Simple Malt Série Limitée - S - Brasseurs Illimités

good

Brasseurs Illimités visit their website
Quebec, Canada

English Strong Ale |  11.90% ABV

(Beer added by: papat444 on 12-14-2011)
Reviews by Krakpoff:
3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Krakpoff, Jun 25, 2013
3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

500 ml. from St. Hubert. Sour fruit, overall not too sour because of the malting, also smoke and peat but interesting. Lacey, with a spore looking head on a brown body. A strong brown meets a scotch meets a fruit beer. Fruit in the finish: cherries, dates, caramel. Fairly full bodied.

Sammy, Jun 26, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Bottle: Poured a deep copper color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of dry fruits and residual sugar is interesting though not as sweet as expected. Taste is also a nice mix between some dry fruits, with light residual sugar and some dry port wine notes. Body is about average with medium carbonation. This is a good sipper though not something I would drink everyday. Not as sweet as expected and no apparent alcohol.

Phyl21ca, Mar 17, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

unibroue4ever, Jan 23, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

2nd time this is brewed. First time was in 2005 under the Bieropholie banner.

Poured from a 500ml swingtop.

Appearance: A totally opaque brown body but when held to the light, blood red tints show up. 1-2 fingers worth of light tan head.

Smell: Raisins, dark fruit and leather.

Taste: Like the aroma, raisins and assorted dried fruit as well as dates, port-like wood, earthy and light licorice. A jam-like flavor as well.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation low to medium, a tad high for my liking. No real heat from the ABV and a bit viscous but not too much.

Overall: I liked it but not top-tier. I don't know why but this didn't completely do it for me. Best at room temp for sure but lacks a little punch for me.

papat444, Dec 14, 2011

Bottle shared by Sammy, 500ml swingtop.

Dark brown, almost black with a tan head. Good retention and lacing. Nose has some smoke, peat, sweet (almost like a doppelbock?), sweet bready malt and a light tart note. Tastes of peat, a bit of car tire/rubber, sweet malt and lightly metallic. Fruity notes and some smoke in the finish perhaps. Tartness as well. Thick and full feel, alcohol is present but not to the strength indicated. Complex and curious - don't really think this is an English Strong Ale, but isn't as bad as some have suggested.

liamt07, Jul 04, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -27.6%

Bought 2 of these at a well known Gatinau bottle shop, as it was reccomended to me by the owner. Im not going to do a lengthy review as I normally do because I dont like this very much.

A: Zero head or lacing, even with an agressive swirl. It is a nice hue however and would look great otherwise.

S: Smells pleasent at first but dont stick your nose too far in. There are some off things going on in here.

T: Taste starts out ok but middle to finish is quite bad. finsih is like soy-molasses. I wish this bottle were smaller and cheaper.

M: I can't fault the mouthfeel. Its medium bodied with active carbonation and decent dryness.

Overall: Probably a drainpour for me.

uno99, Feb 20, 2012

Melomanemusher, Oct 09, 2012

Whatup14, Apr 17, 2013

oldp0rt, Jan 01, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +8.8%

This is definitely NOT an english strong ale. On the bottle it says it's a strong malt liquor, and this is exactly what it is, some kind of premium micro-brewed malt liquor. So I'm gonna compare it to the only other malt liquor I've tasted (Colt 45).

It has a pretty standard forty taste, really sweet and malty. I'd say the big difference would be in the finish, I tasted some chocolate and/or smoked malt which is way better than the usual dry and kind of bitter finish of Colt 45.

Overall I really liked this brew because I wanted it to be a premium malt liquor and this is what I got, my biggest problem with it would be the price. I paid 10$ for a 500ml (17 oz) bottle, that is definitely a ripoff, for the same price I could get two 750 ml (25 oz) Unibroue bottles with almost same ABV. If it was sold at the same price as a forty, I'd buy it again, a lot.

VbolieuV, Apr 13, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -23.9%

A: Dark brown color with a nice red hue to it. But that's about it for the good points. It's a bit hazy, doesn't hold its mocha head at all, no lacing.

S: Quite pleasant actually, nice brown sugar notes, cake and toffee all accompanied by some strong notes of raisins, plums and figs. Like a fruitier Strong Ale.

T: It has everything that was present in the smell: brown sugar, cake, plums, raisins, figs and toffee. The problem is that there is wayy too much of the acidity coming from the fruits and it totally kills the point of this beer. Also, the lack of hops is very evident and there is that cheap malt liquor taste to it.

M: Medium to heavy with a surprisingly strong carbonation. Very sticky.

O: I can't believe they released this beer as a "premium" product. This is such a let down again (Or) from this brewery that does good products but these are very meh. At this price, stay far far away.

flipper2gv, Feb 13, 2012

500ml pop top poured into tulip 2/5/12 bottle sent out by unibroue4ever

A dark reddish brown with a two finger tan foam that hangs around for a couple minuets and leaves some polka dot lace

S candied cherry, dried fruit, leather, a little coco, interesting smell with no booze and some caramels and a little nutty but fruity at the same time

T not far from the smell really more nutty toffee and everything else is still there in one form or another, a little sweet and I have no idea where the 11.9% is hiding, impressive really that much booze is so well hidden

M full bodied, with just enough carbonation to give it some life, no heat and a little sticky on the lips with lingering nutty caramel fruit bar on the finish

O looks like I'm waaaay above the rating average yet again, I thought this brew was pretty good and I'm not sure why the ratings are so low. a nice mix of fruity caramels and its amazing how well the booze is concealed

another thanks to unibroue4ever for sending me the bottle, I enjoyed it and would drink it again. It's something different and I'm curious to how it would age

wordemupg, May 03, 2012
1.68/5  rDev -52.3%

Bottle into tulip. My brother bought for me in Gatineau under the recommendation of the store clerk. After reading the only reviews on this beer I think he was trying to get rid of them. Let's give it a try.

A- Almost completely opaque brown/black pour.Two finger off white head with decent lacing.

S- Dark stone fruits mostly figs and dates with a touch of cherry. Touch of brown sugar, alcohol and soy sauce... Uh oh...

T- Dark fruits, soy sauce, sweetness that is almost sickly. Alcohol with a dry syrupy finish. Oh my... What a mess this is.

M- Medium bodied, slightly syrupy with decent carbonation.

O- I can't fault anyone with this travesty other than the brewer. Maybe they were trying to achieve something like this. Maybe the store owner hadn't actually tried it. Regardless I got through a couple sips, dry heaved and drain poured...what a waste.

korguy123, Mar 11, 2012