Terminal Gravity IPA - Terminal Gravity Brewing Company

Terminal Gravity IPATerminal Gravity IPA

Terminal Gravity Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: sinistersteve on 08-15-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terminal Gravity IPA Alström Bros

Okay, I live in Portland, so we're used to hops, hops, and *more* hops... But then again, sometimes a beer comes along and changes your perception of what its style has to offer. As a disclaimer, this beer was my first "gateway beer", so I'm a little biased. However, after tasting *numerous* IPAs in their various forms from myriad breweries, I can clearly say that this beer is without a doubt my absolute favorite go-to IPA, ever. Ever-ever-ever.

Now, here are a few reasons for this.

First, the owners/brewers, Dean and Steve, simply cannot be bothered to distribute this beer too far out of their reach (the Northwest). This is because they want to ensure the absolute best quality of the beer. Period. No contract brewing either.

Second, I believe TG may not ever submit this beer to the GABF, World Cup, NABA, et. al. Why? See above. Also, they don't care about awards; they care about beer.

Third, you do not know the power and the complexity of this beer unless you've tried it on tap at the brewery in Enterprise, Oregon. It is, quite simply, dazzling, sublime, and constant. It is my opinion that the tap version of this beer is far superior to the bottled version. Then again, I'm sure TG would agree. So, if you're looking to trade for this fine beer, I advise you get a hand-bottling from a growler source. Seriously.

When you get a tapped pint, you will find a beautifully hazy amber fluid with orange highlights, and tight bubbles with slow ascension through the murk. The head tends to a nice rich, rocky medium tanned-yellow that says "yup, you're in for malt".

Smell it, and you are rewarded with not just citrusy hops, but deeply citrus levels of tangerine, mild pink grapefruit, and a snip of Jonagold apple. Pine, ever so mildly, shows tentatively through the fruit. Note the biscuit suggestion, you'll taste it shortly.

Taste it (when you've let it warm up for a bit) and you'll experience this lovely mouthwarming caramel sweetness that defies cloying, with probably a dash of burnt cherry, and a bold, slap you *carefully* on the side of the head bitterness that is not at all astringent, but oily in texture. The balance: like an Olympic gymnast designed the grist and hop schedule. The biscuit comes through in the after and sits, just for a moment, as just a brief suggestion.

The mouth is so full, but not filling; you basically wish TG would just do an English barleywine with this beer's recipe as the starting point. It's close enough.

Overall, if you go to the Northwest, see this beer on tap, and purposely overlook it, you have made a terrible mistake. Moreover, if you've had other AIPAs and find this one boring, then you have burnt out your taste buds with hops. My suggestion is that you drink some malty beers for a while to reset your opinions, and then try a fine backwoods version of the way a true "Northwest IPA" should be.

I bought this one on line because:
1, it's not available here and
2, because of some very strong input I've read about the quality of this IPA.

In a nutshell, this is THE best tasting IPA I've ever tasted. As a result, I could do nothing but give it a perfect 5. I mean, if one cannot find any negative aspects to a beer, why NOT give it a perfect 5 score?

Best regards,
Bill

4.88/5  rDev +29.4%

This is an incredible IPA for its smooth creamy drinkability alone. There are plenty of hops alright but the beer seems to combine into a hoppy grapefruity pineappley goodness. The nose is very fruity to the point where citrus is often the dominant note. The taste also echoes fruit but the hops hold there own and tie it all together. Should of bought more bottles home but I had no idea how much I would of liked this beer.

4.83/5  rDev +28.1%

* I dinginged it for its lack of clarity. It is a tad hazy so I could not give it a 4 on appearance but Damn is this a fine IPA *

I am currently sitting in my backroom printing out orders, answering emails and enjoying a fine fine bottle of Terminal Gravity IPA.

YUUUMMM, You all know what I'm talking about. That hazy copper orange color, tight but not overly large head, floral citrus hop aroma and that light malty / fruity flavor that quickly gets overwhelmed by the wonderfully aggressive hop bitterness.

The day has finally come, TG got themselves a bottling line. Their capacity is still rather small so availablity will be a little spotty. I've got some but I will probably sell out of mine today or tomorrow so get it while the getting's good.

I expect it will be available at the other usual beer spots, how fast they will sell out I don't know.

The boys down at Point Blank have to spread this shipment around but I hope to get a good quantity in soon and am looking forward to getting in some of the other TG beer.

Later

Matt Maples

Liquid Solutions
450 Beers, Wine, Meads and Ciders online.
www.liquidsolutions.biz
503-524-9722

May mead regain it place as the beverage of gods and kings.

4.83/5  rDev +28.1%

By far, the best IPA I've ever had. Drinking a beer of this stature makes me realize how well I have it here in the Pacific Northwest. This is a tough beer to find and as far as I know, only a handful of pubs carry this beer, but once you do find it, drink up. You'll be glad you did.

4.68/5  rDev +24.1%

Terminal Gravity’s IPA is truly one of the best in the state. For that matter, it is one of the best IPAs anywhere. It has a lemon-piney smell with a breezy, grassy expression, a deft, casual blanket of white suds, and a full stadium of lace. The dense ruddy-orange color glows with rich translucence.

This beer is soothing in ways I cannot begin to express. To drink this at the source, at a picnic table in front of the brewpub in Enterprise, is to enjoy a quintessential craft beer moment. TG’s IPA has a voluptuous mouthfeel and a refined bitterness that is perfectly proportioned.

A prince among pales.

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

Wow! Yet another hoppy US brew to find it's way to Oz via David Logdson. Did I say you rock? Anyways, excitement plus, shared with ScottDog and Tits. I'd read a few reviews on this brew via BA before sampling, so I was well aware of it's hoppy goodness.

The TG IPA poured a pale orange into the oversized wine glasses, with a thin (1cm) slightly off white head, that left plenty of lacing on the glass as I sipped. Nicely unfiltered, with a hint of yeast cloud.

Aroma: Wow! a huge hop aroma, blasting me, bigger than any Australian made IPA I can think of at the moment. Big malt, citrus, piney hops, alcohol warmth(?), and more crystal malt.

Tasted wonderful, I could definately drink a few of these. Sadly we only got 1 to share. Huge malt, biscuity, balanced with the exceptional hop bitterness and lingering hop flavour. Hints of the 6.7% abv, more malt and a dry finish, with plenty of hop in the aftertaste. You really know you're drinking a well amde beer here.

Again, why can't Aussie brewers make beer like this. There are the exceptions (Wig & Pen, JS Brewhouse), but there needs to be more of these gorgeous hoppy creations.

Brew Before Dishonour!

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

Boy, am I glad they started bottling this. Had heard of it but never tried it. Got to pick up a few at Belmont Station when I was out in Portland, OR recently.

This beer had a seriously grassy\floral nose, like fresh grass clippings, thistle, pine and dandelions. The taste was obviously bitter citrusy hops, but mixed with just enough sweet caramel malt to really take the edge off the finish and leave only a tiny bit of dryness. Really refreshing, well-balanced and smooth, I like IPAs but just going for maximum bitterness doesn't impress me as much as an IPA that's refreshing and smooth while still being strongly bitter, which this one definitely is. I would certainly recommend this beer!

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Nice grassy hop aroma. Some citrus notes too. Behind all the hops is a nice grainy malt aroma. I get some sweet tofee malt notes too.

Pours with a smallish head, but what's there lasts through the pint. Light rising carbonation bubbles. Really nice amber/orange color and very clear.

Really good malt profile is what I notice first (which I dig since I like balance) then a powerful dose of bitter hops. Lots of toffe flavors and just a hint of diacetyl on later sips. Also good grassy hop flavor. The aftertaste is a nice combo of bitter hop oils and sweet.

Body is a little thin, more of a standard pale ale feel. Carbonation level is a little low but then it's a growler so that's normal.

Very dinkable IPA. Both hoppy and well balanced. I would definitely recommend it.

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a pretty orange-golden color with a good inch and a half of thick creamy, off-white head that leaves a lot of sticky lacing on the glass. Beautiful aroma of spicy, resinous hops - pine and grapefruit predominate, with a subtle smoky character lingering in the background. Palate is very hop-forward - grapefruity, piney hops balanced by just a touch of sweet malt. Notes of light honey and citrus are detectable on the finish. Body is just sticky enough, without being syrupy. Lupulin residue covers the mouth and teeth after swallowing, necessitating some tooth-brushing when the glass is empty. One of my favorite IPAs, from one of the (as yet) most underrated and undiscovered breweries in the country.

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

A: Pours a cloudy amber/orangish color. Frothy 2 finger width head. Good lacing down the glass.
S: Smell is herbal/grassy. Smells a lot like hemp actually. There is also a biscut, malty smell.
T: Very well balanced. Slightly sweet biscut malt taste up front. Nice citrusy, bitter but not too bitter aftertaste.
M: Very creamy and easy drinking. Mild carbonation.
D: Very good IPA, well balanced and easy drinking. I preferred the smell over the taste. Reminded me a lot of 60 min IPA from Dogfish.

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Served at Rose and Raindrop in Portland. The hazy orange-amber beer arrived with a thick white creamy head. The nose was strongly floral, with a delightful citrus component. A big, creamy, and smooth body delivered rich malt tones, citrus notes, and an aggressive bitter finish that is rounded out well with a touch of sweetness. This is a superbly crafted and seducing IPA that left me highly satisfied.

4.36/5  rDev +15.6%

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy, murky orange-amber color. Shallow soapy head leaves some spotty lace.

Slight sweet light malt with lots of herbal and floral hops with some citrus and a tinge of alcohol.

Hops dominate the flavor. Very floral hop impression up front as with the nose. More woodsy flavors of pine come in the middle with a more citrus impression on the finish, Very nice mild bittering throughout.

Good medium-high carbonation with soft feel from the fine bubbles. I like this beer, wish it was available around here.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

I've had this aging (not on purpose but it was at my parents house) for about 6 months now, and its just gotten better with time.

Not the hoppiest IPA ever (not hoppy like the torpedo) but the combination of hop and malt is fantastic and the taste is amazing in my opinion, with almost a caramel aftertaste. Not to sweet or to bitter. Just perfect.

Maybe it's just cause I'm in a really good mood but every time i have this beer i think it's exceptional, its not on the Stone Ruination IPA level, but its definitely up there with my favorite.

~Clive

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Nice copper coloring, fairly clear with active carbonation. Big white frothy head with fresh citrus aroma. Nice wide bitter profile, start to finish a pleasant hop experience. Sweet but complimentary maltiness, dry finish. Saliva glands want more, so I submit.

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Had this on-tap at Henry's 12th Street Tavern in Portland, Oregon. Poured a hazy dark copper color with a small, off-white head. Good retention. Nice, malty center to it. Some toasted grains in there. Clean, hoppy finish. Good carbonation. Overall, a nicely balanced, supremely drinkable IPA. Great example of a session beer.

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Had this on tap at a couple of different pubs in Portland. It had a hazy color with a bit of a head. Very strong grapefruit aroma - Yum. This is really a great example of what I’ve come to expect with respect to NW IPA’s. SLightly off-white head with OK lacing.

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Terminal Gravity pours a nice amber with a sea foam head.

Smell is hoppy with a more maltiness than other American IPA's I have tasted. The initial hop smell has more of an herbal quality.

The taste is lovely with a bitterness to maltiness ratio that makes it like satin to drink.

Mouth feel on this beer is relaxed and smooth.

Over all one of my favorite IPA's to date. I drink it as a standby knowing that quality awaits.

Terminal Gravity IPA from Terminal Gravity Brewing Company