R.J. King Wingwalker Pale Ale - World Brews

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: scruffwhor on 07-08-2006

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.18/5  rDev +1%

Serving was straight from a 12 ounce bottle to glass..

Appearance: Well, not much to say but looked like I just poured some filtered honey in my glass. Light amber/golden color with small head that dissapeared rather quickly...

Smell/Taste: Smell was not impressive because of the unbalanced aroma of hops and orange peel. Taste was of the same with slight bitter caramel aftertaste which was rather 'ok' for me...

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: My palate was not working with me on this one as the citrus tinge in my mouth and caramel/hops lingered after. Otherwise, drinkability is certainly there with this Pale Ale...

2.96/5  rDev -6%

Drank this at a buddy's house, he had picked this up on sale at a local grocery store. Pretty much a run of the mill Pale Ale, although not as much hop aroma or taste as I expect in an American Pale Ale. Not offensive though, and besides from being a little bland, was definitely sessionable. Not something I'd buy personally, as I can crank out a better Pale Ale on my own.

Was surprised to learn later about the brewery that created this and their dubious products; must have stretched their brewmasters to their limits. I can almost hear, "What, no CORN?! What do you mean I have to bitter higher than 10 IBUs?! What's an aroma hop addition?" and so on.

3.67/5  rDev +16.5%

A- Medium golden color, slightly cloudy with thin head that sticks around
S- The best part, nice hoppy and grassy smell with hints of cinnamon?
T- slightly sweet with floral and grassy components, aftertaste is there but not too strong
M- Light to Medium
D- Above average but not super drinkable. A couple at a time, no more.

Overall I liked this beer. It has a nice hoppy flavor that is prominent enough. The taste is good with a slightly sweet and toased malt character. It has a good mouthfeel, kind of substantial without being overbearing. I could drink a few of these.

3.98/5  rDev +26.3%

Contrary to what others have wrote, I think this beer is pretty good! Poured into a pint glass it appears a great butterscotch, amber color. One finger head with a moderate amount of lacing down the glass. Its nose is sweet and spicy, mostly toasty notes. Its flavor is spicy and citrusy, the hops come through nicely. It was a tad on the sweeter side, but not too much. Mouthfeel is great, moderate amount of carbonation, easily drinkable, refreshing, and priced right. For $5.99 a six-pack, this Pale Ale is great alternative to your typical grocery store brews and is surprisingly tastey! Try this one.

3.97/5  rDev +26%

Poured a clear amber color with 1/2" head. The head has great retention, with nice lacing.

Very nice aroma, very hoppy with lots of bright citrus undertones.

As expected, a very citrusy and hoppy flavor, that was fairly well balanced. Not a bad tasting beer, definitely worth a try.

Nice mouthfeel, not too thin, not too thick. Proper carbonation.

Overall, a very drinkable beer. Well rounded, and I will be buying again.

3.72/5  rDev +18.1%

RJ Wingwalker started showing up at the local Jewel-Oscos several months ago. I was skeptical at first, thinking this was another Plank Road type swindle. As far as I can tell though, it's just a brewery that got distribution in a huge grocery store for some reason.

That's a good thing though, because I think this is the closest thing to real beer that I've seen there yet. I'm tired of having to get guiness or sierra nevada every time. Plus they have frequent sales, I picked up a 12-pack for 10.99 yesterday; they had fat tire on the same shelf for 16.99.

I don't usually use a glass, so I don't really know what it looks like. It already comes in a container that I can drink out of, ya know?

The smell, as other reviewer have said, tells you all you need to know. Flowery hops and a strong citrus aroma. That's pretty much what it tastes like. It's a bit dry, and it's hard to pound them down for some reason, despite the modest alcohol content.

Still, overall it's a pleasant tasting beer and a great bargain. It's got a bit more character that sierra nevada pale ale, the "other" grocery store beer (around here anyway).

I don't know if this is available outside of chicagoland, but if you're in the area and you need to go over there by jewels for some milk and eggs, check out the wine and spirits section, 'cause they have beer too.

3.86/5  rDev +22.5%

Pours a light amber with nice fluffy, persistent head. Absolutely brilliantly clear. A very inviting beer to simply look at!

Initial smell is a slightly underwhelming whiff of citrus hops (possibly cascade and centennial). Despite this, one might forgive the lack of hop kick in the nose due to the length of time on the shelf.

Taste is clean. VERY clean. No yeast flavor present. It's almost a yeast flavour unto itself - the really clean fermentation flavour. Hops just slightly more prominent in the taste with a nice, well-balanced bitterness.

All in all, an enjoyable APA from a previously unknown (by me) american brewery.

1.82/5  rDev -42.2%

looks good after pouring into glass

smell is all malt almost "stale" , didn't like it

taste was very much like "paste " from first grade ...sorry, i dont mean to be rude or mean, ,, it just was real bad. Pale Ale has a taste, floaral, for example , bitter, for example this is not Pale Ale.

foamy mouth, good distribution of taste.

would not want this beer to be the only beer around

4.02/5  rDev +27.6%

I like this one. Smell of citrus. When you drink it it has a good bite to it. Goes down smooth with a somewhat bitter fruity after taste (to me at least).

Very drinkable but not the best pale ale I have had but still a decent beer.

I say try a six pack and decide for yourself.

3.86/5  rDev +22.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle from albertson (six pack was only $7).
I really enjoyed this beer overall. The hops are present but not overpowering. It has a lightly carmel-sweet flavor (maybe a bit of cirtrus). The head was decent but not great, and the lacing was a bit spotty. However the drinkability and the overall flavor IMO is very good. Not quite as bitter as a sierra nevada and a bit sweeter. Good beer overall and i'll definitely buy it again.

2.22/5  rDev -29.5%

1st review, so bear with me here...

I enjoy sampling different beers from the grocery store. Wide variety of 12 packs, I prefer to stay away from the more mass produced brands, and if something is on sale, it's even better.

This pale ale was on sale, regular $17.99 to $12.99 for a 12 pack, so I figured I'd give it a try. From the time I twisted the top - I was fully expecting a pop top - I knew it wasn't going to be good. The smell was adequate, the taste was mediocre and the drinkability, well, it's better than Budweiser.

Overall, I would not recommend this beer at all. It's slightly below average, though for the price it's downright horrible.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last