Ruby Ale - McMenamins

good

McMenamins visit their website
United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.39% ABV

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 03-22-2003)
Reviews by MaltsOfGlory:
MaltsOfGlory

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

From what I read on McMenamins website, this is not a wheat beer, which is surprising, but oh well! A pretty aggressive pour only gives me about a finger of head. The head is Maybe just a tiny tiny bit off white, and is already starting to fade. Not sure if it was creamy or soapy to start out with because by the time I looked back at the beer, the head was mostly gone, it's now almost all gone. Not sure about lacing until I drink the beer, but judging by the lack of head, it's not going to be that good. The body is...unusual to say the least. The only time I'm had a raspberry beer was in a bottle, I've never had a strawberry beer. I’ve had plenty of fruity beers though, and I've had a cherry beer in a glass and it looked just like a normal beer, this however, it's...pink. It looks like raspberry lemonade. I mean I get that it's made with raspberries, but....this is kinda ridiculous. Pretty damn cloudy, which is weird because it's not a wheat ale? I really can't see anything on the other side of this beer, and it's all because of the cloudiness, because the beer isn't nearly dark enough to do that on it's own. Can't really see the carbonation due to the cloudiness. We will see how the lacing goes, but overall this beer isn't looking very good. The body is pretty wack, and the head went in a hurry and is all gone now, only small bubbles remain. The smell is pretty nice, it smells much like what the other raspberry beer I've had was like, tart. It basically smells like raspberries, but with a little more tartness to the flavor. A little sweet smelling, but for sure not over the top or anything. Overall it just smells really refreshing and tasty. It's hard to grade the smell, or the taste of a beer like this, because for one, it's a fruity beer, and two I've only had one other raspberry beer. For me the smell is a 3.5, let's just leave it at that, good smelling beer. The taste is, eh, not bad. You get the raspberry flavor for sure, and the tartness, but both of them are much more numbed down than I want. I mean I don't want a beer that is overpowering with the fruit, but this is a little low even considering that. This beer would probably work better with a low fruit flavor, if there were any other flavors at all in the beer, but this beer is just weak. The only other thing I get is a standard beer taste, dare I even say cheap beer taste. I mean I suppose it's supposed to be light so the flavor shouldn't be through the roof, but more flavor never hurt anything, and I've had some pretty flavorful fruit beers. The fruit really isn't even the problem, it's just the lack of flavor overall. It's not to a ridiculous point, it's still tasty, and you can taste most of the things in the beer, but you can for sure notice the lack of flavor. It just kinda tasty like flavored, carbonated water. It's not a bad tasting beer, and I wont mind drinking it, but it is safe to say that a 3.5 is generous for the taste, the smell was for sure better. The mouthfeel is pretty damn bad, like I said it tastes like carbonated water. The body is just....nowhere to be found, it feels like basically water. The carbonation isn't too high or low, it's just...weird, it reminds me of carbonated water, that's the only way I can describe it. Frankly the carbonation level is where it should be, it's just all weird. Overall not a very good mouthfeel. The drinkability is obviously very high because it's a fruit beer, it's light, and low on ABV. Overall it's not that great of a beer, pretty darn average, the best part was for sure the smell. I wont mind drinking it, but I doubt I'll have this one again.

The appearance turned out to be ok, I was able to get a little bit of lacing out of this beer. The lacing was very very patchy, and hard to come by to say the least, but at least it was there. I'm going to give this beer a 3 for appearance, because even though I got some lacing, it wasn't nearly enough to make up for the weird body and the lame head.

11-04-2011 04:29:59 | More by MaltsOfGlory

07-14-2014 06:05:30 | More by PretzelCity
DESTRO

Nevada

3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

girlfriend raves about this stuff and got me a bottle. pours out like grapefruit juice. pink in color with a small white head. very unexpected. the nose is subdued, hint of raspberries and grapefruit, a hint of malt. nice smooth carbonation, tingly. flavor wise its citrusy, fruity, a light hint of grainy malt... not intense at all. but refreshing and could easily replace a soda in the right situation.

04-17-2004 07:26:37 | More by DESTRO

warpedrevolution

11-10-2013 18:52:40 | More by warpedrevolution
mrunseen

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Ruby, as the name implies, carries with it a rather pinkish / orangish hue (which is probably to be expected from a beer brewed with raspberries). This beer is by no means red / purple and is translucent when held to the light. There was a nice head initially, which dissipated with time, leaving minimal lacing as I finished my beer.

Smell: The nose on this beer is one of the berries that give the beer it's coloring (raspberries). It's a pleasant smell that hints at the flavor to follow.

Taste: The fruit taste to this beer is not overwhelming, but rather, just enough to let you know that there was definitely some fruit involved in the brewing process. Overall, it's a nice taste to compliment a hot day.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel of Ruby is nothing out of the ordinary. Mild carbonation and a lighter body.

Drinkability: Very good! On a hot day, it's hard to beat a beer like this. I would highly recommend a cold Ruby when the temperature rises.

12-29-2009 07:35:32 | More by mrunseen
jcalabre

3.48/5  rDev -1.1%

Originally sampled on 21 August 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: The color is almost like ruby grapefruit juice.
Flavor: This beer has a nice tart/sweet taste. It is definitely different. I like it. I'm always willing to try something a little different & McMenamin's, in my opinion, is successfull w/ this one. Also, I think that it is a good hot weather beer

06-28-2003 12:18:11 | More by jcalabre

jakewatt135

07-02-2014 14:00:55 | More by jakewatt135
1whiskey

2.73/5  rDev -22.4%

On tap @ the Cedar Hills pub. This beer is quite a cloudy sawdust color w/ just a hint of pink. No head whatsoever. Server categorized it as an "amber ale w/raspberries", but it sure looks like an unfiltered wheat. Here goes...

Smell is of mild raspberry(duh) tartness and somewhat suprisingly, ice tea. Faint wheat and grass notes. Intrigued, I'm eager to taste this.

Taste is just slightly tart, no bitterness as I can't detect any hops at all. Very thin, barely there malt backdrop becomes evident about halfway through. More tea flavor, as well as some very faint grapefruit notes. No alcohol warming (only 3.3% by volume).

Body is somewhat heavier than you might expect, there's a lot of sediment in this. Not much carbonation to speak of.

Though intitially intrigued, I found myself disappointed. This seems like a beer without an identity. IMO, if you are going to use raspberries in your beer, it should either be rich and sweet(like a frambrozen), or crisp and refreshing(good fruit-infused hefe's are widely available). This is neither, although it could be a decent summer thirst quencher if some of the excess sediment was filtered out. All in all, I found this to basically be a novelty beer for the non-beer drinker in your group. The brewery website says that the hops used to make this "vary", so I may revisit this next summer.

11-02-2005 17:35:33 | More by 1whiskey
DrLipids

09-18-2012 01:46:11 | More by DrLipids
Hopheadjeffery

08-13-2013 18:16:10 | More by Hopheadjeffery
Reidrover

4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

Ah at last I got a Mcmenamin's in bottle, I am used to going to their brew pubs.
I picked up this in the 22oz bomber on the way home tonight.
I have never had the Ruby before so not sure at all of the correct style.
The beer has a really nice look to it a slightly hazy ..almost luminescent orangy colour..odd to describe but its impressive..extremely small head which dissapears real quick leaving a slight lace down the glass.
The smell of the beer is very fruity..almost raspberry..with some nice malt and only a trace of hop near the end . Its good though.
Feels very nice on the tongue good carbonation and not too dry..nice.
This is a most drinkable brew indeed..I could easilly quaff many pints of this little beauty on a summers day!

03-22-2003 21:59:19 | More by Reidrover
Anino531

4.35/5  rDev +23.6%

Got this beer initially as part of a tasting. I had 6 beers at McMenamin's Edgefield and this was my favorite. The beer was Great. I loved the raspberry taste and color. Probably cannot drink this all night due to the sweetness, but overall loved the beer

06-22-2012 00:58:29 | More by Anino531