Annie's Amber Ale - High Noon Saloon & Brewery

High Noon Saloon & Brewery visit their website
Kansas, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 10-15-2002

The first beer produced here, and it’s still a favorite! A smooth, malty amber taste highlighted with caramel notes and just the right amount of hops.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 31 | Reviews: 17

2.29/5  rDev -23.2%

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

3.59/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of sweet malt, hops, caramel malt, hint of alcohol, and a hint of floral. Fits the style of an American Amber / Red Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, caramel malt, hops, hint of yeast, hint of floral, and a hint of earthy malt. Overall, decent beer with the best quality being the body.

2.25/5  rDev -24.5%

3.17/5  rDev +6.4%

I had this on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance- Light amber color with a fingers worth of off-white head. Very little lacing.

Smell- Sweet caramel malt with a touch of hops.

Taste- Caramel malt with a strong hop presence. More hop flavor than I am used to from an amber beer.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and crisp. Decent amount of carbonation.

Overall- I've had better amber ales. This one has too much hop bitterness and not enough of a malt presence for me to enjoy.

2.91/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a bit above the glass gave this beer a medium sized tan head above a rich golden honey colored beer including the fact that it's more opaque than one would think.

Lightly roasted rich caramel malt aroma with just a bit of sourness included within.

The taste still has the caramel malt forefront with different tastes not present in the aroma. Such as an almost burnt taste and feel from the malts and a sourness from the hops that seem to be a light citrus lemony fruit quality lacing in each drink.

A light dry caramelish aftertaste on this medium bodied beer.

A liked the look of this beer from the first beer, but the more a drank the more I liked the look of it and not the taste.

The light burnt quality of the malts kinda wore on me a little, if they had been a more roasted quality I think this could ahve been a real decent amber.

3.75/5  rDev +25.8%

2.4/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Pours an amber orange color. Super sweet on the nose. Caramel malt seems to dominate the backbone. Taste is not good. Sweet ... Overly sweet. Too much carbonation. I still haven't had a decent beer from Kansas. I've had bad experiences with both beers from this brewery.

3.7/5  rDev +24.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light brownish/tan color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of caramel malts, on the sweet side. Taste is malts up front, some hops kicking in, even some notes of citrus. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

3.32/5  rDev +11.4%

A - Poured out of the can, a dark and hazy amber which isn't particularly impressive, a finger of beige head that did stay with the beer.

S - Heavy sweet/toffee/caramel malt in the nose with a slight hint of hops. Slightly above average.

T - The taste fits the aroma perfectly, heavy malt first, a quick zing of hops, and then the malt chases it back down the throat. A solid canned craft beer, but if you need an amber, there are better choices, and if you need a can there are better choices.

M/D - Mouthfeel is good, not too heavy, not too light. (Please don't ban me from BA for my previous sentence). This is a plenty drinkable beer, but there are better amber's to be had.

3.82/5  rDev +28.2%

CAN you believe that the CANQuest achieves # 200 with this beer? It comes from CANsas, Leavenworth to be precise, which is second only to CANada as far as I am concerned. Onward!

My pour resulted in two fingers' worth of foamy ecru head with decent retention. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. Remember, clarity is overrated! Wow, the nose was really hoppy for an amber! Someone's notes mention Columbus and Willamette hops and I CANnot disagree. I did also get a light caramel sweetness underlying the pine scent, but the hops were prevalent on the nose. Mouthfeel was medium with a lots of hops on the palate. It was a pleasant surprise for this self- avowed hophead to get this much hoppiness in an amber and from CANsas, no less, where hops were an afterthought at many places that I visited. Perhaps I need to head back out that way again. Finish had a light caramel sweetness, which I actually might have preferred more of in an amber, but am I going to complain? Heck, no! Decent lacing throughout.

3.41/5  rDev +14.4%

12 oz. can (with one of the more-appealing label designs I've found), poured to a pint. A much-appreciated extra added by travlnlt (thanks, Geoff).

A: Poured a lighter copper-amber until, in the final ounce, a silty sediment escaped the can mouth and darkened/clouded things considerably. Weird, almost like the last yeasty swirl of a hefeweizen... Now the requisite brownish-amber hue and slightly hazed, decent rising carbonation ascends to a thick/creamy ivory head, about 1.5-fingers. Nice lace, hanging in long rippled sheets.

S: Mundane aroma: a light nutty roast, honey/graham cracker, little hop distinction.

T: After the fairly bland aroma, a surprisingly spicy and flavorful punch of green/piney hops with a gritty malt huskiness. Deeper roast - caramel, nuts and cereal grains - with a lively citrus twist. Decent balance, lasting roast bitterness.

M: A bit harsh at first, not so much due to carbonation (which is fairly tame), but to a brasher bitterness and hop tang. Once I move on, there's more of an oily slickness and a clingy citrus that sits heavily on the center-back of my tongue (curl/salivate/repeat).

D: Not a bad little brew...nothing revolutionary, but a good 'everyday' kind of amber ale. Earlier reviews called this a 'starter' amber, which has it's negative connotations...I felt Annie's was a solid choice, flavorful and worth having again. And I like the can, did I mention that? Retro-cowgirl is a plus...

3.1/5  rDev +4%

I would call this a gateway amber ale for those who've never had it. A slight haze in a ruby, light brown pour. Soapy white head, little lacing.
Aroma is sweet, but not too sweet. I've had some ambers that are just loaded with sweet malt and caramel-ness. This is a lighter version and suits me fine. As far as the style goes, though it might miss the bus.
Thin caramel taste, sweet grain and quick hints of pine and hops. Nicely balanced. Easy drinking. Had this when it was 2 degrees outside, probably would have been better if a tad warmer.

1.58/5  rDev -47%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I really wanted to like this beer. Advertised as an English pub style ale, it definitely has the "look" of Newcastle Brown Ale. The taste, however, was unexpectedly bad, especially for the price.

I bought a six pack at Myer's in Topeka on January 2, 2010. After pouring the first one and taking a sample, I begrudgingly, but honestly, told my wife, "I think I made a mistake." The beer, which looked so wonderful, had the smell and taste as if a cigarette had been slipped into an otherwise perfectly good beer, contrary to any attempts at quality control. A kind description would be that the beer had the essence of burnt charcoal.

To be fair, I opened a second beer and it was a poor man's Newcastle. No complaints. Unfortunately, the third was a repeat of the first and I had to pour it out.

The next day, Sunday, I played Russian roulette with the remaining three cans. My choice was . . . unwise. I had to dump another beer. I sampled the remaining two beers on Monday, again reliving the experience associated with beers 1, 3 and 4.

I am not sure if I got an odd or old batch. The tops of the cans were dirty, so perhaps my review is in the minority. I would like to stop by the High Noon Saloon And Brewery to see whether I experienced an aberation, which I hope is the case. Again, one beer was good, but not the lot.

3.06/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz can pours a hazy copper color with a sticky, cream hued cap of nice looking head. Some nice lacing is left behind as it slowly fades.

Nose is fruity with a balanced smell of hops and sweet caramel malts.

Nutty and earthy malts with a slight touch of herbal hoppiness that accentuates the earthy feel of Annie's Amber. Some fruity yeast esters are in the taste, as they were in the nose, but maybe not quite as strong. Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side but the carbonation is adequate. This is a slightly below average amber ale here, but with a few tweaks here and there (lower fruit esters and fuller malt backbone) High Noon could have a pretty decent beer here.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Annie's Amber Ale from High Noon Saloon & Brewery