Briarpatch Amber Ale - Battered Boar Brewing Company

Briarpatch Amber AleBriarpatch Amber Ale

Battered Boar Brewing Company visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bump8628 on 09-15-2009)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2.2/5  rDev -28.1%

Wow - it's a lot harder to review a bad beer than a good one. Once again, I wanted to like this beer since it is a semi-local effort. Unfortunately, my opinion is going to mirror the others'. The quick answer is just avoid this one.

Appearance - The beer started out well - looks nice, golden amber. Huge head though even when poured carefully into a pint glass.

Smell - Here is where you get a hint of things to come - a little malt odor but also a vague smell reminiscent of the standard macro-lager funk.

Taste - Echos of the smell. There are some decent flavors lurking in there, but they are weak and emaciated and therefore easily overcome by whatever evil predominates.

Mouthfeel - Nope, not really.

Overall - I finished it, but only by sharing it with my wife who also didn't like it. We tried - we really did....

2.85/5  rDev -6.9%

Rolled the dice on this as part of mixed sixer from Mid-town ( Tulsa ) today, expectations are not high...

Pours amber/caramel with 1+ finger of tan head. Minimal head retention & lacing

S: Orchard fruit, with maybe a tinge of (gulp) infection

T: Caramel with a touch apple peel, dryness & some herbal hops up front. Not sure if this is what they were aiming for but has the same "half-assed pseudo Belgian" character that many of Pete's place (Choc) beers do. This kind of working for now, but not sure what the brewers aim was truly or how old this (no freshness date) is???. The warmer this gets the more I'm thinking infection or old.

Apple juice with a touch grainyness & toffee as this warms. Finishes with apple peel, a bit of brown sugar & grainyness & powdery dryness & touch of booze & dirt, and some diacetyl

MF: Medium bodied & carbonation, really starts to thin out as this warms

Drinks alright, but any more than 2 would have me fearing for my guts in the morning. Usually you hide some flaws in a 7.0 ABV ale unless you are VERY sloppy indifferent to the product being produced. I will try this again in a year or so (if they are still in business), this is 12 ozs of meh...

2.88/5  rDev -5.9%

BBBC's Briarpatch Amber pours up with a moderate carbonation that creates a barely sustainable tannish-white head that persists above the slightly hazy, rusty copper-tawny amber body. Excellent lacing, but the head retention is lacking. The sweet, malt dominated aroma has a moderate-high fruitiness (not much citrus), as well as some earthy & spicy-peppery hop notes but is primarily malt focused with notes of burnt caramel, black strap molasses and sweet sorghum. Just a hint of undesirable chloro-phenolics and a trace of diacetyl. The flavor starts off rather cloying with lots of crystal/caramel malt character that's underscored slighty by a spicy bitterness that carries through to a surprisingly roasty (chocolate malt), rather unbalanced, warming finish. This medium-full bodied Amber Ale seems more like a strong Irish-style Red Ale. Overall, I found this one to be a bit unbalanced, but rather drinkable towards pint's end. Definitely worth a try to support your local brewery. Here's to Br'er Rabbit!

CHEERS! Beertracker

3.75/5  rDev +22.5%

2.63/5  rDev -14.1%

This amber had an easy pour with a half finger of pure white head. The beer itself was a nice clean orange-ish, red. Just that classic amber beer color. There is not a lot on the nose. It does have a simple yet effective malt. I was surprise to find some tartness almost like a Flemish amber. It did have a rubber finish that I didn't like and it lingered on the tongue for a very, very long time.

2.85/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Alright so this was the first brew out of my home state that I ever tried. I was hoping to be amazed.

While pouring the beer, I liked what I saw. Deep amber in color, excellent clarity, but very little lacing... I was looking forward to give it a smell.

And for good reason, because this is easily one of the most aromatic beers I've ever layed nostrils to. I am bombarded by red fruits in the nose, everything from dark cherry to cranberry, envolped in the malt aroma. By this point, i'm really tantalized by the smell and can hardly wait for everything I was taking in to finally touch my lips

The taste...how disappointing. some of the fruits carried over from the smell, it nearly reminds me of a cranberry lambic. This is the only thing it has going for it in the taste, and it made the taste slightly tolerable in the beginning. The 7% alc. isn't very well hidden at all, even behind the tangy sourness.

Other than that, it really lacks the complexity the beer exudes in the nose. I feel like the Briarpatch Ale tries to be something it is not, and unfortunately failed to live up to my expectation.

I'm finding it difficult to finish off the six pack I gave $10 bucks for. It was worth a try if only to support a local brewery, but I should have just gone with a single.

2.7/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Poured a reddish copper color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of sweet malt and some apple fruitiness

T - It smells better than it tastes it has a Belgian fruitiness that doesn't really work for me

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - Well I'm not too sure this beer is worth the price I paid for it as it warms it gets a little harder to drink buy at your own risk

1.93/5  rDev -36.9%

Pours into a pint glass a deep copper color with a thick yeasty haze. Despite a heavy pour, this beer yields only a minimal fizzle of soda-like head that lasts mere seconds.

Aroma is mostly medium to dark crystal malts with caramelized sugars, toffee, and just a hint of breadiness. Quite a few fruity esters also jump out of the glass. Hops go undetected.

Overly sweet crystal malts dominate the taste. Intense caramel and toasty flavors prevail in this beer. Very low hop bitterness and flavor leaves it out of balance and way too sweet. Out of control yeast and some oxidation round out the terrible flavor profile.

In a style that's supposed to be known for its balance and drinkability, this beer doesn't hit the mark. I could barely finish one bottle let alone have another.

Hideous.

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured a hazy, coppery color, with white 2 finger head that quickly dissapated. Aroma = sweet, toasted carmel malts. a hint of bready and toffee flavors, and a touch of fruitiness. Taste, is about the same, carmel sweetness, with toffee and a bit more of the fruitiness shows up, with a big alcohol bite in the finish, this is on the high end for the style. It finishes sweet, with an apple skin taste that lingers a bit. The mouthfeel is just a click under being medium.

Overall, this is not really what I expect from my Amber Ales, although this is a tasty brew, if you gave this to me in a blind test, I might guess it to be a light beligian dubbel, rather than an amber ale. The alcohol is just too big for me to enjoy as an amber, which i normally like to have a few of in a sitting. One and done for me with this one.

4.75/5  rDev +55.2%