, the alcohol is prominent but not overwhelming

t - as with the aroma, big toasty and sweet caramel flavor up front with considerable oak and vanilla flavors on the mid-palate, big bourbon notes on the finish with some toast and oak mixed in, alcohol is pretty powerful but it works with the flavor profile, that said, I think this would benefit from sitting in the bottle for a bit longer, very complex

m - full-bodied and low carbonation, fairly sweet and hot finish, big alcohol warming effect

d - the definition of a sipper, but that's what the style is all about, I give it points for being interesting and complex, this beer also evolves as it sits in the glass

Really, really good beer overall. I have a few bottles of the 2005 that I look forward to trying to see what this might evolve into over time. Reminds me a bit of the Perfect Storm but a bit hotter.

12-27-2009 00:31:00 | More by WeisGuy
punkrkr27

4.38/5  rDev -1.4%

2009 bottle. Rusty-brown colored pour with minimal head. Rich candied fig aroma with hints of plum, oak, vanilla, red grapes, red apples, and balanced bourbon. The flavor is candied fruit, rum raisin bread, a little spice, vanilla and a strong oaky finish with lots of booziness. This really drinks a nice mellow bourbon instead of an assertive barley wine. The body is full and velvety with low carbonation and a kick of alcohol warming after you swallow a sip. I wouldn't really try to pair this with anything, but it make a great aperitif after a nice steak dinner.

12-24-2009 02:57:04 | More by punkrkr27
Deuane

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

A healthy 4 oz. pour given to me by a very generous, yet unknown BA at DLD '09.

A-Dark, murky, red tinted, deep brown with a thin ring of light tan bubbles.

S-Huge blast of a complex swirl of aromas. Dominated by a large dose of caramel malts, toffee and turbinado. Subtle hints of orange rind and raisin follow. Ends with notes of bourbon, astringent oak and a hint of vanilla.

T-Dominant caramel malt and turbinado. Oak dryness and vanilla sweetness creeps in underneath the malt onslaught. A bit of alcohol heat in the finish.

M-Medium-heavy, slick and somewhat syrupy. Deep lingering flavours and a nice astringent finish.

D-As good as advertised. This is a BBA malt lovers dream. Nicely done, but I think the sweetness and ABV would slow me down in the end.

04-29-2009 16:25:34 | More by Deuane
gford217

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle courtesy of masonjer poured into a snifter. I can't thank Jeremy enough for the opportunity to try this rarity.

Pours a dark murky reddish brown with little head outside of a small ring of bubbles that leaves very little remnants.

The aroma is massive and just explodes out of the glass. It has hints of citrus up front but the caramel malts, toffee and brown sugar really dominate. There are hints of dark fruits, bourbon and vanilla as well, though very subtle.

The taste has the same dominant malt backbone with tons of caramel malts and brown sugar. The wood makes itself felt a little more in the taste with some vanilla hints and the finish has a huge bourbon burn that lingers between sips.

The mouthfeel is extremely slick and just coats the mouth with bourbon and sugary sweetness. The carbonation is almost non-existent.

This is a damn fine barleywine and one that I've been looking to try for a while. I got hints of oxidation in the taste but that's really just nitpicking with such a great beer.

12-19-2008 03:06:10 | More by gford217
BigMcLargeHuge

Arizona

4.63/5  rDev +4.3%

Purchased at the brewery - summer 2007. I've been looking forward to trying this. The aroma can be detected from across the room. There is a great play between dark fruity goodness, sweet caramel, hints of alcohol and woody bourbon-ness. The flavor is a sweet kiss on the lips with figs, dates, minced raisins soaking in molasses and an absolutely delicious river of caramel candy. A pleasant warming sensation does show up around the finish. Competing with the barleywine flavors but a couple notches below in strength is a bourbon and wood sensation. Very nice compliment creating an enjoyable experience. The after taste is a mix of dark fruit, caramel and hints of wood. The only knock I could find would be the body. It's a bit too thin. Sure hope they plan on making more this next winter.

11-17-2008 02:32:43 | More by BigMcLargeHuge
egajdzis

4.3/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured a brownish amber color with a thin, off white head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of raisins, tobacco, smoke, vanilla, bourbon, nutmeg, a bit of oatmeal, char, and alcohol as well. Taste of more caramel malts, cherry, bourbon, raisins, citrus fruits, light nutmeg, dried fruits, chocolate, and alcohol as well in the finish.

11-10-2008 00:00:54 | More by egajdzis
hopdog

4.43/5  rDev -0.2%

12oz bottle acquired in trade with hopscotch (thanks!).

Poured a medium mahogany color with a very small sized off white head. Aromas of bourbon, vanilla, citrus, toffee, raisins, plums, and cherries. Tastes of bourbon, caramel, cherries, dark fruits, and toffee. Light alcohol finish. Perfect for our night cap beer!

Notes from and tasted on 7/3/07

11-07-2008 18:31:52 | More by hopdog
SacoDeToro

3.88/5  rDev -12.6%

Thanks to Carlos for sharing @ the Ballast Point 12th!

Poured a deep ruby with a small off-white lace.

The aroma was full of rich caramel malt, bourbon, oak, and vanilla. Some alcohol was present.

The flavor of the beer had a rich caramel maltiness appropriate for the style. It was well infused with prominent notes of bourbon, vanilla, and oak, which added tremendous complexity. Some medium dried fruits came through in the palate as well. It did, however finish too sweet, IMO. This bottle was a tad past it's prime. I prefer just a tad bit of oxidation in my American barleywines, but this had gone past that point. The hoppiness was too low for the style.

The mouthfeel was pretty heavy. The body was full and creamy. The carbonation was delicate and was appropriate for the style.

A solid barleywine that exhibits a good barrel character, but not the best example I've had.

11-03-2008 15:40:16 | More by SacoDeToro
Floydster

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

12 ounce bottle generously shared by seaoflament on 10/25/08, thanks to Carlos for going out of his way once again, reviewed from notes, four to five ounces poured into a small sampling glass

A-Color is a dark brown with red hihglights, very small maybe 1/8 inch beige bubbly head that disappears immediately, no retention or lacing
S-First off the smell was outstanding, it had bourbon, maple syrup, dried fruits, berries, raisins, lots of butterscotch, sweet chocolate, toffee, deep caramel scents, vanilla, oak, and dates
T-Flavor was slightly oxidized and that was the first thing I noticed and really the only complaint, the combination of woody accents, big bourbon flavor, caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, dark fruits, and chpcolates was unparalleled, I sipped on this for close to a half hour and it was better with each sip, and very different each time too, starts off on the sweeter side, some chewiness in the middle, slightly dry finish with some booze and sweetness there to balance it out, cannot believe how well the flavors worked together, this stuff is great
M-Hot, sweet, chewy, and sticky mouthfeel, full bodied for a barrel aged brew and on the verge of being syrupy, very low level of carbonation, taste lingered for a long time and was great
D-Could have the drank the whole bottle it tasted so good, but both the alcohol and sweetness would have got the best of me, but the booze are hidden incredibly well for a brew that is near fifteen percent

This was for sure on my top three beers to try list, and the fact that they were only one hundred bottles ever produced made it look like I might not get to try it, luckily I did, going out on a limb here and saying that this is the best barleywine I have ever had, I think this was a 2006 vintage but I am sure this would hold up for another decade, would love to drink this again but not likely, cannot recommend this enough

10-28-2008 22:36:58 | More by Floydster
seaoflament

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%

A big thanks to my buddy Russ for trading me this bottle. You told me that this would be one of the best beers I will ever have this year and you're probably right. Shared this one today with Kyle and a few other people at the Ballast Point 12th Anniversary Fest.

Pours a vibrant brown color with some ruby edges. Thin head on top with a skim ring on the edge.

Wow, lots of bourbon notes, raisins, brown sugar, and molasses are the first things I detect. Lots of sugary goodness in this beer, caramel and candied yams. This beer has a complex malt profile.

Again, wow. Dark fruits, cherry, sweet strawberry, and rum soaked raisins. Caramel and butterscotch in the aftertaste. Milk chocolate becomes more apparent after it warms up. The beer develops more of a nutty profile too, with roasted almonds in the aftertaste.

Such a smooth beer for 14.5% My only complaint would be that the finish is a tad too sweet. Still, this is one of the best, if not the best barleywine I've had so far. I easily took 20-25min finishing off my sample of this, I just didn't want it to be over.

10-26-2008 02:31:36 | More by seaoflament
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

A first things first, huge, enormous thanks goes out to Jay for hooking this one up. This has been a mission of mine forever and I owe him for that! Twelve ounce bottle was chilled down to cellar temperature as soon as I received it and served at the same temperature in a snifter. Consumed on 08/04/2008.

The pour was just what I would have expected. Rich notes of caramel colored brown, with hints of ruby around the edges and a deep, opaque haziness that overtook the entire session. Smallish head of deep tan lace then formed on the top and settled down quickly to just a broken film, but this did the job of thoroughly coating the inside of the glass with abundant lacing throughout the session.

The aroma is the thing that dreams are made of, well Bourbon Barrel dreams anyway  Incredibly subtle, yet complex I have not ever had something this wonderful cross my nose. Rich notes of bourbon and vanilla, so strong, yet so welcoming just layer on top of each other, seamlessly dancing around the effortless profile. Hints of toffee and caramel, some touches of almost some kind of coffee or something, this was incredible. The flavor, I am really having a hard time putting into words, but suffice to say this was by far the best barley wine I have ever had. Complex wasn't the word, started out with big notes of vanilla, coating the tongue and not letting anything stand in its way. Light notes of oak and bourbon starting to come in now as it begins to warm, then the bourbon takes over and starts to mix in with toffee and caramel, some light vinous properties and a touch of spice. There is some light fruitiness going on in here, maybe some fig, some tart cherries, not sure, but it was a nice little splash around right before the finish. And let me just tell you, the vanilla flavor lasted so long, I was still tasting this after I brushed my teeth it felt like, just really tremendously good. This was ridiculously smooth, I cannot even begin to try and get that point across. This was over 14% abv, but I have not had anything in this category. It was amazingly subtle and sublime, complex yet simple. Perfectly aged, yet still vibrant. This is what it should be, what all barrel aged beers should strive to be. Nothing here is overdone, quite the contrary, it is done as just enough.

Overall, wow, this was worth the search, and deserving of the appraise that it gets. It was a whole new level of Barley wine for me, this was exactly what I wanted it to be, exactly what it needed to be. A fantastic brew that literally blew me away. I would love to get this one again, but I know it won't happen. Still though, WOW.

08-05-2008 23:02:13 | More by mikesgroove
ncvbc

4.98/5  rDev +12.2%

Murky, rusty, red with brownish hues. Thin tan head that fades to a ring. Slow rising carbonation. It looks potent.

Smell is pretty remarkable. It's soft, subtle, and insanely complex. Bourbon and vanilla seem to blanket a vast assortment of aromas. Toffee, oatmeal, chocolate, coconut. Raisin, fig, spice. Too much to mention, really.

How could it get any better? Well, it does. I literally got chills when I took my first sip of this beer. Big, sweet, chewy malt flavors. A perfect warmth from the bourbon that isn't overpowering by any means. Layered with a depth of flavors that I have found in only a handful of brews and they work some serious magic.

This beer absorbs itself into the tongue. So rich and extremely smooth. Perfect carbonation and texture. To be enjoyed slowly but surely as a sipper.

While it is quite huge and needs to be consumed slowly, it's like heaven in a bottle. One bottle happens to be just enough. Not quite the ultimate in terms of drinkability volume-wise but as close as it gets. There are others that I could have more of but I won't savor and enjoy them like this one.

A big, big thanks goes out to grub for the chance to try this most excellent brew.

07-10-2008 02:01:51 | More by ncvbc
Lothore

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

A- Pours a ruddy, brownish hue with little to no head.

S- Smell is absolutely phenomenal. Tons of brown sugar, hints of bourbon, fig.

T- Wow. Before describing the taste my first thought is ... smoooth. Starts off slightly fruity, possibly hints of cherry mixed with figs, brown sugar sweetness comes in to balance. The end is an alcohol warming balanced exquisitly with very sweet, sugary notes.

M- Thick with a good bit of carbonation left for a beer this old.

D- This is another out of the park brew by kuhnhenn. I truly hope they produce more so I have another chance to drink this one. The main thing I truly loved about this one was the balance. It was huge yet seemed to balance the alcohol perfectly with rich sweetness that a lot of other "extreme brews" fail to do. Totally lives up to the hype in my opinion. Although there probably aren't many bottles left in circulation, if you have a chance trade whatever you can for this one.

05-28-2008 03:06:45 | More by Lothore
fartingdog

4.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours with very little carbonation. Smells of bourbon, vanilla, alcohol. Taste is big and complex- lots going on here. Malty sweetness, bourbon, vanilla, date, plums- it's a constant discovery severy sip. Mouthfeel seemed a bit thin at first, but as you sip it grows nicely. This is definitely one of those beers that gets better with every sip.

09-16-2007 22:54:49 | More by fartingdog
biegaman

4.95/5  rDev +11.5%

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine appears murky on first glance but, upon closer inspection, is in actuality very clear. This is a fact easy to miss given the stunning dark crimson colour and gorgeous, blushing scarlet highlights. There are a select few bubbles resting on the surface but no matter how hard one swirls it's impossible to generate any sort of head (though the glossy tracks of liquid tearing down the glass are beautiful).

The aroma is sweet and deliciously rich. The proper use of bourbon barrels manifests token notes of vanilla, oak, and wood spice but they're accompanied by chocolate, dates, licorice, currants and rich, heavenly malts. My god, the malts! With each smell one delves deeper and deeper into the scent, layer by layer becoming more and more sedated by its divine complexities.

Kuhnhenn should have named *this* beer 4D - it has endless dimensions. While giant bourbon-influenced flavours hit the palate upfront, a great depth of slightly delayed and delicious nuances set in after the swallow: tastes of chocolate mousse and truffles, dates and raisins, french vanilla latte, anise, and heavy caramel. It's like a rich dessert that's big in body and luscious in texture.

The use of bourbon barrel aging is appreciable but sensibly done; all the distinction and character of the whiskey is blended with the malty essence of a barleywine, and somehow managed to loose the strong alcohol presence somewhere along the way. How is it that nearly 15% alcohol goes unnoticed? Neither the ale nor the bourbon dominates. They meld and marry, though the mouth is always coated with rich, viscous caramelly malts.

Oh glory of glories, oh heavenly testament to the eternal majesty of God's creation...
HOLY MACARONI! Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine is among - if not the - best crafted beer I've tried. The precision of detail and particularities, the depth of flavour, the sensible use of barrel aging, the sheer quality - it's a downright divine drink. While other brewers may write music, Kuhnhenn writes symphonies. This was something beautiful. Thanks Grub!

07-23-2007 15:52:00 | More by biegaman
grub

4.93/5  rDev +11%

pulled from my cellar, purchased at the brewery in december 2006.

12oz bottle.

pours deep ruby red, almost burgundy, with just a small ring of dense off white head around the glass. the colour on this is just amazing.

wow. fantastic aroma. huge blast of malt. bread and biscuit. caramel and toffee. raisin and date. lots of alcohol. vanilla and light bourbon.

taste is amazing. everything from the aroma and more. nice caramel sweetness. date and raisin. light bourbon and vanilla. alcohol. chocolate truffle. i could drink this all night.

mouthfeel is excellent. low carbonation is excellent. nice big body.

drinkability is exceptional. very well balanced. definitely doesn't taste like 14.5%. just great stuff. another winner from kuhnhenn.

07-22-2007 19:59:26 | More by grub
Viggo

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%

Had at Mondial de la Biere 2007. They give generous samples at the Petit Pub. 8 or so ounces for $5 CDN.

Pours a hazy caramel brown, thin off white head, lace spots, decent retention, head eventually disappears though. Smell is wow. Toffee, bourbon, alcohol, very rich, dates raisons, amazing. Taste is too. Sweet toffee, buttery oak, bourbon, dates, more toffee, bit of citrus, alcohol, super caramelized oaky vanilla goodness, just insane good. Mouthfeel is full bodied with low carbonation, hot going down, just right. Kuhnhenn is amazing.

07-14-2007 04:23:55 | More by Viggo
weeare138

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Much thanks to hopdog for breaking this open...
Appears a semi-transparent amber with a small, off-white head that slowly fades out. Spotty lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of bourbon, caramel, toffee, rock candy, vanilla, flowers, raisins, cherries...very complex stuff.
Taste echoes the aromas with as much complex characters coming through in the form of caramel, ripe fruit, and oaky bourbon.
Mouthfeel is syrupy, sticky, hot, and lovely. This is dessert heaven. More, please!

07-13-2007 15:10:16 | More by weeare138
Sammy

3.85/5  rDev -13.3%

Mondiale 2007. Dark brown body with amber highlights. A great soapy white head. Very fresh tasting, vanilla and caramel. A very good bourbon barrel effort, and a great matchup of barleywine. 14.5% was extreme and it was a good thing this was my last beer of the night. Had the 2010 and was good though not best, great aroma though coconut dominated taste.

06-01-2007 00:12:54 | More by Sammy
Crosling

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

12’er. What nectar. Dark brown color. Outstanding aroma. Astonishingly complex flavor of absorbed wood (coconut, vanilla, soaked wood, light whiskey) and heavy malt (an array of cinnamon covered fruit, caramel and toffee. Very, very smooth. If anyone has any bottles of this for trade, I am willing to trade heavily for it.

02-24-2007 05:29:14 | More by Crosling
DrJay

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed at the brewpub. Clear and brown with reddish highlights. The yellowish, light brown head showed good retention given the gravity and fine bubbles stuck to the sides of the glass throughout. What a beauty. Aromas of toffee, vanilla, wood, light citrus, and mellow alcohol came together nicely. Moderate bitterness that barely keeps up with the other flavours. Lots of toffee and caramel, vanilla, and oak. Hops were quite citrusy, mostly grapefruit, and the bourbon character melded nicely with the alcohol flavour and warmth in the finish. Full bodied with low carbonation, smooth texture with a bit of dryness. Very tasty! The alcohol was really well hidden given the strength of this brew, making for an easy (and dangerous) drink. Another winner from Kuhnhenn.

01-04-2007 03:06:30 | More by DrJay
hoppymeal

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a dark amber to brown and clear with the slightest flash of some cream colored carbonation that fades back in an instant. Aroma is rich sweet maltiness, prunes, raisins, cherries, aged overripe fruit, and coconutty alcohol. Nose is a good indicator of taste here as the beer is incredibly rich and sweet. Bourbon comes thru in the taste but only very lightly, a little cola flavor is evident which mixes with the sweet sugary fruity and pruney maltiness. There is alcohol evident in the taste as well, no real bite, just a nice mellow warmth. Fairly full in body, the carbonation is definitely low as evidenced on the pour, there is a nice tingle on the tongue that balances the sweetness and some dryness in the warming finish. This beer was absolutely incredible for me, one of those that every smell was as good as the first and every taste made me say wow. A nice sweet night cap, and even though the alcohol content is quite high I savor each drop and know I could definitely drink more of this.

01-04-2007 02:46:22 | More by hoppymeal
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%

A - this gem of a brew pours a dark translucent ruby red that turns near transparent brown when held to light, a thin thin rapidly dissipating white head that fizzes as it vanishes and vary miniscule scant streams of carbonation

S - a power packed aroma, big and up front is raisins, toffee and alcohol, well blended and complimentary, secondary and subtle is a slight chocolate aroma, very intriguing

T - wow, you can really taste the bourbon, ive had bourbon barrel aged b rews that have a slight bourbon flavors, this one has a big up front bourbon flavor, so smooth and velvety, its incredible; all the other flavors that were detected in the aroma, the raisin, the toffee, the slight chocolate, are all elongated by the bourbon into a seemingly endless finish that lasts for several minutes, wish i could get this more often.

M&D - as I noted in the taste, the bourbon created an incredible smoothness that will at least neutralize the ABV (which is pretty high) for some and enhance it for others, depends on your tastebuds, but an amazing taste and brew, if you go to eastern MI and dont stop here, you are doing yourself a serious disservice

afternote; had this at my New Years party, got kinda drunk (the one night a year), and although i had this first so i could enjoy it unimpaired, i found one last sip in the AM, and it got better with some time to breathe, richer and smoother.

01-01-2007 16:19:57 | More by sinstaineddemon