Kölsch - McMenamins

McMenamins visit their website
United States

Kölsch |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: flagmantho on 08-19-2010)
Reviews by MaltsOfGlory:
MaltsOfGlory

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

I asked the bartender what the name of this beer was and all he said was "Kolsch". I guess it doesn't really have a name then. I then looked on McMenamins website and I couldn't find this beer, apparently it's a seasonal, but there weren't any Kolsch beers listen under the seasonals, or the regular beers. So maybe it's a special beer? Who knows.

Pours an extremely soapy head into a tulip glass, I can literally see the head fizzing away. We will see about lacing. The head overall looks pretty bad, it's already mostly gone, it started with about a one finger width. Btw, the head is completely white. The body is pretty transparent, but it's dark enough that I can't see everything on the other side of the glass. The carbonation looks like it's almost zero, I can't see any bubbles at all. It smells like a pretty standard macro lager, pretty sweet, some light malt. I know it's a lighter german beer, but it smells just like a standard macro lager, maybe just a hair above the standard. Not much to talk about overall on the smell, maybe some honey? The taste is pretty bad, it reminds me of a henry weinharts, which in my book is the lowest you can go before officially reaching macro lager status. Maybe a tiny bit of honey, some light malts, a little sweetness, maybe the smallest hop bite. There really aren't any other flavors other than those, it's such a bland and boring beer. The flavor is below average, giving it a 3 is generous. The mouthfeel is atrocious, basically no carbonation at all, pretty watery in terms of body, maybe a tiny bit of thickness in the body hidden in there somewhere, but for the most part it's super thin and watery. Really nothing to it at all. I'm not a huge fan of Kolsch's, and I know that they are supposed to be a lighter beer, but this is pretty bad even considering all of that. The drinkability isn't bad, but that's only because it's light on the ABV and on the body, it's not very tasty tho. Overall a very average beer, probably a below average beer actually. It's not that great at all, really just a hair above a standard macro lager.

The lacing turned out to be basically non existent. The head was very unusual. Would I say the head was better than your average macro lager? Eh, maybe better, maybe worse. It was just weird, it left some nice foam on top of the body, but when it was first poured it just fizzed away like no other, and dissipated very quickly. The body was slightly cloudy, but pretty clear for the more part, with NO visible carbonation. Overall a pretty bad looking beer.

11-04-2011 04:17:21 | More by MaltsOfGlory

07-02-2014 14:02:25 | More by jakewatt135
flagmantho

Washington

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

I had the McMenamins seasonal Kölsch today at the pub in Mill Creek, Washington. I'm not sure if it's available chain-wide or just here in Mill Creek.

Appearance: hazy orangeish yellow with no head; this can be blamed more on a fair pint than on the beer itself. I liked the bright if not purely authentic color.

Smell: mild, slightly grainy malt aroma. Not a lot of character, but relatively pleasant.

Taste: sweet malt with huge floral hops. This eventually fades into a more earthy bitterness. A highly dynamic flavor and tasty to boot.

Mouthfeel: medium light body with moderate carbonation. Not exciting, but it is good enough for me.

Drinkability: highly tasty and drinkable. I felt the floral bomb flavor was extremely tasty to me, although a bit off-style. Gave it a good rating for flavor but awarding points for personal taste here in drinkability.

08-19-2010 02:13:30 | More by flagmantho
jackmax

Washington

07-10-2014 22:38:50 | More by jackmax
XRAIG

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

05-30-2013 05:07:48 | More by XRAIG
Kölsch from McMenamins
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.