Cantina - World Brews

awful

World Brews visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-06-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantina Alström Bros
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.37/5  rDev -34.4%

A - Like watered down urine. Very pale, very clear, absolutely no head.

S - Light corn and straw with faint skunkiness.

T - Almost as if it's five parts water to one part lager. Very easy to skull down after an hour in the sun. However, if want like some taste with your beer, look elsewhere.

M - Sparkling water mouthfeel.

O - Nothing offensive here, nothing appealing either, just nothing basically. (406 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours a very pale coloured yellow, paler even, I'd say, than Corona. Head is filmy and light, but relatively fine. Some finely streaming carbonation. Apart from the head, it looks like cheap champagne. Lacing is feathery and light. Looks decent enough.

Nose is very faint and light, with a touch of skunk, and a relatively pleasant grassy character. Some lemony character as well, and I didn't add any lemon, so it's probably not too bad all up.

Taste is very light and minimal. Light sweetness on the front, and a hint of metallic sharpness on the back. Very dry and very flavourless. This is where the beer really falls down, and the sharpness on the back turns slightly artificial the more you drink, which makes the palate overall a little offensive. Feel is light and very dry.

Meh. It's better than the genre's median, but not by a lot. Turns out very bland, but it's pretty light and drinkable. That's undeniable. (923 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +71.8%

I wonder if this brewery has issues with consistency, because the beer I tasted tonight was not as bad as the other reviews I've read would have suggested.

Clear golden brew with very slight white head. Aroma is surprisingly good Smell like fresh grain, wheat and a little bit of corn.

Flavor is sweet without being cloying. Adjunct lagers aren't my thing but this is better than most. More malt than I expected.

Biggest negative was the aftertaste. Way to sweet. Needed some hops or something to balance it out.

Decently full mouthfeel.

Drinkability would have been better if it had just a tinge of hops or something to balance out the sweetness.

Overall, of the better Latin American Lagers I've had.

(note for this review, I'm comparing it to the style. I normally would about a point lower on everything if compared to the average beer) (848 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance - Clear, gold. A chipper color scheme, like what a kindergartner might scrawl in crayon on manilla paper.

Smell - There was a faint scent reminiscent of a riesling wine, which you may know to smell somewhat like gasoline.

Taste - Not good. The best way I can describe it: Salty, gag-inducing Corona.

Mouthfeel - The taste makes it hard to keep in your mouth. Gently swishing this beer in my mouth did not improve the taste. The carbonation was perfect at least.

Drinkability - In war there is no substitute for victory. In beer there is no substitute for taste. The taste of this beer was a disaster. I won't buy it again. I might drink it if a friend I don't want to offend thrusts one into my hand.

Verdict - I tried adding a lime, and that helped marginally, but it still took me about 30 minutes to reluctantly quaff this devil potion. I drank 2 bottles and poured 4 down my sink. It was that bad. I'm no stranger to beer. I can appreciate unfamiliar tastes. This, however, I could not. (1,006 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz clear bottle with a silk-screen style label. No freshness date or info about the beer.

Pale straw yellow with a thin lacing that does not stick, the clarity is fine. Once I popped the cap a quick whiff of a slightly pungent skunk aroma infiltrated my nostrils. Cooked veggies and a husk smell in the back. Decent crispness in the light body, somewhat slick mouth feel. Astringent grain flavors throughout. Processed hop bitterness that has no flavor. Cooked corn with very little malt flavor to play with.

Basically a Corona wannabe ... this beer is screaming for a lime to mask the off flavors. All of this means that it is not worth buying. (649 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +71.3%

Into a pint glass it poured a crystal clear light yellow color with a small head that breaks apart immediately. Light malt smell with a barely detectable hint of bitterness. Taste was a slightly grainy sweet malt presence a mild bitterness. Well balanced but mild in flavor. Mouthfeel was light-medium in body, crisp throughout and a clean aftertaste. For an Amercian adjunct lager the drinkability was half good. Really easy to down and mildly refreshing. I would recommend this to a friend. And at $3.99 a six-pack, one doesn't have much to linvest. Viva El Salvador! (569 characters)

2.4/5  rDev +14.8%

Part of the "8 Best beers around the world" pack from BevMo.

A: Poured a very pale, translucent yellow with virtually no head and no lacing.

S: Smells like your typical light lager; very grainy with some sweet malt and corn notes. Not as much skunk as expected, but it's there.

T: Not much flavor there. Pretty sweet overall, mostly from the light malts and grains. Finishes with a corn flavor and a very slight metallic flavor.

M: Super light but has a good amount of carbonation, it doesn't feel overly carbonated like some others in this category. Pretty watery on the tongue but it goes down smooth.

D: Definitely drinkable, but probably not worthy of seeking out. You can't review this beer without mentioning Corona, as this is an obvious attempt to duplicate that beers success. In my opinion, it falls a bit short on flavor and mouthfeel, but is equally drinkable.

One of the 8 greatest beers in the world? Hardly. Makes me wonder if BevMo is simply trying to get rid of some stock. (996 characters)

2.76/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a clear 12 oz. bottle. This 'Pura Cerveza' pours somewhat light straw in color with a half inch of white foam. Decent retention for the style with a firm carbonation.

Sweetened husky grains on the nose, perhaps a light hint of a noble hop aroma. Comes up a bit short in flavor however. Similar to the nose but very brief on the tongue. Finishes slightly sweet and simple yet unobtrusive, allowing for a decent drinkability. Feel is a bit thin on the other hand, particularly as the liquid outgasses. Consume quickly or drink from the bottle for best results.

Typical in flavor of tropical lagers though somewhat light in body and sweetness compared to many, including anything from neighboring Honduras. (735 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours pale gold with a small head.
Very faint aroma of cardboard, straw and cooked vegetables. Mind you, at least it is faint.
Sweet, weak taste, with more cardboard, toothpaste and corn.
Very watery, but at least the carbonation is not way over the top. (254 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a clear, very light yellow color with a decent cap of white head. Retention is actually not to shabby but does not leave any lacing behind.

A skunkalicious aroma greets the nose, not really like being lightstruck, but more akin to a stinkbug. Other faint hints of milled corn, wet cardboard and cow manure. This is one of the worst smelling beers I've come across in a loooong time. I am sure the clear bottle does not help, but I also dont think that is the only problem here.

Taste is not nearly as bad as the aroma here, mainly because it lacks in that department. Mostly tastes like a piece of cardboard dipped in sparkling water. There's a slight hint of corn and a tickle of a bitter finish. It is not a drain pour, but that is mainly because it tastes like water. Most mexican lagers can beat this one. Boy, am I glad I only purchased a single of this. (867 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +19.6%

This pours a clear golden straw colour with very little head.

A tough of graininess on the node and a little fruitiness. A bit "clean".

Very bland on the palate. Very much a mass produced dumbed down thing in the Corona mould. I know why they put lime in theses things.

Crisp mouth feel.

Take me to El Salvador and I would probably drink this by the bucket load but not in Melbourne town. (392 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - 2.5
Poured a finger and a half of bubbly white head that steadily reduced to a thin layer. Colour is a clear and very pale straw yellow.

Smell - 2.0
No real off aromas, not much in the way of smell at all. There is a slight, soft fruitiness that probably should not be there and a vague grain aroma.

Taste - 1.5
Not much flavour either. Slightly sweet, some corn grain and husk and very little in the way of hops in the dry finish. The aftertaste is quite nasty, somewhat astringent.

Mouthfeel - 2.5
Moderately carbonated and moderately weighted in the mouth. Does not go down smoothly largely due to the bad taste.

Drinkability - 2.5
When served fridge cold this is not too difficult to drink, but I will not be coming back to it.

OVERALL - 2
This is an obvious Corona competitor, and much as I dislike Corona (overpriced, very average, more popular than it deserves), it is a better beer than Cantina. This is not a terrible beer, but it is very bland with noticeable off-flavours and as such, needs to be served at fridge temperature to be drinkable. It is cheap, but for just a little more you can get some decent beers. Avoid. (1,149 characters)

2.3/5  rDev +10%

What is a cheap four pack of lager from El Salvador doing on a supermarket shelf in rural Shropshire? Waiting for a mug like me to buy it I suppose. There must be more people drinking beers from around the world than I thought.

The first bottle (355ml clear) didn't touch the sides. I had been gardening and then chopping and sawing wood. I needed the preverbial 'lawnmower beer', this fitted my requirement perfectly. A beer for the sweaty man, not for a beer lover. I detected no aroma, or taste, just a wet substance that was fizzy.

I thought this unfair and poured a second bottle into a Hoegaarden Grand Cru stemmed tulip glass.

what I saw was the same pale urine coloured liquid, but this time with a good looking white foam head. Sadly the head fell away leaving bits of its self on the side of the glass and an intermitant covering over the beer.

I give an average score of 3 for all lager/pilsners unless there is something extra, or nasty to report. This gets the 3, an aroma of rice and wheat may have been there, but the bottle claims malted barley is used, it is obviously an aromaless variety.

Taste etc was thin, weak and with a Corona type feel to it, a burping beer because it is so gassy. I will not be rushing back to the store for more, but it does help me in my quest to drink beers from as many different countries as I can. This is country number 38 I believe. (1,388 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -48.3%

Pours a clear light straw color. A thin white head above a well carbonated beverage.

Smells are skunky, slightly sweet. Oh boy, I am not looking forward to this one.

Taste matches smell with skunk up front followed by an odd sweetness of malt that is tried to be matched by something resembeling bitterness but might be more skunkiness instead.

Avoid. (354 characters)

2.58/5  rDev +23.4%

Pours a clear straw color with rocky white head, fades quickly, spotty lacing. Smell: light grain, pale malt, passing skunk, vegetative smell. Taste: astringent grain, corn, boiled hops, dms. Mouthfeel: light bodied. Worth a lime, and that's not a good thing. (259 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -23.9%

My third brew from La Constancia, and by-far the worst of the three. 12 oz. clear bottle with no freshness date. The beer pours very pale gold, with high initial carbonation that leads up to a two inch, white head. In the nose, nothing but adjuncts and a strange Play-Doh aroma. Slight lemon flavor, and what little else is there tastes of adjuncts. The body is light with high carbonation and has no discernible finish. Very bad. This beer is as low-quality and tasteless as the packaging implies. Barely tolerable - if you must drink it, consume ice-cold with a big slice of lime. (582 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -48.3%

I normally would never buy $hit like this but my wife's friend brought a 6 pack into my house this past weekend. When I came home from work today I grab one out of the fridge....big mistake. This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had!

A - Poured a golden yellow straw color with no head. Presented in a clear 12oz bottle which was prime for skunking as it envited in every possible ray of beer destroying light.

S - As soon as I popped open the cap I could swear a skunk pissed all over my kitchen! nuff said.

T - Taste like someone pissed in a bottle of Corona! Bitter too!

M - Fizzy and fizzy some more, and it kinda burns the back of your throat.

D - Absolutely not!! It was very unpleasant. I'm going to give them to my neighbor who only drinks Genesee in the can! (784 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +29.2%

Appearance - Pale gold with a thin head, which pretty much completely disappeared quickly.

Smell - Pleasant grain smells. More mature than most lagers.

Taste - Similar to Corona, but a little more mature and pleasant. Still quite metallic, though.

Mouthfeel - Watery, low carbonation, mediocre aftertaste.

Drinkability - Just like the fairly similar Corona, this will go down quickly and easily.

Overall - I would recommend this to drinkers of Corona or Tooheys Extra Dry. Certainly not to anyone with taste, though. (521 characters)

2.68/5  rDev +28.2%

Pours a very light straw color with chunky head that fades away very quickly, leaving a thin layer on top, but lacing the glass. Smells very yeasty and a little tinny. The taste clean and a little sweet without any noticeable bitterness. Not bad at all. The mouthfeel is heavy but a little watery. No carbonation at all. Overall, I could probably drink a few no problem, same as water. I'd rather have a beer with some flavor though. (433 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -1.4%

A-Nice light straw colored beer that had about an inch of head that quickly dissipated. Left no lacing to speak of.

S-Pretty distinct skunkiness. Slightly vegetal, nothing even remotely pleasant that I could pick out.

T-Stereotypical cheap Mexican beer taste. Slightly malty, obviously adjunct-ridden. I do not understand how anyone can really like this. It is nothing more than palatable. Tastes just like Corona to me and I do not like Corona, but if you do then this is probably a decent substitute.

M-Actually seemed a little bit thicker than I would have expected but overall a light crisp texture.

D-I would not buy this beer again unless it was on sale for CHEAP and I was just trying to get some booze in me. Nothing to enjoy or discuss about this beer. It is exactly what I expected when I purchased this beer and probably exactly what it was intended to be...a cheap beer to give Bud Light fans another option on a hot afternoon. (951 characters)

2.22/5  rDev +6.2%

The pour reveals a light urine yellow body with half centimetre soapy head that quickly dissipates and leaves no lacing.

It smells like your regular cheap macro, nothing worthy of note here.

Upon first sip the bitter hops register, along with corn and grain. Extremely bland, do they even use malt in this?

The mouthfeel is crisp but hardly enjoyable. You might, and I use the word with hesitatation, might find it refreshing on a hot summers day.

The upside is that it's extremely easy to drink due to how water-like it is. Grab yourself a lime and savour the fact you could drink a carton without feeling bloated.

Obviously a Corona clone, this beer looks smells and tastes almost identical (which is poor in all departments). The only upside here is that it's AUD $25 cheaper than a carton of Corona, so if you're looking for a terrible American macro lager, look for Cantina and save yourself some dollars. (925 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Popped the cap off, and even at arms length I could smell a huge wave of skunk coming off this thing. This bottle most certainly did not take the trip to America well. Bottle looks like a Corona clone, nice and clear, and attracting all the sunlight it can. Visually, looks kinda light and syrupy...again like Corona.

Tastes not unlike how is smells. Mouthfeel's weird and tingly on the way down. Barely drinkable. This stuff is icky, icky, icky. Tastes like someone juiced a skunk over some corn husk. Avoid at all costs. (525 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -21.1%

Definitely a Corona copy. Opening aroma (odour!) is a bit skunky but this is possibly some sort of corn mash stink. My wife called out "wet dog" when I was considering the smell but she also declared her immense satisfaction with it which appalled me.

The taste is exactly like Corona; non-existant. Nothing at all except maybe a ricey sort of imperceptible grain note that diminishes the more you try to find it. I totally disagree with the reviewers who said this beer is revolting. Revolting implies some sort of flavour and there is absolutely none in this beer. Soda water. (582 characters)

Cantina pours a pale yellow color with a white head from a clear twelve ounce bottle. The odor is skunky, think Corona. Tastes pretty much like a Corona knockoff, and not a particularly good one at that. Apparently, a lot of people like this type of swill. Not recommended. (273 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance is a bright yellow color with no head.

Smell is skunky with straw and malt hints to it, not that great.

Taste is very plain with a malty (malt liqour like), also has a very rice taste as well.

Lots of carbonation with a very light moutfeel.

Never will buy agian. Well I should never say never. ;) (319 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast