Dry-hopped Stout - Blue Star Brewing Company

Beer added by: glid02 on 04-19-2010

to view more.
Ratings: 1 | Reviews: 1
3.58/5  rDev n/a

Cask at the brewpub. I know the jury's out on whether dry-hopped beers should be separate entries but I feel as though it's worth differentiating.

Pours an opaque very dark brown color with a large-bubbled tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of roasted malts with good amounts of lightly tart fruit - cherries and berries. Almost no hop presence, maybe just a bit of leafiness as it warms. I'm not sure it's supposed to smell quite like this but it actually isn't bad.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Mild roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by mildly tart fruits - cherries mostly - along with hints of raisins. Midway through the sip the beer gains a mineral quality, similar to what I've tasted in oyster stouts. The ending is mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass however I'm not sure about another.

Overall this was an unexpected beer in all facets considering the fact it was dry-hopped. Worth trying if you see it on.

to view more.
Dry-hopped Stout from Blue Star Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.