Microbrew Invitational

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Rye Beer

This red in color, unfiltered ale has light caramel and malty biscuit flavors. It has also been hopped up for all you hopheads. Well balance and delicious.

Added by MasterSki on 02-21-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
3.72/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

On tap, 12 oz pour, can't remember the price.

Appearance: Looks like liquid apricot, very orange. Little to no head.

Smell: Not a lot of rye smell, but it's there. Otherwise I get hops.

Taste: I was fully expecting the rye onslaught of most other rye beers, but this one was almost sweet, with a hoppy intro and a honey-like aftertaste that melted away the rye flavors very quickly. The bitterness is there, but it's not bad. I had had a Founders Centennial IPA much earlier in the evening and that was much more bitter. With the lack of carbonation this is unusually easy to drink rye.

Mouthfeel: The sticky, syrupy mouthfeel kind of lets it down. It was interesting at first but got cloying after a while. Those expecting a crisply finishing rye beer will be disappointed.

Overall: A highly drinkable rye is welcome and I'm happy to report Kuhnhenn has put their unique mark on yet another style. I'd get it again, but not as a first choice.

3.26/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Type: on tap 12 oz
Glass: small pint
From: kuhnhenn's
Price: $5

Appearance: deep orange almost copper color. Nice clarity and thin off white head

Smell: rye and hops

Taste: strong bitter rye and earthy hops. Way too bitter for me. I like my hoppy beers with a bit more balance.

Mouthfeel: overly bitter and too sticky

Overall: this beer was decent. By far my worst beer from kuhnhenn's and that's partially why I look so hard at it

Kuhnhenn Rye Guy from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.