Kuhnhenn Double Penetration Porter - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

No picture.

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-22-2013

From our original recipe, we boiled this batch longer for a higher ABV and added a ton more hops. It is black in color and has a roasty, caramel, hop aroma. It has a lightly burnt malty taste with a medium dry finish.
Ratings: 24 | Reviews: 1
Reviews by nlmartin:
4.12/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

On tap at the wonderful Kuhnhenn brewery in Warren. Double Penetration is black in the center with deep, cruddy brown around the edges... I'm talking about beer, you pervert. The foamy, khaki head sits like a cloud atop the porter, leaving behind some nice clingers; decent chunks of lace are left outlining the glass when I'm finally finished drinking it.

Looots of chocolate malt in the aroma. I mean, lots. Sweet and creamy and delectable, if you're a chocolate lover, that is. Not quite as roasty as the single Penetration, though I don't think the malt bill ratios changed (my information is not sourced, however). Faint hits of dark fruit sit in the periphery; prunes and rotten figs. There's a touch of roasted malt in there somewhere, but it's certainly not the front-runner.

The first sip leads me into an elegant and dominant creamy chocolate profile (to be expected from the aroma) that also contains a reasonable amount of burnt coffee beans. Roast is a bit higher, so maybe it's just something that's better perceived by the palate. However, the beer is still a bit more sweet than the single version, and in the end, the sweetness wins out just by a nose over the roasted malt flavors.

Either way - sweet, roasty, all-inclusive, this beer is really good. The flavor drops off the dark fruit a bit and tacks on some subtle coffee and more roast in exchange. Am I okay with that? Absolutely. Not too sweet to put a fur coat on your teeth, either, which is always nice. Medium bodied, erring on the side of being thin... Basically a little watered down compared to how I like my porters, but it's not a distracting concern. Ample carbonation, slick and swishing mouth feel.

Apparently they added a ton more hops to this beer as compared to the original Penetration. Hmm.. didn't get much hop on the nose, aside from maybe some light ash/herbs, but really I might just be making that up. It was certainly a bit more chocolate-y and more robust. Could have been heavier for the style, but it was drinkable as hell for 8% ABV, and I think I enjoyed it just a bit more than it's little brother.

Kuhnhenn Double Penetration Porter from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company