Terminal Gravity IPA - Terminal Gravity Brewing Company

Terminal Gravity IPATerminal Gravity IPA

Terminal Gravity Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: sinistersteve on 08-15-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terminal Gravity IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 228 | Reviews: 143
2.28/5  rDev -39.5%

Bottled: unk

A: amber and hazy with a finger of light yellow suds. These leave behind a cobweb of lace to a sheet of the same.
S: biscuity malts with a overlay of subtle tropical fruits almost reminds me of pineapple gummi bears. Again, subtle.
T: Bitter with malts. The hops are bitter, but do not offer a substantial amount of flavors beyond this. Standard hints of resin and citrus (grapefruit)
M: Medium bodied (on heavy) with moderately hi carb. A bit much for the style.
O: This beer is quite nice on tap, I fear this is a case of an old bottle, too bad I can't be sure...

2.3/5  rDev -39%

This arrived with a fluffy, off-white/light-tan head with decent retention. The nose had a lightly hoppy scent, at best. The color was a medium-amber with decent clarity. The mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a light hop presence on the tongue. The finish was frankly a bit watery with the hops barely deigning to stick around. Again, here was what would be a great IPA in the South where IPAs are often summer seasonals, but in the Pacific Northwest? Bah!

2.59/5  rDev -31.3%

Citrus and too bitter. Could not finish my sample. Hop aroma, nothing else. Where's my malt? Medium bodied. Wood, grass, I don't know what other particles, bad herbal tea. In fact, took a tea to clean the palate after this one.
Hooray! Hooray! Another IPA. Radekfest 05 sample 31.

2.64/5  rDev -30%

12 oz bottle.
6.7% abv.

Interesting to read the wide range of reviews for this beer. Quite polarizing. Love it or leave it, I guess..

Dark (yet translucent) orange. Very large head..soap suds bubbles and islands of lacing left on the glass.
I had to smell this a couple times to make sure I wasn't going crazy..this doesn't smell like I thought it would. With the edgy neon bottle graphics, the huge lettering of "IPA" stamped on the front, and the fact that this is a Pacific Northwest version, I thought I'd be in for some serious citrus cone hops for some reason.. Instead, herbal hops and a woody, earthy malt come out and mix for an almost medicinal creation. Different alright.. Medium bodied..oily mouthfeel. Not sure I could drink too many of these in a sitting..the flavors just don't jive together like they should..and any brew trying to pass as an IPA is going to have to show more hop character than this to be respectable in my book.
Certainly doesn't seem to fit the bold American style and misses the mark for me.

I've got another bottle to compare to this one, but I'm not thinking this was a bad bottle..I'm thinking simply just a subpar beer.

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Hmmm, well, I really wanted to like this beer, seeing as how there are a few of them in my fridge. However, it definitely made middle grades, at best.

Poured a color best described as iced tea red-brown. Little head, not much lacing.

Smell is, well, not the best. Citrusy with something else, that at first eluded my memory banks - then it came back to me - stale bong water. (They told me my memory would be affected - damn!) Can't smell much malt, and maybe these were bad Centennial hops? I've had them be too grassy, but never like this.

Taste - odd. Simply put. Sorta feel the hops and yet you don't. Complex, but not in a good way. Maltiness appears once beer warms slightly, as does some alchohol backbone, but not enough to save my tastebuds and make this a good taste. Avergae at best.

Mouthfeel - much like the taste - strange, unique, and all still not in a "want another one" way. Guess that says something about the drinkability, as well.

2.78/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As an extra from Wackyfoot, thanks, sir!

So this pours an ambery gold with a bit of haze, a nice solid finger or two of head. Lightly creamy, moderate retention.

Aroma is very mild citric hops, a bit of floral notes, around a strong malt presence, toasted bread. It's faint, and not very hop-forward.

On the palate this is even more pronounced... a malt forward flavor which is not wholly unpleasant... reminds me of HopDevil's malt bill, and it has an appropriately balancing bitterness, but where did that hop flavor go, exactly? Nice toasted malt notes with hints of caramel. Nice dry finish, medium bodied, drinkable...

On the one hand, this isn't a BAD beer, no off flavors, and I like what's there, on the other hand, it's hard to score this even average in the taste and drinkability categories because if I really was in the mood for an IPA and this is what I got? I'd be miffed.

2.87/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a very hazy hazy orangy yellow. It sort of reminds me of something that's been peed on by a cat, but without the ammonia in the nose. It has a nice enough bite but doesn't really blow me away. I like my IPA's to really grab ahold of you and go "I AM A RICH AND TASTY PIECE OF HOP GLORY!" whilst shaking your body from the collar. Don't get me wrong, it's smooth enough to drink, and it goes down really nicely with a satiny bubbly feeling sensation. In fact, I bet this is even better on a hot summer day with the barbecue going... but i've had much better IPA's... It's run of the mill. sorry.

2.92/5  rDev -22.5%

No head, no lace ... generically copper IPA ... is my glass beer clean? Oh yes, I just downed a few and it sure was ...

Metallic hop leaf reigns supreme on the nose. Completely unenticing. Hints of cooked veggies and grain.

Strangely rye-like consistency to the malt, which should be a complement but isn't at all. Something unpleasant about the malt keeps me away from enjoyment of the only mediocre hop presence.

Can't forgive the hop blasts when the malt tastes likes its dredged up from the Willamette river.

Meh.

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a orangey-yellowish-amber with just a thin cap of white head that had no retention and little lacing.

Predominately pine hop aroma with some citrus notes, no noticeable malt. On the tongue, the citrus hops have a stronger presence with the pine more at the back. Again, not much malt flavor.

Body and drinkability were both average. Overall, this beer is an average IPA. Average is not a bad word. I enjoyed this beer and will certainly enjoy more in the future. Worth trying when you see it.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle in a tulip glass.

Golden color with some haze and suspended particles. Bottle says live beer so probably looks as it should. Nice head with good retention and lacing. Smells of apple and malt. Tastes a bit sweet and has almost a smokey flavor. Not much in the way of hops.

Not a bad beer but doesn't measure up to a west coast IPA so not one I'd seek out.

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

10/05/05- Purchased at John's Marketplace in Portland, OR.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no dates on the bottle. Poured into my Englander pint glass.

Appearance- Amber-orange coloring. Just a tad cloudy. 1/2 inch head which evaporates fairly quick. Just specks of lace.

Smell- Really dark roasted malt with a touch of coffee?? Really struggling to find much of any hop presence.

Taste- Yeah, this beer has a very dark malt side to it. Almost a tad smoky with a slight coffee taste to it. There are some hops present, but they barely come out because of all the malt that hits you in the face. Mid range bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation.

Drinkability- No liking this as an IPA at all. Maybe as a malty Pale Ale, but certainly not an IPA. Label looked kinda cheesy as well. Just isn't a quality brew.

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It is quite a happy day indeed; Terminal Gravity Brewing (of Enterprise Oregon) has finally got a bottling line. There are many (myself included) that think that TG makes the finest IPA in the state of Oregon. I am now happy to spread the TG word to the rest of the US. Sure there are more bitter beers and there are stronger IPAs out there but none seems to bring it all together quite as well as TG.

YUUUMMM, You all know what I'm talking about. That hazy copper orange color, tight but not overly large head, floral citrus hop aroma and that light malty / fruity flavor that quickly gets overwhelmed by the wonderfully aggressive hop bitterness.

If you’re a hophead I suggest buying more than one bottle. If you only get one you will be heart broken that you have to wait another shipping cycle for more.

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

Excellent clarity and orange/amber in color with quite a bit of visible carbonation. The head was off white and about a finger thick and showed just a short amount of retention.

Aroma is very light and fruity citrus notes. Lots of toasted grains.

The flavor does favor the malt up front. There is a very strong malt backbone that then moves to a very bitter finish. There is not a great deal of fruit/citrus flavors to the beer. Not very exciting. I wish I knew the more accurate description, but sometimes I describe hop bitterness as dull or dead, vs. lively and fresh.. This is definitely more dull. Just a toasted malt flavor right to a dull bitterness. Not very exciting.

Mouth feel is medium/light bodied and a bit dry.. almost astringent.

Not too exciting and thus not that drinkable.

Don't think I'll be back at this IPA destination.

3.12/5  rDev -17.2%

Super fresh, from the brewery. Dark salmon in color. Well developed head of white froth. Floral, herbaceous, piney and medicinal hop aroma, although it isn’t quite as vibrant as the best IPA’s. Flavor is oily and slick, hoppy as hell,, in a non traditional American way, but not exactly English either. The hops are floral and herbaceous, while the malt underneath is subtle, with hints of caramel and butter toffee.

3.13/5  rDev -17%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. No bottling info is present. Comes in at 6.9%. Purchased at Bear Creek Beers in Medford, OR for $1.45.

A-Pours a murcky amber that takes on an orangish hue in the light. It pours with a very minimal off white head that breaks off into a small ring that surrounds a filmy circle.

S-Really boring nose. There are some citrus hops that are present, but they are overpowered by earthy/grassy/herbal notes. Caramel malt is also noticeable.

T-It tastes a lot like it smells. Sweet malt is very upfront and the herbal hop flavros are very strong. The citrus is also present, but does not pop. Considering the sweetness that is present, it finishes dry and leaves some residual bitternesss. Halfway through it really takes on a strong medicinal taste in the back of the mouth and that taste remains in between sips.

M-Medium bodied with comfortable carbonation. It is dry and somewhat bitter.

D-Based on this bottle, I would have to pass. Too herbal tasting and the medicinal flavor that kicks up is not my thing.

The hardest part about reviewing this beer was wondering if it is past its prime or if this is the way it was intended by the brewers. Based on some other reviews, others have also picked up on some of its unusual flavors. I will save final judgment until I have consumed what I know is a fresh version.

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Got this one in a recent trade with younger35. Thanks Dan!
It poured a murky orange/amber with some whitish foam that formed a thin skim of fine bubbles and a solid collar. Spotty lacing. Weak aroma with some dull citrusy hops and caramel. Moderate bitterness with a bit of resin lingering in the finish. Citrusy and grassy hop notes, a bit of toasty caramel sweetness. The flavour's a little dull. Slightly spicy alcohol in the finish too. Medium bodied with a decent texture, slight dryness and plenty of carbonation. Not bad, it just seems like the character is muted and nothing really pops. The balance is okay, but doesn't make up for it.

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

A: deep golden honey with hints of orange; good head
S: some malt, bright Meyer lemons; one dimensional
T: rich and full but not complex; wish there was more fesh hops instead of malt domination; nicely balanced, some bitterness
M: rich, fully
O: a pretty good beer that I'd like to try on tap or maybe a fresher bottle. Wish the alcohol level was a little lower than the 6.9%.

3.22/5  rDev -14.6%

A: poured a darker amber color, much darker than i expected, with a one finger fluffy foam head that dissipated in about a minute to leave some large bubbles in the center and around the edges.

S: initial smell was very biscuity and almost no hops. after a few sniffs i start to pick up some very complex floral notes. spices, cinnamon, pretty interesting. probably the best aspect of this beer.

T: very malty for an IPA, tasted like a lager at first but then the hops hit in the finish and linger slightly. for me personally the hops are being too masked in this IPA in what I can only assume is an attempt to create a balanced brew.

M: a very smooth mouthfeel, well balanced with a touch of carbonation.

D: this is a pretty heavy beer IMO. Not sure I'd be reaching for more than one of these.

note: a good choice for those that like a more balanced IPA with less bitter hops. this is not a bad beer, i just prefer a lighter, brighter, hop-forward crisp and refreshing IPA.

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

A: a good hearty copper color with soft yellow tones at the edges. Soapy ring of foam at the top that hosted mostly bubbles. Looks good and hearty for an IPA/APA

S: strong malt profile and boasts soft toasted caramel notes. Hops are of the green kind (pine and grassy). Something unusual about this...yeast-like notes

T: hops smell alright and yet something funky about the hops, dry, wry, and musty. Caramelized malts are the main show, toasted notes are present as well as a soft roasted vibe. For me, this is the prominent taste on the palate...malts. Hops occupy a small area and have a strange flavor that has old grapefruit, lemons, and pine flavors

M: good feel and well rounded type of vibe. For the amount of hops in the nose the finish is far from what you would expect. It does not have that nice true and clean hoppy finish. Body dimensions are alright and feel good

D: I will pass on this IPA/APA. Hearty malt vibe and what hops there are, fairly good, are a bit strange and rank

3.24/5  rDev -14.1%

Thanks to msubulldog25 for this extra in a great trade.

a - pours a deep burnt orange with a two-finger white head with good retention and awesome lacing, good amount of suspended sediment, very good looking beer

s - big grainy/biscuity aroma mixed with the hops, very unique from any other IPA I've tried

t - sweet piney hops up front with the same unique grainy/biscuity taste from the aroma filling out the body and seeping into the finish, finish is nicely bitter and dry, also long-lasting

m - lots of carbonation, medium-bodied, very dry finish

d - dryness of the finish might limit drinkability somewhat, the somewhat higher abv for a regular IPA might also limit somewhat

Very unique IPA. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the grainy/biscuity nature of the beer, but I'm glad I tried it - just not really what I'm looking for in an IPA. Worth a try.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a dirty yellow, and smells vaguely of citrus. Tastes of some extremely bitter citrus and another flavor that I can't quite place. Maybe vinegar? At any rate, something is a bit off and this doesn't really measure up to the high standards of a good west coast IPA. Not bad, but not great. Just not a good balance of flavor. It's drinkable, and it wasn't a problem to make it thru the glass, but I didn't really feel like I wanted another one.

3.27/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz : tulip

Clear, burnt orange with a thick, foamy off white head.

Herbal, piney, balanced with a malty, caramel malt backbone.

Medium+ body, mild foamy carbonation.

A decent tasting beer overall, but doesn't meet my expectations as an IPA as the hops seemed muted and the malt more prominent than I'd like.

3.28/5  rDev -13%

A: The ale pours with a hazy auburn orange color with a finger's worth of head that laces throughout the glass.

S: The ale has a grainy malt aroma with not a lot of hop presence.

T: Biscuity and toffee malts dominate this beer. The grainy malts are very strong and focused, shining from first sip to last. The hops pop up after the malts subside a bit. Those hops are slightly bitter, giving a kick of citrus hops to the ale. That kick is a swift, soft kick as the malts return in the finish and share the stage with the malts.

M: The ale is too malty to be an IPA, in my opinion. The malts are good but the overall taste falls a bit short.

D: I'd have 2 or 3 easily if I was told this is an APA, otherwise I'd seek more hops.

3.31/5  rDev -12.2%

Served on draught in a shaker pint, the Terminal Gravity IPA poured a very cloudy, burnt straw color, with a small, creamy, light tan head that left thick lace and skim.

The smell is moderate, mainly biscuit like malt, with an earthy, spicy hop aroma.

The taste follows suit and is malt centric with a firm, bitter hop back bone. Notes of toasted bread and a touch of alcohol, mainly spicy hophs with more subdued pine resin.

The mouthfeel a bit oily with a soft creaminess, medium bodied.

Not too bad, it was quite different then the typical cascade citrus hop profile of most NW IPAs, but the hops flavor and aromas could have been brought out more then mainly bittering.

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

Ok--I might be a little biased here after all the talk of the recent recipe change to the Smuttynose IPA and I have to say that this reminds me of the new Smutty IPA as was suggested in the thread today.

Amber with a touch of foam and some decent lace. Smell is mild but has some hoppiness to it--kinda piney. The taste is dry and malty with some hoppiness but it just isnt as assertive as I like. It wants to be a robust IPA but it just isnt. This is the same way I felt after trying the NH beer I mentioned earlier. Good mouthfeel and drinkability though as it is not too strong on the tongue. Has a sort of burnt wood element to it which I actually think is helping the MF and drinkability.

Terminal Gravity IPA from Terminal Gravity Brewing Company