Company Man Pale Ale - Battered Boar Brewing Company

Company Man Pale AleCompany Man Pale Ale

Battered Boar Brewing Company visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bump8628 on 09-20-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

4.5/5  rDev +49%

3.33/5  rDev +10.3%

Sampled in a paper cup in a hotel room, but appearance a little hard to glean...Fairly clear, pale amber color. Pours a big off-white head, creamy and with good retention.

Sweet malty aroma, hops (some pine), and a slightly peppery, almost Belgian smell.

Hint of malt flavor, then a very earthy hop flavor. Sharply bitter finish, but not harsh. Hop flavor not very pleasant to me - too earthy and soil like.

Medium body and carbonation. No astringency, but a little bit of warming (fairly well hidden for an 8% ABV beer).

Rough hop character detracts. No major flaws - just didn't like it.

2.85/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours a ruddy copper with huge chunks of sediment floating around. 2.5 fingers of kahki head

S - Lots of citrus and caramel. Alcohol and bready yeast comes out as it warms.

T - Astringent grapefruit is aggressive and bitter. Toffee/caramel malt, hints of berry fruit. The grapefruit dominates throughout. Finishes with some dank mustiness.

M - Heavily carbonated, light to medium foamy body.

I couldn't smell any but I definitely tasted some musty funkiness. It actually wasn't that off-putting though i think due to the aggressive hopping. The ABV is pretty high for the style. This is just a strange brew.

3.48/5  rDev +15.2%

Apparently this is a bad beer, so I'll see for myself I guess...

Poured into a standard pint glass, this brew produces about a two finger thick head, that stays for a decent duration, and the body is ultra cloudy with lots of clumpy yeasties floating around. The body is golden orange in color.

The aroma is very fruity and ester. A bit on the citrusy side.

Taste wise this isn't as bad as I thought it would be. There is a good amount of citrusy hops presence, along with a buttery toffee flavor. I was expecting something a little more sour from all the yeasties.

Feels brisk, lots of carbonation, and no warmth from this being an 8% ABV sized brew. Makes me kind of wonder if the ABV listed here is accurate...

2.63/5  rDev -12.9%

As soon as I started to pour this beer I realized this beer has way to much carbonation which seems to be a continuous problem with this brewery. It even starts to foam out of the half full bottle while I'm waiting to pour the rest into my pint glass. The color is a nice clear copper. The head is a light dirty blonde tan. The nose is very floral with hints of a tart apple. A lot of tart sour hops hit the tongue first. The flavor isn't bad there is just not a lot of balance between the nose and tongue. Another common thing I've noticed about the battered boar beers is a lingering soapy finish?

3.28/5  rDev +8.6%

The top damn near flew off when I popped it, and then it was a never ending battle controlling the oozing foam. Needless to say the head was massive after a cautious pour. The retention was superb and reminded me of root beer float foam. The color was a rather flat very cloudy caramel. Several floaties emerged towards the bottom of the bottle.

The nose blended several styles. Clove and yeast nearly dominated the citrus hop bill and toasty sweet malt backbone.

The flavor was tart for the most part, grapefruit played the largest role. Sweetness and yeast flavor were evident from start to finish. 8% ABV could have fooled me, it's hidden quite well.

The body was on the light side. Seemed a bit watery, the carbonation was mild and aided only a slight bit. Not sure what to think about this one.... interesting.

We tried this beer when it first came out, as we like to support our local breweries. Luckily I only got one bottle as half of it was thrown out, and two of us were drinking it.

So we thought we would give it a shot now. I will say that it is still over carbonated, cloudy with chunks, unbalanced, off color, and had a watery mouth feel. There has not been any change since our first attempt (about a year).

At least you tried to brew a Pale Ale, which we find to be one of the toughest beers to brew well. It takes a lot to get it all right. We hope you make adjustments!

Down but not out,

The VBC

1.53/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: This beer set a daring, new precedent for overall gush time. Many a noble paper towel was sacrificed in the clean-up effort. Minutes later, a highly hazed, dark amber body with a tall, off-white head was poured from the remaining beer that didn't end up on the table, the floor, and my formerly nice, clean pants.

Smell: Smells like a Brett-dosed pale ale, with notes of pale malts, bread, light caramel, haunted house cobwebs, antiseptic, and soiled hotel linens.

Taste: Same. You know, maybe they could put a positive spin on this and take things the Jolly Pumpkin route. Just a thought.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Nothing but endless fizz and foam on the carbonation side.

Drinkability: Ugh. I've been told "Safety is Job One," but maybe these Company Men need to focus a little bit more on quality assurance. Let this serve as a warning to future consumers as well as a stern, furrowed brow "ahem" to the folks at Battered Boar.

1.5/5  rDev -50.3%

A friend of mine brought this back on a recent trip to OKC. Was really looking forward to a nice DIPA. The huge head tipped me off and my first taste confirmed that this beer was infected. As a homebrewer, I'm sure to sample every beer I brew before I give it to a friend. A little QC goes a long way.

2.95/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a clear dark amber, with a super creamy, off-white tan head. So far so good. On to the smell.... Something of a Belgian yeast strain, except not really. A lot more plastic smell. Not extremely powerful of an aroma though. Taste is average, Biscuity malts up front, dry medicinal middle with a herbal, leathery finish. Hints of buttered popcorn in the aftertaste. Very surprised that this is 8.00% ABV, I would not have been able to tell by the taste, or body, it hides its alcohol well. Mouthfeel is average, medium carbonation. Average drinkability, this beer seems to be doing its own thing, not adhering to a style, which is fine, but IMO it doesn't taste that great. I would drink it again, but I don't think I would buy it. I would like to try their other offerings though.

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

Thanks to Americanbrew for sharing this beer.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is citrus hops and bready malt. The flavor is orange citrus hops with a nice backbone of bready and biscuit malts to keep the beer from being too bitter. High carbonation and medium mouthfeel. Nothing is wrong with this beer, but there is nothing too exciting about it either.

2.88/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours amber with a finger of cream colored head. Above average lacing & head retention

S: Some pineyness & grapefruit, plus some phenolic notes, uh oh...

T: A touch of grapefruit, astringency, orchard fruit & caramel sweetness up front. Fruittyness, grapefruit & phenolic notes mix as this warms. Finishes with grapefruit hops & slight dryness, & cidery infection flavor. This could've been a good AIPA if the beer was infected

MF: Medium bodied, light carbonation, turns watery as this warms, skews fruitty

Drinks okay, really hard to believe this has 8.0% ABV. In all honesty I think my first batch of home brewed IPA was a good as this. I will steer clear of these guys until I hear better reports about these guys

3.03/5  rDev +0.3%

An almost unmanageable head covers a hazy amber brew, and never completely dies away, leaving a thick lace all around the glass. A one-finger layer resides above the brew. I don't think I've ever seen that much froth stick around as covering. Smells of big caramel malts and a very slight undercurrent of hops. Tastes of subdued hops followed by a quick twang of citrus and them some more caramel malts. A little chalkiness exists in the aftertaste. About halfway through, the beer becomes a little bland, but it's not a big problem finishing one off. I'm going out on a limb here and say that this one might be a good start for a DIPA with a few changes here and there. Overall, not real big on this one, but will like to see what's next from these guys.

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a dark amber-copper color, and is much darker than I would expect an APA to be, with a 3 finger white head. Aroma is pretty sweet, caramel malts, with some grassy hops smell, and Im also smelling the alcohol more then I want to. Taste, is pretty much alcohol forward, and finishing pretty sweet, again with an alcohol bite in the back of my throat. But underneath all of that I can detect some citrus hops, and maybe a little bit of fruity esters like apple peel maybe.

Overall, at 8% abv, I would call this an IPA. But the hops are not amped up enough to be labeled as such. Really too sweet and and too much alcohol bite for me. But this at least shows promise, and as this is from the first batch produced, I expected that there might need to be some tweeking of the recipes before its all said and done. I won't give up hope for this brewery, I think with some more time under there belt and getting use to the new equipment, they will knock out some quality brews.

2.88/5  rDev -4.6%

BBBC's Company Man Pale Ale pours up with a modest effervescence that creates a solid tannish-white head that crowns the hazy orangish copper-tawny amber body. Good lacing, but the head retention is a bit lacking. The grassy, slightly earthy aroma definitely shows some resiny late kettle hopage, but the fruity esters (apple, pear, melon) nearly overwhelms the underlying maltiness. Unfortunately, this example also has some undesirable chloro-phenolics with some fusel almost solventy higher alcohols from a warm fermentation. The flavor starts off sweet with a lot of crystal/caramel malt character with a complimentary bready toastiness that dominates through the cloying finish which is barely underscored by a modest bitterness that delivers a rather unpleasant & overly fruity, warming finish. This rich, full-bodied beer is definitely not an APA (as billed), but drinks more like an DIPA or Stock Ale that lacks hop focus. Overall, I found this one to be not unlike a good homebrew, but a mixed bag altogether with its immature & unbalanced character combined with a number of undesirables. However, I see a lot of potential with its complexity and pleasant untangibles. I'm +pos that this one will continue to develop & become more approachable, as these new comers tweak & develop their recipe and brewing process. Company Man Pale Ale is definitely worth trying and I'll certainly revisit a sixer down the road. Support your local brewery!

CHEERS! Beertracker