1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Barley WineKuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

English Barleywine |  14.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 436 | Reviews: 176 | Show All Ratings:
Bung

4.05/5  rDev -8.8%

12 oz. Nicely murky dark brown/orange/amber pour. There was a pop from the cap, but next to zero carbonation appears. A few bubbles around the edge. Really, for a big English BW, not offensive.

Aroma, Caramel, sugar daddy, vanilla, oak, all heavily present. You can smell this from a good foot and a half away.

Taste, Malt, molasses, rum cake. Vanilla, some roast that comes across as peat/oak, hefty booze as well. Vanilla oak finish.

It's warm and a sipper, coating, heavy side of medium bodied. Could use maybe just a tad more carbonation, but with the heat that may not work either.

As a few others have said, the heat keeps this a step down from the 4Ds, but it's pretty solid. Worth grabbing, just grab 2.

01-29-2012 03:47:16 | More by Bung
mdfb79

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

From 01/15/12 notes. Big, big thanks to Thorpe429 for sharing this one, a big Want of mine. Thanks Mike. 2011 vintage I believe.

a - Pours a dark amber-brown color with one inch of white head and low carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bourbon, caramel malts, toffee, oak, vanilla, roasted malts, toasted malts, and burnt malts. Some very nice bourbon and caramel in the nose, I like it a lot.

t - Tastes of bourbon, caramel malts, toffee, oak, toasted malts, burnt malts, light fruit and vanilla, and alcohol. Very nice again, though a bit hot, so docking it a bit.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. A nice mouthfeel but docking it a little bit due to some alcohol heat.

o - Overall I thought this was another great barleywine from Kuhnhenn. While I don't think this is as good as 4D and BB4D, I thought it was a ton better than their American Barleywine. Great nose and I bet with some time on it this could become a world class BBA barleywine. Would love to have again.

01-23-2012 20:30:48 | More by mdfb79
auroracrisis

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2011 12oz into two snifters.

Amber color with rose highlights and a thin film around the edges of the liquid. Pretty thick and hazy but not opaque by any means.

Toffee and vanilla greet your nostrils then quickly moves into oak and notes of coconut. More bourbon influence is introduced as it moves into a touch of heat and more vanilla. Less sweet than I had anticipated which is a good thing.

Opens with sweet toffee and decadent coconut sweetness. Moves into the more savory barrel and oaky flavors, then onto more bourbon. The bourbon in the beer never becomes boozey at all, and remains a nice compliment to the base beer.

Creamy and full bodied with moderate carbonation.

Great notes of toffee and warming bourbon. Not boozey at all which is a feat for a beer of this abv. Trade for this if you can, it will not disappoint.

01-22-2012 22:35:36 | More by auroracrisis
siege06nd

4.18/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into my CBS snifter. 2011 Vintage. Huge thanks to ChadlyG for this one!

A: Pours a ruddy brown/copper color. Very murky and cloudy. Absolutely zero head, kinda disappointing, but not surprising considering the ABV on this. Almost zero lacing as well. Beautiful color, but the lack of any head or lacing whatsoever knocks this down a bit.

S: Can smell the barrel on this from over a foot away. The bouquet is filled with ripe dark fruit, caramel, vanilla, raisin, and some hints of tobacco, cherry, and just a hint of leather. Something just a little bit dank and rotten on the back end of the nose here. Detected the same characteristics in BB4D, so perhaps it is the barrels these are aged in. That little "offness" holds this one back just a touch.

T: Nearly perfect. Thick, creamy caramel, ripe figs, plums, and raisins. Plenty of vanilla and bourbon notes, along with rich, dark chocolate and just a bit of oak char. A spectacularly complex flavor profile. As it warms, toasted coconut becomes more apparent. Excellent.

M: Flavors are well balanced. Could use a bit more carbonation, as the finish overdoes it just a bit with the sweetness. A touch more carb would take some of the edge off.

O: There are better barrel-aged barleywines out there, but not many. This doesn't hold a candle to the likes of King Henry or Mother of All Storms, but few things do. On its own, Kuhnhenn BB Barleywine is a good example of quality barrel aging elevating what is likely a fairly pedestrian base beer. I enjoyed this one and will age the other to see what time does here.

01-22-2012 19:40:01 | More by siege06nd
marvin213

3.53/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Among the darkest barleywines I've poured, it's more menacing than inviting. NO head to speak of suggests this one's a bruiser! It looks thick like coagulated mud. Should I sip...or spoon? As an aside, I find cheap foil wrappings a tad on the tacky side.

It smells like bourbon barrel-aged formaldehyde...I mean, it smells like death. The nose is SO potent and it's off-turning like a waft from a liquor bottle. I know it teeters on 15%, and I like the big-hitters, but I'm not sure how imma handle this one. Objectively, the nos is bourbon and alcohol with tinges of toasted caramelized toffee. The burning raw strength is an abrasive weakness.

The taste is more palatable than expected, despite (because of?) the burnt nose hairs. An odd, toffee caramel corn provides a sweet and buttery feel. It's oily. I wonder what more carbonation would do. The buttery taste is NOT creamy. I'd love to try it on tap! How crazy would nitro be? It's like that initial tongue touch has a candied appeal, but the gasoline burn makes it a serious sipper. Tastes like butter oil but burns like gasoline--I wonder if I could put it in the popcorn popper.

Like each of the few brews I've had from Kuhnhenn Brewing, it's a nice novelty, strongly sweet bear of a beer. Do they make a pale ale? I respect going big, and I seek out the barrelly influenced (bourbon on the taste here is nearly an afterthought), but I'm still uncertain about these liquids from Warren, MI. Gosh, there are so many beers from MI....

01-22-2012 18:50:06 | More by marvin213
Phelps

Arizona

4.65/5  rDev +4.7%

This bottle was sent to me by seeswo during the Blind Beers BIF. The blind 2011 vintage 12-ounce was poured into a snifter and reviewed blind.

The liquid runs out of the bottle a thin caramel-brown but darkens once in the glass to a cloudy burnt hue. What head does appear comes late and is extremely thin, fizzling away after just a second.

In the nose, I get good amounts of butterscotch, smooth vanilla, oak and toffee. Sweet, sugary dark cherries and maple syrup emerge upon closer inspection.

Wow. I wasn’t expecting the sweet, malty flavors this is delivering, but that doesn’t detract from their glory. In equal amounts I get toffee, cherries and sugared orange slices. Oak, grape and a pinch of nutty almond are behind that. Citrus notes surge at the swallow, but are swiftly overtaken by lingering toasted oak and subtle chocolate.

Carbonation is light but prickly, awakening the tongue to the brilliant flavor and playing nicely off the bright citrus. The body is luscious, thick and smooth, yet it doesn’t weigh down the palate all that much. There’s hardly any alcohol heat, which I have a feeling I’ll be surprised at when I take of this beer’s wrapper.

Incremazing. Brilliant, smooth flavors and an amazing balance between citrusy barleywine notes and barrel-aging. This is without a doubt the best BA barleywine I’ve ever had, and a perma-want has been set.

01-21-2012 23:32:26 | More by Phelps
travMI13

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz. bottle, 2011 Winter Solstice vintage, poured into a Kuhnhenn snifter.

A: Deep, murky mahogany. Not a lot of light getting through here. Very thick, yet very little lacing.

S: The smell is wonderful. Bourbon, toffee, caramel, and a touch of vanilla. Some straight up booze mixed in with the rest of the nose, but it is definitely concealed.

T: Bourbon, toffee, and caramel again. I am picking up the oak, and there is a nice vanilla sweetness on the finish. This almost reminds me of a sticky bun. I'm glad this is my dessert for the evening. Fantastic.

M: Sticky and sweet. No carbonation at all. Leaves a nice, lingering aftertaste over the tongue.

O: The standard Kuhnhenn Barley Wine is one of my favorites. I didn't think it could really be improved upon. I was horribly mistaken. I want to age this to see if it gets even better, but I'm skeptical. Fantastic beer as it stands, and perfect for a cold winter night.

01-20-2012 02:56:39 | More by travMI13
Retail1LO

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

2011 vintage. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Firestone Walker Proprietors Reserve Series snifter

Pours a dark but brilliant garnet shade of dark red, with the scantest of heads despite a straight down the middle pour. Minimal lacing. The nose is incredible. Lush cocoa, vanilla, and dark fruits intermixed with a lovely touch of the bourbon barrel treatment. This is a damn tasty barley wine, I'll say that right now. This is rich in the aforementioned flavors. It's awesome when a beer's nose and taste align this well. It's damn near perfect. The mouthfeel is silky smooth with a sweet finish that's rounded off perfectly by the bourbon. I can't believe for the life of me that this is 14.5% ABV. Where is it? I can't find it. There's booziness to it, but nothing about this beer screams out that it's this goddam big. Overall this isn't just a home run, but a grand slam. Twice over. I'm permanently in search of this. For like, forever.

01-18-2012 21:53:43 | More by Retail1LO
MarcatGSB

4.43/5  rDev -0.2%

2011 Vintage. Thanks to Mike for sending this to me. Poured into DFH Signature glass.

A: Vigorous pour yields a frothy thin cap on top of a very dark mahogany/brown color. Beautiful lacing remains on the side of the glass, slowly moving it's way down. Some super tight, thin legs.

N: Nose is a big hit of bourbon, with not alot more coming through. I'm getting a bit of sweet caramel, toffee, and even some dark dried fruits.

T: Man, this puppy is complex. I'm getting all sort of flavors coming through, and not overpowered by that beautiful bourbon. Vanilla, toffee, caramel, some of that prune/dried candied fruit, followed by a nice mellow chocolate sensation at the end. Almost a bit of bitterness, I'm detecting some nice anise notes. Wow. Really enticing and spectacular.

M: A bit hot, but not to it's detriment. It's 14.5%, what do you expect? What I didn't expect was the extremely creamy character. Absolutely mind blowing.

D and O: Man...just a great English Barleywine. Really easy drinking for the ABV, and extremely enjoyable. Fantastically balanced, well rounded, very deep amount of flavor.

01-12-2012 21:55:51 | More by MarcatGSB
n2185

3.48/5  rDev -21.6%

A: pours a dark mahogany with almost no head that vanishes with no lacing.

S: tons and tons of caramelized vanilla and toffee. Some oak, smooth vanilla, and slight cocoa as well.

T: similar to the aroma, tons of caramel, vanilla, and toffee. Some bourbon toward the finish as well. Light alcohol burn.

M: thick body with low carbonation, this beer is sticky sweet.

O: a pretty decent beer. It's very sweet and sticky with a significant alcohol presence, but still tasty enough. Definitely a beer to be drank in small quantities.

01-09-2012 02:41:05 | More by n2185
mikereaser

4.28/5  rDev -3.6%

Reviewed blind as part of Blind Beer BIF #6

A - Pours a murky muddy brown with very little foam.
S - Strong bourbon, raisin aroma, dark fruit and some vanilla
T - Flavor is the same as the aroma, dark fruit, plums, raisins, some sugary sweetness and bourbon. There is some alcohol present in the finish along with some more sweetness.
4.5
M - creamy mouthfeel, medium bodied with a light amount of carbonation. Lightly syrupy.
D - Very easy to drink and enjoy, the alcohol is noticeable but not detracting.
4.5

I'm guessing this is a quad or a barleywine but thats about as good as I can guess.
rip it open and its
Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Aged Barley Wine 2011
wow, 14% and you really can't pick up on it at all. Its not something to gulp but not one that has to be sipped.

tip of the hat to abraxel for another tasty bottle, and hitting a want. sweet!

01-04-2012 05:05:17 | More by mikereaser
BBP

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a dark dark chestnut color with a bit of ruby in the depth of it. Carbonation is nearly nonexistent, however a little bit of lace forms.

The aroma is bourbon and more bourbon. It has a bit of toffee sweetness and spiciness to the aroma as well, but they really struggle to get through.

The taste is really quite nice. The bourbon definitely brings some heat with it, but with the intensity of the flavor it brings, its completely warranted. Surprisingly with all the bourbon, there's still a considerable amount of flavor that breaks through. There's raisins, figs, and more dark fruits, as well as candied sugar, caramel, and spicy hops. I think I prefer this to Kuhnhenn's BB4D as it seems that more flavor can break through, and these flavors seem to work a bit better with the bourbon. I don't feel like this was overpowered by the bourbon, but the idea that the base beer was prominent was questionable.

The body is full with a medium/full weight. The finish is dry and considerably sticky. Carbonation is much more evident in the feel than it is in the appearance, but it's still slightly less than I'd hope for.

Overall, this was a very solid drink. The serving size of this is quite generous as well. I could happily share one of these bottles with somebody else and still get my fill. The alcohol definitely is enough to keep you sipping at this one, but I didn't think that it interfered with the drinkability as long as you slow down and respect it.

12-31-2011 19:14:09 | More by BBP
StarshipPoopers

4.35/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Dark ruby with minimal head or lacing. Produces a thin film of off-white head that quickly dissipates. Very still beer after it sits for a few minutes.

S - Strong bourbon, noticeable alcohol, hints of vanilla.

T - Again, bourbon takes the majority of the flavour here. Very nice richness and sweetness, perhaps even stronger than in the bourbon barrel 4th dementia. The palate is rounded out by brown sugar and vanilla sweetness, with an alcohol heat that bites in the finish. The finish is surprisingly dry for all of the flavour, with nice residual bourbon and alcohol heat to enjoy.

M/D - Medium bodied beer that goes down very smooth.

O - Very impressed with this, the bourbon is fantastic. I'm not a fan of over the top sweetness, and this beer does a great job at not becoming overpowering while still offering a very rich flavour.

12-24-2011 06:29:28 | More by StarshipPoopers
33nickadams

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

I should probably wait and age this for some time before I review it, but what if I can't later?
Anyway, I digress. Got this at the 2011 Winter Solstice.
Dark brown color with a small amount of froth at the sides of the glass. Slightly translucent. Smells of bourbon, alcohol, molasses and caramel. I taste bourbon, dark fruits, slight vanilla and brown sugar. Very sweet tasting at the end of the sip. I can't believe that this is 14.5%, as it's noticeable, but not over-bearing. Full bodied beer that is slick and oily as its drank. Overall, I'm glad that I didn't age this, because I think it's quite drinkable now. I now wish I bought a second bottle to age, but at $7 a bottle, I was a little reluctant to buy two. If you like bourbon, this one is for you.

12-22-2011 02:58:45 | More by 33nickadams
ChrisPro

4.08/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz 2010 thanks to jrallen34

A - dark orange with very little head that dissipated in seconds. A bit of chill haze

S - Tons of caramel, vanilla and a bit of biscuit and popcorn. The sweet smells dominate, but some complex malts there as well

T - Great sweet caramel followed by a huge hit of bourbon. THis is perhaps the strongest bourbon taste I've ever had in a beer. I'd swear there is a shot of booker's in my glass. I wish there was a bit more sweetness to balance it, but if you love bourbon, this is ideal!

M - Despite all the solid bourbon flavor, there is virtually no head. A year has done this beer well apparently. Not too oily, and nice full bodied. Very little carb, but that's exactly what I want in a BA barleywine.

O - Fantastic beer. Extremely well made with no apparent flaws. I wish there was a bit more residual sweetness, but this is a stellar barleywine.

12-02-2011 03:42:34 | More by ChrisPro
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.95/5  rDev -11%

12oz. bottle courtesy of Seeswo. 2010 vintage served in my Old Stock snifter. Pours a translucent mahogany with a loose, half-inch off-white head that quickly disperses towards the shoulders, forming a thin, bubbly band. There's also a residual oily slick across the center of the glass. Nose expresses milk chocolate, a trace of dark fruit and a pleasant buttery vanilla character. Only the merest suggestion of bourbon presents itself. Taste expresses toffee, butter candied fruit and a slightly acrid ethanol character that lingers at the back. Mouthfeel is medium-light (but closer to light) with a slightly coarse carbonation and quite a bit of residual heat that lingers on the tongue and at the back of the throat. All and all, a pretty good barleywine that could use some time to allow that alcohol presence to dissipate. That said, if the alcohol does in fact dissipate, the thinness to the body would be more prominent. I'm not sure if a lot of age will improve this beer, but another year in the cellar might reveal a decent balance.

11-19-2011 03:34:20 | More by Jwale73
flexabull

4.22/5  rDev -5%

2010 Winter Solstice Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine courtesy of jrallen34, thanks again!

This bottle says it is 15.1% ABV.

Pours a dark amber color with a pretty nice head that faded away pretty quickly, decent lacing.

Aromas are of roasted nuts, mocoa, dark fruits, caramel, dustiness and booze.

Taste is boozy, but not overly so. Notes of roasted coconut, caramel, dark fruits, and brown sugars. Finish is warm with a nice bourbon barrel booziness.

Mouthfeel is good, surprisingly smooth, with a lighter body than I expected.

Overall this is a very good bourbon barrel barley wine. The taste is quite good, but the dustiness on the nose is a bit odd though.

10-17-2011 03:45:38 | More by flexabull
4DAloveofSTOUT

4.08/5  rDev -8.1%

recieved via trade with mrandypandy! Thanks Andy!

Vintage 2010.

poured into a tulip.

Appearance: A glowing brownish amber colored body with no head at all; a very small ring of white head around the glass is hardly noticable.

Smell: This beer smells really sweat! Malt bomb for sure! Caramel, brown sugar, dark fruits, toffee, vanilla, and of course oak!

Taste: Moderate sweetness, this beers nose follows the taste. Vanilla and barrel notes hit strong right away. The malty backbone is quite noticable too. The caramel and brown sugar are really hard to miss and make there presence known! Dark fruit linger in the background with the wood notes of the barrel. It gets boozey quick and stays boozey through the aftertaste. The booze tends to mute most of the flavors.

Mouthfeel: full bodied beer with low...virtually no carbonation. This beer is syrupy and heavy.

Overall: This is another great Kuhnhenn offering, but it needs more time in the cellar. When the heat dies it will be out of this world! Its a great nightcap for a cool night just like this evening in Illinois.

10-08-2011 02:03:43 | More by 4DAloveofSTOUT
Reagan1984

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Special thanks to Jrallen34 for this one.

Even with an aggressive pour there is no head on this beer. Slight haze and a deep amber color with ruby highlights. No lace.

Aroma is very nice and a nice blend of vanilla, bourbon, alcohol and caramel. A touch of stone fruit as well.

I really enjoy almost everything I’ve tried from Kuhnhenn and this is no exception. Chewy caramel, lots of bourbon and vanilla. A touch of cherry. Lots of layers to the malt. Really nice.

Warming alcohol fairly bold body and slick.

Very nice. In the mood for a barleywine tonight and this really fit the bill.

10-01-2011 00:16:47 | More by Reagan1984
liamt07

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle shared by Peter of Flying Monkeys. 355ml bottle into some tulips, from the 2010 Winter Solstice release. Civic day tasting, long time want - thanks a TON Peter!

Low carbonation evident on the initial pour, leaves nothing more than some bubbles as a collar. Moderate legs on this, but pretty close to still nonetheless. Body is burgundy in colour, with some light brown sugar-like highlights. Nose is bourbon, caramel, molasses - sweet and sugary all around, not overpoweringly so. Some brown sugar like notes as well. Taste showcases more bourbon, brown sugar, caramel and booze. Sticky, and sweet and a medium mouthfeel - not as thick or syrupy as I thought it would be. Great flavour and a really nice BBBW, exactly the kind of barrel treatment I enjoy from the style. 35/45/4/45/45

Had on draught at the 2012 Winter Solstice, they were pouring the 2011 vintage.

Fantastic barrel integration here, fantastic sweet malt interplay with the barrel and borubon character. Absolute magic, phenomenal when it hits room temperature. 45/4/45/45/5

09-07-2011 16:05:33 | More by liamt07
pwoods

3.55/5  rDev -20%

12oz. brown bottle poured into a Russian River tulip.

A: Pours a ruby garnet with decent clarity considering the barrel aging. Moderate head on the pour with a bit of retention and not much lacing.

S: Under a decent amount of bourbon and barrel, molasses and toffee... I get a faint but distinct aroma of my grandmas and mothers Christmas cookies. Butter cookies with home made icing. Doesn't smell overly sweet, either. Maybe some oatmeal cookies and walnuts, too. Bizarre.

T/M: The bourbon is there and not as over powering as I was expecting, but it's not quite melding with the BW like I did expect. Plenty of barrel, vanilla. A bit more sweetness than the nose implied. Alcohol heats up quite a bit as it warms. Maybe the slightest hint of the Christmas cookies, but I might be reaching. Body is only about medium and the carbonation is mild to medium.

D: After the aroma I was expecting great things, and I've rarely been let down by Kuhnhenn... but things just didn't quite add up. A decent beer but I was expecting more.

08-29-2011 04:53:41 | More by pwoods
pmarlowe

District of Columbia

2010 vintage. Tulip glass.

A cloudy reddish copper color with only a wisp of light stone colored film which mostly fizzles out by the time you've set the bottle down. Apple and caramel are at the forefront of the nose, along with sweet malt, nuttiness, cherry vanilla, whipped cream, but finally a slightly harsh solvent and alcohol aroma at the end. The smell is wonderfully complex but the alcohol harshness definitely detracts from it for me. Tastes like caramel malt and cherry, with some dry oakiness and a dry finish which again features alcohol prominently and a slightly off flavor that I can't place. I'm not picking up any of the bourbon flavors here or on the nose. Carbonation is pretty low but supports the surprisingly medium-light body just fine. Slightly tannic. Overall, this smells quite good, tastes pretty good, but the alcohol presence is a little much and unfortunately the bourbon is MIA. It tasted good enough but I'm not sure I'd reach for it regularly.

07-08-2011 06:27:57 | More by pmarlowe
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a very small foamy head with minimal retention and lacing. Aroma of bourbon with distinctive vanilla notes is quite powerful with some deep caramelized sugar notes and lingering sweetness. Taste is also a very interesting mix between some deep bourbon notes with some balanced vanilla and sweet malt notes. Body is quite full with medium to low carbonation and no apparent alcohol. This one is a sipper and I could not consume vast quantities at the same time.

06-17-2011 19:10:19 | More by Phyl21ca
yeahnatenelson

3.75/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2010 Vintage

Appearance -- Pours a claret hue with a mild haze that catches light beautifully. Slim sudsy beige head quickly fades to a purity ring. Nice.

Smell -- Caramel buns, toffee, dark fruit, vanillin, bourbon, and some alcohol harshness. The aroma makes me think this is a bit rough around the edges, but still pretty good. Nice malt complexity.

Taste -- Again, a bit rough. The bourbon is a bit tart/harsh and the perceived alcohol is high. That said, the base flavors are great: dark fruit, toffee, vanilla/caramel, and with mild earthy hops to stop this from seeming cloying. Well-balance in terms of maltiness. Lingering flavors of bourbon and sugar cookie.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with milder carbonation. Nowhere near still, but pleasantly smooth. If the body was slightly fuller this would've been perfect.

Overall -- Honestly, this didn't live up to my hopes/expectations. This one definitely needs time to mellow. I love how the base beer hits all of my favorite barleywine/strong ale sweet spots, but the alcohol needs to soften before this is can be considered exceptional.

06-10-2011 01:42:12 | More by yeahnatenelson
waltersrj

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -7.7%

2010 bottle from splax23 (thanks buddy)!

Pour: Reddish brown hue when held up to the light. The off white head is sparkling like a champagne but quickly disappears. Fine bubbles are left around the edge of the glass.

Nose: Molasses, brown sugar, toffee, slight caramel, vanilla (more as it warms), slight oak, toasted coconut and sweet remnants of bourbon. The alcohol is also quite prevalent in the nose which I've found in every Khunhenn beer I've tried.

Taste: Slightly oxidized malt, brown sugar, toffee, vanilla, toasted coconut, sweet bourbon and oak.

Mouthfeel: Slightly drying with an initial alcohol burn. This is between oily and watery, pretty nice actually.

Overall: This beer is pretty fantastic and gets better as it warms. I think the alcohol is over bearing at first but the taste gets better as it warms. The slight oxidation is moderately off putting but that's the only real strike against this beer.

06-07-2011 03:37:48 | More by waltersrj