Beta #6 - Brasseurs Illimités

Beta #6Beta #6

Brasseurs Illimités visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Kölsch |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: eat on 11-14-2011)
Reviews by Molson2000:
4.25/5  rDev +32.4%

2.95/5  rDev -8.1%

I had no clue what style to enter this as; it reminded me most of a strong kolsch so I'll go with that. Clear honey-coloured body with a thin cover of white head. Some lacing. Looks pretty average.

Lots of yeast on the nose, grain (wheat?), sweet fruity malt and earthy (possibly noble) hops. Smells like a strong European lager, nothing special.

This bottle is quite mysterious; is this a lager or an ale? Maybe a strong lagered ale? The extra alcohol is noticeable; while not unpleasant it does seem a bit gratuitous as part of a fairly plain-tasting beer. Hops are earthy and a little peppery, though subtle overall. Malt is generically fruity (esters?) and a bit too sweet; I'd prefer either less sweetness or more bitterness (or both). I think I'd also prefer this one with an average ABV, 4.5-5.5% or so, instead of up around 9% (which doesn't seem to make sense here).

Some qualities about this beer seem to suggest it's a lager but the mouthfeel is more like that of an ale. Medium bodied, slightly creamy even. Low carbonation. Similar to what you would find with a kolsch I guess but I've never seen one at 8.7% ABV.

I'm not sure I get what Brasseurs Illimites is going for here, I'd sure be curious to have the concept explained to me but the bottle doesn't offer up much other than to say that it's "research and development". It's supposed to be an experimental beer but comes off mostly as a boozy quasi-macro lager. If they're looking for suggestions the first one that would come to mind is to start over. I don't get it.

3.73/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a hazy golden color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of lightly sweet malt based with light bread notes and some floral hops notes. Taste is also dominated by lightly sweet notes with floral hops and bready yeast notes. Body is full with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Not sure exactly what I am tasting here but it is enjoyable enough.

2.75/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 341ml. bottle.

Appearance: A light orange body with a generous head that dissipates to about 1 finger. Lots of lacing and constant tiny bubbles racing up.

Smell: Cereal, honey and a whiff of strong alcohol.

Taste: A touch of malt liquor mixed with Molson Dry with some cereal thrown in. Alcohol burn in the flavor. Thankfully the flavor gets a bit better as it warms with a honey nut Cheerios flavor. The only problem is there is still an underlying mild chemical sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation, a bit abrasive at first but calms down as it warms.

Overall: I didn't appreciate this one too much. Though it gets slightly better as it nears room temp, the initial impression of a high ABV hybrid of macro/craft sticks in my mind and makes this a fail IMO.

3.5/5  rDev +9%

341ml Bottle

Appearance – Clear copper colour with an average size fizzy off white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation visible and there is a good amount of lacing. The head lasted for 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, bananas, grains, raisins, yeast, butterscotch/caramel

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, banana, and raisins. There is also a caramel/butterscotch sweetness and some spice - perhaps cloves. It ends with a malty slightly sweet dark fruit aftertaste.

Overall – This is definitely not a kolsch. To me it's more of a Dubbel, and it's actually surprisingly not too bad. The alcohol was well hidden and I enjoyed it even more as it approached room temperature. I'd say this is working checking out.

2.75/5  rDev -14.3%

3.75/5  rDev +16.8%

I picked this bottle up at a local bottle shop in Canada just because the bottle looked cool. I can't read a single thing on it.

A - Pours a dark amber honey color with a small head that retains a good lacing.

S - I get sweet bread and some floral hops. But I have to agree with the honey nut Cheerio smell.

T - Much as the same as the smell. Some bready notes with Honey Nut Cheerios. I can't reaaly taste the booze and this feels and tastes mush more like a barleywine to me.

M - Pretty thick with mild carbonation that sticks in the mouth.

O - Overall, its not bad, not great, but different. I kind of like it. Too bad I only have 1 bottle.

Beta #6 from Brasseurs Illimités
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.