Coconut Cream Stout - Battered Boar Brewing Company

Coconut Cream StoutCoconut Cream Stout

Battered Boar Brewing Company visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bump8628 on 01-30-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by scarfield:
scarfield

Nebraska

2.58/5  rDev -24.6%

I find myself wanting to give this beer the benefit of the doubt. I purchased this beer when I was in Oklahoma in April, I've had a few before, but haven't rated it yet, finding myself underwhelmed. I've let this one set out a bit to bring the temperature up as per the directions on the bottle. To me the idea of a Coconut Cream Stout sounds like a great idea, but I'm wondering if this is the one I've been looking for.

Appearance - Pours dark brown with a huge promising head that disappears as soon as I blink. I'm left with a glass of dark brown liquid with a ring of bubbles clinging hopefully to the side of the glass. This beer has a lot of sediment in it which falls to the bottom, and although sediment is many beers is common, one can usually leave it out of the glass if poured correctly, however it seems hard to keep this out. 3.0

Smell - Sour burnt dark chocolate and a bit of toasted coconut. Like a Samoa cookie tossed in a frying pan and forgotten about, but with a sourness added to the mix. 4.0

Taste - Roasted malt, and very bitter chocolate. I get a lot of sourness too in the taste, and I cannot tell where it comes from. In the aftertaste i get more sourness and dark chocolate. 2.0

Mouthfeel - The first half of the beer goes down pretty easily, is smooth and leaves a decent aftertaste. Further down I feel like I'm struggling to drink this beer, and perhaps alot of this is due to seeing the sediment waiting for me. 2.5

Drinkability - I feel like I've struggled through several of these beers, even dumping a few out half drank, and that is definitely troubling to me.

It is a beer that if I just drink it I can get through most of it without trouble, but if I think about it I can hardly get through half a glass. The different parts trying to come together fight against each other the result is less than the sum of its parts. I think this is style of beer that has promise, but needs a major renovation in order for me to try it again. Perhaps the issue is that, at 7.0 ABV there is too much alcohol that the relatively weak coconut is trying to hide. I eagerly await Coconut Cream Stout 2.0
Overall 2.0
Original Review score 2.5/5
***EDIT***
Trying this again due to seeing that this beer was potentially infected
App- Dark Brown, red tones, with no head, no lacing 2.0
Smell- See Above, less present coconut smell leads me to downgrade to 3.0
Taste- Sweet, artificial tasting coconut flavor, I feel that the bitterness and roasted characters I'd expect/have noted earlier have become more subdued, which I feel is a negative, but when they are there they are pleasant. There is still a sourness/metallic tinge to it. 2.5
MF- Thin, watery even. Unremarkable. 2.5
Overall I feel like this beer needs to do some more work with it's roasted malts, as that is where the better parts of the flavor come from. The coconut/vanilla seem too overbearing. in the taste, and to not come through enough in the aroma. 2.5

11-02-2012 00:11:31 | More by scarfield
tohe9384

09-11-2012 23:34:06 | More by tohe9384
Mora2000

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brown color with brownish-red highlights and a tan head. The aroma is roasted malt with some chocolate malt notes. The flavor is chocolate malt, burnt malt, smoke and some coconut. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A nice stout and the best beer I have had from this brewery.

07-29-2010 04:54:20 | More by Mora2000
unclemorgan

1.35/5  rDev -60.5%

Dark brown pour with hints of red, and creamy swirls that quickly disappeared. The beer had absolutely no head and zero lacing. Some residual coconut floating on top and some sank to the bottom of the glass.

Had a very thin, super carbonated fee.

Smelled of tomato, and some hints of vanilla sweetness. Very acidic after taste.

I could not finish this beer. Very disappointed.

**It has come to my attention that the beer may have been become infected in the bottle**

03-17-2011 02:11:14 | More by unclemorgan
chinchill

South Carolina

04-29-2014 00:42:51 | More by chinchill
russpowell

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours mahogany with 2 fingers of fast falling mocha colored head. No head retention or lacing

S: Coffee, vanilla & cocoa, stays strong throughout

T: Coffee, vanilla & a hint of toasted coconut, plus slight woody hoppyness up front. Coffee, a touch of vanilla coke, dryness & roastyness as this warms, some slight raisin & cherry notes as well. Finishes slightly roasty with coffee notes & a touch of mocha & slight smokeyness. On the verge of a 4.0

MF: Awfully light bodied for a 7.0 ABV beer, smoothly carbonated

This is a pretty nice offering, not as good as some other coconut beers I've tried, but I would buy this again if in the mood for a mocha tasting stout

05-02-2011 00:45:54 | More by russpowell

Tennessee

07-03-2013 23:15:16 | More by dasunder
claybeer

3.25/5  rDev -5%

An absolute perfect pour. It is a jet black beer with just enough light shine through to make a dirty brownish red. The head was a perfect two fingers thick but it disappeared to quickly to really enjoy. Some soft coffee notes and just a touch of chocolate sweetness through the nose. More coffee and some bitterness races across the tongue and contrast the nose well. The finish linger for some time, however, it is really soft. Best beer I have had from this brewery so far.

02-10-2011 22:19:11 | More by claybeer
ThickNStout

Georgia

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%

22oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 7.99. No bottling date. Served in a goblet.

Gushes apon opening. Pours a deep cola brown with three fingers of tan head that fades amazingly fast. A thin halo of bubbles around the edge lingers as the brew continues fizzing throughout but leaves absolutely no lace.

True to the description I detect a rather pleasant toasted coconut and mild vanilla aroma. Also notes of cocoa, dark malt roastiness, faint dark fruit and a strange cola scent. Sweet overall and strangely appealing.

Interesting blend of flavors. Cocoa, toasted coconut, toast, mild roasty malt, subtle-but present vanilla, vague molasses, traces of tart (but far from overly-so) dark fruit and a little brown sugar. No alcohol detected. A pretty nice blend actually.

The body is thin and fizzy like a soda. The carbonation is active but this doesn't feel like beer on the palate at all. Toasted coconut, chocolate and semi-burnt malts linger for a drawn out finish.

I'm quite surprised here. My expectations were tempered by it's tepid reception in the reviews and the shoddy bottle/label presentation (seriously one of the worst labels I've ever seen) but I had to try it based on it's adjunct additions. The aroma and blend of flavors was actually quite nice. The appearance leaves a bit to be desired but ultimately it's the body that is a turn-off. Beer should not feel like a Coke going down. I'd probably revisit this one (possibly regularly) at a $3-5 price point but it doesn't have enough in it's corner to justify a repeat at $8.

04-29-2014 23:10:20 | More by ThickNStout

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

05-30-2012 23:18:18 | More by crobinso
jmbranum

4.63/5  rDev +35.4%

One of the best Oklahoma beers I've ever had.

Inky dark brew with a slight head. Aroma pulls you in, and the flavor whammies you hard. Exquisitely good. Lots of dark chocolate, coffee with a little bit of vanilla bean. There might be a tiny bit of coconut, but it is not the dominant element. Wonderful toasted bitterness that has the perfect counter-point to the richness. Pleasant aftertaste lingers on the palate.

Velvety smooth texture on the tongue. Gloriously good.

I will be drinking this more. It is SO good!

02-05-2010 08:21:44 | More by jmbranum

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

12-27-2012 22:47:42 | More by raffy313
BeerHunter76

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%

I didn't expect much from this small Oklahoma brewery and let me tell you I was far from disappointed. It poured a deep black with a very thin tan head into a snifter. The nose is very sweet, and it has a lot of vanilla coming off of it. The first sip is what a cream stout should be. Creamy, sweet, loads of vanilla, and sugar that was almost like a creme brulee. The coconut was muted, and had more of a toasted taste to it. The finish is smooth, sweet, and very easy going down. Like I said I was not expecting much, but got a lot in return.

05-22-2012 02:13:51 | More by BeerHunter76

07-27-2012 17:03:30 | More by Shasty
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.23/5  rDev -5.6%

Picked up this beer in Tulsa- tried to drink some locals when I was there. This is okay- you do get some coconut notes in the beer, and I've always been a fan of that flavor in a stout or porter. The problem is that it's a bit thin, both in flavor and body. There is a also slightly sour and dusty notes as well which detract from the coconut notes. There is a hint of toasted coconut on the mid palate which is nice. The aroma has a bit of bubblegum which also is a distraction. Off balance a bit. Keep trying here- when done right this a great combination.

03-02-2014 00:22:25 | More by Georgiabeer
Exiled

07-17-2012 04:45:45 | More by Exiled
wrightst

Maryland

06-08-2014 13:56:47 | More by wrightst
wolfinthemirror

3.93/5  rDev +14.9%

First thing i notice when pouring this beer is the fizz of the head. It just looks and sounds more like soda pop than it does beer! the head completely disappears after only seconds of being poured. The color is fairly dark and ruby brown around the edges. i can see through it when held to the light.

mmmm, a lot going on in the smell. Dark roast coffee/expresso smell, seems deep and rich.

I get a lot of toasted malt, a sort of burnt smokeiness, and not much else. finishes very dry. I don't taste any coconut until the back end and i think i can pick out what tastes like coconut milk, very faintly.

highly carbonated, medium full, not much texture to it. I get some kind of creamy smoothness though a lot like coconut milk, interesting.

This goes down really easy like a typical American stout. Not really anything special, however.

10-02-2010 03:17:48 | More by wolfinthemirror