Terminal Gravity IPA - Terminal Gravity Brewing Company

Terminal Gravity IPATerminal Gravity IPA

Terminal Gravity Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: sinistersteve on 08-15-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terminal Gravity IPA Alström Bros
GClarkage

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

10/05/05- Purchased at John's Marketplace in Portland, OR.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no dates on the bottle. Poured into my Englander pint glass.

Appearance- Amber-orange coloring. Just a tad cloudy. 1/2 inch head which evaporates fairly quick. Just specks of lace.

Smell- Really dark roasted malt with a touch of coffee?? Really struggling to find much of any hop presence.

Taste- Yeah, this beer has a very dark malt side to it. Almost a tad smoky with a slight coffee taste to it. There are some hops present, but they barely come out because of all the malt that hits you in the face. Mid range bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation.

Drinkability- No liking this as an IPA at all. Maybe as a malty Pale Ale, but certainly not an IPA. Label looked kinda cheesy as well. Just isn't a quality brew.

10-06-2005 00:07:51 | More by GClarkage
warriorsoul

Thanks to lostbearbrew for this one...
Attractive hazy orange copper color w/ a full finger and a half of foamy bright white head...lacing is quite thick and holds firm to the side of the shaker glass.
Aroma is very nice...a boat load of marmalade hops and a sweetness drawing me in.
Taste is very enjoyable...a bitter punch of fruity hops, tangerines and red grapes come through. A hefty dose of malt adding the perfect amount of sweetness and balancing this one out beautifully.
Bitterness remains throughout and finishes quite clean.
The mouthfeel is thicker than average and the carbonation is nice.
I could drink quite a number of these and be quite content.
A solid IPA from Terminal Gravity and a nice first impression.

09-23-2005 00:12:06 | More by warriorsoul
rousee

3.33/5  rDev -11.9%

Ok--I might be a little biased here after all the talk of the recent recipe change to the Smuttynose IPA and I have to say that this reminds me of the new Smutty IPA as was suggested in the thread today.

Amber with a touch of foam and some decent lace. Smell is mild but has some hoppiness to it--kinda piney. The taste is dry and malty with some hoppiness but it just isnt as assertive as I like. It wants to be a robust IPA but it just isnt. This is the same way I felt after trying the NH beer I mentioned earlier. Good mouthfeel and drinkability though as it is not too strong on the tongue. Has a sort of burnt wood element to it which I actually think is helping the MF and drinkability.

09-15-2005 22:47:03 | More by rousee
revdrjbob

Australia

4.55/5  rDev +20.4%

Wow! Yet another hoppy US brew to find it's way to Oz via David Logdson. Did I say you rock? Anyways, excitement plus, shared with ScottDog and Tits. I'd read a few reviews on this brew via BA before sampling, so I was well aware of it's hoppy goodness.

The TG IPA poured a pale orange into the oversized wine glasses, with a thin (1cm) slightly off white head, that left plenty of lacing on the glass as I sipped. Nicely unfiltered, with a hint of yeast cloud.

Aroma: Wow! a huge hop aroma, blasting me, bigger than any Australian made IPA I can think of at the moment. Big malt, citrus, piney hops, alcohol warmth(?), and more crystal malt.

Tasted wonderful, I could definately drink a few of these. Sadly we only got 1 to share. Huge malt, biscuity, balanced with the exceptional hop bitterness and lingering hop flavour. Hints of the 6.7% abv, more malt and a dry finish, with plenty of hop in the aftertaste. You really know you're drinking a well amde beer here.

Again, why can't Aussie brewers make beer like this. There are the exceptions (Wig & Pen, JS Brewhouse), but there needs to be more of these gorgeous hoppy creations.

Brew Before Dishonour!

08-15-2005 07:31:20 | More by revdrjbob
Wasatch

Utah

Pours a cloudy golden in color with a huge creamy head which lasts a long time. Tons of lacing. Not much of a hoppy scent as in other IPAs, but notheless very nice. Does not have the bite as other IPAs, but goes down pretty smooth, light-medium body. This brew is very drinkable at 6.7% ABV. Overall a nice brew, but does lack in what other IPAs have to offer. Recommended though.

08-14-2005 19:04:22 | More by Wasatch
lostbearbrew

Georgia

2.63/5  rDev -30.4%

Hmmm, well, I really wanted to like this beer, seeing as how there are a few of them in my fridge. However, it definitely made middle grades, at best.

Poured a color best described as iced tea red-brown. Little head, not much lacing.

Smell is, well, not the best. Citrusy with something else, that at first eluded my memory banks - then it came back to me - stale bong water. (They told me my memory would be affected - damn!) Can't smell much malt, and maybe these were bad Centennial hops? I've had them be too grassy, but never like this.

Taste - odd. Simply put. Sorta feel the hops and yet you don't. Complex, but not in a good way. Maltiness appears once beer warms slightly, as does some alchohol backbone, but not enough to save my tastebuds and make this a good taste. Avergae at best.

Mouthfeel - much like the taste - strange, unique, and all still not in a "want another one" way. Guess that says something about the drinkability, as well.

07-21-2005 17:24:03 | More by lostbearbrew
blitheringidiot

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Henry's Pub in Portland, OR for $4.50.

Presents itself wll mannered as a dark orange hued pour with an impressive slightly hazy deep sunset amber that beguiled the eye, topped off with a thick beige sticky gooey well defined head cap. Lattice lace left behind was impressive.

Deep aroamtic thick pine hops and malt balance.

First swigs: A bit English malts at first cornered with a seriously hopped brew of supreme rye notes. Some seedy organic aspects. Lingering finish of well balanced spicy IPA juciness. Finishes orange & Tang-like.

Zesty feel, with crisp medium body added by a zip of citrous acidic feel.

Last swigs: Bold noble IPA with a medium build that goes back excellent with my spicy burger.

Beer is good. Happy fresh loal NW beering.

07-06-2005 05:11:38 | More by blitheringidiot
nvsblman

Arizona

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Dark chestnut brown with a little bit of pure white head. Citrusy hops and a stronger than expected biscuity malt aroma. This is a really refreshing, fairly well balanced beer. Nice sweet malt just slightly overpowered by citrusy hops. I notice just a little pine in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was a bit thin and loaded with tiny bubbles. All in all a pretty nice beer!

06-01-2005 02:56:17 | More by nvsblman
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours dark copper, nice frothy head and a slight chill haze.
Pleasant hoppiness in the nose.
Floral and mildly pungent Northwest aromatics, not overwhelming.
Malt backbone stands up well to the citrus and fruit, with a bit of harshness.
Pretty aggresively bitter on the pallet, with decent hop flavoring and a ridgid but somewhat muddy crispness.
Clunky malt charcter and rough hop bitterness hides the warming alcohol well.
The big juicy, piney, citrus whack in the face seems to be missing
with this sample, might not be the freshest.
I had this one back in '02 I think, at the Rose and Raindrop on tap, and it knocked my socks off. Back then, the barkeep called it "the Stick" (referring to the tap marker).

05-11-2005 23:21:34 | More by brewandbbq
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brightest pumpkin, filled with a maelstrom of fine yeast. The lovely looking head is the color of orange-tinted parchment and has a bubbly upper surface that, except for the color, looks like caramelizing sugar. As it falls, the cap comes to resemble a dollop of whipped heavy cream. Thin scraps of lace don't impress as much as beer and head.

The mega-hoppy nose has an unfortunate secondary aroma that is putting a brake on my enthusiasm. I've smelled something similar in beer from another brewery (that I won't mention) that I attributed to bad yeast. I'm really not sure what it's due to, but the 4-C hoppy goodness can't overcome the intrusion.

The flavor is more musty-funky and less hoppy yet. Even though the malt-hop balance is slightly out of whack and leans too heavily toward the malty side, this isn't an overly malty beer. The blunted hop presence still manages to impart a firmly bitter, grapefruity, sprucy character. The flavor profile never really finds its sea legs though, never really grabs hold with any kind of enthusiasm.

There's plenty of bitterness on the medium-long finish, but there isn't much true hop flavor. Sweet is favored early, dry is favored late. I have no complaints about the body/mouthfeel since it's in line with the rest of the beer's attributes.

Terminal Gravity IPA is a decent, highly hopped version with something goin' on that's a bit out of kilter. It would do in a pinch, but good-great IPAs are abundant in the Pacific Northwest and it fails to stay within shouting distance of the leaders. Destined for mid-pack, I'm afraid.

05-04-2005 15:57:20 | More by BuckeyeNation
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

Citrus and too bitter. Could not finish my sample. Hop aroma, nothing else. Where's my malt? Medium bodied. Wood, grass, I don't know what other particles, bad herbal tea. In fact, took a tea to clean the palate after this one.
Hooray! Hooray! Another IPA. Radekfest 05 sample 31.

04-06-2005 02:32:44 | More by Sammy
feloniousmonk

3.73/5  rDev -1.3%

Hazy, deep, dark orange appearance, slim layer of foam.
Fiercely citric aroma, big-time grapefruit and pine...wicked bitterness, very sharp, prickly and potent.
meets the mouth warmly and smooth, starts big, then quickly pales, leaving little sticky traces on the palate.
Taste is nice, creamy and fruity, but it begs to be more than it is. Medium-bodied, with a slightly bitter finish.
I can like it, but still find this IPA a bit odd (please see skyhand's review for a more accurate report on this), and lacking some important pleasure.

03-24-2005 02:45:54 | More by feloniousmonk
Jason

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

Deep tawny color, light haze with a thin bubbly lace. Spicy herbal and lightly pungent hop aroma, fruity and oily. Medium crispness, hoppy palate with a big handful of malt. Big punch of oily hop punget flavor, mild fruitiness and a malt sweetness that sneaks in towards the finish. A bit of wamth in the end from the alcohol.

A tasty and balanced IPA, not bad at all.

02-09-2005 01:42:30 | More by Jason
charlatan

United Kingdom (Scotland)

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured on tap at Kelly's Olympian in downtown Portland.

Initial frothy head quickly dissipated of its own accord. The beer has a slightly orange hue, but is more notable for its cloudiness. (One I had a few weeks ago at the same venue was so cloudy I couldn't make out my fingers on the other side of the glass at all. Today's was not that extreme.)

Smells sweet and citrusy. Impossible for me to be any less vague than that in this bar full of smokers.

Tastes very sweet and rather syrupy, with grapefruit featuring prominently. I dig these hops! The high alcohol content is apparent, but not obnoxiously so.

Has grainy, mottled feeling on tongue which might disturb some punters, but which I actually find rather pleasant.

This is from the eastern part of the state. I've never found it in bottles which is a pity because, while this is a great beer, one bottle at a time is probably all I need.

02-04-2005 21:11:27 | More by charlatan
clvand0

Kentucky

Thanks to kmpitz2 for sharing this one. Cool label. It pours a cloudy orange color with a small head that doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma is comprised of mostly dirty and earthy hops. Small amount of malt in the aroma. The flavor is much the same, but on a more subdued level. A little citrus, a little malt, some hops. Nice balance. Good brew.

02-01-2005 18:10:44 | More by clvand0
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer pours a pale hazy orange color with some chunkies falling to the bottom of my glass, and a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is full of earthy and citrusy hops and some caramel malts. The flavor is more citrusy than the nose would tell. I like it. The hop is also a bit earthy and a bit spicey. Overall, a nice balance. The feel is nice and thick. I think this is a nice IPA, but it would never be one of my favorites.

02-01-2005 02:22:41 | More by kmpitz2
ZAP

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a cloudy orange color....nose is big on canibusalso some biscuit maltiness evident...body is medium...firm...flavor is big on the weed...definitely a herbal hop presence but it finishes with a piney hop bitterness as well..nice bitterness on the long finsih to complement the herbal hoppiness....malt load is solid...mainly bready qualities although a hint of caramel..

Decent brew...I like it....seems more of an English IPA...not qhat I expected out of Oregon but decent enough

01-14-2005 06:05:25 | More by ZAP
bditty187

Nebraska

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

Orange-gold in hue, the liquid is quite hazy, no I mean murky. Umm… man, there is lot of yeast chunks. This is the antithesis of clarity. The head was off-white in color, at the apex the foam was two fingers in height and then it quickly faded to a healthy cap that was thicker around the edges. This small cap lasted for the entire consumption. The appearance is interesting. I like unfiltered beers but far too much yeast found my glass, I tried to limit it but I had no hope. Oh well. Subsequent lacing was webby and unorganized, it wasn’t very prevalent but it was widespread enough to be notable. The nose is loud in some regards. Huge notes of tropical fruits infused with a sprig of wildflowers from some warm island. Peach aromas are pronounced as well. The hops are juxtaposed. Biting, piney notes that intrigued me, plus there are some overwhelming marijuana vibes. The malt is big, really big for an IPA. Thundering notes of burnt caramel and molasses. Wood. The bouquet lacks forcefulness, some of the smells are “loud” but the nose on the whole is oddly restrained. I’m not sure what to make of it, I like it but I’m not impressed. It seems unrefined and raw (but not boastful, odd). Interesting but not inviting. The palate is heavy with that marijuana taste. Bong water? That would explain why it looks this way! I really wish at some point in my younger, stupider days I would have drank some bong water so I could compare it to this beer. Opportunity lost. The bitterness is weak, it reminds me of leaves and wood chips. Hops? Fooled me. Citrus zest. Orange juice with pulp. Bark. Burnt caramel. Molasses. Roasted grains. Grapes. At the swallow is a blast of alcohol heat that lights up my tongue. I like the heat; it adds some more complexity to this very, very odd tasting beer. The aftertaste is dry and mellow; it is like I smoked a joint a half hour ago. I guess I am so use to IPAs just being big, blasts of citrus from the “C” hops. This beer is unique I will give them that. Do I love it? No. I am intrigued. I wish I had another bottle or two so I could wrap my mind around it again. The palate is an odd son-of-a-bitch! A little bigger than medium in body, low but natural carbonation helps produce a pleasant, creamy mouthfeel. Relaxing. It turns out I kind of liked this beer. It is too unique for me not to like it. It is big, flavorful with a jolt of alcohol. I could kickback with a few of these, eat some cheese, listen to some P-Funk… yeah, that would be a good night. Purchased on-line at Liquid Solutions. Worth a try.

01-13-2005 12:56:32 | More by bditty187
Reidrover

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Bought in a 12 oz stubby brown bottle..says "live beer" onlabel so I suppose this is unpasteurized.
Nice murky orange colour, typical PNW IPA, in appearance, small pure white head and some nice carbonation..good lacing.
Classic American IPA aromas, graprefruit, spiciness and a lick of malt.
Quite a nice tasting IPA, decidedly hoppy !, yet under it all there lies a strong base of good malts, semi dry finish and a long lingering pleasant bitter aftertaste.
Nice on the palate and remarkably smooth for and IPA.
Quite a nice nd drinkable IPA. Not one of the very best..but good none-the-less. Would love to taste this fresh at the brewery some day..maybe next summer..

12-29-2004 06:08:55 | More by Reidrover
GreenWBush

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%

No head, no lace ... generically copper IPA ... is my glass beer clean? Oh yes, I just downed a few and it sure was ...

Metallic hop leaf reigns supreme on the nose. Completely unenticing. Hints of cooked veggies and grain.

Strangely rye-like consistency to the malt, which should be a complement but isn't at all. Something unpleasant about the malt keeps me away from enjoyment of the only mediocre hop presence.

Can't forgive the hop blasts when the malt tastes likes its dredged up from the Willamette river.

Meh.

12-27-2004 03:47:08 | More by GreenWBush
WesWes

3.35/5  rDev -11.4%

The beer pours a dark golden/orange color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a fairly malty scent that boasts of pale and carapils malts along with a nice citrus hop aroma that balances well. The taste is decent. It has a very powerful hop flavor that is really bitter and dry. The malts take a back seat in this one. It goes down smooth, but finishes a little too hoppy. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a decent IPA. I wish they would tone down the hops a little. I love hop flavor, but the varieties used deter from the drinkability.

12-26-2004 23:56:25 | More by WesWes
Bighuge

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Quite hazy deep golden tone. Thin white head. Lace is negligible. Nose contains a blend of sweet caramel malts, biscuit and bread and some tropical fruit hop tones in the background. A subtle bitterness underlies the heavyily laden malt, bread, biscuit, caramel tones. This is definitely an IPA that is malt driven. And not that there's anything wrong with that. It tastes good. I just prefer more juicy hop characteristics and a little more bitterness. There's a grainy aspect to it as well. And some grassy hop notes. Mouthfeel is very pleasant. Body is about medium-full. Nice little beer.

12-22-2004 07:04:50 | More by Bighuge
Bitterbill

Wyoming

I bought this one on line because:
1, it's not available here and
2, because of some very strong input I've read about the quality of this IPA.

In a nutshell, this is THE best tasting IPA I've ever tasted. As a result, I could do nothing but give it a perfect 5. I mean, if one cannot find any negative aspects to a beer, why NOT give it a perfect 5 score?

Best regards,
Bill

12-16-2004 21:02:03 | More by Bitterbill
PopeJonPaul

4.53/5  rDev +19.8%

Boy, am I glad they started bottling this. Had heard of it but never tried it. Got to pick up a few at Belmont Station when I was out in Portland, OR recently.

This beer had a seriously grassy\floral nose, like fresh grass clippings, thistle, pine and dandelions. The taste was obviously bitter citrusy hops, but mixed with just enough sweet caramel malt to really take the edge off the finish and leave only a tiny bit of dryness. Really refreshing, well-balanced and smooth, I like IPAs but just going for maximum bitterness doesn't impress me as much as an IPA that's refreshing and smooth while still being strongly bitter, which this one definitely is. I would certainly recommend this beer!

11-30-2004 03:47:05 | More by PopeJonPaul
mattmaples

4.83/5  rDev +27.8%

* I dinginged it for its lack of clarity. It is a tad hazy so I could not give it a 4 on appearance but Damn is this a fine IPA *

I am currently sitting in my backroom printing out orders, answering emails and enjoying a fine fine bottle of Terminal Gravity IPA.

YUUUMMM, You all know what I'm talking about. That hazy copper orange color, tight but not overly large head, floral citrus hop aroma and that light malty / fruity flavor that quickly gets overwhelmed by the wonderfully aggressive hop bitterness.

The day has finally come, TG got themselves a bottling line. Their capacity is still rather small so availablity will be a little spotty. I've got some but I will probably sell out of mine today or tomorrow so get it while the getting's good.

I expect it will be available at the other usual beer spots, how fast they will sell out I don't know.

The boys down at Point Blank have to spread this shipment around but I hope to get a good quantity in soon and am looking forward to getting in some of the other TG beer.

Later

Matt Maples

Liquid Solutions
450 Beers, Wine, Meads and Ciders online.
www.liquidsolutions.biz
503-524-9722

May mead regain it place as the beverage of gods and kings.

11-22-2004 22:43:49 | More by mattmaples