Coconut Cream Stout - Battered Boar Brewing Company

Coconut Cream StoutCoconut Cream Stout

Battered Boar Brewing Company visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bump8628 on 01-30-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
1.35/5  rDev -59.5%

Dark brown pour with hints of red, and creamy swirls that quickly disappeared. The beer had absolutely no head and zero lacing. Some residual coconut floating on top and some sank to the bottom of the glass.

Had a very thin, super carbonated fee.

Smelled of tomato, and some hints of vanilla sweetness. Very acidic after taste.

I could not finish this beer. Very disappointed.

**It has come to my attention that the beer may have been become infected in the bottle**

2.18/5  rDev -34.5%

From bomber bottles on two occasions. Should have been three but one bomber bottle stored in my cool cellar exploded after several weeks, leaving a widespread sticky mess. The second bottle gushed like crazy, making a mess even though I was cautious and, I thought, prepared. The taste seems to confirm that this is a contaminated batch.
Much better when fresh but still recommend AVOID!

2.38/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured into a pint glass this dark brown, bordering on black, stout produces a puny, fizzly, soda-like head, which leaves absolutely no evidence behind as it disappears.

Light roast on the nose with some yeasty fruitiness and a faint solvent character.

The taste is amped up a notch from what the aroma indicated. Roasted with a definite chocolate note and a background of coffee and light smoke. Not getting much in the way of the vanilla or coconut, but then again this may not be an entirely bad thing, and I've never had a beer with coconut so I'm not even sure I know what flavor profile to look for. The fruitiness from the yeast isn't far behind the roast and neither is that solventy character.

Well, this may be the best one that Battered Boar has released so far. I'm not sure whether they have cleaned up some of the off-flavors I've encountered before or whether the dark malts are just masking them better. Either way, they seem to be much less prominent in the Coconut Cream Stout.

Poor effort.

2.58/5  rDev -22.5%

I find myself wanting to give this beer the benefit of the doubt. I purchased this beer when I was in Oklahoma in April, I've had a few before, but haven't rated it yet, finding myself underwhelmed. I've let this one set out a bit to bring the temperature up as per the directions on the bottle. To me the idea of a Coconut Cream Stout sounds like a great idea, but I'm wondering if this is the one I've been looking for.

Appearance - Pours dark brown with a huge promising head that disappears as soon as I blink. I'm left with a glass of dark brown liquid with a ring of bubbles clinging hopefully to the side of the glass. This beer has a lot of sediment in it which falls to the bottom, and although sediment is many beers is common, one can usually leave it out of the glass if poured correctly, however it seems hard to keep this out. 3.0

Smell - Sour burnt dark chocolate and a bit of toasted coconut. Like a Samoa cookie tossed in a frying pan and forgotten about, but with a sourness added to the mix. 4.0

Taste - Roasted malt, and very bitter chocolate. I get a lot of sourness too in the taste, and I cannot tell where it comes from. In the aftertaste i get more sourness and dark chocolate. 2.0

Mouthfeel - The first half of the beer goes down pretty easily, is smooth and leaves a decent aftertaste. Further down I feel like I'm struggling to drink this beer, and perhaps alot of this is due to seeing the sediment waiting for me. 2.5

Drinkability - I feel like I've struggled through several of these beers, even dumping a few out half drank, and that is definitely troubling to me.

It is a beer that if I just drink it I can get through most of it without trouble, but if I think about it I can hardly get through half a glass. The different parts trying to come together fight against each other the result is less than the sum of its parts. I think this is style of beer that has promise, but needs a major renovation in order for me to try it again. Perhaps the issue is that, at 7.0 ABV there is too much alcohol that the relatively weak coconut is trying to hide. I eagerly await Coconut Cream Stout 2.0
Overall 2.0
Original Review score 2.5/5
***EDIT***
Trying this again due to seeing that this beer was potentially infected
App- Dark Brown, red tones, with no head, no lacing 2.0
Smell- See Above, less present coconut smell leads me to downgrade to 3.0
Taste- Sweet, artificial tasting coconut flavor, I feel that the bitterness and roasted characters I'd expect/have noted earlier have become more subdued, which I feel is a negative, but when they are there they are pleasant. There is still a sourness/metallic tinge to it. 2.5
MF- Thin, watery even. Unremarkable. 2.5
Overall I feel like this beer needs to do some more work with it's roasted malts, as that is where the better parts of the flavor come from. The coconut/vanilla seem too overbearing. in the taste, and to not come through enough in the aroma. 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -21.9%

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

2.95/5  rDev -11.4%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

This pours a nice, deep, shade of brown. It has some quite nice ruby highlights which are visible when backlit. It forms a massive head, which causes me to have to pour this beer into the glass in four different 'sessions'. The head recedes away to nothing though, very quickly. Lacing is minimal and very slick.

Lots of roasted malt notes shine through. Good hints of dark chocolates and coffees. Very mild traces of fresh coconut can be found, if you look for it.

The taste follows the nose, pretty much 'to the letter'. Sadly.

This is barely medium-bodied. It is heavily carbonated. Not a really good combo, for the style.

It's decently drinkable, but it tastes nothing like you'd expect it to taste from the name/style. That knocks its points down.
___

I just bought this 4-pk a couple of nights ago. There is no date on this bottle or package. I wish I knew when this was bottled. I tried to check the website, but it's just a 'splashpage' right now saying that their new website is coming July, 2010. It's now a couple of weeks into September...
I looked back at the reviews here, the first one is from back in January. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and presume that this is at least that old. I'll watch for it again over the next few months, to re-review.

3.23/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Picked up this beer in Tulsa- tried to drink some locals when I was there. This is okay- you do get some coconut notes in the beer, and I've always been a fan of that flavor in a stout or porter. The problem is that it's a bit thin, both in flavor and body. There is a also slightly sour and dusty notes as well which detract from the coconut notes. There is a hint of toasted coconut on the mid palate which is nice. The aroma has a bit of bubblegum which also is a distraction. Off balance a bit. Keep trying here- when done right this a great combination.

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

An absolute perfect pour. It is a jet black beer with just enough light shine through to make a dirty brownish red. The head was a perfect two fingers thick but it disappeared to quickly to really enjoy. Some soft coffee notes and just a touch of chocolate sweetness through the nose. More coffee and some bitterness races across the tongue and contrast the nose well. The finish linger for some time, however, it is really soft. Best beer I have had from this brewery so far.

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 7.99. No bottling date. Served in a goblet.

Gushes apon opening. Pours a deep cola brown with three fingers of tan head that fades amazingly fast. A thin halo of bubbles around the edge lingers as the brew continues fizzing throughout but leaves absolutely no lace.

True to the description I detect a rather pleasant toasted coconut and mild vanilla aroma. Also notes of cocoa, dark malt roastiness, faint dark fruit and a strange cola scent. Sweet overall and strangely appealing.

Interesting blend of flavors. Cocoa, toasted coconut, toast, mild roasty malt, subtle-but present vanilla, vague molasses, traces of tart (but far from overly-so) dark fruit and a little brown sugar. No alcohol detected. A pretty nice blend actually.

The body is thin and fizzy like a soda. The carbonation is active but this doesn't feel like beer on the palate at all. Toasted coconut, chocolate and semi-burnt malts linger for a drawn out finish.

I'm quite surprised here. My expectations were tempered by it's tepid reception in the reviews and the shoddy bottle/label presentation (seriously one of the worst labels I've ever seen) but I had to try it based on it's adjunct additions. The aroma and blend of flavors was actually quite nice. The appearance leaves a bit to be desired but ultimately it's the body that is a turn-off. Beer should not feel like a Coke going down. I'd probably revisit this one (possibly regularly) at a $3-5 price point but it doesn't have enough in it's corner to justify a repeat at $8.

3.48/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours mahogany with 2 fingers of fast falling mocha colored head. No head retention or lacing

S: Coffee, vanilla & cocoa, stays strong throughout

T: Coffee, vanilla & a hint of toasted coconut, plus slight woody hoppyness up front. Coffee, a touch of vanilla coke, dryness & roastyness as this warms, some slight raisin & cherry notes as well. Finishes slightly roasty with coffee notes & a touch of mocha & slight smokeyness. On the verge of a 4.0

MF: Awfully light bodied for a 7.0 ABV beer, smoothly carbonated

This is a pretty nice offering, not as good as some other coconut beers I've tried, but I would buy this again if in the mood for a mocha tasting stout

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

3.53/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured black with ruby highlights around the edges, with 2 finger light tan head.

Aroma has a slight chocolate smell, roasted barley, and a bit of an earthy smell that I am going to say is actually the coconut.

Taste is really good with the roasted barley and decent amount of sweetness with the coconut playing a supporting role, but I don't think that I would have ever picked it out blindly, but it adds to the sweetness. Also getting chocolate and coffee flavors.

Mouthfeel is decent, it might be a little thinner than I would expect, but it actually has a nice smoothness that I really like.

Overall, this is a pretty good beer, I was a little hesitant after have some of their other offerings and thinking they came on a little to strong, but i was surprised with this one. The biggest turn off for me is the price, everything seems to be a bit pricier than I would expect from a local brewery.

3.6/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I didn't expect much from this small Oklahoma brewery and let me tell you I was far from disappointed. It poured a deep black with a very thin tan head into a snifter. The nose is very sweet, and it has a lot of vanilla coming off of it. The first sip is what a cream stout should be. Creamy, sweet, loads of vanilla, and sugar that was almost like a creme brulee. The coconut was muted, and had more of a toasted taste to it. The finish is smooth, sweet, and very easy going down. Like I said I was not expecting much, but got a lot in return.

3.68/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brown color with brownish-red highlights and a tan head. The aroma is roasted malt with some chocolate malt notes. The flavor is chocolate malt, burnt malt, smoke and some coconut. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A nice stout and the best beer I have had from this brewery.

3.7/5  rDev +11.1%

Not much of a stout fan, but I like coconut and like to try brews from young breweries. So it caught my eye on a trip to Oklahoma and the mandatory side trip to Byron's Liquor Warehouse in Oklahoma City.

Poured into a 20th anniversary Sam Adams pint glass at the appropriate temperature gave a dark brown color and a nice head with good retention and lacing. Smell was toasted malts and a hint of mesquite. Taste was balanced with a delicious creamy and smooth feel. Definitely a drinkable beer on occasion, but not for a session or everyday. I would recommend this brew to folks who enjoy stouts and porters.

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%