Sunflower IPA - McMenamins

Sunflower IPASunflower IPA

good

McMenamins visit their website
United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by wombaman:
3.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Went to the grand lodge in forest grove, OR for first time. Go the sampler. This IPA is pretty light compared to most of the IPA's I have tasted but it has an interesting aftertaste. I can't even describe the aftertaste so it's kind of useless to describe. There is a slight hint of cheap beer taste in there somewhere. Other then that just another basic IPA, nothing special. the smell is hoppy with a slight hint of urine. Goes down easy and feels easy on the palate.

wombaman, Mar 06, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

bpfrush, Nov 15, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Sampled at Bagdad Theater in Portland. I think the IPA recipe varies amongst the different McMenamins breweries so I can't say if this should be compared to other IPAs served at other McMs locations. A bright hazy gold with minimal head and lacing. Equally bright citric hoppy aroma. The malts are mellow, smooth, sweet and tasty but certainly do not get in the way of the bold grapefruit hops. The beer is bitter but fortunately not overwhelming. The finish is decidedly sharp and citric but not especially dry. Mouthfeel is a little too fluid and not very exciting. A fine McM beer, not as juicy as some hoppy IPAs go, and not as malty and robust as some of the more imposing examples go. Still it's quite drinkable and likable, and doesn't skimp on hops.

Thrasher, Dec 17, 2003
3.28/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: lightly hazed yellow and golden, kind of reminds me of a hefeweizen in appearance, in some regards. Only a fizzy ring of white foam where the beer and glass meet. Lace was just a ring at the very top

S: light presentation to the senses. Floral, grassy, and fruits of mostly lemons and oranges

T: citrus hops and a very light malt profile. Fruits show up drizzled with caramel and sweets. As far as an IPA this boy is a bit timid and subdued. The dimensions are in the mix but never show a full potential or make their stand. Hops seems stale towards the finish and a faint oiled hop finish on the tongue just seems a bit wry

M: light to mild body and gets a bit foamy just before the swallow. Not a bad drink by any means

D: a little more hops and if the tongue worked a little harder we would be on the way to a great IPA. Otherwise a tricksy showing

Magpie14, Jan 20, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

I visited the Murray and Allen Blvd. location in Beaverton to have lunch. I ordered a Pale Ale and got this instead. I knew from the first sip this was an IPA.
A pale hazy gold with a one finger head. Not many lacings. Aroma was nice and hoppy. Taste was Nice bitter hops with a simple malt sweetness bringing up the rear. Mouthfeel was fine and it finished with a medium dry bitterness. Not a beer I would rush out to buy but it well well with the fish and chips.

Spikester, May 02, 2009

jaydoc, Dec 14, 2013

Mole_Playing_Rough, Nov 24, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -35.7%

DrLipids, Sep 18, 2012

Hopheadjeffery, Aug 13, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +18.6%

Bright yellow gold liquid with a white head (one of the prettiest beers I've seen in some time, reminds me of a gold coin in the sun) Enchanting hoppy aroma.

Flavor is excellent. Long lingering hops with a slight (very slight citrus backbone). Hops are dominant though. A classic Pacific Northwest IPA that is making me a believer.

I highly recommend this to all hopheads.

(enjoyed at McMenamins Six Arms in Seattle)

jmbranum, May 19, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours almost a two finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is maybe just a tiny bit off white and poured so fluffy that it towered over the rim of the glass and spilled a tiny bit, reminded me of those boston lager commercials. Like I said the head is very fluffy and pretty dang creamy too. Mostly all small bubbles. We'll see about lacing, I can't quite tell yet. The body is maybe just a little bit lighter than a standard IPA appearance, but non the less it's pretty close to the norm. The beer is pretty cloudy, just like a good IPA should be. The carbonation looks about medium-high. Visibility is pretty low due to the cloudiness. The head retention is excellent so far, I still have a full finger of head left and it's beer here for almost five minutes. We will see how the lacing goes, but I'm really really liking the look of this beer so far. The smell is very nice as well, very floral and sweet smelling. It has that sweet alcohol smell that a double IPA would have, I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's not too strong, it has enough other aromas to even things out. There is a very nice hop note and a decent malt note as well. A little bit citrusy, but mostly it's all about the floral scent, and the sweet scent. It's a very nice smell, not taking any huge leaps, but it does have more floral aroma than more IPA's I've had. Wow, that's a really good IPA. WOW that's good, it's got a lot of flavors going on, so lets see if I can break it down. It's got a really nice hop character, for sure enough for an IPA, but at the same time it is somewhat easy drinking and maybe even sessionable. I don't really like breweries making a "sessionable" IPA, because they tend to skimp out on flavor and hops, but this beer is very easy drinking and there is PLENTY of taste in it at the same time. It has a very nice malt note in here, very very well balanced with the hops and with the rest of the beer. Then there is the floral flavor, I'm going to go beyond calling it a floral flavor and say that they just strait up brewed this with some kind of flowers, it is called Sunflower IPA after all. It's an amazing addition to this beer, it's not overly sweet like I thought it would be, it's not just a sweetness added, it has some flavors to it as well. It adds an element that most IPA's don't have, and it really balances everything out perfectly. It does a great job of making the hops less rough around the edges and making it an easier drinking beer, while at the same time adding a flowery flavor, and some sweetness that isn't over the top. Some may think that this is a bland IPA, or a weak one, but you can tell if you look close enough that the lack of hops and malts isn't really a lack of them at all, they just take a little bit of a back seat to the flowery taste. This would usually irritate me, but the hops and malts are still totally up in your face, they haven't really gone anywhere, they are just now combined with the flower flavor. It's really an amazing beer, I find myself second guessing myself and thinking that the taste is a little light, an the flowery flavor isn't making up enough for the loss of hops and malts, but they are still there for sure. None the less, it doesn't deserve a 5, because I am skeptical about parts of the beer. I'll give it a solid 4.5 because it's so damn tasty, unique, and well done. The mouthfeel is almost perfect as well. The carbonation is just perfect, medium, not too high at all. The body is just perfect as well, thick, but not too thick, and for sure not watery at all. I guess the only reason I'm not giving this beer a 5 on mouthfeel is because it's maybe not quite as thick as I want it to be, I dunno, it's a really awesome mouthfeel. Like I said before the drinkability on this beer is great, it's not too heavy, it's really tasty, and even though it has a good amount of hops, it remains easy drinking. Overall this is a very surprising beer, because I haven't heard amazing things about McMenamins beer, but this beer is freaking awesome. For sure one of the better IPA's I have ever had, and very unique. What more can I say? Awesome beer!

The appearance turned out to be fantastic, the lacing followed me all the way to the bottom of the glass. The body was solid from beginning to end, no problems there. The only reason this beer isn't getting a 5 is because the head wasn't there at the bottom of the glass. Still, an AMAZING appearance, for sure top five best lacing I have ever gotten.

MaltsOfGlory, Nov 04, 2011

RHVC59, Nov 02, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Note: This review from memory from a late lunch earlier today.

On-tap in an imperial pint glass at The Spar in Olympia (now a McMenamins joint).

Copper color with minimal head.

Aroma is floral hops and a little citrus.

Taste follows nose, floral, slightly bitter. A traditional take on a Northwest-style IPA.

draheim, Jul 05, 2011

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

NW_IPAHEAD, Jul 28, 2014

Resuin, Feb 05, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +23.7%

Enjoyed on tap at McMenamin's Six Arms in Seattle.

Appeared a cloudy straw color. Somewhat earthy hop aroma. Light bodied and light malt nicely balanced with English hops and medium bitterness. Very enjoyable IPA. I would have stuck to drinking these IPAs all night, but I wanted to sample some of their other brews.

jclovebrew, Nov 11, 2005
2.05/5  rDev -41.4%

Appears golden with a small white head.

It has almost no smell. This is ridiculous: IPAs should have a bold smell and this has almost no smell to it. I guess I smell a bit of a very faint citrusy and herbal smell.

It has a mild taste to it. There is a slight citrus orange flavor, a very mild caramel flavor and a metallic flavor. The taste ends with a very mild bitterness. This is not bitter enough and lacks the flavor of an IPA. The body is lighter than most IPAs. This seems to be an IPA made for drinkers of bud light.

The carbonation is medium and it has a watery texture to it.

Overall, a horrid IPA that is below average. This is one of the worst IPAs I have had. The flavor of this beer is not nasty but this is not what an IPA should be.

chumba526, Dec 27, 2010

A slightly hazy amber/orange beer. Has a small creamy eggshell white head and good lace. The aroma has a spicey hop note at first. Then some nice malty sweetness and a hint of grapefruit hops in the background. The taste starts with a nice hop nip with a good balancing off set of carmel malt in the middle. With a smooth dry hop finish. This was my first on tap Northwest beer during my trip to Seattle. I expected an over the top hop character. This was nice anyway.

ybnorml, Sep 23, 2005