Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Dante's Porter - Battered Boar Brewing Company

Chile Beer |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: russpowell on 10-23-2013

3.53/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dante's Porter was the first beer brewed with chili peppers that I tasted. I have always been a porter fan, and have recently branched out to craft brews. Dante's was a rather spicy beer. The chili accents were very strong. It was a great beer, but I suggest only having one. (275 characters)

3.55/5  rDev n/a
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving Type: Bottle

A - Very black at the core with a rough, almost burnt red, around the edge's of my glass. Beautiful head at the pour, but quickly faded to the faintest of bubble rings, wish it could have lasted longer.

S - First impressions were all roasted barley, after a second, maybe third wiff I began to notice the peppers, and it is now taking over all nose to me.

T - Big roast and coffee right out of the gate, backs up the nose with appropriate roast flavor for aroma. Almost immediately after, the peppers hit, roast takes a back seat again, and on to the heat. The heat isn't over bearing, but if you're not one for spicy items, I would avoid this beer, you might be able to handle it, but I can't imagine you enjoying it.

M - This is just fine, I typically seek out brews that start around the 7-7.5% range and higher, so for this 7% porter, I think they landed it well. If the pepper spiciness wasn't there, I don't know if it could stand on it's own, but it works as-is.

O - I received this in a trade as an extra, really glad I did, but I doubt that I would intentionally seek this one out again. Definitely worth trying, but again, if you're not into that "burn after you swallow" thing, I wouldn't bother at all. I will however seek out to try other brews from these guys. (1,300 characters)

3.54/5  rDev n/a
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A Porter with pepper kick, opened with caution outside ( Had a few gushers from these guys in the past )

Pours an effervescent mahogany with 3 fingers of mocha head. Minimal head retention & lacing. Some head retention & lacing

S: Smokey pepper, roastyness

T: Follows the nose, plenty of heat up front, coffee grounds as well front. Some dark chocolate mixes with pepper fire & then more coffee. Finishes with coffee, dark chocolate, roasty & ancho chiles

MF: Light/medium bodied, slight carbonation

I like the pepper kick on this one, in your face, but not insane. Nice effort from these guys, if you don't like pepper heat stay away from this one (655 characters)

Dante's Porter from Battered Boar Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.